Author Topic: Blackburn 2 Liverpool 2 - post-match comments here  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Blackburn 2 Liverpool 2 - post-match comments here
« on: October 30, 2004, 07:10:18 pm »
 :wave

Offline Mrfabulous

• Legacy Fan
Re: Blackburn 2 Liverpool 2 - post-match comments here
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 07:11:01 pm »
fucking bollox

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 07:11:20 pm »
Gritty performance against over-aggressive Blackburn.

Tugay could have been sent off five times over.

Draw was an okay result, having been 2-1 down and losing Cisse to a broken leg.

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 07:11:45 pm »
Gutted! Baros should have passed it to Garcia to make the 3rd goal.
Really gutted!  :butt

Off to bed.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 07:11:53 pm »
Decent result, hard game but entertaining nonetheless. Did well to get a point considering. Hope Cisse won't be too bad but fear the worst.

Offline COR

• Kopite
  • 2 Times RAWK World Texas Holdem Champion
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 07:12:38 pm »
The result was deserved, the bigger disappointment is definitely Cisse's injury.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 07:13:42 pm »
Gutted! Baros should have passed it to Garcia to make the 3rd goal.
Really gutted!  :butt

A bit harsh - he did make the chance for himself, and cut inside the last man. Unlucky.

Milan was amazing. Alonso class as ever, and Garcia lively.

Josemi is starting to worry me a little... Not slating him, just how he makes me feel.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 07:14:11 pm »
Sorry this might sound harsh but i thought we were shite today and lucky.

We came into this match, from the players at least with the wrong attitude, we thought we only need turnup to win. We looked sluggish and unorganised, Josemi was all over the place Hyppia had one of his games were he couldnt get his feet off the ground, and Hamann was pish, didnt pass, tackle or anything.

Blackburn are a divison one side at best yet we couldnt hardly compete, littl;e dickov put himself around more than our centre backs could handle. I know its still a learning process but for fucks sake you've got to put teams like this to the sword, and we could have done with a bit m,ore battle and compose.

Very disappointed and i imagine raf is too. Poor display for me.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 07:16:14 pm »
Oh and also - why do these fucking no marks always score on there debut against us???
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 07:16:28 pm »
to be honest, I thought we underestimated them after scoring early.

Agree with other posters, Blackburn are cannon-fodder. We should beat them easily.
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 07:21:11 pm »
Hard earned point for us today. Cisse's injury is a massive blow hopefully he won't be out to long but I do fear the worst. Nice to see Milan take his tally to 7 for this season but Blackburn were far too aggressive, how Tugay remained on the pitch is a mystery to me and a nice shot from Xabi on Barry Ferguson. At least we're above Man Utd on goal difference with a game in hand.

Pheeny

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 07:24:03 pm »
I reckon after seeing a team mate leave the field with such a bad injury any team would struggle!So in fairness they did well to get back into the game and by all accounts nearly win.

Offline BlueEyes

• Main Stander
  • I love Ayumi :)
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 07:24:24 pm »
Before the match, I would have agreed we should beat Blackburn easily. But the match proved otherwise, with Blackburn hungry for result(s). I would say a draw is a fair result. Blackburn played well but we didn't play badly either.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 07:26:17 pm »
The break changed the game - no doubt about it.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 07:26:20 pm »
Oh and also - why do these fucking no marks always score on there debut against us???

so true  >:(  i knew that jay bothroyd would score  :no and  had a nasty feeling that stead might have breaked  his duck against us as well, i hope Cisse injury isnt career threatning, it was a horrible sight to see esp in the replay i felt sick  :puke  when i saw that  i wasent too bothered about the result after that  :-[  but saying that  we could have won this match but then again so could have blackburn  if not for a clearance from luis garcia on the goal line from craig short and some decent saves from Englands no.1 , a draw seems fair result although how close was hyppia from scoring the winnner  right at the end from kewells cross? :o
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 07:35:08 pm by Steven Gerrard »
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2004, 07:27:25 pm »
Sickened by Djibril's injury. It was a total accident though. I just hope it's a clean break and he can get back for the start of next season - for his sake as much as ours.

It was a battling performance, showing where we've improved under Rafa (more attacking, more passing, more pressing), but at the same time showing that we still have a fair way to go in terms of challenging for the title.

Glad to get a point in the end. Djibril's serious injury, along with Blackburn's comeback, has ended any glimmering hope in my mind that we can gatecrash the title race.

Florence Sinama-Pongolle: your time has arrived. And January can't come quick enough because we're down to the bare bones. Still delighted with our progress this season though.

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 07:29:43 pm »
Fair result in the end.Hamman is looking slower every game i'm afraid.Agree with the comment about Josemi being a little worrying-he appeared to give up on occasions too. 

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2004, 07:30:12 pm »
Not too dishearted about the game or the result. Major issue is Ciise.

I thought Emerton was excellent and would have given any right back a major problem, in saying that I thought Josemi was below par.

Still don't understand Diao being ahead of Igor?

Given other results today a point will do.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2004, 07:31:37 pm »
Dissapointed.
And agree with a lot of the comments already aired however, teams of this level where knocking us aside last season now we at least fight. Some of our 1 touch passing was very good and at times we looked odds on to go on and win. Think that this after the Millwall fight (sorry game) was the proving of a couple of the new imports. Xabi, Luis, and the V combative Josemi did not shirk 1 tackle. Pleasing that.

Once this team nears its potential, teams like this will be swept away. until then, we will win more than we lose.

Get well soon Cisse, and play on Milan, great today.
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 07:31:53 pm »
Josemi's lack of pace seems to be causing him to get to the attacker late, causing him to put in a rash tackle. Hopefully he'll settle down.

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2004, 07:32:51 pm »
Entertaining but scrappy game, thought we might have nicked one at the end, but I think a fair result overall.  It seems that the "lesser" teams method of stopping us from playing seems to be to kick the crap out of us.  Thought Tugay was lucky to stay on, couple of nasty, high fouls.  Kewell and Garcia seemed to create a few problems for Blackburn because of the way they drift around the field, unfortunately we tend to lose a little shape then.  Couple of great saves from Kirkland today as well, especially the close in effort from Dickov and the one from Stead that looked like it was going to corner.  Baros played extremely well chasing hard and a really well taken goal, his corners(why him?), however, still leave a lot to be desired.  Wishing Cisse all the best with his recovery.

Josemi is starting to worry me a little... Not slating him, just how he makes me feel.

Agree with Paul on this one, after he got booked I was just waiting for the stupid tackle to get the reda.  I think he played adequately, just got a worrying nag in the back of my mind.
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2004, 07:36:57 pm »
By the way was it just me or was the Ref so inconsistent?

Traore should have had a yellow, Tugay should have been sent off etc etc.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2004, 07:39:05 pm »
Rob Styles normally books everyone in sight. I think he left his cards at home.

Offline AS

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2004, 07:40:15 pm »
to be honest, I thought we underestimated them after scoring early.

Agree with other posters, Blackburn are cannon-fodder. We should beat them easily.

But you didn't. We played well for a change, and if we keep up the fight and spirit we showed tonight we won't go down.

Fantastic game, hope Cisse will be OK, McEveley didn't really do anything.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 08:07:12 pm by Pheeny »
'You can't say my team aren't winners. They've proved that by finishing fourth, third and second in the last three years.' - GERARD HOULLIER

Offline thebadgerboy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2004, 07:40:58 pm »
There is just something about Liverpool at the moment that creates great games of football. Any impartial football fan must have loved tonights game - even if it did make me feel slightly ill!

Blackburn have clearly been below par so far this season - but unfortunately it meant they had little to lose and a lot to prove.

They were willing to throw everything into this game, and so we faced a very rough evening, with plenty of late challenges and high tackles.

The lads responded tremendously by not rising to most of it, and on the whole keeping a cool head.

At 2-1, I was very worried we could be dragged down and made fools of, and the response is a testemant to the maturity that is growing in the team.

Both goalkeepers made some tremendous saves, and were a credit to their teams.

The defence made two fatal errors that cost the two goals, and clearly need more time together (Josemi is my main concern at the moment), but there were several times when they stopped good goalscoring oppertunities, and hopefully they will keep growing as they play more.

Riise played some great football tonight,the first goal was another great one to save for years to come - a great ball and, well, basically perfect finishing from Riise under pressure. He is going to fight for his place and hopefully it will bring out the best in him - so far he has risen to the challenge.

Alonso was under a lot of pressure tonight, and at somepoints looked like he might crack, but he managed to take charge of the midfield and whilst it was messy, on the whole it worked.

Cisse - best of luck with getting better mate, it was a tragic thing to happen and every red hopes you the best. What might have happened if he had not have been injured isn't worth discussing, but I for one can't wait to see him on the pitch.

Baros played a stonker for much of the game. He still needs to work on keeping his head up occaisionally to see when he should release, but without him we would have been in big trouble. With Ciise out for a bit I think he will step up as undisputed number one striker to take us forward, and he has the talent to score some great goals.

On the whole we were undoubtedly looking for a win, and quite a good one, but the challenge from Blackburn was one of their best of the season.

When it came down to it we battled hard, and didn't give in, whilst doing our best not to succumb to the heavy handed tactics Blackburn sometimes used.

I know for a fact that if I was halfway through something, and facing a big challenge, Rafa is the man I would want giving me a pep talk.

Not all the points we wanted, but proof that we can battle.

Onwards to face Birmingham with confidence and pride, we are the reds, and are on our way back up to where we belong.

Walk on...

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2004, 07:41:26 pm »
Only saw the match on the box , like but I thought we could have won it easily, lost it even easier and we were lucky to see 22 players on the pitch at the end of the game. The ref probably had an alright game but could have been a little more demonstative, this would have maybe cut down on some of the heavy tackles. Cisse breaking his leg is a sickener, the lad will be devastated and looking at the replays it is horrible. Hope he can get his head around it and recover asap. This brings me back to the ref, his first duty is to protect the players on the pitch but by being lenient is he inciting rough play ? Agreed Cisse's leg break was an accident but would the aggression have been so intense, had he been firmer earlier? 

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2004, 07:46:35 pm »
Got to love Sky's match report

....Riise gave LIverpool the lead with his first goal in 18 months.....

...they have a short attention span these journos!

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2004, 07:52:21 pm »
Josemi's lack of pace seems to be causing him to get to the attacker late, causing him to put in a rash tackle. Hopefully he'll settle down.

Not only that ( and I am fan of his) but he seemed reluctant to chase after losing touch with the ball. Very worrying performance from him.

Alonso lucky with that punch to the face. 
Never give up

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 07:57:43 pm »

I dont think it was a punch as such, I think Xabi tried to grab his arms round him, and accendtly struck him in the face.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2004, 07:58:51 pm »

Not only that ( and I am fan of his) but he seemed reluctant to chase after losing touch with the ball. Very worrying performance from him.

I only saw it twice, but it didn't seem intentional, i thought he was just trying to grab a piece of Ferguson's shirt.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2004, 07:58:57 pm »
Sorry this might sound harsh but i thought we were shite today and lucky.

We came into this match, from the players at least with the wrong attitude, we thought we only need turnup to win. We looked sluggish and unorganised, Josemi was all over the place Hyppia had one of his games were he couldnt get his feet off the ground, and Hamann was pish, didnt pass, tackle or anything.

Blackburn are a divison one side at best yet we couldnt hardly compete, littl;e dickov put himself around more than our centre backs could handle. I know its still a learning process but for fucks sake you've got to put teams like this to the sword, and we could have done with a bit m,ore battle and compose.

Very disappointed and i imagine raf is too. Poor display for me.

very harsh in my opinion. after going one-up we did seem to fall asleep, which was really disappointing. blackburn came back well and i think it was a fair result in the end. some of their tackles were over the top but i thought we battled well, kept relatively calm and still created opportunities until the final whistle.

blackburn are better than a div one side - emerton alone is! - and can see them putting in a good run of results if they play like that again.

as for us: on paper it looks like 2 points dropped but after the Battle of Ewood Park, I am happy to leave there with only one man missing in action and a point in the bag.

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2004, 08:01:42 pm »
1.  Hamann and Josemi had absolute stinkers
2.  Was Riise's name spelt Risse on the back of his shirt  ???
3.  Tugay is a thug
4.  Happy enough with a draw because it could've gone either way and we did well to get back in it after the psychological effect on Cisse's injury (did anyone else notice Luis Garcias reaction when Baros told him it was a break)
5.  Millwall, we fucking hate Millwall, we fucking Hate Millwall, we fucking Hate Millwall!.........................Justice, Justice, Justice!  Credit to the away support tonight.  :)
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline JFT96

• Kemlynite
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2004, 08:09:29 pm »
It was a lot tougher, than first anticipated. Blackburn at first looked vunerable, and created little up front. We exploited their weak defence well, and Riise's goal was deserved. Alonso was knocking balls around the pitch like he always does, and we looked strong all over the park. Their opening goal was a good one, they cut open our defence with a knife, and young Bothroyd will never score an easier goal in his career.

After Cisse's injury, Liverpool looked rocky. Blackburn attacked our defence with meaning: Bothroyd and Dickov looked impressive as a partnership, and along with Emerton, Tugay, Ferguson coming in from the midfield, they left us wanting to hang on till the break, which we didn't. Emerton squeeked in a goal into the far corner, with Josemi standing like a statue: not an impressive display from him to say the least.

The second half was poor, too. Few positives to take from it: a trip to Spain to take on Deportivo is come at completely the wrong time.

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2004, 08:30:46 pm »
After several good games the defence as a unit were very poor, especially Hyypia and mainly Josemi.

SH looking across the line, and STILL playing for offside instead of covering the centre for the first goal. :butt

Least said about the second the better, but SH should have put his foot through it IMO and if Josemi was a slight bit slow, it was a great finish to be fair.

And JC heading away from the edge of the 6 yd box WTF???  Who shouted who?  Interestingly, JC never bollocked Kirky -- it seemed the other way round.

Nevermind.  Tough game when minds were obviously elsewhere. :(
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline coltmanaman

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2004, 08:35:12 pm »
Not sure whether to think of it as one point gained ot two points lost.  With a lot of results going our way today we did miss out BUT after being 2-1 down at HT (and with one of our srtikers just suffered a broken leg) it could also be seen as a good point.

We were shambolic defensively today.  Josemi seems to be the one singled out but I don't think any of the defence did particulalrly well.  IMO Hyypia & Hamann had equally as poor games as Josemi.   

On the plus side I thought we looked dangerous going forward.  Baros worked his fucking socks off & fully deserved his goal.  He could have had two more. 

Draw probably a fair result, onwards to Depor.  We'll need to defend considerably better if we're to get anything out of that game

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2004, 08:37:37 pm »
(did anyone else notice Luis Garcias reaction when Baros told him it was a break)

yeah - I did notice that - great to see that level of concern - shows how nice a man luis is...

obviouusly it affected the whole team in the immediate aftermath, but it's just one of the things I really like about garcia is his heart on the sleeve attitude he seems to have...

plays with a smile on his face, and seem to really enjoy playing for liverpool, but also seems to have made good friends within the team immediately, and showing a high level of concern for a team mate only shoew the level of solidarity a great team needs
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 08:40:54 pm by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline grandrake

• Boys Pen
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2004, 08:37:44 pm »
My match report.

LFC Through the Square Box - Liverpool vs Blackburn

Games against Blackburn have been unusual of late - high-tempo, mistakes-ful, high-scoring and casualty-laden. Unfortunately for us, history repeated itself again today, as we battled to a 2-2 draw at Ewood Park, and lost Cisse to a broken leg in the process. Sad

This time though, we had no villian to blame for another crushing injury to a key member of the squad. In only his 2nd major contribution to the game after having been starved of service in most of the 1st half (he'd had a good shot on target from distance well-covered by Friedel), Cisse took it on himself to drive past his defender to get to the bye-line, as he'd done in the past couple of games. As he cut in, his leg looked awkwardly balanced, and a tap at the back of his calf by the chasing Blackburn lad didn't help matters. It was clear from the replay the way his leg gave way, that it was a terrible break - you could see Cisse howling in pain as he lay on the ground, and it took quite a while before the lad could be stretchered off. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing him well, and a good steady recovery. With a break like that, I suppose we won't be seeing the likes of Cisse in Red for a while - maybe even until next season. That's how bad it looked.

Prior to that, we'd raced to a perfect start with a stiff Riise goal (left-footed, any other guesses?) after a wonderful cross-field long pass from Xabi. It's going to be fun seeing Xabi and Stevie G having fun spreading the ball from side to side when the latter returns, but anyway, Riise took the ball down very well (left foot, of course) and finished with a well-directed grounder, after beating the off-side trap. Just before this, Friedel had stopped Cisse's shot from outside the box, and had also rushed out to close the angles and block from Baros who was clear-through into the box, but the ex-Liverpool keeper couldn't do anything about this one.

1-0 up and we were on cloud nine and passing the ball around with great confidence. Away form blues were gone, it seemed, and it seemed a matter of time before we sunk the cellar-dwellers further and piled on the goals.

Unfortunately, 16 minutes was about how long our supremacy lasted from the whistle. For Blackburn were level at that point, when awful defending by Josemi let in the Blackburn player through the backdoor for a square pass and a simple tap-in by Bothroyd, for his first goal of the season. It was appalling the way we defended, and while Carra had to take a bit of the blame for commiting himself and failing to get to the ball, Josemi had to bear the brunt of it, for his lack of awareness and focus. It was a terrible way to concede a goal, and it seemed that this so shocked the squad that we then proceeded to meekly concede the half to the opponents.

All credit to Blackburn - they'd done their homework, and left little space for Xabi and Baros to operate after they got back into the game. While they did start the game brightly, we looked easily the more enterprising side early on, but things changed with the equalizer. Our lads were having difficulties finding space, as the opponents closed down on the guys and the passing lanes early, and their physical play disrupted our game, as the likes of Xabi and surprisingly, Hamann, were subdued. Not surprisingly, we then resorted to some hopeful long balls from the back, which were never going to matter much. On the occasions when we did advance the ball to the final third of the Blackburn half - usually on the right, our crossing was woeful and wasteful.

Even then, Blackburn, in spite of their superior ball-possession after they levelled the scores, didn't really look like threatening to change the scoreline in their favour - until another woeful piece of defending by Josemi let them in for the 2nd goal. Josemi let his defender get past him like he was non-existent, and after the rest of the lads had done their job cleaning up his mess, failed to react quickly and decisively to a short outlet pass from Hyppia to him. All it needed was for him to quickly take the ball and either run with it, or clear it to safety. Instead, Josemi took his time to turn, and allowed Emerton the space and time to steer home a grounder that Kirkland couldn't get to.

2-1 and it was like Fulham all over again - only this time, I wasn't sure if we could get back in again like we did. Looking at the bench (with Cisse now off and replaced by Luis Garcia), we'd the likes of Warnock and Kewell lying in wait. Well, maybe one of these lads might help spice things up for us in the 2nd half, but it'd entail moving some guys around. My first thought was that, for all his lack of offensive outsput, Finnan couldn't do any worse defensively than Josemi in this game, and perhaps it'd be a good idea to move him back to RB - where he started and had a good game against Charlton. Josemi was, sadly, a huge liability in the first half, and you could see the eyes of Emerton and Dickov light up each time they saw the Spaniard in front of them.

I was pretty pissed off with the first half performance, especially after Blackburn had levelled, for it seemed we were all at sea, and lacked leadership to bring everybody back into focus. Our performance got worse by the minute, and by the time of the 2nd Blackburn goal, we looked like we were ready to cave in. Cisse's departure from the game probably didn't help at all, as hearts sank a notch or two, I suppose, when he went off. I remember seeing Luis Garcia come on in his place, and go straight to Baros asking "What happened"? Baros seemed to mouth something like "Broke his leg" and Garcia went, "Oh my God...". It was quite a gloomy first half overall, and all the more excrutiatingly painful as we went from the ecstacy of going 1-0 up in the 7th minute, to losing that lead, losing our striker, and then losing the game (at that point).

The game really opened up as both sides returned for the 2nd half. The harassment that Blackburn threw at our players seemed to drop a notch, perhaps understandably because the frenetic scrambling and closing down in the first half would've sapped some of their energy. As we gradually started to come back into the game, we stole a lucky break and equalized. It happened so quickly that the TV camera did not manage to swing back to catch the action as a replay of the previous piece of action was being shown. In any case, the replay of this piece of action, showed the Blackburn player stupidly and carelessly slide a horizontal, short free kick right in our half (just past the halfway line) to Garcia, who, after overcoming the initial surprise and untangling his feet, nicked a nicely weighted lob to the rushing Baros. Baros still had his work cut out, as he had to muscle off his marker, and had to contend with the looming figure of Friedel. Baros did a remarkable job holding off the defender though, and sent his shot past Friedel in the far corner, to send the Reds fans crazy. 2-2, and Baros, if anyone, deserved that goal for his hardwork.

The game opened up with the equalizer, and either team could've scored for the rest of the match. Of course, with the increased tempo, tempers started to fray as well, and Rob Styles was compelled to dish out a couple of yellows to both sets of players. What had been a physical first half threatened to boil over into a rough second half, but luckily, common sense held sway, and there were no serious incidents other than a few misunderstandings here and there.

Blackburn's pressing game was easing off now, and we were also not pressing as hard as we'd done against Charlton and Deportivo. The nett result, was that both teams had room to move the ball, pass, run, and both teams came close to scoring, but for some good last-minute defending from both keepers. Riise had to save off the line for us from a downward Craig Short header, and Kirkland had to pull off a close range save from Dickov. Friedel, on the other hand, had to deal with a Riise blaster, and Hyppia was agonizingly close in the final seconds of injury time from getting his foot to Kewell's wonderfully turned-in cross from the far post.

Overall, it was perhaps a fair result, and Blackburn should find themselves off the bottom of the table if they keep up this level of performance. For us, I've to say we dropped 2 points - not that we deserved to win today - but that we really shouldn't have conceded both goals. The good thing is that we showed good fighting spirit in the 2nd half to come back and also go for the winner, but if I were Rafa, I wouldn't have been pleased with the way heads dropped after each of Blackburn's goals in the first half.

Kirkland - Couldn't do much with both Blackburn's goals, and did a good job with a couple of saves in the second half to keep the scores level.

Traore - Save for a hairy moment in the 2nd half, when he overplayed at the back and needlessly conceded a freekick, he did well defensively, and as in the recent matches, got forward to support regularly (still room for improvement though). In fact, I thought he was the most consistent and steady defender for us today.

Josemi - Pretty much crap today, and was directly responsible for both Blackburn goals. He seemed to have a problem concentrating, and on a few other occasions, just let his man slip past him or worse still - let the ball slip through him - without ever making an effort to chase back. He seems to have put on more weight and lost more pace as the weeks progressed. Easily the most lacklustre and disgraceful performance from him this season - almost looked as if he didn't care at some point.

Carra & Hyppia - Perhaps Josemi's shakiness got to them; and Dickov's pace and Bothroyd's height added to the pressure, but the duo seemed uneasy today. Carra started off very brightly, cutting off attacks really well, but increasingly made mistakes as the game wore on, though they weren't critical ones (well, the first one kinda' indirectly led to the goal - though Josemi shouldn't have let his man slip through behind him). They looked a tad shaky today, not really their normal selves.

Riise - Good goal in the first half, a good shot attempt in the second, and really nothing much else offensively. Still waiting for him to put in a decent cross.

Finnan - Together with Josemi, really tanked this game. Cross after cross was getting nowhere, and it was wasteful of the good positions he got into.

Xabi & Hamann - Started brightly like the rest, but after we conceded the first Blackburn goal, found themselves increasingly under pressure, both physically and spatially. Hamann, especially, had a horrid time today, as he seemed a step slower or a bit lighter when going for loose balls, holding the ball, etc. Xabi's sweet cross-field pass led to our first goal, but he was too easily outmuscled in the first half. Came into the game again as it opened up in the 2nd, and showed also a physical side to his game. Was lucky not to have gotten a card for an unintentional punch as he went for the ball on one occasion.

Baros - Started off actively, but the supply to him soon stopped, and with it, his surging, defence-splitting runs. What was encouraging was that he was looking to pass early and set up his team mates early on, instead of trying to do everything himself. When the game opened up in the 2nd half, his charging game brought life to our performance. Scored a solid goal, but could've set up Garcia also in one instance, instead of trying to take on the whole Blackburn defence before slipping a pass in at the last minute. Still, I'd rather have his energy level and workrate than Heskey's fallyover performance.

Cisse - One shot on target, then got starved of service, and when he drifts out right for the first time to do damage, breaks his leg. Ouch. Speedy recovery, Cisse...

Garcia - Replaced Cisse, and didn't do much in the first half (neither did most guys after the 16th minute). Set up Baros beautifully for our equalizer, and had an okay game. With Cisse now out, perhaps he'll be used as Baros' partner, with maybe Kewell filling in on the right for now. Was looking for his shot this game after the wonder finish against Charlton last week, and looked threatening.

Kewell - Replaced Finnan, who wasn't really doing anything much this game. Went into the centre (Garcia went to the right), and added more spice to our attacks. Linked up well with Garcia, and I think with Cisse now out, and FSP maybe out for another game, the Baros-Garcia-Kewell-Xabi quartet will need to be the source of our creativity. I actually think this might work out well, though I'd personally have Kewell by the sides instead of Garcia.

Diao - Had his best game this season, by not doing any damage to the team. Okay, that's kinda' nasty of me. He did okay - nothing much to be pleased about, yet, nothing to complain about as well in those 10 minutes.

Okay, we head next to the continent, to take on Deportivo in a match we definitely should try to win, without one of our two key strikers, and with a moderately disappointing away performance (disappointing in the 1st half, improved in the 2nd). For the first time this season under Benitez, I'm kinda' worried.

Personally, after today's performance, I'd drop Josemi from the RB slot, and move Finnan back there - make Josemi earn it back again, maybe by losing some weight and gaining some more pace. Midfield quartet of Riise-Didi-Xabi-Kewell, with Garcia behind Baros. Maybe not the best lineup, having to play one or two chaps out of position, but that's the best we can do right now with this thinning squad. We must cover away from Spain with at least an away point, and anything less would make qualification a very tough task.

Again, to Cisse - hope you have a speedy recovery lad!

---

We Never Walk Alone - more reports at: http://www.chubi.com/forum/index.php?c=4

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2004, 08:41:25 pm »
Can't believe Josemi played  ???

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2004, 09:06:08 pm »
To continue on something of a theme. Harry Kewell - what a pussy! He was only interested when he had the ball served up to him on a silver platter. He needs a few weeks in the reserves.

Offline TRF

• Anny Roader
  • Ukrainian and Liverpool FC fan ? Aha that's me
    • RedBeasts
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2004, 09:07:10 pm »
Baros with those corners again!!!
and still Diao and no Igor  :-[