Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 1 v West Ham 0 Nunez 21  (Read 16891 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
PL: Liverpool 1 v West Ham 0 Nunez 21
« on: October 19, 2022, 06:55:20 pm »
Liverpool FC vs West Ham United
Wednesday 19 October 2022. Kick off: 7.30pm
Referee: Stuart Attwell. Assistants: Darren Cann, Harry Lennard. Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh. VAR: Craig Pawson. Assistant VAR: Dan Cook.

So, Sunday was quite a viewing experience, wasn't it? I bet some of you wished you'd hedged your bets in the preview like I did. Don't worry, you have another chance now because the games are coming thick and fast and we have West Ham up next. They had a terrible start in August but have picked up some wins since and are slowly starting to feel their way into the season. They're also much better at home than away, which makes this a potentially easier one to predict. It feels like we've picked up hugely since half time at Rangers and our players are starting to regain fitness (while others unfortunately take their place in the injury room).

All of this means the line up isn't necessarily straightforward. It feels like Nunez will likely start ahead of Carvalho alongside Mo and Bobby, with Trent coming in at right back. But does Robbo play again when Tsimikas is fit? Do we rest Thiago or does Hendo come in, either for him or for Elliott who I thought was great yesterday? And does the fact the weekend game is against bottom-of-the-league Forest make a difference?

Injuries

West Ham: Nayef Aguerd (ankle), Maxwel Cornet (calf). Doubtful: Kurt Zouma, Craig Dawson.

Liverpool: Joel Matip (calf), Luis Diaz (knee), Naby Keita (back), Diogo Jota (hamstring). Doubtful: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ibrahima Konaté.

So what can we expect from West Ham? I could have spent time actually researching them but it felt like a lot of work so I enlisted some help. Tom Victor writes about football for the Mirror and is a West Ham season ticket holder. He is also the author of What Would Jurgen Klopp Do, still available for those seeking an early xmas present. I think all fans should buy it!

Anyway, he's agreed to answer a few questions on what we can expect for Wednesday. Tom, how are you enjoying your season so far?

T: It’s been weird. Always expected it to take a bit of time for the new signings to settle in but it looks like it’s starting to happen now. Still feels like we need a big result, which almost happened against Chelsea, but most of the fun so far has been in Europe.

S: Thoughts on David Moyes? We have some history with him!

T: I didn’t want him the first time or the second time he was appointed but he’s proved me wrong. Giving West Ham European football means he’s bought himself plenty of goodwill, but he’s still been a bit too conservative against traditional big teams.

S: How are the new signings working out?

T: Scamacca and Kehrer look at home already. Paquetá is getting there and Emerson is, well he’s Emerson. Not sure if any of the others will feature but Aguerd getting injured has hurt the preparations a bit.

S: What's the verdict on our season so far? What did you think of the Man City game?

T: Weirdly I haven’t seen much Liverpool at all this season. From the last couple of games though it looks like Van Dijk has got over wherever was holding him back for the last few months and that seems key.

S: Have you been to this fixture before? If so, do any matches stand out?

T: In London yes, at Anfield no. Very fond memories of the 2016 FA Cup game and Ogbonna’s last minute winner. Very fond memories of getting drunk on whisky cocktails to forget the 4-1 defeat in 2017 that got Bilic sacked.

S: How are West Ham likely to line up?

T: Depends on the fitness of centre backs. We played a back five of five full backs at Southampton, which seems sub-optimal, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Antonio back in for Scamacca if we’re playing a counterattacking game. If the injury returns go as planned then a guess I would say: Fabianski; Kehrer, Dawson, Zouma, Cresswell/Emerson; Rice, Souček; Bowen, Paquetá, Fornals/Behrahma; Antonio.

S: Who are the danger men going to be in the West Ham side?

T: Lucas Paquetá, again. He has a knack of doing not much and then producing some genius in a way we haven’t really had since Dimitri Payet, but we haven’t seen the best of him yet. Jarrod Bowen is finally hitting some form too but he’s started the season very slowly.

S: Lastly, do you have a favourite Liverpool match?

T: From a West Ham perspective, that 2-1 in the cup. From a neutral perspective it’s hard to look past the 4-4 against Chelsea in the Champions League. Just a nonsense football match for so many reasons.

So, there you go. City and Arsenal aren't playing while Spurs and the Mancs are playing each other, so if we win we make up ground whatever happens. Let's do this!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 07:54:01 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool v West Ham
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 06:56:19 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 06:57:01 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 07:27:59 pm »
The teams are out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 07:31:06 pm »
0 West Ham kick off. We are attacking the Anfield Road end.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 07:32:27 pm »
1 West Ham are packing the midfield, trying to stop us from getting out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 07:33:46 pm »
1 An error there from Ali which we get away with. We win the ball back and the ball gets sent downfield, but it's too long for Salah.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 07:34:58 pm »
3 A good run there from Nunez really moving along the ground.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 07:36:28 pm »
4 We are seeing plenty of the ball now in the West Ham half. We retrieve the ball and Bobby has a shot but its wide.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 07:37:45 pm »
6 We get a move going but West Ham just about manage to contain it, but we are looking lively.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 07:38:48 pm »
7 Ali needs to take care with his kicking once again goes to a West Ham player, but it's now cleared.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 07:39:38 pm »
Pass completion stats for both sides must be horrendous so far.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 07:40:15 pm »
9 A very sloppy game at the moment. Neither team can keep hold of the ball which is travelling really kick over the grass.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 07:42:26 pm »
11 West Ham get a free kick after a nudge from Thiago right by the corner flag. The ball goes in but Ali easily catches it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2022, 07:43:57 pm »
12 It's a very blustery night, Trent tried a long pass, but the weather got hold of it and our attack had no chance.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2022, 07:45:48 pm »
14 A great ball from Thiago and Nunez shoots it first time really well and it skims over the bar. But really good move. The corner is cleared.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2022, 07:48:34 pm »
16 We are seeing plenty of the ball at the moment, can't quite find the finishing pass and it's quite a sloppy game. Would you believe this time the fouls are being dealt with.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2022, 07:50:32 pm »
18 We get a corner on the left. It goes in but Van Dijk wasn't expecting it and Fabianski catches it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2022, 07:52:03 pm »
20 West Ham continue to get free kicks, but Nunez does quite well in defence and the ball goes out, goal kick to us.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2022, 07:53:27 pm »
21 Wow., what a finish by Nunez. A great ball in and he puts it in brilliantly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool 1 v West Ham 0 Nunez 21
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2022, 07:54:54 pm »
23 Nunez goes in again, and almost makes it two, but the ball gets caught under his feet a bit.

Over to Sir Bob.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2022, 07:55:41 pm »
24 Awful midfield play from both sides, three consecutive passes going astray  :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2022, 07:57:19 pm »
I wonder if the wind is having an affect tonight. When West Ham had their free kick early on the ball was blowing off the spot!

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2022, 07:57:34 pm »
27 Great football between Bobby and Mo. Mo just runs out of space and it’s out for a goal kick.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2022, 08:00:26 pm »
29 Brilliant from Carvalho. Receives it back to goal on the half turn with no space around him and draws the foul. Free kick played in by Tsimikas but it’s cleared

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2022, 08:03:07 pm »
32 Great one touch football between Mo and Carvalho on the edge of the box but they can’t quite find the final pass and West Ham snuff it out

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2022, 08:06:09 pm »
35 Really good football, quick and one touch. Culminates in Mo having a shot wide from about 15 yards out. There was wonderful pass from Thiago in there to really open WHU up

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2022, 08:06:14 pm »
We are playing some nice stuff now.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2022, 08:07:02 pm »
36 Mo slashes high and wide after a great touch and set from Bobby

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2022, 08:07:30 pm »
Can see Mo's confidence is back.

He's being profligate again!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2022, 08:09:05 pm »
Some really nice football once again. Bobby and Mo are purring.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2022, 08:09:29 pm »
38 More lovely football again ends with Mo shooting but it’s tame and easily saved. West Ham break but excellent 1v1 defending from the Greek against Bowen

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2022, 08:10:43 pm »
Och! That's unlucky.

Darwin is battering them.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2022, 08:11:12 pm »
Yes, no one can pick Nunez up at all.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2022, 08:11:14 pm »
39 Ball drops to Nunez just inside the box, he absolutely smashes it and it hits the inside of the post. Great strike. Rebound comes back to him and he scuffs it wide. Real let off for West Ham

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2022, 08:12:47 pm »
41 West Ham want a penalty, not given but VAR are looking. Could be given.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2022, 08:13:24 pm »
It will get given. Pawson is on VAR.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2022, 08:13:50 pm »
Gomez went through the back of the WHU player and he’s gone down. VAR have given it. Poor from Gomez

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2022, 08:15:46 pm »
It’s given. Absolute travesty if it goes 1-1, they’ve done nothing all half. Bowen steps up and misses1

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2022, 08:16:10 pm »
Ali guessed right and pushed it wide of the post