Author Topic: Liverpool 0 Deportivo 0 - all post-match thoughts here  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Liverpool 0 Deportivo 0 - all post-match thoughts here
« on: October 19, 2004, 09:37:39 pm »
Dropped away in the second half. We were easily the better team - the offered next-to-nothing, and got 11 men behind the ball.

Thought our best three players were Baros, Alonso and Traore (who was good at both ends of the pitch).

Kewell offered a couple of dangerous moments, and Flo looked determined when he got on.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 09:39:26 pm by Paul Tomkins »

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
Re: Liverpool 0 Deportivo 0 - all post-match thoughts here
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 09:38:33 pm »
Very frustrating. Qualification very much in the balance now.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 09:38:47 pm »
all i will say is no wonder they fuckin threw a coin at him  :no
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline carven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 09:39:08 pm »
So many promising chances. Goals? none.  :-\

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 09:39:58 pm »
Frustrating

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 09:40:37 pm »
To sum up: i thought at times we looked good and at times looked very pedestrian, i mean we really need a win we're at home, yet there wasn't the urgency second half.

Also when the fuck are we gonna get a decent ref in this competition? Collina stank and so did Frisk.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 09:40:39 pm »
don't know what to say.  Shoulda won that but alas we didn't.  Can still easily get qualification as we are second behind monaco.  With still having to play each side once more.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

hoonin

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 09:41:24 pm »
all i will say is no wonder they fuckin threw a coin at him :no

Why? He was pedantic a lot of the time, but it wasn't him in nets who made 2 or 3 good saves, or him up front who missed a few chances that in any other game would have gone in.

Frisk was a twat at times tonight, but didnt cost us points....

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 09:41:40 pm »
So many promising chances. Goals? none.  :-\

One of those nights. Most of our best shots which were caught full-on were blocked; those that weren't were a little scuffed and the keeper could save.

A good performance against a team with big European pedigree in recent years. We deserved to win - some times the ball just doesn't go in.

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 09:41:56 pm »
Poor finishing let us down today, esp in the first half.

Baros ran with his head down too much today, was extremely frustrating, especially in the second half when instead of passing to garcia, he ran the ball right to him.  :butt He was however one of our brighter players.

Missed a CM who would pass and move to collect the ball, Alonso played well, but wasnt dynamic enough.

Overall though a frustrating evening with positives to look to, but it leaves our qualification in the balance with two away days to come.
77-78-81-84-05

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 09:42:00 pm »
Full time 0-0.

I think we did reasonably well but the slip surface is not helping us. 

Baros turns up with a MOTM performance, but Garcia is struggling (maybe the slipping surface??).  Alonso didn't do a Fulham but it is still doing fine.  Kewell came on and did OK.  Cisse should have done better with his chances.

Luis Garcia didn't quite do enough for me and looked exhausted -- maybe he needs a rest now?

Anyway 0-0 is not the end of the world but we have to make sure we don't lose at Deportivo next game and we are still in with a chance.
We won it 6 times

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 09:43:09 pm »
Gareth, fair do's we couldnt score and that was our fault but how many times was baros hacked down or someone obstructed?

They should have had two men off, they escaped countless yellow card offences while Hamann and Baros got booked for sweet fa.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 09:43:20 pm »
I think we are still in for a shout, and hopefully with Stevie G back we will do better.

2 points dropped, but the group is still open.
We won it 6 times

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 09:43:25 pm »
Good to see Baros returning to form. And the backs will lift at keeping a clean sheet after the 2 goals on saturday. We can still take positives from this match. Even though now yes we arent going to walk throught the park to the next round we can still make it. so chin up and lets keep the 100% winning record @ anfield in the premier league :D
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 09:44:47 pm »
oh and yes, frisk is a twat. baros should have had at least 3-4 more freekicks, esp one right on the edge of the box when he got clattered from behind. :no
77-78-81-84-05

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 09:47:34 pm »
baros and alonso good; defense no major problems dealing with the little that came; kirkland hesitated on that situation that looked like an offside but wasn't given

kewell looked quite inspired

riise's first touch lets him down
hamann and alonso more than decent 1 by 1, but the combination hasn't got enough drive

baros and cisse : can't really call it a partnership
garcia : some excellent skills and small little moves, but I can't help looking for the created chances and the contribution in terms of danger creates

overall : 1st half more than good, but needs to put away the chances created
2nd half : not much to write home about...
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

hoonin

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 09:48:03 pm »
Gareth, fair do's we couldnt score and that was our fault but how many times was baros hacked down or someone obstructed?

They should have had two men off, they escaped countless yellow card offences while Hamann and Baros got booked for sweet fa.

Yeah, sorry. Get your point now. Thought it was a case of "fan blames ref for teams  inadequacies", which we've all done at some point :P

Frisk did seem to let a  few things go, but for me this is more down to him being a good ref and having a tendancy to be cynical towards players, rather than giving stupid freekicks to players who are clearly playacting. Guess on the whole tonight he missed more than he got though :-\

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 09:48:33 pm »
Nice to see Sam Allardyce praising the impact Kewell made. One first-time lay-off to Baros was Alonso-esque. (I still say that if you watch Kewell's passing, you will see how good he can be in our new passing game).

Garcia, a couple of tricks aside, was disappointing. He's frustrating, but we have seen how good he can be in previous games.

Our back four was immaculate, when called upon. It was weird seeing Didi pushing forward more than Alonso - he can do that job, but he's not going to burst about in the way Gerrard will when he returns.

A draw in Monaco and in Depor, and a home win against Olympiakos, and I think we'll be through.

hoonin

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 09:49:55 pm »
fucking hell Paul, you're more of a Kewell fan than me, which is saying something ;D

*runs off to stroke his Harry Kewell duvet cover....

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 09:50:09 pm »
Actually I think we have to give credits to Deportivo's defense -- Baros would have scored without the last-second tackle by M.Pablo and their mid-field are playing very deep.

I must admit I am surprised to see Deportivo played that way -- they looked more like Birmingham to me  ;)
We won it 6 times

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 09:50:36 pm »
And Harry from a few reports is on the up & up. was it such a usless internationaly he played afterall eh? ;)
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Pheeny

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 09:50:52 pm »
I thought Harry should us tonight why I was so chuffed when we signed him! I'm happy enough with the point a still think we will win the group.

hoonin

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 09:52:48 pm »
Yes  KFC you are right. They defended well, though a little cynically at times. Guess you have to expect this in European games.

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2004, 09:54:10 pm »

A draw in Monaco and in Depor, and a home win against Olympiakos, and I think we'll be through.

That should be good enough hopefully.

I felt Sinama could have been introduced a bit earlier, he looked like he could cause them problems with his pace.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2004, 09:54:16 pm »
And Harry from a few reports is on the up & up. was it such a usless internationaly he played afterall eh? ;)
not useless, MEANINGLESS..... ;D ;D

cant comment on the game, had no coverage, apart from sporadic updates in here/chatroom, but  seems like we shouldnt have too much to be concerned about,  made chaces that next time should be converted..
JFT 96

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2004, 09:54:24 pm »
fucking hell Paul, you're more of a Kewell fan than me, which is saying something ;D

*runs off to stroke his Harry Kewell duvet cover....

;D

I just think we need to stick by him, as he's quality. He looked a fraction sharper, but as I will repeat till I'm blue in the face (and have been saying for two months now), his passing is superb.

He wasn't amazing tonight, as it was only a 25 minute cameo, but he showed the kind of quality that we will need.

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 09:54:51 pm »

Hopefully anyway, easier said than done.

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 09:55:05 pm »
Credit has to go to our back four who where well solid and gave our forwards and midfielders a great base to build from ...they created hardly anything so our defenders did their Job... Traore hasn't done anything wrong in recent games but he really did things right tonight.... I can't really criticise any of the players who did everything but score .... you get nights like that .... only 2 points off the top so we've got to get something away to Depor and if we win our last home game against Olympiacos then at least second is possible
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 09:55:52 pm »

Andrade should have gone, but then it was just 3-4 minutes left. kind a frustrating though with baros being whacked 8-10 times; creates one free-kick himself and being booked
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 09:56:03 pm »
Monaco is winning at home against Olympiakos.

So the group is now with 6-4-4-2 and I think 8 points might just be enough for this group.  But we need to make sure we don't lose to either Deportivo and Olympiakos now.
We won it 6 times

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 09:57:46 pm »
Monaco is winning at home against Olympiakos.

So the group is now with 6-4-4-2 and I think 8 points might just be enough for this group.  But we need to make sure we don't lose to either Deportivo and Olympiakos now.

FT there 2 1 monaco..
JFT 96

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2004, 09:59:59 pm »
maybe being too harsh on traore; he didn't do much wrong tonight, but there's always that feeling; something's bad gonna happen soon..

don't got that feeling with like carra/sami, but hopefully traore prove me wrong as time goes by

Offline somebody

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 10:02:09 pm »
saw the full match.

traore looked solid, garcia isnt too great on the flanks and cisse needs to work harder and get stuck in more for a big lad.
id give pongolle a go on saturday with baros and see what he can do.

benitez still dosent know what his best side is.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 10:02:35 pm »
I though Djimi was good (how quick!) covering at the back, and good on the ball going forward.

It may just be clicking into place for him. He always had potential. Young defenders make errors, and he's 24 now, so he should be cutting them out - and so far is...

<touches wood>

Offline Jockeylad

• Boys Pen
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2004, 10:03:16 pm »
These were definitely two points lost. Deportivo offered nothing going forward, their best player, Valeron,   wasn't bothered to play. We basically had all the possesion and created very little. Garcia was totally ineffectual and neither Cisse or Baros seem too understand what Benitez wants from them. Baros' total lack off team play will make it harder and harder for us. The good points were the defence, in particular Carragher (God I love him) and Traore, and the performances from Kewell and Flo-po when they came on. We are now in a situation where finally Benitez will have time to work with the whole squad and it is needed. Whether or not either of our first choice forwards can conform I am unsure. But we are already a better side under Benitez than we were last year and believe we will continue to improve and will qualify from the group.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2004, 10:03:42 pm »
Very good first half but we just didn't capitalise on the very good chances we had. A combination of some rushed finishing, decent goalkeeping, and some great last ditch defending. On that score I think we missed Igor today  ;D

The second half was a bit stale and we ran out of ideas. Harry did well when he came on and caused more problems than JAR. I was also impressed with Traore. He did well both ends of the pitch and also has the pace to cover at the back if possession is lost cheaply and we are on the retreat.

Overall, I think we can get a decent result in the return fixture. Depor are certainly not the team they were a few years ago and we should go there with some belief that we are capable of getting a victory. IF we beat the Greeks at home and scrape an away victory we should go through.
Internet terrorist

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2004, 10:04:10 pm »
Final game vs. Olympiakos could come down to needing a 2-0 win.

Anything like the Roma game will do for me.  ;)

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2004, 10:07:11 pm »
Final game vs. Olympiakos could come down to needing a 2-0 win.

Anything like the Roma game will do for me.  ;)

Well they are second in the group based on their win over us so we may have to better that win at Anfield.

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2004, 10:07:16 pm »
Good performance - we just didn't take our chances. But I'm expecting Cisse, Garcia and Baros to improve in front of goal as the season progresses and with us almost certainly buying a new striker in January, we've just got to be patient.

I liked the way we passed the ball in the first half, and our defending and closing down of the opposition was excellent throughout .

Although Milan didn't score, I thought he had his best game of the season for us. Alonso was majestic again, and even the biggest critic of Traore will surely concede that Djimi was excellent tonight. He defended well, got forward well and he even delivered an Alonso-esque pass in the first half! If he keeps playing like that, the lad might just have a future with us after all.

The group looks tight, but I like the way we're progressing under Rafa and we can still make to to the next stage. Probably need seven points from the remaining three games, though.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2004, 10:07:28 pm »
It is only Rafa's 14th game in charge, so we should start to see improvement, and to be fair I think we are. The only part of the game missing was the finishing. Not unexpected considering we lost MO.

My one question is this:

A year ago, would we have played Deportivo so comprehensively off the park as we did tonight?

Have we in the last 5 years played a top quality team off the park like tonight?

All our big victories, especially Europe, have been played on the counter attack. Roma, Barca, Porto. Also most in the Premiership too, Arsenal in the FA cup, Manu in the Worthy Cup. Chelsea for the last three years.

Not meaning to take good results away from Ged, but there are significant signs of improvement, and that is what the first 6 months under Rafa are about.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play