Author Topic: Liverpool v Graz, Team news, pre, in and post-match comment and analysis  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
As per usual throw all your comments in here.

Confirmed Team

Dudek, Carragher, Hyypia, Henchoz, Riise, Potter, Diao, Gerrard, Kewell, Cisse, Baros.

Subs: Harrison, Warnock, Hamann, Whitbread, Biscan, Finnan, Pongolle.

Josemi misses out with a slight back strain. Nunez out for one month with medial ligament damage. Alonso and Garcia weren't registered in time for this qualifying round.

Here are the press previews:

The Independent

Benitez gives Liverpool's old order chance to shine
By Peter Anthony
24 August 2004

Anything other than a comfortable passage through to the Champions' League proper against Graz AK tonight will be inconceivable to supporters and accountants alike at Anfield.

Indeed, all that the Liverpool players should be competing for is their places against an Austrian side over whom they hold a 2-0 lead after the first leg of this third-round qualifying tie. And for those such as Dietmar Hamann and Steve Finnan that promises to be a challenge that could well define their immediate careers on Merseyside.

With the new Spanish pair of Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia waiting on the sidelines, Rafael Benitez, the Liverpool manager, yesterday stressed the importance of a winning performance tonight. Alonso and Garcia will be registered in time to appear against Bolton on Sunday and Benitez is expected to pitch them straight in. Time is running out for the old order to make an impression and Benitez knows it.

"It is important the players understand we cannot have a bad result," he said. "Sometimes you give the players the opportunity to show people if they are good enough for the team. It is important for them and I am sure they will fight and run enough because they know the supporters and the manager are watching them."

So too will be the board, even more feverishly one must suspect, as a successful arrival in the Champions' League group stages will bring an instant £14m. That would allow Benitez to indulge himself in the transfer market again before the window shuts next week.

To assist in the audit of talent at his disposal, Benitez is likely to give run-outs to the likes of Florent Sinama-Pongolle, Igor Biscan and Salif Diao tonight, while the locally produced youngsters Stephen Warnock, Darren Potter and Zak Whitbread may also get a taste of the action, before the Spaniard begins his revolution in earnest. Back injuries mean the Spanish full-back Josemi and the second-choice goalkeeper Chris Kirkland are doubtful, while Antonio Nunez is about a month away from adding even more pressure to the old brigade.

Sami Hyypia is one who will survive, and he said: "We want to win, we played well in Austria and won 2-0, but we must not allow ourselves to be complacent. Three years ago this club was in the quarter finals of the Champions' League and I do not see any reason why we can't do that again, at least.

"The new boys we have signed I know to be very, very good players. With them added to the side I cannot see why we can't go a long way in the Champions' League this season."

To progress, Graz, the Austrian champions, must either win by three clear goals or by two and score more away goals than Liverpool, although Benitez was not even contemplating such an outcome. "We must win this match because the fans want us to go to the semi-final, even the final, of the Champions' League," he said.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 07:52:44 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
The Times

No quick fix for Benítez despite optimism at Anfield
By Oliver Kay

JUST three matches into his reign as Liverpool manager, Rafael Benítez is already being fêted as a Messiah by some of the club’s more optimistic supporters. However, the Spaniard has given warning that his job is anything but the quick fix that it may appear at first glance.

While he can fully expect his cult status to be enhanced tonight by his team’s progression to the group stages of the Champions League and an accompanying £20 million windfall, the former Valencia coach believes that it will be months before his changes begin to take their full effect.

“We need to improve our level and perhaps we need to change the mentality,” Benítez said as he prepared for the second leg of the Champions League qualifying tie against AK Graz with his team 2-0 up from the first leg in Austria a fortnight ago. “I like my team to be in control the whole time and that is not the case now. Sometimes we are in trouble defensively.

“It wasn’t like this when I took over at Valencia. They already had a very powerful mentality in defence. Here, there is not a big defensive mentality.” Benítez believes that there are some signs that his ideas are being taken on board, pointing to two wins and a draw from his first three games.

Josemi, the Spanish defender, has a slight back injury and is unlikely to be risked tonight. Benítez may try out some of his younger players, such as Stephen Warnock, a midfield player who has made three appearances as a substitute this season, and Florent Sinama-Pongolle, the French forward. The match may represent a final chance for players such as Dietmar Hamann and Steve Finnan to prove their worth, with Xabi Alonso and Luis García, the new signings, eligible to play away to Bolton Wanderers on Sunday.

LIVERPOOL (possible; 4-4-2): J Dudek — S Finnan, J Carragher, S Hyypia, J A Riise — H Kewell, S Gerrard, D Hamann, S Warnock — D Cissé, F Sinama-Pongolle.

AK GRAZ (possible; 4-4-2): A Schranz — J Standfest, A Ehmann, M Tokic, M Dollinger — D Ramusch, S Muratovic, R Aufhauser, M Amerhauser — R Kollmann, A Skoro.

Referee: L Medina Cantalejo (Spain).
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
The Telegraph

Benitez puts emphasis on improving defence
By Sam Wallace
(Filed: 24/08/2004)

There is nothing about the meticulous approach that Rafael Benitez employs in his preparation for matches that should suggest the Liverpool manager is looking any further than tonight's Champions League qualifier against Graz. Just for a moment yesterday however, he allowed himself to savour the possibilities that entry into the continent's elite tournament would bring.

Liverpool carry with them a 2-0 lead from the first leg in Austria that should see them comfortably through to the group stages and guarantee the estimated £15 million in extra revenue those six games provide. It was the absence of Champions League football at Anfield last season that played a key role in Gerard Houllier's dismissal, but its return will allow Benitez to make his mark on the squad.

The Liverpool board will allow Benitez a modest spending spree in January, the former Valencia coach hinted yesterday with the proviso "touch wood". With just three strikers to choose from after Michael Owen's departure, there would be an argument for him spending before the transfer window closes in a week's time but Benitez explained that he would have a better idea of his squad's strengths by the new year.

"I hope that we get through and after that we will decide [on transfers] - and that depends on the players," he said. "If we play well up to Christmas perhaps we won't need anybody. I always concentrate on the balance. We could have a situation in three matches' time when we have problems and we need players in a certain position. But if players do well then we won't.

"For me, and for the players and the supporters the Champions League is very important. We know that we have a lot of good teams to face in the next few months and Anfield needs to see the best football team. Also the money is important and these are the things that are driving us on."

There is not much the Liverpool manager will give away about the changes he is trying to make to his team, but he did suggest yesterday that solving their defensive problems has become a priority. Benitez said that there was a change in "mentality" needed to transform an entire team that went, under Houllier, from being solid to fragile in the space of 12 months.

"I'm not just talking about our defenders but the whole team - we need to have confidence in ourselves," Benitez said. "If you play well the other side will not have an opportunity to get into our box. Here we don't have a big defensive mentality. Defensive work takes time to improve but you can always do it. With attacking play it is different, it often just comes down to talent."

Liverpool's centre-back Sami Hyypia admitted that Benitez had been trying to get these principles "into the players heads quickly". "He has a great knowledge of the game and he has an idea of how it should be played. We are learning how he wants the game played but we know that it doesn't happen straightaway. But it's good that everyone understands what he wants and what they should do in certain situations."

Liverpool (Probable, 4-4-2): Dudek; Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise; Kewell, Hamann, Gerrard, Warnock; Sinama-Pongolle, Cisse.

Graz (Probable, 4-4-2): Schranz; Standfest, Tokic, Ehmann, Dollinger; Ramusch, Aufhauser, Muratovic, Amerhauser; Kollmann, Skoro.

Referee: L M Cantalejo (Spain).

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
The Guardian

We must be better at the back, says Benítez

Dominic Fifield
Tuesday August 24, 2004
The Guardian

Some managers are never satisfied. Rafael Benítez's new side may be unbeaten in the Premiership and virtually through to the Champions League proper but for him there remains considerable scope for improvement.
The Austrians of Grazer AK are likely to feel the brunt of that desire for perfection this evening as Liverpool, comfortable 2-0 victors in the first leg, aim to reach the lucrative group stage. Progress would generate more funds for Benítez to spend in the winter transfer window, though for the moment a new mentality rather than new personnel occupies the Spaniard's mind.

"Anfield needs to see the best teams in this competition but the money is also very important for the club," said Benítez, who may play some of his younger players tonight. "Whether we look to strengthen or not is down to the players. If they play well, we may not need anything.

"I'm happy with the team but we need to improve our level. I like my teams to control situations all the time but sometimes we've been in trouble. We have to work harder because sometimes we have opportunities in attack but problems in defence. If you control the situation, those defensive problems can be cancelled out. It's not just about the defenders, it's about the mentality of the team.

"We have to have more confidence in ourselves. We can play better and we will. We have to stop teams in the build-up well short of our box. When I arrived at Valencia we were very powerful in defence but had problems in attack. Here they don't have a big defensive mentality. We have to find a balance. We can always improve more in defence because defensive work is down to time, whereas with attackers it can come down to talent."

Milan Baros may be rested tonight with Florent Sinama-Pongolle given his first start this season.

Liverpool (4-4-2; probable): Dudek; Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise; Kewell, Gerrard, Biscan, Warnock; Sinama-Pongolle, Cissé.

Grazer AK (4-4-2; probable): Schranz; Standfest, Tokic, Ehmann, Dollinger; Ramusch, Aufhauser, Muratovic, Amerhauser; Kollmann, Skoro.

Referee: L Medina Cantalejo (Spain).

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
So anything from minimal changes to loads of changes then?  ::)

Cheers for posting them though. Saves me looking for them. Some good points by Benny as well.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline Botswana Red

• Kopite
  • Title Chasin'
Wed night Liverpool were mean't to play Portsmouth in the premiership.   Has there been a new date set?  If not, does anyone know when the Pompey match will most likely be played?

Damn, Arsenal will aready be opening a huge point gap :butt
Sign megastars...

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
I like my team to be in control the whole time and that is not the case now.

loved that bit. he scores points in every interview
77-78-81-84-05

Offline ®äfä.. ®äfä...ßëñíTêz

• Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for the memories RB! **YNWA Liam Harker***
Really does not miss a trick Mr Benitez, first class :)
E L  P I S T O L E R O - LUIS SUAREZ  

JOHN W HENRY THE LEGEND - www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
did anyone catch benitez's interview on .tv (eseason)

when asked if everton had been enquiring about finnan and troare, he simply said "i am only thinking now about the match tommorrow".

gotta love it :P
77-78-81-84-05

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
Does anyone know if the game is on the tele?  Not going to be making it up for the game. :(

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Liverpool v Graz, Team news, pre, in and post-match comment and analysis
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 08:15:30 am »
 I can't get the night off work, i'm going to tape it and watch it 'live' during the night, i think it's on i.t.v.2
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 08:22:46 am »
It means me going through another 'Terry and Bob ' ( Likely Lads ) routine watching the match this way, but hopefully i'll avoid the score.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 10:10:44 am »
any youngsters likely to get a run-out?

Potter was on the bench (at least) recently; Partridge is probably injured still; Mellor injured or could he figure?? Surely Welsh would get a look in at some point?

Offline red4ever

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 10:38:41 am »
I reckon Warnock and Flo might start. Can't see any other youngster starting, but if all is going well then probably a sub appearance.

I hope the team doesn't take the match for granted and play it easy. It would be nice to see them going out and really giving a good attacking performance (and I don't mean going gung-ho). IMO the sooner we start getting that kind of mentality in our play the better.
PS3 PSN: aks-78                     Xbox Gamertag: aksb78

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 11:29:26 am »
Independant: 'group stages will bring an instant £14m'
The Times: 'group stages ...an accompanying £20 million windfall'
Telegraph: 'guarantee the estimated £15 million in extra revenue'
Guardian: 'relatively non-commital if we win'

and there's me thinking it's more like 10 million. Times - Murdoch - Sky?

some more good stuff coming from Rafa, he does fill me with a perverse amount of optimism.

With a guarenteed amount of cash (10-20?!) I wonder which striker he will be looking at getting in?  ;) He has 6 days after tonight.

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 12:43:05 pm »
Liverpool (4-4-2; probable): Dudek; Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise; Kewell, Gerrard, Biscan, Warnock; Sinama-Pongolle, Cissé.

I like the look of that  :lickin
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 12:57:50 pm »
IIIggoooorrrr!!!! might play? Excellent news.

Not sure about Kewell on the right tho...  :P

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 01:00:23 pm »
Rafa preaching concentration.....

Rafael Benitez has urged his players not to get carried away by talk of the Champions League group stages as Liverpool must first overcome Grazer AK in the second leg of their third round qualifier at Anfield tonight.

Leading 2-0 from the first leg, the Reds will have every confidence of progression into the group stages of Europe's premier competition and Benitez says his side will understand what is required of them tonight and has hinted that some changes could be made.

He told liverpoolfc.tv: "It's important for us, for the supporters and the club because we know that good teams are waiting for us in the Champions League. The money is important and we have to do things properly and concentrate just on this game.

"They understand what is required. Sometimes you give the players the opportunity to show they are good enough for the team and perhaps for this match you will see two or three different players starting.

"It's important for them and I'm sure they will fight and give it everything. We have played three matches and some of the players have played the full 90 minutes so perhaps I will change something for this match
."

www.lfc365.com/featurearticle

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 01:00:27 pm »
IIIggoooorrrr!!!! might play? Excellent news.

Not sure about Kewell on the right tho...  :P

Not sure about Kewell on the right either but if the plan in future is to play Garcia and Kewell, the option of them swapping wings has to be explored and this gives Harry a chance to try it out...

As for Igor - he is 33/1 (Stan James) to score 1st / last tonight.

Play him in the hole...
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 01:05:49 pm »
Speaking of Igor, who was it in 202 last satdee that as soon as he started to do his first warm-up, running to the kop shouted "IIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRR"?

Was funny like  ;D
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline Zico73

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 02:54:04 pm »
If Usher is right then we will see this team against Grazer AK:
Dudek
Carra-Henchoz-Hyypia-Riise
Potter-Biscan-Hamann-Warnock
Baros-Cisse

Usher said  Henchoz,Warnock,Potter and Biscan will play tonight! I hope he is right. Watching Potter and Warnock will be great! :wave
--
"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage" - Rafael Benitez

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 05:48:37 pm »
I would have thought that FSP would have got a run out to rest DC or MB - prime opportunity to rest one or both ?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2004, 06:42:41 pm »
I would have thought that FSP would have got a run out to rest DC or MB - prime opportunity to rest one or both ?

Or prime opportunity to improve their partnership against weak opposition too IMO.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline ®äfä.. ®äfä...ßëñíTêz

• Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for the memories RB! **YNWA Liam Harker***
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2004, 07:02:44 pm »

Or prime opportunity to improve their partnership against weak opposition too IMO.

Agree with that
E L  P I S T O L E R O - LUIS SUAREZ  

JOHN W HENRY THE LEGEND - www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2004, 07:05:25 pm »
Agree with that

Underestimate CL opponents at your peril......

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2004, 07:20:49 pm »

Underestimate CL opponents at your peril......

Indeed, remember Basel? I've suddenly got this awful bout of pre match nerves, I mean if they score one......  :-\

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2004, 07:23:16 pm »
TEAM CONFIRMED

Dudek, Carra, Hyypia, Henchoz, JAR, Potter, Diao, Gerrard, Kewell, Cisse, Baros.

Subs: Harrison, Warnock, Hamann, Whitbread, Biscan, Finnan, Pongolle.

Few surprises, no Warnock or Biscan in starting line up.  ???

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2004, 07:34:32 pm »
A little odd, that selection. Not questioning it, just surprising. Diao seems to be in favour...

On the whole, looks strong enough - we shouldn't take this game lightly. Once we're 1-0 or 2-0 up on the night, then bring on three kids.

Offline JaZa

• Anny Roader
  • Don't bomb Iraq... Nuke Manchester
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2004, 07:34:51 pm »
Potter is a surprise... As is the lack of Biscan. I never expected to see Harry out on the right (Rafa has made it clear he is a left winger, none else), but I thought Finnan would remain. Good to see the youngins given a chance...

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2004, 07:35:30 pm »
I'm surprised that Diao would be picked ahead of Biscan for the CM position...I was hoping that Igor would get a start!!!! 

I've suddenly got this awful bout of pre match nerves, I mean if they score one...... 

I'm also suddenly nervous....but then again, we did come back to win the match against Man City--meaning that the Houllier days are over. 
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 07:48:32 pm »
No nerves what-so-ever, maybe im under-estimating our opponenets but the football we've been playing of late should blow these guys away, provided of course that we play tonight as we have in our last few games.
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 07:51:21 pm »
That is a weird choice, diao did ok at the weekend, but did sod all in preseason in midfield whereas biscan looked more than decent.

Its a shame he didn't swap kewell to the right as it would have given warnock a much deserved game and an early indicator of a leftfooted player on the right under benitez.

Offline miffed

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2004, 07:59:00 pm »
What, if anything, can be read into no Didi in tonight's lineup?  He's already cup tied.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2004, 08:02:36 pm »
After just watching the interview with Rafa on ITV2 I can honestly say that this guy inspires me with his words, so god knows what he does to the players?  :o
Justice for the 96.

Offline StevieinDisguise8

• Boys Pen
  • JFT96 and f*ck the s*n
Predictions for the game
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004, 08:03:20 pm »
any preditions for tonights game?

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 08:03:39 pm »
What, if anything, can be read into no Didi in tonight's lineup?  He's already cup tied.

Absolutely nothing mate, he's been rested, simple as.

Offline JaZa

• Anny Roader
  • Don't bomb Iraq... Nuke Manchester
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2004, 08:05:31 pm »
Just a rest for Didi - nothing else I should think. Gerrard may also be subbed off (unless Rafa is one of those "Captain plays the 90 mins" types) if all goes well. I don't expect to see Kewell or Riise play a whole game, whilst FSP might also get a run out I should think if we do well. I tend to think that if we can kill the tie in the first half Rafa will get some sight of some of the less experienced. But only if we kill the tie off.....

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
Re: Predictions for the game
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2004, 08:05:45 pm »
None whatsoever.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2004, 08:08:07 pm »

I predict this thread will get deleted or merged, very soon...

:D
87:13

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004, 08:08:09 pm »
3 - 0
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)