Author Topic: PRE MATCH - Rangers v Liverpool, Ibrox. Wed 12 Oct KO 8pm  (Read 10338 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
PRE MATCH - Rangers v Liverpool, Ibrox. Wed 12 Oct KO 8pm
« on: October 11, 2022, 01:20:09 pm »
8 days after a very comfortable 2-0 win at Anfield over Rangers, we meet again.

I’m not expecting much about this game to be comfortable. Loud Ibrox behind them, they’ll be flying about into tackles. This could be tough if we give away another early goal to a fast starting opponent.
Particularly now we’re missing two of our most creative players in Trent and Diaz.

Along with some now familiar weaknesses Sunday also showed that we are still good enough to compete at the top. We were the better team for most of the first half. But when we got level early in the second half we seemed to lose our way and they seemed the stronger team at the end of the match.

If we’re able to put aside the disappointing result and play as we did in the first half at the Emirates, then we should get back to winning ways here.

Apologies for the late match thread, I’ve not been very well for a couple of days so haven’t had chance to write something proper either.

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: PRE MATCH - Rangers v Liverpool, Ibrox. Wed 12 Oct KO 8pm
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 01:22:35 pm »
Just no more injuries to key players, please.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 01:32:43 pm »
Well we know that Konate and VVD will be the preferred CBs.

Will Joe play RB? Is Robertson ready? Do we get Ramsey some minutes?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 01:36:29 pm »
Would be fine throwing Ramsay straight into this if he had literally any minutes for the first team.  Hopefully gets on towards the end when we're coasting.

They were awful at Anfield and will have to open up at home, so we really should be picking them off easily.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 01:37:30 pm »
I wouldn't be against giving that Scottish kid a go at right back.
Don't watch much of the u23s so don't know much about him at all - do people think he's ready ?

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 01:38:01 pm »
Well we know that Konate and VVD will be the preferred CBs.

I'm not totally convinced. I think it's a good opportunity to play Nat Phillips, and perhaps keep VVD fresh for Sunday?
Think Joe needs minutes at RB.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 01:38:22 pm »
Don't watch much of the u23s so don't know much about him at all - do people think he's ready ?

Think he’s only had a couple of games to build up fitness so difficult to say.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 01:39:40 pm »
It's non stop this football thing isn't it?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 02:01:45 pm »
Id give Ramsey a game just to protect Gomez, Van Dijk and Konate with having to play all the time.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 02:17:06 pm »

He’s been injured so hasn’t played for them either I don’t think.

By default I think it’ll be Joe at RB, with Konate and Virgil in the middle. And might have to be for the next few games which then brings further injury risks. Shite old situation.

Not sure what you do in midfield or up top either. Jota, Nunez, Salah and keep Bobby in his recent supersub role maybe?

Midfield, might need to bring in Harvey or Carvalho alongside 2 of the senior 3 (assuming we might go back to 433 but who knows!).

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 02:37:30 pm »
Hi folks,
did a quick reccie on one of the Rangers fan's forums, reasonable bunch actually. Anyway here are a few of their thoughts about the game.

Seems like the common thread is there has to be a change in tactics from GVB for them to have any realistic hope of scalping us.

"In order to be competitive we need a Napoli type performance full of intensity and energy
Pointless in my opinion reverting to 5 at the back as per Anfield
In my book that didn’t work as we got pummelled and only averted a heavy defeat due to McGregor
I hope we are far more progressive and give it a go to a raucous Ibrox
Certainly expect the atmosphere to be up a notch from Anfield and the team respond to that
If we get beaten so be it"

"After watching that 1st half against Arsenal that team is there to be got at. They're poor apart from the front 4."

"That channel between Trent and VVD will be wider than Lana Wolfs ganking gammon on Tuesday night. We must exploit that. Get Kent running in behind and Borna will find him all night. The midfield has no legs with Henderson and Thiago and Tsimikas is absolutely rank rotten. Get Sakala running at him and hell have him on toast. Sakala doesn't even know what he's going to do with the ball, so Tsimikas will have no chance."

"If Gio doenst have us beaten before we go out onto the park we'll have a chance. If he watches this game today and still goes with a back 5 and flat 3 in midfield I give up. I really do."

"Just totally screw with them and score an early goal. Place will go mad."

"They're a team that's crumbling and we played right into their hands with that insipid pèrformance at Anfield.
Play with tempo and pace and we have a real chance of beating them."

"Players of the calibre that Liverpool sign, will relish our atmosphere, that's what generally happens when class players play in front of a full house and a white hot atmosphere.
We won't beat Liverpool, we might not even score against them, I only hope that by the time the final whistle goes Liverpool will know they have been in a game, I also hope their goal keeper has a safe to make, that would be an improvement on last week."

"We absolutely must retain possession and settle on the ball within the first 15 minutes. Too often in big games we've given up possession and sat back, offering no combinations or forward passes. Inevitably we concede and its almost impossible to go up through the gears and chase the game."

"I have no doubt Gio will go for it
In his own words “we will need to have a different approach in this game especially if we want to continue our run in Europe
We will need to get points in the 3 games we have left so we will have to have a different outlook and we have to be positive
Can we afford to be more high risk ?
You have to be brave “

"Watched them against Arsenal and although they lost the game their players have way more skill than our guys and they work very much harder to close down and move off the ball. Their ball control and first touch are also better than us.
In any sport the under dog can still win so a result is possible but highly unlikely. A draw would be OK but still leaves us to win in the remaining games.
One thing we have that they dont have is our support so with plenty of noise could that do it for us?"

Tighten up, focus from the start, control the game, quiet the crowd, score ..... ahem...

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 02:38:04 pm »
Does Thiago need a rest would be my main question for midfield? Because fuck me are we going to need him Sunday.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2022, 02:39:48 pm »
Does Thiago need a rest would be my main question for midfield? Because fuck me are we going to need him Sunday.

Definitely wouldn't start him for this one. In fact, I'd go one step further and keep him in the bubble wrap room until Sunday.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2022, 02:42:34 pm »

West Ham straight after City will be tough too despite their position. Defo asking for trouble if he does all 3 in 7 days on top of recent games but hard to rest players when we need results every game too  ;D

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2022, 02:44:28 pm »
I think this game is more important than City now.

Titles gone now either way so whatever happens Sunday doesn't mean much either way.

Tomorrow is vital to make sure we're not playing Thursday night football in the new year.

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2022, 02:49:40 pm »
I think this game is more important than City now.

Titles gone now either way so whatever happens Sunday doesn't mean much either way.

Tomorrow is vital to make sure we're not playing Thursday night football in the new year.

Pfft just drop out into the Europa league win that = qualify for next season's CL  ;) Blood new players into the system in the league.....easy this management lark.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 02:51:40 pm »
                  Alisson

Ramsay  Konate  Van Dijk  Tsimikas

Henderson   Fabinho 

Elliott

Salah                                       Jota

Nunez

Give Ramsay a start, if needs be you have Gomez available to come on at RB or failing that drop Fab to RB and bring on another CM. Give Elliott a go as a 10, he has all the tools, good short passing game, carries the ball well and isn’t scared to shoot from distance, likely link well with Nunez centrally too as he has a good eye for a through ball. Keep Jota in, play him into goalscoring form and give Bobby a rest too. Nunez needs all the time he can get and deserves a start after the Arsenal performance, reckon he’ll score after that first leg and the Arsenal match. Konate back in, we need his assured reading of the game and he seems to bring calm to our defence alongside Van Dijk. Bit of a more controlled game for Fabinho to build some much needed confidence, Henderson can spray passes from deep and give Ramsay support out on the right, his advancing with the ball allows Salah to fome inside closer to the goal too and Ramsay looks good on the ball which would also help free up Salah. If fit enough Jones or Carvalho are good options from the bench to drop in behind Nunez

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2022, 02:57:46 pm »
I'd say it's a bit too early for Ramsey, Gomez will be fresh and we can maybe give Ramsey some minutes late on if he's ready.

I'd keep Elliot out personally too, he has a habit of playing high on the right and getting in the way of Salah when he's used as an 8, I'm not convinced he won't just do the exact same as a 10. Carvalho has more experience in that role and he's shown himself to be more productive than Elliot already. Failing that, maybe keep Jota there and Carvalho can go on the left, but they can and probably will alternate anyway.

Agree with the midfield you've picked but I hope we try to be a bit more conservative with it, against Arsenal we seemed to play like we had a midfield three and ended up leaving huge gaps.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2022, 03:28:38 pm »
No way Ramsey plays.

Milner will be RB against Rangers and against City

Konate to come in for Matip

Gomez will be there to cover the CB's if we get any more injuries.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2022, 03:30:44 pm »
No way Ramsey plays.

Milner will be RB against Rangers and against City

Konate to come in for Matip

Gomez will be there to cover the CB's if we get any more injuries.

I doubt Milner will start either game, more likely Gomez and we move him into the middle if any injuries happen.

Online Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2022, 03:31:09 pm »
There were nearly as many keepers in training today as defenders so there is hardly any wiggle room in terms of selection at the back.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2022, 03:34:51 pm »

Apologies for the late match thread, I’ve not been very well for a couple of days so haven’t had chance to write something proper either.

It's a Liverpool thing...

Online Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2022, 03:37:02 pm »
I wonder if Klopp gives serious consideration to playing Fabinho at RB. He knows the position and must be a better option than Milner.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2022, 03:38:09 pm »
I wonder if Klopp gives serious consideration to playing Fabinho at RB. He knows the position and must be a better option than Milner.

Gomez and Ramsay are a better option than Milner, the National Treasure.

We saw what happens when we move midfielders into defence two years ago.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2022, 03:40:27 pm »
He doesn't have the pace and legs to get up and down to play that role, it's why his Manager at Monaco turned him into a DM.

If anything that is apparent this season is Fabinho's cannot cover the pitch like he used to.

Where are the shouts to play Carvalho as the #10, that's what i'd like to see.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2022, 03:44:09 pm »
He doesn't have the pace and legs to get up and down to play that role, it's why his Manager at Monaco turned him into a DM.

If anything that is apparent this season is Fabinho's cannot cover the pitch like he used to.

Where are the shouts to play Carvalho as the #10, that's what i'd like to see.

I'd say it's a bit too early for Ramsey, Gomez will be fresh and we can maybe give Ramsey some minutes late on if he's ready.

I'd keep Elliot out personally too, he has a habit of playing high on the right and getting in the way of Salah when he's used as an 8, I'm not convinced he won't just do the exact same as a 10. Carvalho has more experience in that role and he's shown himself to be more productive than Elliot already. Failing that, maybe keep Jota there and Carvalho can go on the left, but they can and probably will alternate anyway.

Agree with the midfield you've picked but I hope we try to be a bit more conservative with it, against Arsenal we seemed to play like we had a midfield three and ended up leaving huge gaps.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2022, 04:31:38 pm »
If we decide to do our party piece of letting in an early goal, it could end up being a long night. Rangers were abject last week, but with the wind and crowd at their backs, they're bound to fancy it.

4-0 to us, however. ;D

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2022, 05:18:41 pm »

thanks for the OP duvva and hope you are feeling much better.

Yes how about trying Fabinho at RB?
My immediate reaction is no as he is one of our slowest players and could easily have a torrid time against a speedy player.

I'd like to see some rotation for this game. Yes we need to win but we have a couple of tough games coming soon afterwards.
I'd rest Thiago (well for 30 minutes of more) and maybe play Konate instead of VVD.
I'd like to see Gomez and Konate in the centre but then I'm not sure who would play RB....maybe Ramsay.

Up front, Nunez has to start and a couple of goals would help his confidence.
I'd be tempted to rest Salah and maybe bring him on for 30 minutes.
It's a pity that Jones, Ox and Keita are not available as we could do with at east one playing.

So my team, which will not be chosen, is:

Alisson
Ramsay   Gomez   Konate   Tsimikas
     Fabinho      Henderson
              Firmino
  Elliott     Nunez     Jota
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 05:20:16 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 05:42:38 pm »
last season i would've said 4-0 to us

start of this season i would've said 3-0

a couple of weeks ago i'd had said 2-0

this week i'd say 1-0

so it'll most probably be 0-0

if our whole squad fell ill in the next 24 hours then i still couldn't see them winning though  :wave
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2022, 05:45:31 pm »
We need to rotate, dropping like flies at the moment and we’re a Mo, Thiago injury away from it being a null and void season. Gomez for Trent, Ibu for Matip are the changes at the back.

Alisson
Gomez
Ibu
VVD
Tsimikas
Hendo
Fab
Elliot
Jota
Nunez
Mo

Get some sort of lead and take the big boys off at 60 minutes.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2022, 05:49:22 pm »
Ali
Gomez
Ibou
Virg
Tsimikas
Bajetic
Hendo
Carvalho
Salah
Nunez
Jota

Can't afford to risk Thiago

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2022, 06:05:50 pm »
I just want to see us play a sensible, organized game for once this season.

We know Rangers are going to come flying out of the blocks and try and get the crowd involved early on. So it's obvious what we need to do. Dig in, match their intensity, don't concede early and quieten the crowd. And as the game goes into the deeper waters our better players and superior quality should take over.

It's no mystery.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2022, 06:14:47 pm »
Will we actually be able to go 5 minutes without conceding? Everyone knew an early goal was likely on Sunday.

It'll be a Goodison derby type match at Ibrox where you've got to play the crowd as well as the team. Their crowd will affect the game.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:16:24 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2022, 07:01:21 pm »
Does Joel have a calf strain? If so how long will he be out for?
Edit: yes he does and will miss a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 07:05:32 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2022, 07:20:10 pm »
If we can play like we did for much of the first half at the weekend we'll have too much for these. We weren't great then by any means but it was a competent performance against a decent enough team that we just didn't replicate at all in the second half. Rangers were predictably poor last week and bar two chances at the end didn't come close to scoring.

Nunez to score again and Jota to get off the mark too, 2-0.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2022, 08:53:05 pm »
Kloppo gone for that Tory meff Hamann today.

Someone in the press conference mentioned some comment Hamann made, and got the answer

"Oh great, a fantastic source. Well respected everywhere. Didi Hamann doesn't deserve for his phrase to be used...... ask your own question."

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2022, 08:55:28 pm »
Simple win will do. No stress, no mess.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2022, 08:56:37 pm »
Has all the potential for this to be a very difficult evening for us.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2022, 08:57:47 pm »
Kloppo gone for that Tory meff Hamann today.

Someone in the press conference mentioned some comment Hamann made, and got the answer

"Oh great, a fantastic source. Well respected everywhere. Didi Hamann doesn't deserve for his phrase to be used...... ask your own question."

:lmao

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2022, 08:58:08 pm »
Has all the potential for this to be a very difficult evening for us.

Just like visiting Goodison.