Author Topic: CL: Ajax 0 v Liverpool 3 Salah 41' Nunez 48' Elliot 50'  (Read 12805 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
CL: Ajax 0 v Liverpool 3 Salah 41' Nunez 48' Elliot 50'
« on: October 26, 2022, 06:48:22 pm »
Ajax vs Liverpool

20:00, Wednesday 26th August
Johan Cruyff Arena, Amsterdan
Champions League League
Referee: José María Sánchez (ESP)

We find ourselves very much at the business end of the Champions League Group Stage this week – five of thirty-two teams are already guaranteed a place in the Knockout Phase, and a handful more will likely join them by the time Wednesday is done. That very much applies to Group A, where a point for Liverpool – away in Amsterdam – will assure them of a place in the draw for February’s Round of 16 matches. Despite a six-point deficit to their visitors, however, Ajax themselves will see opportunity when reflecting on Liverpool’s form and each side’s remaining fixtures.

The clubs’ meeting at Anfield last month was only a fifth competitive match in their history, with Liverpool claiming a 2-1 victory. The sides were tied at 1-1 going into the final moments of the match, courtesy of Moham(m)ed’s Salah & Kudos – Joel Matip’s late winner ensures that the group feels very differently going into this week’s match than it might otherwise have done so. Previous meetings between the sides have also been in the same competition, with Ajax achieving a 7-3 aggregate victory over Liverpool in the European Cup Second Round in 1966-67 and the Reds claiming a pair of 1-0 victories over their opponents in the 2020-21 Champions League Group Stage.

After the relatively fallow 00s period, Ajax have looked in good health again over the last decade or so. Legendary centre-back, Frank de Boer won four successive titles (as he did as a play in the 90s) as Ajax manager between 2010-11 and 2013-14 – after a transitional period, Ajax then won three in succession (and were leading the Covid-abandoned 2019-20) under Erik ten Hag, prior to his departure to take over at Manchester United this summer. The peak of recent Ajax is surely the young team that won the league in 2018-19 but had their hearts broken by Lucas Moura in the Champions League Semi Final – that team, featuring Matthijs de Ligt, Frenkie de Jong, Donny van de Beek, and Hakim Ziyech, was one of those fantastic Ajax sides that comes along every generation or so to remind everyone of the magic that surrounds the club.

As was largely expected, Erik ten Hag’s 2018-19 Ajax side began to be dismantled by the pressures & temptations of the wider footballing market just as it hit its peak – de Ligt and de Jong departed in 2019 itself, whilst van de Beek and Ziyech followed a year later. Only really Daley Blind and Dusan Tadic – formerly of United and Southampton, respectively – remain, and a number of further departures (including ten Hag himself) brought the curtain down on that Ajax team during this summer.

The club remain in good health domestically, however – they’ve won the last three league titles and a couple of cups, and have a 4 point lead over regular rivals PSV & Feyenoord a third of the way through their first Eredivisie season with new coach Alfred Schreuder. They’ve scored 15 in their last three in the league, but face PSV in their next match – having lost only to 4th-place AZ so far during their league season, the PSV match will be a significant indicator as to where Ajax stand this season: a win and they strengthen a strong position at the top, but a defeat would suggest potential weaknesses in their armour and give rivals cause for optimism for when the league picks up again in the new year.

Schreuder’s Ajax began with a commanding 4-0 home victory over Rangers (returning after an eleven year absence) in their opening Champions League Group Stage match, but have since followed the loss to Liverpool with two comprehensive defeats to Napoli. As things stand, that Joel Matip goal could prove a pivotal one – Ajax will however feel that Liverpool’s Champions League wins and their recent victory over Manchester City represent the Reds flattering to deceive, and it’s not incomprehensible that the Ajax and Liverpool could both end the Group Stage on 9 points each. A big game awaits for both clubs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:01:01 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL: Ajax v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 06:49:08 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 06:49:47 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 07:57:03 pm »
The two teams are walking out and it's a noisy atmosphere. Let's quieten it down Reds.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 08:00:58 pm »
0 We get the game underway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 08:02:52 pm »
1 Looks like Salah is on the right, Nunez on the other side and Bobby dropping into the hole. We are getting plenty of early possession.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 08:03:56 pm »
2 Oh wow, terrible defending by us and Ajax hit the post and they should have done better there.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 08:06:07 pm »
4 Ajax had an early free kick, but we eventually get it away. It looks like the big guy Brobbey is trying to put pressure on Gomez rather than Van Dijk.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 08:07:25 pm »
6 They get another shot at our goal after we fail to close down quickly enough.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 08:09:31 pm »
8 It's been a strong start by Ajax, but we had a good move there, but the last ball was just a bit too long.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 08:11:01 pm »
9 That move was much better a lovely reverse ball in the play between Trent and Salah. But Mo's cross is collected by the keeper.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 08:13:35 pm »
12 We are prepared to play a patient game here, especially with Ajax really needing a result here. The stadium atmosphere is noticeably quieter.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022, 08:15:16 pm »
13 Ajax take a very flat free kick, but Henderson kicks it away.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2022, 08:16:53 pm »
15 We have a crazy moment when Trent carelessly tosses the ball away and Bergwijn gets a shot, but it drifts wide of the post.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2022, 08:17:59 pm »
16 Another shot at our goal, but Alisson is there to make an easy safe. But Ajax are putting on some pressure.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2022, 08:19:29 pm »
Ajax are going to score soon, we're doing everything wrong.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2022, 08:20:34 pm »
19 A little bit of pressure in the Ajax half for a change.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2022, 08:21:57 pm »
20 Ajax at the moment is doing a Liverpool on us, closing down space really quickly so we can't keep the ball for any space of time.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2022, 08:23:46 pm »
21 Nothing really going right at the moment. Another cleared shot, Alisson tries to get us going quickly but Trent overshoots a ball which goes straight through to Stekelenburg in the Ajax goal.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2022, 08:25:29 pm »
24 We are so sloppy at the moment, Trent tries a cross field ball and Robbo takes his eye off it and it goes out. We need to start doing simple things though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2022, 08:27:40 pm »
26 I would like to say something encouraging, too many players walking around and then we are messing up are passing and making it easy for Ajax.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2022, 08:29:51 pm »
28 First time we have properly been in their box and a good ball goes in, but Ajax do well to clear it.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2022, 08:31:26 pm »
No rhythm to this at all.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2022, 08:32:16 pm »
30 Mo goes for a run but there is no one in the area, Henderson then crosses in but Ajax clear.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2022, 08:34:38 pm »
32 We are at least getting a bit of pressure around the Ajax box now.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 08:35:08 pm »
33 Over to Sir Bob.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2022, 08:36:05 pm »
33 Half chance there as Robbo dashes into the box but the angle is tight and he fires it into the side netting

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2022, 08:37:00 pm »
35 Ajax in again, more poor defending from us. Falls to Tadic at the back stick, great chance but Trent throws himself in the way to block. Very lucky escape.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2022, 08:38:26 pm »
36 Nunez wants a free kick but the decision goes against him. Ref saying he was acting and no contact.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2022, 08:41:19 pm »
The attack is looking very disjointed tonight. Also, we are so deep that often there is no one there.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2022, 08:41:25 pm »
40 Elliot tests the keeper with a shot from outside the box but it’s a fairly simple save

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2022, 08:42:47 pm »
41 Get in, 1-0 reds. Hendo plays Salah in, the keeper comes flying out, no idea why and it’s a brilliant finish from Mo, chipping it around the keeper. It’s a great finish.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: CL: Ajax 0 v Liverpool 1 Salah 41'
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2022, 08:43:29 pm »
We are probably quite lucky, but anyway get in.  ;D

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2022, 08:45:11 pm »
44 What is Nunez doing? It’s a great move, Robbo tees up Bobby who squares it to Nunez, absolute sitter at the back post, open goal and he hits the post.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2022, 08:45:57 pm »
I don't know how he missed it, but then Bobby could have taken a shot as well.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2022, 08:47:29 pm »
HT 1-0. Just before that we had a corner which Ajax cleared. Good chances at both ends but we go in ahead at the break

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2022, 09:03:24 pm »
45 Ajax get us back underway. They are really going to have to go for it this half, as they need a result. Hopefully we can take advantage of that.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2022, 09:05:37 pm »
46 A decent move that. A good pass by Gomez and Trent takes it first time and puts in a really good cross, but they clear it.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2022, 09:07:38 pm »
That’s more like it

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2022, 09:07:50 pm »
48 A great delivery and Nunez finally gets this goal. 2-0. Great header.