Author Topic: Depor Pre Match  (Read 2263 times)

Offline miffed

• Kopite
Depor Pre Match
« on: October 31, 2004, 07:06:38 pm »
i'm scared shitless.

would not put money on our chances of advancing. :-\

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re: Depor Pre Match
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 07:13:05 pm »
I'll be getting drunk In A Coruna. :D
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Phoenix

• Kopite
  • Centre Half Enforcer for AFC Waterside.
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 07:16:18 pm »
Im confident about this match, dont ask me why but i have a feeling itll be a turning point for us
"We buy balloons, we let them go"...

Offline wellsie82

• Where's me tractorrrrrrrrr?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 07:16:39 pm »
am not looking forward to it either

haven't they got a really impressive home record in europe?
the best cashback site on the net.... Click here to get signed up

Offline Nicoliverpool

• French Pie Eating Champion 2007
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We shall not be moved
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 07:20:16 pm »
i'm also fucking pessimistic, but EVEN if we lose there, a win in Monaco followed by one at home v Olmypiakos and we're through i reckon... now if we are able to win in Monaco or not is another matter, but i'll probably be too drunk there to realise what's happening  :wave
Yanks out

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 07:23:50 pm »

Interesting piece from the Sunday Times about some of the history of Valencia v Deportivo and Rafa v Deportivo/Irureta...

Quote from: Sunday Times today
Spanish inquisition JOHN AIZLEWOOD

Rafa Benitez returns to Spain for the first time as an exile tomorrow, to find parts of the country nostalgic for him. At Valencia, the club he left as Spanish champions in the summer, an alarming sequence of defeats has all but erased Claudio Ranieri’s encouraging start. Even at Real Madrid, on their third coach in five months, some have muttered about the one that got away. Benitez, now of Liverpool, began in Madrid’s managerial ranks.
But in La Coruña, the ovations will be brief. At the Riazor stadium, they will be inaudible. Benitez expects nothing else: “Spanish supporters in general would have no problem welcoming me, but Deportivo’s?” He chuckles at the thought. “They will be waiting for us.” It won’t quite be Millwall, but it will hiss.

Hereby hangs a history, not so much a personal animosity, rather a feud into which Benitez has had to step at least twice a year for the past three, and which Group A of the Champions League obliges him to revisit, albeit in a new blazer. To be associated with Valencia in this corner of Galicia is like wearing a target on the back of your tracksuit top.

The Deportivo-Valencia rivalry goes back a decade. “It comes from a time before I was manager of Valencia,” Benitez stresses. “Deportivo were a small club, and they went to the top of the table. On the last day of the season, they played Valencia. If Depor win, they win the title.”

It stood 0-0 when the match tip-toed into stoppage time. Cue drama: “Deportivo get a penalty, the Valencia keeper saves it, and celebrates.”

The important point is that Valencia have nothing at stake in the game but respond ecstatically at the final whistle. Why? “People said Valencia received money from Real Madrid,” recalls Benitez.

In Spain, they call it a maleta (maleta is a suitcase), a “consideration” paid to a team’s players by a third party for a positive result when that third club has something at stake. Years later, an outgoing president of Barcelona said he had arranged for Valencia to be rewarded if they held Depor that night. Barcelona won the title.

There’s the background. If the years did not soothe the wounds, some vivid contests made companions of the two managers who meet on Wednesday night. Javier Irureta and Benitez contributed much to establishing the Spanish League as Europe’s finest since the turn of the century, for giving it depth. In May 2000, Depor’s Irureta became the first manager to take the title out of Madrid or Barcelona for 16 years. Then Beni tez’s Valencia won it twice, always with Deportivo close behind.

Irureta and Benitez — who will also face winger Victor, a man whose career he launched as a junior at Real Madrid — are of different generations, different backgrounds. The 44-year-old Liverpool manager is a madrileno, brisk and ordered; Irureta is 56, born in Basque Country, with the mien of a scatty professor.

Benitez talks of their contrasting approaches, but they have common points of strategy. Behind Irureta’s success with Deportivo has been a belief in the value of the squad, the 22, the plan B. If his tinkering sometimes provoked difficulties with higher-profile players, it sustained Depor’s success in consistently competing with wealthier clubs in Europe. Benitez’s Valencia became a better team than Barcelona or Madrid for most of his time there, partly because they had a deeper squad, so he could rotate his players systematically, scientifically. “We’re different in philosophy,” says Benitez. “Comparing us when I was at Valencia, Depor normally had more control of the ball, more possession. We could keep the ball too, but we played more on the counter-attack.”

Over the course of their duels, Irureta has an edge on Benitez, especially at the Riazor. In a dozen meetings between the managers, Irureta has won six and drawn two. Still, there are a couple of nights to stand out in the younger man’s memory. In Benitez’s first campaign in the Spanish first division, as a young manager of Extremadura, he took a creditable point away from La Coruña. As head coach of second-division Tenerife, he bundled the then League champions out of the Spanish Cup.

The rest were intense. In 2002, after a hostile Super Cup final — Spain’s version of the Community Shield — at the Riazor, Benitez accused the Spanish League authorities of sharing responsibility for violent behaviour in the stands. His goalkeeper, Santiago Canizares, had been struck on the jaw by a radio battery. The next encounter featured a red card after three minutes. Later that season, Valencia won at Deportivo, an achievement which, should he repeat it this week, will restore Liverpool to the top half of the group, on course to reach the knockout stages. Deportivo, on two points from three games, require the maximum. So far they have scored in only one of five matches, and that was in the home leg of qualifying against Shelbourne.

Benitez senses that Depor have been finding their way out of their dry start, and he knows them backwards, man for man. He has been personally gratified to see Victor recalled to the national squad, though he will be professionally pleased that his opponents are not at full strength. “They are not at their best because midfielder Mauro Silva has been injured,” he says. “But they’re good enough to do well without him.”

Twelve days ago, Irureta and Benitez drew 0-0 on Merseyside. A repeat suits neither. “Deportivo’s goalkeeper saved them at Anfield,” says Benitez, “and the first half was the best performance Liverpool have had in my time. When you play like that against a good team like them, it means something.”

There is no danger of Benitez pining for home. He likes his new job, and those around him detect it: “My wife says that although I’ve got a five-year contract, she’s getting the idea we’re going to stay for 15.”

LiNK HERE

87:13

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 07:40:51 pm »
Well Deportivo only drew 0-0 at home to Albacete tonight so hopefully we will be able to pull off a similiar result.
(And Owen scored again - 4 in a row)
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 07:47:07 pm »
As I said in the other thread, there's no reason on this season's games to be 'scared shitless' about them. I'm certainly not. I'm not saying we'll go and play them off the park and cruise to a win but I wouldn't put it past us getting all three points.

Perhaps, away from home, we're not looking too good but the same can be said about them at home. At the Riazor, they've won just once in six games (five in the league, one in Europe) this season.

Offline saltynuts

• I need to be loved
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thank you
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 07:51:46 pm »
AHH SHUSH YA BIG TARTS!!!

LETS GO IN THERE AND TWAT THESE UGLY FUCKERS!!!!
"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 07:53:46 pm »
I hope we get a strong ref. They kicked the shit out of Milan the other week and I can see them doing the same this time around.

Certainly not scared shitless,I can see us going there and nicking it by the one goal, just need a goal solid defensive performance and some clinical finishing when we get a chance.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 08:52:11 pm »
Given the nature of the group the only situation I can envisage is that it will come down to that last home game for us so let's just enjoy it eh?

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 08:52:47 pm »
Why so negative ? we played them off the park 2 weeks ago .... we did everything but score ... can their luck last another 90 minutes  ;D

they're not as bad as their position in the group suggests , they've only one away game left to play , but they haven't scored in their 3 games yet and drew nil nil tonight at home so I have a really good feeling about this one
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #12 on: November 1, 2004, 10:28:13 pm »
My team anyway:

Kirkland

Finnan  Hyypia  Carragher  Traore

Garcia/Kewell  Hamann   Alonso  Riise

Garcia/Kewell  Baros

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 2, 2004, 02:02:32 am »
I'm quietly confident. Didn't think they were anything amazing when we played them the other week. Obviously it won't be an easy game, but I'm certainly not frightened.

Kewell is pretty likely to start I think, this is a big game for him.

Offline HarleyKewell7

• Anny Roader
  • Hasn't got a bad passing range, this lad
« Reply #14 on: November 2, 2004, 07:25:22 am »
We need to be on the look-out for Valeron and Harry Kewell (if played) needs to get his act together.

Those 2 things are vital, alone, if we are to get through the group.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2004, 07:34:14 am by HarleyKewell7 »
Why did we sell Heskey?

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #15 on: November 2, 2004, 09:37:43 am »
Lets Twat Em!!!!!!!!!! 2-1 to the Reds Garcia and Milan  to score
CMOOOOOON YOU REDMEN
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #16 on: November 2, 2004, 09:49:28 am »
Deportivo are not in the best run of form, we are un-beaten since Chelsea.  Come on lets be positive, we have the ability to get a decent result.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #17 on: November 2, 2004, 10:41:46 am »
The lads will be playing for Djibril.
Milan's playing like a man possessed.
Xabi's running the show.
Luis is starting to travel better.
Riise's found his shooting boots.
And Harry is coming back to his best.

Depor beware...

Offline Paul Ando

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Back Anfield Arnie.
« Reply #18 on: November 2, 2004, 11:21:52 am »
I'll be getting drunk In A Coruna. :D

Ditto :D
***** BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA!*****

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 3, 2004, 08:28:46 am »
Benítez seeks goalscoring solution

Cisse's broken leg has left Liverpool desperately short of striking options versus Deportivo La Coruña

Dominic Fifield
Wednesday November 3, 2004
The Guardian

Rafael Benítez returned to his homeland last night but, with his thoughts awhirl over events back on Merseyside, the exile appeared distracted as he set foot on Spanish soil. Djibril Cissé's broken leg has left Liverpool gummy and the manager desperately in search of new bite once the winter transfer window reopens in January.

The scouts have been dispatched, the aim to find a striker young, cheap and prolific enough to ensure Benítez's side continue to develop in their record signing's anticipated 10-month absence. "If we find someone of the right quality who is not expensive, we will sign him," said the Spaniard, his thoughts momentarily deflected from this evening's Champions League contest against Deportivo La Coruña at the Riazor.

Benítez would ideally aim to lure Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes, a player he hoped to sign in exchange for Michael Owen back in August. Uefa has confirmed that Morientes can move abroad for a second time in 12 months, given that his spell in France with Monaco last season was on loan, though negotiating with Real mid-season is notoriously problematic.

Instead, the Liverpool scouts were at Real Zaragoza on Sunday watching the 22-year-old David Villa score twice against Sevilla. The under-21 international may be too similar to Milan Baros but he has pace and ability and privately would relish the challenge on offer at Anfield.

"But nobody has told me anything," he said. "I'm contracted until 2008 and, until anyone tells me otherwise, I'll keep playing for Real Zaragoza."

Benítez visited Cissé in hospital on Monday and found the Frenchman in good spirits. "Djibril had a good mentality when I saw him. He said he wanted to be back before the end of the season. We will see how his rehabilitation goes."

In the meantime, the manager must conjure an attack from Baros, Luís García, Harry Kewell, Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Neil Mellor to tackle a Deportivo side who have kept 10 clean sheets in their past 12 European home games.

Even with Cissé, Liverpool were scoreless at Anfield a fortnight ago. The time has come - yet again, it seems - for Kewell to prove his qualities more consistently, though he may start on the bench.

Lose in Galicia and Liverpool may limp towards the last two group games bottom of their mini-league; win and they will be rejuvenated. Their approach will hinge upon whether Xabi Alonso recovers from a calf strain to play.

"I think we've got a special player in Alonso," said Jamie Carragher. "He could get in any team in the league."

Carragher will have to stiffen the side's occasionally rickety defence to keep out Diego Tristán. "He [Tristán] is a fantastic player," said Benítez. "He will play because Deportivo are looking to solve their goalscoring problems."

Benítez has his own worries on that front and failure tonight could have repercussions on the money he has available to replace Cissé when the transfer window reopens.

Deportivo la Coruña (4-2-3-1, probable): Molina; Héctor, César, Andrade, Capdevila; Duscher, Sergio; Víctor, Valerón, Luque; Tristán.

Liverpool (4-4-1-1, probable): Kirkland; Josemi, Carragher, Hyypia, Traoré; Finnan, Xabi Alonso, Hamann, Riise; Luis García; Baros.

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #20 on: November 3, 2004, 09:09:01 am »
The lads will be playing for Djibril.
Milan's playing like a man possessed.
Xabi's running the show.
Luis is starting to travel better.
Riise's found his shooting boots.
And Harry is coming back to his best.

Depor beware...
I like it
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 3, 2004, 10:39:47 am »
really think didi is our key player tonight, to break up their attacks, i know i might be slated but i think Gracia should be on the bench tonight, just feel he gives the ball away alot away from home and we need to keep hold of it, m

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 3, 2004, 10:44:33 am »
really think didi is our key player tonight, to break up their attacks, i know i might be slated but i think Gracia should be on the bench tonight, just feel he gives the ball away alot away from home and we need to keep hold of it, m

But he's used to Spanish football, and was always good away from home in Spain - it's just getting used to away games in this Liverpool side, and in the Premiership, mainly.

I'd play him, as he's class and we're short of attacking options.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 3, 2004, 10:50:38 am »
He is class and true he knows thw spainish game, iam judging him on games away in the league were sometimes when he could hold the ball up better instead of trying flicks and tricks that dont come off and put us under pressure as a result, just feel deportivo we'll be all out tonight and we need our players up front to hold the ball, thats why id play kewell up with baros, keep finnan out wide and have garcia as an option on the bench, then again who made me manager

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 3, 2004, 11:08:34 am »
Taken from today's Racing Post:

"Rumours remain rife that Jamie Carragher is Liverpool’s new penalty taker and with Cisse out of the way his claims look even stronger. Bet365 and Blue Square may see interest in their 80-1 first goalscorer quotes, as the Scouser is 20-1 elsewhere."

It can't be true, can it? Okay, we haven't had a penalty so far this season but we must get one sooner or later and 80-1 Jamie might be worth snapping up.
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 3, 2004, 11:14:00 am »
Taken from today's Racing Post:

"Rumours remain rife that Jamie Carragher is Liverpool’s new penalty taker and with Cisse out of the way his claims look even stronger. Bet365 and Blue Square may see interest in their 80-1 first goalscorer quotes, as the Scouser is 20-1 elsewhere."

It can't be true, can it? Okay, we haven't had a penalty so far this season but we must get one sooner or later and 80-1 Jamie might be worth snapping up.

Remember his peno in against birmingham in the worthy? carra started off as a striker

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 3, 2004, 01:55:28 pm »
We aim to reign in Spain

Nov 3 2004

By Chris Bascombe In La Coruna, Liverpool Echo   

RAFA BENITEZ has warned his Liverpool players defeat is unthinkable as the Reds prepare for tonight's crunch match with Deportivo La Coruna.  Benitez's men need at least a point to preserve a strong position ahead of their final games against Olympiakos and Monaco.  Anything less will leave the Reds rock bottom, fighting to prevent instant elimination from Europe.  The Spanish coach insists his side will go all out for victory in the Riazor Stadium. "We will go out there only with the idea of winning," said Benitez.  "Of course, the most important thing is that we don't lose, but I won't ask my team to play for a draw. We want three points.  "We know if we can get a victory we may only need one more win to qualify from the group." Benitez ' fears surrounding Xabi Alonso's fitness have been eased. The midfielder trained last night and will be declared fit ahead of kickoff having recovered from a calf strain.

The Reds boss is deciding whether to give Harry Kewell the task of filling the void left by Djibril Cisse's injury or entrust Luis Garcia to partner Milan Baros in attack.
La Coruna will reserve a hostile reception for the Reds due to their longtime rivalry with all Valencia connections.  Ten years ago, the home side lost La Liga when Valencia drew in the Riazor Stadium amid allegations the club was paid off by Barcelona. Since then, all those with a love for the current Spanish champions have been targets of hate, so Benitez knows he will not be welcomed to this part of his homeland. He added: "I know Deportivo are very strong at home. They have enjoyed a lot of success against top Champions League sides in their own stadium. They are very good at keeping possession. "I have enjoyed mixed results here. Once I lost 3- 0 with Valencia, although on another occasion we managed to win 2-0. It was always difficult when we played there."
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.