Author Topic: Deportivo Build Up & Predictions  (Read 1954 times)

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
Deportivo Build Up & Predictions
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:57:05 am »
A big game for the Tricky Reds but one I think well Win. 2-0 Think a Baros doubles on the cards both in the 1st Half. Starting line up much the same as the 2nd half at craven cottage. Anyone going to get ring of fire going or is that an away only tune?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 10:44:04 pm by Rushian »
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Deportivo Build Up & Predictions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 10:28:27 am »
The win on Saturday was just what we needed before this game. Unfortunately i'll miss some the match cos I'm in work ( from 9pm). I work just behind the kop, so if they're loud enough I'll get some idea how the last half an hour is going ! Any win will do, we've got to do well at home in the C/L. 1 or 2 nil to the redmen.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Roddysul

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 10:51:58 am »
an Igor brace

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 10:55:25 am »
Is that cos we saw his teeth for the first time on Saturday !
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline ic843

• Choose Everton
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cally's heroes
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 09:05:15 pm »
Tough game but I think Baros and Cisse will be on fire, especially Baros. They'll be goin forward a bit more in search of a victory, as they really need one (as we do). Think whoevers up front with Garcia behind will get a bit of space. Whats this ring of fire thing anyway?
Taylor Report 278 ""It is fair to say that over many years the South Yorkshire Police have given excellent service to the public...Unforunately, their policing on April 15 broke down in the ways described, and although there were other causes, the main reason for the disaster was the failure of police control."
BOYCOTT THE S*N

Offline _CarraMac_

• Main Stander
  • .......we're by far the greatest team
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 09:25:56 pm »
Does anyone know the latest ticket situation for this game..........is it worth me coming up on spec with my two young sons (90ish miles) and hoping l can pick up tickets from the ticket office, bearing in mind that l would,nt get to anfield till around 6-30/7-00pm.

Offline Old-Scallywag

• Legacy Fan
  • un hincha de Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 09:32:24 pm »
There were still tickets going today in the Annie Road and Lower Centenary. You could phone up for some tomorrow morning and pick them up when you get there
Though I know I’ll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I’ll often stop and think about them

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 10:03:53 pm »
Our hardest game at Anfield this season IMO. A real test of our ability at home but I'm confident for once.

Offline Demandred

• Do not forsake me oh my darlin
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'll be waiting, with a gun & a pack of sandwiches
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 10:11:48 pm »
As Hugh said, our toughest game (so far). Personally I think Olympiakos will be harder when they come, but Depor are well capable of nicking a goal and I'd take 2-1 now. That said I'm always confident - and Cisse is due a massive game!

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 11:13:42 pm »
Does anyone know the latest ticket situation for this game..........is it worth me coming up on spec with my two young sons (90ish miles) and hoping l can pick up tickets from the ticket office, bearing in mind that l would,nt get to anfield till around 6-30/7-00pm.

would phone first thing mate - can't see it being a complete sell-out (certainly not at this stage, however some could be swayed to go as result of saturday).  get onto them first thing and reckon you'll be fine

as for the game - will be a tough one i reckon.  deport are desperate for the points so hopefully they'll actually come out at us abit.

fancy the Reds to do it -

2-1?
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline COR

• Kopite
  • 2 Times RAWK World Texas Holdem Champion
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 11:14:02 pm »
Well so far we've built ourselves up alot of times only to be crushed down to harsh reality during the actual game. Having gotten rid of that chip in our shoulder there's no room for complacency now and from Hyypia's post match interview it would appear the team knows that. I'll be expecting a big game from Garcia and Alonso who should be well used to playing against Deportivo by now.

I'll take any result as long as there's a bit of bite in our play both defensively and in an attacking sense.

LETS TWAT THEM!

Offline Botswana Red

• Kopite
  • Title Chasin'
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 12:05:00 am »
Won't be an easy game, 3 pts are crucial; it's vital to build on the Craven Cottage result & go on a winning run.  An old school 4-4-2 should do the trick.....

Kirkland

Finnan---Hyypia---Carragher---Riise

Garcia----Alonso---Hamman---Kewell

Cisse---Baros

Subs: Warnock, Traore, Dudek, Biscan, Diao/Welsh
© Botswana Red ;D
In the news..........

Liverpool fear the return of Deportivo Coruna's Mauro Silva could upset their chances of winning Tuesday's Champions League match at Anfield.The 36-year-old veteran of Brazil's 1994 World Cup victory has recovered from injury in time for the Group A match.

"I have played against Mauro many times when I was with Real Sociedad and I know what to expect from him," Liverpool's Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso told a news conference on Monday.

"He is a tough customer and is like a rock in the midfield for them. I have had some hard games against him in the past."

In Silva's absence, Deportivo have drawn with Olympiakos and lost to Monaco in their opening two group games without scoring.

"They had two central midfielders injured and one of them, Mauro Silva is very important for them," Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said.

"But the team is a strong team. They need to win because if we win they could go out."

Former Valencia coach Benitez believes Deportivo's strength lies in their experience of playing together on the European stage.

"They all know all of the players well. They have been together for four years. They play from memory and that is the reason they always play well," he said.

"They may not have scored many goals this year but to score goals their forwards need passes. They have been without Silva and Aldo Duscher for many games with injuries and along with Valeron, these are players that make key passes."

SPANISH CONNECTION

Deportivo believe Liverpool may have the edge because of their Spanish players and coach.

"They start with a bit of an advantage because their coach has a comprehensive knowledge of our team and knows us better than we know them," coach Javier Irureta.

"We also have the added difficulty of having to travel to Anfield which is one of the most difficult grounds in Europe to play at."

Defender Josemi and forwards Luis Garcia and the injured Antonio Nunez are the other Spanish players at Liverpool.

"It has all the ingredients to be a great match because whoever wins will have taken an important step towards qualification," Irureta said.

Semi-finalists in last season's competition, Deportivo are bottom of the group with just one point from two games. Liverpool are in joint second with Monaco on three points.

Olympiakos, who beat Liverpool 1-0 at home last time out and travel to Monaco on Tuesday, lead the standings on four points.

Probable teams:

Liverpool: 22-Chris Kirkland; 17-Josemi, 23-Jamie Carragher, 4-Sami Hyypia, 6-John Arne Riise; 3-Steve Finnan, 14-Xabi Alonso, 16-Dietmar Hamann, 7-Harry Kewell; 10-Luis Garcia, 5-Milan Baros

Deportivo Coruna: 1-Jose Molina; 2-Manuel Pablo, 5-Cesar, 14-Jorge Andrade, 15-Joan Capdevila; 18-Victor, 23-Aldo Duscher, 6-Mauro Silva, 21-Juan Carlos Valeron, 19-Albert Luque, 7-Walter Pandiani

Referee: Anders Frisk (Sweden).

© Reuters
Sign megastars...

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 12:17:22 am »
This will be a tricky one, a win is defo needed

Rafa knows how Deport plays so I think we will win 2-1

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 12:44:16 am »
Since Rafa took the manager post, I reckon he always talk about how the opponent play and stress "we know how they play" quote during pre-match conference. It seems like he's talking "I know how to beat you"   :wave

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 05:10:58 am »
Is that cos we saw his teeth for the first time on Saturday !
;D Exactly hwat I said!

I just hope I get there in time = Got a meeting in London 2moro. Train's due back in Lime Street at 1848 so I just hope it's not too late...

Instead of getting a decent night's sleep though I am sitting here reading posts and working on a new flag = a "Children of the Rafa-lution" Spanish one with added Catalan & Basque flag inserts!!. Going to take it with me and hopefully get chance it at the front of the Kop = if I can find somehwre that isn't covered in stupid little CL stars!
Just coz they want all grounds to look the same....

Reckon it'll be quite a tough game but Milan's confidence will be high after Sat and IF some pride has been restored........ fingers crossed!
Should probably take the YNWa Czech one too....

Can't wait..
We are a team of one half.

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 06:07:45 am »

with added Catalan & Basque flag inserts!!. Going to take it with me and hopefully get chance it at the front of the Kop = if I can find somehwre that isn't covered in stupid little CL stars!

Do you think it's okay mate? I read about the problem between the Basque province and Spain (kingdom??) once, perhaps they willl not like the Basque flag because it can be interpreted as a political move (??).

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 09:53:12 am »
Didn't think Basque country stretched as far down as Depor, so not sure.
Jon Hall could probably tell yer.

Back to the subject in question, 3 points are a must tonight.
You HAVE to win yer home games in Europe, simple as that.

Quote from: Dan_L
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 10:33:23 am »
2-1 to us Djibril Cisse and Luis Garcia.

Offline GTO3000

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 10:48:24 am »
WISH YOU A GREAT WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :wave :wave :wave
OLYMPIAKOS

Offline Xoán

• Kemlynite
    • Deportivo International
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 10:52:40 am »
Do you think it's okay mate? I read about the problem between the Basque province and Spain (kingdom??) once, perhaps they willl not like the Basque flag because it can be interpreted as a political move (??).

Not at all. Not in Galicia.
Check: http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2292&start=0&sid=7fd29de9492c1fa4f07259ab52a104ab

(long read  ;D )

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 11:06:53 am »
Alonso played eight times against Deportivo and has never won, time for Igor me thinks  ;D

Offline Paul Ando

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Back Anfield Arnie.
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 11:47:12 am »
"Lets twat these Spanish bastards!"  ;D
***** BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA!*****

Offline Xoán

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 12:23:34 pm »
Who said "Spanish"?  :butt

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2004, 01:18:41 pm »
my old man has just seen the depor first team there staying in the mariot- says they seam relaxed
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Al Bol

• Ugly Bastard. Brother of Spag.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2004, 01:24:08 pm »
Who said "Spanish"?  :butt

You play in the Spanish League don't you?

Offline Xoán

• Kemlynite
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2004, 01:53:16 pm »
You play in the Spanish League don't you?

Er... yeah... so? AC Monaco play in the French league and Monaco is an independent country (no matter how small it is). Teams from Andorra play in the lower Spanish/Catalan divisions, etc.
Anyone can play in any league if there's a profit... I still remember when they tried to "create" a Dublin team to compete in the EPL... just for the money!

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 01:59:21 pm »
expectin a tough game tonight, but think we could just got a victory

1-0 riise

Offline Al Bol

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 01:59:43 pm »

Er... yeah... so? AC Monaco play in the French league and Monaco is an independent country (no matter how small it is). Teams from Andorra play in the lower Spanish/Catalan divisions, etc.
Anyone can play in any league if there's a profit... I still remember when they tried to "create" a Dublin team to compete in the EPL... just for the money!

Like it or not teams are seen as the nationality of the League they play in.  As you play in the Spanish League English fans are going to consider your team as being Spanish whether you do or not.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 02:00:46 pm »
2-1 to the reds. Can't see numb nuts keeping a clean sheet. ;D

Offline Xoán

• Kemlynite
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 02:02:50 pm »
Like it or not teams are seen as the nationality of the League they play in. As you play in the Spanish League English fans are going to consider your team as being Spanish whether you do or not.

Oh! I know that! Just trying to make a point  ;)

In any case... I'm fearing a dull 0-0...   :-\

Offline Al Bol

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 02:06:40 pm »
I don't make predictions.  I never have and I never will. ;)

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2004, 02:21:47 pm »
Depor will be our pass mark

Oct 19 2004

From the Liverpool Echo   

THE last time the Spanish inquisition came to Anfield, Liverpool had no answers.
Barcelona and Valencia gave football lessons to the Reds and remain the only away teams to win on Merseyside in the reinvented Champions League.
Jamie Carragher, now the longest-serving player at Anfield, remembers those nights well.

The manner in which the Spaniards dominated confirmed Carragher's view that La Liga is a level above the Premiership.

But thanks to some insider knowledge within Liverpool's ranks, he is confident the gulf in class will not be so evident this evening.

"It's no coincidence we've only been beaten at Anfield in the Champions League by Valencia and Barcelona, " said Carragher.

"Spain is the best league in Europe as far as I'm concerned. Real Madrid have been the top club for years, and Barcelona and Valencia have caught up to them.
"Deportivo have joined a group of four teams in the last few seasons and have been one of the best teams in Spain over a long period. They won the league not so long ago, and a year later when they didn't win it they actually won more points.
"I remember seeing Deportivo play at Old Trafford a few years ago and they gave one of the best passing performances I can remember.

"United couldn't get hold of the ball and I can't remember many sides doing that at their place.

"We experienced it ourselves here against Barcelona and Valencia.
"The lesson we learned was you have to keep it. We were passed off the park and couldn't keep possession.

"Tonight, we know we can't let that happen. You can't even let their defenders knock the ball around at the back.

"We've got to close them down and get at them as much as possible, especially at Anfield, where if we can get our fans behind us we can really unsettle them.

"It will help to have Spanish players in our team. Xabi (Alonso), Luis Garcia and Josemi will be desperate to make an impression because everyone in Spain will be watching them to see how they're doing here. They'll be motivated to do well and the manager will feel the same."

Rafa Benitez's knowledge of Deportivo ensures one of his easiest team-talks of the year tonight.  His Valencia side won 3-0 when Benitez last met tonight's opponents.
But Carragher says it would not matter who the Reds faced, pre-match preparations are now so thorough there are no surprises.

"Every manager I've known has been different in some way and the gaffer is the most tactical I've worked with," he said..
"A lot of managers get to the tactical side of the game a day before or on the day of the game. Now it's something we talk a lot about much earlier in the week. We're given all the information we need about the formations of the teams.
"We don't play so many 11-a-side matches in training, but he prefers small-sided games making sure every player knows exactly what he has to do.

"I don't think it's insignificant that for the first time in so long we won on Saturday after being 2-0 down at half-time.

"He is a manager who will make tactical changes and although the decision to bring on Xabi Alonso might have been expected, there were other alterations too."
One of those was the switch of Carragher and Sami Hyypia from their respective positions on the right and left of the central defence.

Carragher's form this season has been impeccable, so much so his status as an unsung hero may be changing. Supporters are finally chanting his name more regularly.

He believes his consistent form could be a result of one his lowest points.
"It may sound a strange thing to say but my broken leg last season might have been the best thing that's happened to me," he said..

"I read Rio Ferdinand's comments about how being out of the game and watching made him a better player. I know exactly what he means.
"I thought about my game a lot more when I was out.

"At the time, my main priority was to work on being an attacking full-back. I'd back myself defensively against anyone in our league, but I know it was the attacking part of my game people would talk about.

"Now, my position's changed a bit and I'm just as happy playing for Liverpool at centre-back. It's a role I really enjoy and since I've come back from the broken leg I've been happy with my form."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 02:23:37 pm by Mottman »
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 02:23:43 pm »
The smart money has to be on the Spanish team.
Mind you, Depor could be in with a shout too. ;) ::)

Offline miffed

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 03:26:03 pm »
My 6 year old niece lives in Spain.

Her mum was born in & supports MU (hiss) and her father is Spanish from La Coruna.

However, I've apparently done my job well.  When she was 5, I gave her an LFC ball.  That and other gifts I've bestowed on her have made me her fave uncle.

She was in a restaurant with her parents the other night and the owner, also from La Coruna, asked her if she was optimistic about Deportivo winning tonight.

To which she brightly replied 'I don't think so.  I'm Liverpool!' 8)

Offline Paul Ando

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Back Anfield Arnie.
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2004, 04:22:15 pm »
Coruna is Spain, end of. they play in La Liga so they must be.

What ever next cardiff claiming there Welsh?...... ;)
***** BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA!*****

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2004, 04:29:20 pm »
Roddigor

What is the URL for your avatar - its quite good !!

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2004, 05:14:38 pm »
There were still tickets going today in the Annie Road and Lower Centenary. You could phone up for some tomorrow morning and pick them up when you get there

Just read on another forum that there are 17000 tickets unsold at the mo (few hrs to ko).  This is worrying given the calibre of opposition.  Of course this may not be true, or the remaining tickets may be sold by ko anyway.

I think the club needs to be more flexible regarding selling procedures, esp for midweek Euro games.  And reflect this in the prices as well.  You've got to logon to the official site daily to check the latest 'eligibility' status for applying for tickets.

Hope any spaces tonight aren't as obvious as those in the Anny Road v Monaco. 

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2004, 05:17:21 pm »
I feel really good about our chances in this one.  Mind you, I say that for all the games!!

Anyone reckon that we'll see Cisse pushed out to the right again?  We had our best patch of the game with him out there against Fulham for most of the 2nd half.  Think we might see that a bit tonight.  Something like:

Kirkland
Josemi Carra Hyypia Riise
Cisse Alonso Hamann Kewell
Garcia
Baros

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2004, 05:19:35 pm »

It was there to support Xabi, not wind the Depor fans up! Besides it wasn't that big so they won't have seen it from the Anny Road!
We are a team of one half.