Author Topic: What do we know about Graz AK?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline wellsie82

• Where's me tractorrrrrrrrr?
  • Legacy Fan
What do we know about Graz AK?
« on: July 31, 2004, 08:25:59 pm »
Who are their dangermen?

Although we'll show them lots of respect will we be troubled by these lot?

I've found out tonight they won their cup last year on penalties by the way

They've also beaten FT Bregenz 3-1 tonight with goals from Skoro, R. Kollmann & G. Sick
the best cashback site on the net.... Click here to get signed up

Offline Robin Duke

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What do we know about Graz AK?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 08:52:15 pm »
They won the Austrian league and cup double, but apart from that, all I know about them is that they come from Austria, they play at the Arnold Schwarzanegger (I know that's spelt wrong) stadium, and that's about it!

Offline wellsie82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 08:57:24 pm »
me too mate, was hoping the official site would have done their usual page on their facts and figures etc

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
  • The best day of my life
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 10:52:29 pm »
GAK is a solid team and their main strength is the never-say-die attidude! They don't have any big stars in their team but some good players which could trouble us, like Kollmann (Topscorer of the austrian league last year), Skoro (both scored tonight against Bregenz) and their defence is very good (for austrian standard)

Ehmann and Pogatetz are really quality defenders and both members of the squad of our national team!

Best players: Ehmann, Pogatetz, Kollmann, Skoro, Bazina

They play in the Arnold Scharzenegger stadium (Graz = birthplace of big Arnie, that's why the stadium is named after him, it's not a joke as you may think) The stadium is for 15.500 supporters, our allocation will be about 1.500 tickets. The stadium was build just a few years back, so it's really up to the international standard and the view is very good.

GAKs local rivals are Sturm Graz, Sturm Graz has always been the number 1 in Graz but in the last years the situation changed becaus of GAKs manager Walter Schachner who did a fantastic job with a very small budget! Maybe you will remember Sturm Graz in the Ch. League a few years back when the qualified for the 2. group stages, in the first group the played against Rangers and Monaco, so you see they are not that bad and GAK isn't that bad either at the moment, they nearly kicked Ajak out ouf the Ch. League Qualifier last year when they only lost to a silver goal in over time in Amsterdam!

GAK fans are really nice people and you shouldn't have any troubles, they will be very welcoming and it shouldn't be a problem to go for a pint with the lot ;-)

i hope that helps a little bit! if you want to know anyting more about GAK please ask! I live in Vienna so i can't help if you need informations about accomodation or flights ;-)

One life, one love, one LIVERPOOL FC

Offline wellsie82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 10:56:03 pm »
Christoph that was just what i was after, a personal account of the team/set-up, thank you

I'll only be doing the home leg here in the UK but it sounds like they've got a neat stadium over there

Should be a good tie, are you going to either game?

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 11:07:22 pm »
To introduce myself i'm a Liverpudlian from Austria and i'm 22 years old, i support the mighty Reds since 7 years (but only because the TV coverage was non-existant before) but Fowler, Macca, Collymore and Co. are the reason for my love to the Reds! My first time at Anfield was in 2002 and it was one of the best moments in my life, since then my love got even stronger and to date i've been to Anfield for 4 times with a next trip on the cards! :-)

The game in Graz is the occasion i dreamt about for years but (because of my luck *haha*) i'm on holiday in greece for the next two weeks and can't travel to Graz, as you can imagine it broke my heart and i'm really down about it! At the moment i'm watching out for a organized tour by GAK for the return leg at Anfield and if they can make a good offer (fligth + ticket)  i will come over for the second leg! I would have to go with the GAK fans (away end) but that wouldn't be that big a problem for me, because Anfield is a very special place for me because only to be there means that much for me!

Maybe some will call me gloryhunter or daytripper but my love for the reds is true, and everlasting! ;-)

The problem for me is i have to do the trips to Anfield  on my own (most times) because there aren't many reds out here :-( but for me Liverpool and Anfield is my second home and i love the scouse humor (if i can understand what they say *lol*)!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 11:09:41 pm by Christoph »

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 11:11:58 pm »
@ wellsie

why don't you come over for the first leg in Graz? Graz is really a nice place (familar) and it was capital of culture last year! the stadium is really pretty but it's quite small, but it's much better than trips to Lublijana, Sofia or Bucharest! Austria is really a nice place to be and Graz should make for a really enjoyable trip!

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 11:15:18 pm »
Christoph, the beer cost nothing in Bucharest and not much more in Sofia, hence the reason i was hoping to go a bit further into eastern europe.

Hopefully i will be going. Just got to get a flight sorted.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 11:16:01 pm »
If it's going to be a better trip than the three that you mention it'll be a belter.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 11:19:15 pm »
If it's going to be a better trip than the three that you mention it'll be a belter.

You going to watch the game this time then  ;D
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 11:21:58 pm »
Ok, it won't be as cheap as the three trips i mentioned  ;D but money isn't all, is it??

you will have to pay about 3 Euro for a pint, so it's not as cheap as in Bucharest, Sofia or the rest of eastern europe! but i think you will enjoy the city of Graz because it's really a nice place to be, many small bars/pubs but i think you will try them on your own!  ;D

I'm not too sure about the comfort and the view of the stadiums in Bucharest, Sofia etc. but i think the Scharzenegger stadium will be better! it's a little bit like an english ground, you are quite near to the pitch and the accustic is quite good so it should make for a good atmosphere and i hope it will be possilbe to hear FOAR, PST etc. over the TV in IOS!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 11:23:59 pm by Christoph »

Offline wellsie82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 11:22:58 pm »
@ wellsie

why don't you come over for the first leg in Graz? Graz is really a nice place (familar) and it was capital of culture last year! the stadium is really pretty but it's quite small, but it's much better than trips to Lublijana, Sofia or Bucharest! Austria is really a nice place to be and Graz should make for a really enjoyable trip!

I had both weeks booked off work as I didn't know where we'd be playing either week till yesterday but all the time I'd only planned to do the home tie really

I'd like to do an away tie some time though, does sound fun when I hear of the tales from other's who've been away

I'll be up in Liverpool for 2 nite in August so I'll make do with that, will probably be more expensive staying up there than it would have been to do the away leg!

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 11:27:29 pm »
I heard that our allocation will be 1.500 tickets, do you think we will sell all of them? i think it shouldn't be a problem!?!?!? oh, how i would loved it to be there  :'( a scouse invasion in styria! A european away game would be dream come true for me, but it's not really possible to get tickets is it?? (if you aren't season ticket holder or in the ETC)

Offline wellsie82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 11:28:35 pm »
I think if the allocation is as small as 1,500 they'll all go without question

Although i've never been on a Euro away I know demand is always high

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 11:30:39 pm »

You going to watch the game this time then  ;D

Thanks   :upyours

I might do yes.

Ok, it won't be as cheap as the three trips i mentioned  ;D but money isn't all, is it??

you will have to pay about 3 Euro for a pint, so it's not as cheap as in Bucharest, Sofia or the rest of eastern europe! but i think you will enjoy the city of Graz because it's really a nice place to be, many small bars/pubs but i think you will try them on your own!  ;D

I'm not too sure about the comfort and the view of the stadiums in Bucharest, Sofia etc. but i think the Scharzenegger stadium will be better! it's a little bit like an english ground, you are quite near to the pitch and the accustic is quite good so it should make for a good atmosphere and i hope it will be possilbe to hear FOAR, PST etc. over the TV in IOS!  ;)

That's more than I fucking pay here.  Money aint everything, but it does have an impact.

I asked some questions on another thread, but it got merged.

I've never been to Graz before so......

How far from town is the airport (Ryanair specifically) and how much do we pay in taxi/bus/train withot getting ripped off ?

Any decent hotels (decent = cheap and clean) ?

*cough* Any decent strip clubs ? *cough*

Is there a big square in the centre of town that I can buy bottles of beer and just sit there ?

Is it hot this time of year ? 

Cheers lad.  Shame you ain't gonna be there to watch the game.  Poorly timed holiday that .....   :P

Offline Christoph

• Kopite

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2004, 11:38:11 pm »
I've booked my holidays some months ago so i couldn't know that the "worst case scenario" will happen!  ;D

Graz is a city with many small streets with bars and pubs, you don't have a big place like the Marinplatz in Munich or something like that!  ;) if you buy the beer in a supermarket you will have to pay about 6-8 Euros für a bag of 6! If you drink inside a bar you'll have to pay EUR 3-3.50 per pint! ;-)

As i said i don't live in Graz so i can't really help about cheap accomodation or something like that, if you have questions about their team or the club i hope i will be able to answer them for you! ;-)

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2004, 11:42:04 pm »

Today we had about 28 degrees so it's quite hot, but it isn't a really good summer over here so the weather may change! but i would say the weather is better than in England, it's normally warmer over here than in Britain (except winter) it gets hotter in summer but colder in winter if you compare it to Britain!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 11:47:04 pm by Christoph »

Offline wellsie82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 11:47:41 pm »
probably not too much difference at the moment then as we're experiencing a heat wave!

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 11:53:32 pm »
you won't need your skis with you if you come over!  ;D

Do you need to know anything else about the club or their team??? Graz isn't that big a city so the taxi from the airport to the center shouldn't be too expansive (Airport - City centre = ca. 20-25 km)!

population = ca. 230.000

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: August 1, 2004, 12:00:27 am »
Some information about GAK in English from their website:

Founded in 1902, GAK (Grazer Athletic Sports Club) is one of the oldest Football Clubs in the province of Styria and, together with the Viennese clubs Rapid and Austria Vienna, SV Salzburg, Innsbruck, LASK and our local Rivals SK Sturm Graz, one of the traditional Clubs in Austria. In the 102nd year GAK has now reached the top level in the club's history by winning the Austrian Championship for the first and the Austrian Cup Trophy for the 4th time.

GAK was founded on August 18th 1902, the time soccer became popular in Austria even outside Vienna, by a group of students. Looking at the teams currently competing in the Austrian Bundesliga only Rapid Wien has got a longer club history. From the beginning the team colours were red and white. The club has always been located in the north of Graz where also the new training grounds are being built at the moment. At the beginning of the last century GAK was the leading team in Styria, and during this years also the rivalary with SK Sturm (founded 1909) emerged. GAK won the Styrian Championship 9 times in a row between 1924 and 1932. (There was no Austrian League before the second world war, but only leagues of the single provinces with the Viennese League as the only professional one.)

From 1951 on GAK was an important member of the Austrian League, winning the Austrian Cup Trophy in 1981, the first title won by a Styrian team. The club had to go down into second league two times: Relegated in 1974, when the league was reduced from 16 to 10 teams, the team with the club's current chairman Rudi Roth as goalkeeper, won promotion again immediately. The second time in League 2 lasted from 1990 to 1995. From then on, the club has been in permanent progress. Qualifying for the European Cups in 9 out of 10 seasons, celebrating the 100th anniversary with a game against Real Madrid, gaining respect in Europe with great performances against Inter Milano and Ajax Amsterdam, winning the Cup Title three more times in 2000, 2002 and 2004 - the last ten years were definitely the most successful ones in GAK's history. And this was all topped by the first Austrian Championship in 2004, the title so many people were waiting for years or even centuries.

The club is now led by styrian businessman and former goalkeeper Rudi Roth. Our home games are helt at Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Stadium. The average attendance reached more than 9.000 last season, which is second best in the league and the highest number in the club's history. Still the team is supported by people mostly from Graz and Styria, gaining more and more sympathy in other parts of Austria.

The team is now built by mostly Austrian players, many of them members of the national team, and some of the best foreigners currently playing in the Austrian league. Mario Tokic was a member of the Croatian team in the Euro 2004, goalkeeper Andreas Schranz, defenders Anton Ehmann, Joachim Standfest and Emanuel Pogatetz (on loan from Leverkusen), midfielders Rene Aufhauser, Martin Amerhauser and Matthias Dollinger as well as striker Roland Kollmann, the league's topscorer with 27 goals in 2003/04, have played for Austria in 2004. For the oncoming season the club signed Bosnian international Alen Skoro from FC Sarajevo and Austrian Gernot Plassnegger from Hansa Rostock. The team is coached by Walter Schachner, who has been one of the most successful Austrian players in the seventies and eighties, playing for several teams in Italian Serie A as well as for the National Team. He is now the highest rated Austrian coach, having already worked at FC Kärnten, where he won promotion to the first league, and Austria Vienna. There he had to leave when the club signed Christoph Daum as their new coach in autumn 2002. Schachner soon joined GAK, then in relegation struggle, and led the team to the second place in the league. In his second season in Graz GAK showed a great performance in the third qualification round of Champions League, losing against Ajax Amsterdam only in overtime. (Both games ended 1:1.) But the team recovered from this disappointment, just to get a new chance to qualify by winning the Double in 2003/04.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: August 1, 2004, 12:04:56 am »
I hope we'll take the tie really serious because otherwise we could get trouble in Graz, they will fight for their lifes because that's a really special chance for them! some of the GAK players said (after the draw) that Liverpool was their favourite opponent because they have so much respect for our great club and they love the atmosphere in english grounds i hope our supporters will be up for it in the second tie at Anfield! ;-)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: August 1, 2004, 12:17:40 am »
taken from an austrian regular on ynwa:

I'm not posting as frequent on this board as I used to, but those who know me also know that I'm from Austria. So if you have some questions about the upcoming match I'll try to answer them for you.

As far as GAK is concerned: They're my favourite team in Austria. They're playing a 4-4-2 system with Kollmann as a main striker. He was top scorer last season and is a player who likes to work in the box and get headers in. His weakness: He's slow.

Their defense is another plus. With Tokic and Ehmann playing similar to Henchoz and Hyypiä. In midfield coach Schachner will use the speed of the wingers.

One thing is for sure: They will try to attack - even if it means to lose, as the coach is no friend of defensive tactics.

My predicition: GAK will not cause an upset, especially if we score one or two goals in Graz. They're good - but not in the same class as, for example, Basel.

Now on to other things: If you're going to Vienna you're best advised to go to Graz by train. The train service is excellent and is operating every hour from Vienna to Graz. Trains in Vienna depart from Wien Südbahnhof and Wien-Meidling which is also the first station from Südbahnhof to Graz.

The subway station for Wien Südbahnhof is U1 Südtiroler Platz (and some 100 metres by foot), for Wien-Meidling it's U6 Philadelphiabrücke.

It takes about 2 hours to go from Vienna to Graz.

As I said, the service is daily and every hour - but beware: Trains are going either to Graz or Villach - if thy're going to Villach you have to get out at Bruck an der Mur and switch trains - you better ask the staff if you have to get out or can stay on the train. And you'll also enjoy some great landscape while going to Graz - you're crossing the country where I was born (Styria)

Graz itself is a nice city with Italian flair - at least the inhabitants think so

Most of my friends were off to Graz for university whereas I went to Vienna - and you can't compare those two cities.

The stadium in Graz is located on the outskirts of Graz. That said, it's not located in the city centre  I'm sure all of the residents will help you if you lost your way. The city and its population is very friendly and you will be treated with awe if you behave the right way (= not pissing in fountains, smashing bottles on public places etc.).

As for myself - I will try to get 2 tickets for the game but I'm not optimistic about getting them. Maybe I'll tryo to get some for thre return leg at Anfield 

If you have some questions, keep posting them here - I'll have a look every few hours or so.

Gunther aka Dalglish
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #23 on: August 1, 2004, 05:40:56 pm »
I heard that our allocation will be 1.500 tickets, do you think we will sell all of them? i think it shouldn't be a problem!?!?!?
Not sure about that, I mean we only flogged 1800 for Marseille.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 1, 2004, 06:03:36 pm »
This is the Arnie Schwarzenegger Stadion

This is their website:

http://www.gak.at/article/archive/41

Offline Coyney

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: August 1, 2004, 08:58:35 pm »
Although i strongly expect to beat ak graz we will have to be wary after all it just takes one counter attack in the last minute of the second leg and we may well be out. I think under rafa we will have alot of confidece and  very much doubt we will fall at the first.
O danny boy

Offline Trell

• Kopite
  • "Winning trophies has made me put on weight."
« Reply #26 on: August 2, 2004, 02:45:59 am »

From what i have read here and elsewhere this is not a pushover team. They appear to be a team in high spirits and one that is effectively used to winning. Admitted they are not winners of La Liga or the premiership but winning becomes a habit all the same. My suspicion is that Rafa will be taking the threat very seriously.

From the pics posted above it looks like a tidy little ground that although small will be able to create a pretty good atmosphere. I will be jealous of anyone at the game lol.
Famous words of wisdom:

If you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, stick it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards!

I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #27 on: August 2, 2004, 03:04:09 am »
An excerpt from the BBC report, perhaps youve seen it.

They have proved to be tough opposition in Europe, only losing out in extra-time to Ajax in the third qualifying round of last year's Champions League (both games haviong ended 1-1).

The team is built around a strong core of Austrian players, led by Roland Kollmann, top scorer in the Austrian league last season with 27 goals.

They also have the best crop of imports in Austria, with Mario Tokic a member of Croatia's Euro 2004 squad.

For the coming campaign GAK have signed Bosnian international Alen Skoro from FC Sarajevo and Austrian Gernot Plassnegger from Hansa Rostock.

(p.s. am i right in saying that they qualified this season after winning the league for the first time in their history? seems they are on a high, though i think theyve not started this season too brightly)

77-78-81-84-05