Author Topic: Liverpool v WBA - Post Match Stuff  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
Liverpool v WBA - Post Match Stuff
« on: September 11, 2004, 04:57:58 pm »
Great result, just what we needed ahead of Wednesday.

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
Re: Liverpool v WBA - Post Match Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 05:06:10 pm »
agree could of had a penalty with milan in the later stages but no need for complaints as we have 3 points and our 1st clean sheet of the season. Monaco is going to be the 1st real anfield test and I think we'll b up to it. Well done redmen :wave
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 05:22:36 pm »
we lie in 8th with a game in hand.. we win that we're 3rd.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 05:43:34 pm »
Bring on the Mancs at Old Trafford!
(sorry, 'The Theatre of Dreams')*

*contractually obliged, self-aggrandising wank

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
Re: Liverpool v West Brom team news and pre and in-game comments and analysis
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 05:46:02 pm »
Well just got back. All round good display today, happiest I've been at Anfield for a long time. We totally dominated the first half bar a five minute spell when WBA just kept the ball. The back five were all solid, great performances from both Carra and Riise in particular. The four/five in midfield played brilliantly at time with Garcia and Kewell both supporting Cisse in tandem. Kewell in the first half showed us all what we've been waiting to see, bright, energetic and beating players. Cisse also looked sharp despite only arriving back late last night, I just wish he'd hurry up and score at Anfield. Loved it today when he had a great shot saved and he just went mental in front of the Kop, punching the air and that. Second half was a bit more low key but we still dominated, chances for both Milan and Cisse and a good goal to cap a great performance from Sergio! ;D

The optimism returns once again!
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 05:50:24 pm »

3 points :P

87:13

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
Re: Liverpool v West Brom team news and pre and in-game comments and analysis
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 06:00:55 pm »
Yes, but it says "news and pre and in-game comments and analysis"

:upyours

;D
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 06:01:12 pm »
any ideas what game of the day is on sky?

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 06:07:17 pm »
any ideas what game of the day is on sky?

Bolton v Man U  >:(

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 06:09:41 pm »

first goal  ;D
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 06:11:51 pm »

Bolton v Man U  >:(

:no

Barcelona v Sevilla/Madrid v Numancia  it is then.

hoonin

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 06:11:59 pm »
Garcia stood out a mile. Looks a classy player but not afraid to get stuck in.

Kind of makes a mockery of Charlie Nicholas' assertion that he looked "light weight". He looks the dogs danglies to me so far! Looks like a key component of the team Rafa has in mind?

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 06:18:30 pm »
And United looked shite against Bolton.  Things are looking great for the 20th. 

But bring on Monaco!  :lickin
Blame Canada!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2004, 06:18:36 pm »
It's like saying Aimar is lightweight because he's small and slight - when he's a tough little bugger.

Garcia looks a determined character - sure, he's not going to win many 50-50s against Patrick Vieira, but if Garcia is quick and skillful enough, he can evade challenges. In two games he's scored two, set up one, and missed a sitter with a header. You can see why he scored 9 in 7 pre-season games for Barca.

Nice to hear on the commentary that Cisse and Garcia were linking a lot - anyone at the game agree with this? Milan's problem two weeks ago was that he failed to spot Garcia's runs, although in time he may be more aware that Garcia will be running and therefore look to pick him out.

Two home league games, two wins. Makes a change!

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2004, 06:25:49 pm »
just got back, good points i have taken from the game are -

DUDEK- safe played really well and made some fine saves

DEFENCE- played well never really troubled at all, all four of them played very well

KEWEL- improved preformance from him and looked more intrested, linked up well with the team, a few more games and will be back to his best.

S.GERRARD-nuff said

FINNEN- iam not sure he is good enough to win the title with on the wing but a great goal and didnt do anything wrong,worked hard had a good game.

HAMMAN- unsung hero made sure WBA didnt trouble us and passing was crisp.

GARCIA- We have a little gem on our hands here, he played with determination and skill, exciting when he was on the ball and worked hard when he wasnt, wanted his goal and deserved it.when he beds down properly he will be a awesome player for us. reminds me or dennis bergkamp and aimer with pace.

CISSE- He was fustrated today that he didnt get a goal he could of had 2 at the end, didnt do anything spectacular but had some nice touches and looked like he allways wanted the ball and got in the positions.

SUBS

ALONSO- finally a good corner taker and his passing range looks really good, he looked like he could really controll a game.

BAROS-Tried hard and made a neat pass to put cisse through, could of had a penalty.

TRAORE-looked  good did nothing wrong

If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2004, 06:36:15 pm »
If anyone looked lightweight, it was Kewell, the great big shithouse.

Really? Others seem to think he was improved?

I do wish there'd be a month-long armistace on slating Kewell. He seems incapable of impressing some people - their minds appear made up. I felt he did really well against City, and others thought he was terrible.

I think we need to accept that Harry isn't the bravest player, but when he plays up front he uses his body-strength really well.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2004, 06:46:16 pm »
Im sure if he carry's on playing like he did today he will realise he isnt that shit and will hopefully play alot better

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2004, 06:48:05 pm »

Good goal by Finnan.
Was that really Finnan, he looked like a different player from the one we've seen recently?  ;) ;D
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2004, 06:50:14 pm »
Just got back and i'm well pleased with the performance, Garcia was excellent he linked the midfield and attack brilliantly he's a classy player. Hamman was very good in the center and it's a long time since we've had the luxury of being able to take Gerrard off early and give him a well deserved break. A good team performance. :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 06:55:34 pm by rednile »
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2004, 06:53:17 pm »
I left very optimistic!

I thought the team spirit shown was great (although I'm not into these poncey high fives) the way the celebtrated together and genuinely seemed to be playing for each other.

We saw many glimpses of what Rafa wants us to play like. Some great quick passes and we switched the ball well.

I thought Garcia was tremendous, I would liken him more to Pires than to Bergkamp though. I thought Kewell was also very good today. I felt a bit sorry for him when everyone had a bit of a rant after he didn't dive into a challenge that could have seen him injured.

Even the volume of the crowd picked up in the second half :o

As a sidenote, I think Stevie is carrying an injury I saw him gesture* to Baros when he was warming up & he immediately ran to the bench to update them

*the gesture appeared to be pointing to his groin (please list smutty comments below)
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Roddysul

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2004, 06:53:52 pm »
Thought Harry was good today.   Garcia -  was so chuffed that he scored -  not least because I texted a mate at half time and said -  "Put a bet on Garcia to score in this one - he looks like he's going to"

He's had loads of bad luck till that goal -  a perfectly good one disallowed -  sitters ballooned over the bar -  not being spotted by other players when in masses of Space -   he really looked like he wanted a goal and seemed well chuffed when he finally slotted it away.

Xabi came on and looked good -  seems to be developing good relationship with the fans too.  Got the giggles when he had the ball and there was a player down - they were signalling for him to put it out of play -  which he did with a pinpoint 40
yarder   ;D

Josemi -  looking even more solid and a great investment - seems to be developing an understanding with Finnan infront of him in the same way that Vignal / Riise once did.

Impressed with the performance today,  impressed with the gaffers signings and style of play.   Looking forward to some cracking games now this season.

Offline muleskinner

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2004, 06:58:13 pm »
Good to hear Finnan had a good game, he has ability and wasn't voted best right back 2 years ago by his fellow players for nothing. Could be another one who will blossom under a new coach. I thought he was a goner for a while but it seems as though Rafa has had a change of mind and Finnan is doing his best to convince him he is worth keeping.
"Brothers and sisters, I want to see a sea of hands out there. I want to see a sea of hands. I want to see a little revolution out there. "

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2004, 07:13:38 pm »
Not saying he had a bad game like, just that he shits out a lot of the time.

Fair enough, but if he shits-out while playing well and we win, no complaints here. Not all players go flying into tackles. I just don't want to see him turn into a whipping boy, especially after what sounded like a great win.

I think Kewell will start gradually finding his form. Sounds like a good start today, and someone like Garcia will occupy the players that in the early games were concentrating soley on Harry.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2004, 07:19:31 pm »
my two penneth worth.

Thought the match started quietly and a little quietly from the crowd however we were putting some nice moves together and i was impressed with Garcia. One minute he was in the middle, then the left, then the right, all over the place. We played some lovely stuff at times and happily it got a lot more vocal in the lower annie when we started giving the baggies some stick. In my opinion apart from a few over elaborate camera saves from jerzy they neveer looked like scoring but on a few occasions we broke with plenty of options, i also thought Harry Kewell was a lot better today and didnt give the ball away cheaply.

One downer for me though was didi, i like him but thought he was over casual at times so much so that i thought he was going to lie down.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2004, 07:19:45 pm »
Barnes could have been described as "shitting out" a lot of the time - he was a world class winger for us though. No problem with Kewell as long as he works hard and is prepared to try stuff - because with his ability and with the right players along side him he will be a success.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2004, 07:23:05 pm »
nothing better than seeing Finnan down on the right, and cursing the heavens only for him to bang one away.

3 goals is one thing, three without reply is even better, but three from 'midfield'? That has to be good. The more goals midfield score - the more goals our strikers will do too.

We should have won and we did. Good stuff. Lets go to the Monaco game now with a bit more air in our lungs.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2004, 07:26:28 pm »
Barnes could have been described as "shitting out" a lot of the time - he was a world class winger for us though. No problem with Kewell as long as he works hard and is prepared to try stuff - because with his ability and with the right players along side him he will be a success.

That's precisely how I see it. Harry isn't at the level of skill where he can be *excused* getting stuck in. But if he plays to his best, scoring and creating goals, and we win games, it's not an issue for me.

Rather a few creative lightweights in the team than a load of clod-hopping Carlton Palmers.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2004, 07:30:05 pm »
3 goals is one thing, three without reply is even better, but three from 'midfield'? That has to be good. The more goals midfield score - the more goals our strikers will do too.

I suppose it's down to one up front with five midfielders (Garcia in the 'hole'), three of whom are capable of 15 goals in a season (Gerrard, Kewell and Garcia - the latter two having already scored that many in a single season; Gerrard will do this year at this rate).

The striker can become the link to hold the ball up and play one of these three in on goal. But both Cisse and Baros are also natural finishers too, so this team does have goals. It'll be nice if Riise can notch a few like of old, as that'll be another goalscoring option.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2004, 07:41:02 pm »
which is why I put midfield in ' ' thingies. This is why the 4-5-1 may not be the negative thing on paper than it l;ooks at home, but could actually go on to get results like the one we had tonight.

Very early days and aT Home to WBA but... a glimpse of what Garcia could offer?

We're all excited about Garcia Alonso SG Kewell Hamann Nunez Warnock and IGOR ... but we should be.  :)

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2004, 08:18:18 pm »
How did Cisse do? Charlie Nicholas on sky said he came on, was lively and could've had a hatrick. Play reminded him of Henry when he first moved to England and not being as clinical infront of goal as he is now but he seemed convinced Cisse would turn into the goalscorer we have bought him for  :D

3-0 against anyone is a good result, just what we need for the Monaco game, hope we approach that with the same level of confidence though.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Comic Book Guy

• Legacy Fan
  • In Cyber Space, Nobody Can See Your Man Breasts
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2004, 08:30:19 pm »
Good performance today. Played some good stuff at times with all of our best work in the last 3rd comming through Garcia

On the subject of Kewell and as a Kewell fan, his performance was better today than we have seen but it was nothing spectacular. He did get past their right back a couple of times and put at least 2 cracking balls across the face of goal which only needed to be tapped in which nobody got on the end of. Hopefully he can kick on now, the fact that he now has competition for his place with Warnock & Garcia will hopefully give him a kick up the arse.

The "shit out" quote which was posted was deserved on one occasion today (which I think this is what it was actually being levied at witout being mentioned). West Brom had over committed in the 2nd half, we got the ball back and had a had 3 on 2 on their half way line. The ball broke and Kewell and Purse both went for it, if Kewell had one it we would have had Ciise & Garcia against one of their defenders but he absolutely bricked it and only really put in a half hearted token challenge. Hew was subbed about 5 mins after that. I understand Kewell isn't a ball winning midfielder or anything like that but when we have that type of break on he should really be putting in harder challenges than he did on this occasion

Having just read Rafa's comments on the game, I agree with what he said. We did pass the ball well today and with better movement, especially in the final 3rd, which is where we have struggled in previous seasons. Felt we should have scored more but when we win as comfortable as we did today I always do. Ciise was unlucky not to get on the score sheet, Hoult made a good save at the end of the first save from a snap shot hit with unbelievable pace & again when he looked like he should have scored when one on one at the end. The lad looks desperate to score at Anfield

Garcia did link up well with Ciise better than Baros has been doing, but I was more impressed with the way he linked up with Gerrard, as you will see on MOTD tonight for our first goal. Gerrard has always been good at the give and goal style one-twos, which Garcia seems to be able to read very well, hopefully this will be a sign of things to come. Over recent seasons, how many times have we seen, say, Lunjgberg (?) play a one-two with Bergkamp on the edge of the box which ends with a goal? The answer is plenty

One slight concern is, even though we kept a clean sheet, Jerzy was called on a few occasions to make good saves. He had to fling himself at a 25 yard Koumas strike where nobody went to close him down, made a good save from a header from a corner and in injury time Earnshaw drifted between Hyypia & Carragher and Dudek palmed his shot over the bar. In saying this though, the game was effectively over when he had to make these saves.

On the whole, a very encouraging performance which has lifted the doom & gloom of the Bolton game. Roll on Weds
You should make like my pants... and split

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2004, 08:41:40 pm »
How did Cisse do? Charlie Nicholas on sky said he came on, was lively and could've had a hatrick.

By that did he mean that Cisse came on as sub?  If so then Charlie Nicholas watched a different game.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2004, 08:49:19 pm »
It's nice to have attacking players on the same wavelength, playing to feet and moving into space off the ball.

Simple game, football.

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2004, 09:09:49 pm »
My flight out here to Singapore left me suitably jet-lagged to watch the match on ESPN, and I was v. happy, especially in the first half.  We showed more urgency and hints of the creative cutting edge we have wanted.  Kewell and Garcia together were very exciting - you didn't know what they were going to do, but you were sure it would be exciting.

Djimi looked confident when he came on, and we no longer seem "thin" on the bench to me.  What with the nice opportunities at the end from Milan and Cisse, it was a nice game.  Whoever the commentator was, he needed to put down his crack pipe and stop saying that Dudek should have caught everything instead of blocking some of those shots away.

The defense looked confident at everything with perhaps the exception of corners, Hamann was anonymous (but not in too negative a way, if you know what I mean) and Cisse might have been a little tentative on Stevie G's goal, but other than that no quibbles.

Luis Garcia's miss was so bad that I laughed, but just before the first goal Kewell about broke the defender's leg with a volley, and Hyppia's bullet header rocked Hoult back on his heels.  What struck me most, however, even before the goal, was the way Finnan was trapping long passes.  He stopped them dead and convenient, right in front of himself, every time.  That gave him an edge in disposing of it quickly or running with it, as he didn't have to wait for it to stop bobbling around.  It was a key to his goal, and his passing was very neat because of it as well.  Since he and Harry were getting a lot of longr passes, it really improved our speed of attack that they could both kill the long passes out of the air and the start the attack at speed.

Anyway, we could have scored more, but it was only WBA.  Roll on Wednesday!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 09:58:51 pm by Wilbur »
Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2004, 09:17:41 pm »
I thought the performance today was another absolute disgrace.  How can the club justify paying money for what is only ever disgraceful performances.

Yep you've guessed it, the scoreboard fucked up again.  First half it got stuck with 48 seconds left while the second have it got stuck with 47 seconds left.

He never walked alone

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2004, 09:24:48 pm »
Yep you've guessed it, the scoreboard fucked up again. First half it got stuck with 48 seconds left while the second have it got stuck with 47 seconds left.

At least it showed an improvement in the second half ...
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2004, 09:29:59 pm »
;D  I suppose that is a positive.

He never walked alone

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2004, 09:34:05 pm »
I thought the performance today was another absolute disgrace. How can the club justify paying money for what is only ever disgraceful performances.

Yep you've guessed it, the scoreboard fucked up again. First half it got stuck with 48 seconds left while the second have it got stuck with 47 seconds left.
I noticed that again, it's obviously not up to it maybe we can loan it out for the season maybe to Bolton
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2004, 09:43:59 pm »
just to clairfy, we played 4-5-1 today with cisse up front on his own ?

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2004, 09:49:44 pm »
just to clairfy, we played 4-5-1 today with cisse up front on his own ?

Yes and no. Garcia was behind him. So you could call it two up front, or 4-4-1-1, but above all, it seems a fluid formation with several players attacking from midfield positions.