Author Topic: Liverpool vs Manchester City (Community Shield) - 17:00, Saturday 30th July  (Read 16228 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Liverpool vs Manchester City

17:00, Saturday 30th July
King Power Stadium, Leicester
FA Community Shield
Referee: Craig Pawson

After a slightly condensed summer break, competitive club football returns this weekend with the annual domestic curtain-raiser – Liverpool and Manchester City, key rivals during the tenures of Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola, face off in the 100th Community Shield match. Though the break between seasons inevitable ends up feeling a week or two too long, the relatively short football summer has perhaps provided a welcome break during 2022 – this is particularly true for Liverpool and their supporters, who had a particularly breathless second half of 2021-22 and ended-up playing in every competitive match they could possibly have done last year. The spring period brought a relentless run of two-match weeks, with competition on all fronts before drawing to a close amidst the tension & controversy allowed to develop in Paris.

Manchester City, as we know all too well, qualified for their place in Saturday’s season curtain-raiser courtesy of their 6th league title in eleven seasons (and 8th overall). Despite a brief early-season flirtation with the prospect of challenging from Chelsea, Liverpool really were the only true challengers to City during 2021-22 and the title-race only truly reached boiling point during the final weeks of something of a season of two halves. Going into the early January break for the FA Cup 3rd Round fixtures, City had dropped just ten points from twenty-one games and held an eight point advantage; ten successive victories through winter and into spring saw the Reds force their way back into consideration, whilst City had dropped points. The top two went into May separated by just a point, but both took ten points from their final four matches, with City claiming the title.

Having lifted the League Cup in February, reached the European Cup Semi Final, and seen off Shrewsbury Town, Cardiff City, Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, and City themselves on route to the FA Cup Final, Klopp’s side went into May with quadruple hopes still alive in the minds if supporters. At least a double was secured during the middle of the month – as with in the League Cup Final, Chelsea and Liverpool played out a 0-0 draw before the Reds came out victorious on penalties, this time courtesy of a Kostas Tsimikas winner. Liverpool would ultimately have to settled for the two trophies already bagged – City of course claimed the league title and Liverpool once again fell to defeat to Real Madrid in a European Cup Final marred by event-mismanagement & negligence, and scandalous misdirection in terms of response. Safe back in Liverpool, the players’ homecoming & trophy parade would thankfully prove more uplifting than bittersweet for the supporters in attendance.

Liverpool sit third behind only Manchester United and Arsenal in terms of their competition record, having won the Shield outright on ten occasions and shared it on a further five. The most recent victories came under Gerard Houllier in 2001 (a 2-1 victory over Manchester United, following the Reds’ famous 2000-01 cup treble) and Rafa Benitez in 2006 (a 2-1 win against Chelsea, following the memorable FA Cup win against West Ham United). City have added three recent wins to their six overall – all coming off the back of league title wins, Roberto Mancini’s City beat Chelsea 3-2 in 2012, which Guardiola’s side beat Chelsea 2-0 in 2018 and claimed a 5-4 penalty win after a 1-1 draw with Liverpool in 2019. Saturday’s represents only the second meeting of the sides in this competition, following the 2019 game between 2018-19’s top two.

For neutrals, the box-office signing of the summer was of course Manchester City’s long-expected signing of Erling Haaland. The Leeds-born son of ex-Citizen Alfe-Inge has joined City from Dortmund for a fee of £51m, and boasts a record of 115 goals in his last 116 games during his time at Dortmund and, previously, Red Bull Salzburg. City have also added English midfield Kalvin Phillips to their ranks, whilst Gabriel Jesus, Raheem Sterling, Oleksandr Zinchenko, and the influential Fernandinho represent their highest-profile departures. City have spent time in the United States during pre-season, beating Club America and Bayern Munich in Houston and Green Bay respectively.

Liverpool have of course added fire-power of their own this summer, securing the services of Uruguayan forward Darwin Nunez from Benfica for £65m – Nunez has developed a promising reputation & healthy goalscoring habit during his three seasons in Spain and Portugal and is hotly-tipped to take over the leading role for his international side from former Liverpool striker Luis Suarez. Supporters are also excited to welcome Fabio Carvalho from Fulham, following a move that was anticipated throughout much of the previous campaign – if you’ll excuse the cliché, Harvey Elliott and January-signing Luis Diaz will also feel like brand new signings to many.

Sadio Mane, who will in future be regarded as modern-day legend of the club for his time on Merseyside under Jurgen Klopp, is no doubt the highest profile player to have left this summer, whilst – completing a trio of attacking departures – Divock Origi and Takumi Minamino also leave behind them many fond memories. Promising youngster, Neco Williams also heads to Nottingham Forest will the well-wihes of everyone associated with the club. Liverpool’s pre-season campaign took them to South East Asia (where they lost 4-0 to Manchester United and beat Crystal Palace 2-0) before central European meetings with Red Bull sides Leipzig (a 5-0 win) and Salzburg (a 1-0) defeat.

Though most consider the Community Shield as something of a pseudo-competitive match, the tempered levels of tension around it generally depend upon which teams meet – a meeting between Liverpool and Manchester City seems to represent a tantalising prologue to more important battles to come. Whilst City have somewhere-between dominated or edged-out Liverpool on the domestic side of this recent rivalry, Liverpool have enjoyed the bigger days out on the European stage – the cultures of the clubs may be like chalk & cheese, but they may both glance somewhat enviously at some of the achievements & occasions of the others during recent years. As light-touch as those representing & supporting the clubs may wish to paint this game, there’s no doubt that each would take some satisfaction of gaining a nose ahead in terms of momentum prior to the start of the league season next weekend.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I imagine the team that finished the match against Salzburg will be starting. Won’t be any surprises there.

Guardiola will probably overthink it again and start a random team of defenders up front and forwards playing goal.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It's a trophy if we win and a glorified friendly if we don't.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Think City are a smidge behind us in their pre-season, so they might be a little undercooked in comparison.  Think we'll finish the game stronger than them, and that's when Nunez will be on the pitch.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

Quality OP, jackh - enjoyed reading that, nice one ;D
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Presser..a couple of minutes in.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V6xYMMmnD0Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V6xYMMmnD0Y</a>

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's a glorified friendly so not too bothered.  If we win it it would be nice to tick off the Community Shield for Kloppo and 90% of this squad, so that's a good thing.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wow!

From the match advice email we've just been sent

Pyrotechnics
There has been a rise in pyrotechnics, flares and smoke devices being brought to stadiums around the country.  It is important to highlight that these items are not only illegal inside a football stadium, but these prohibited items can also cause great harm to people. This harm includes an increased risk of Occupational Illnesses, including cancer and immediate life changing injuries.  There are also new procedures for dealing with devices, in the ground and on the pitch. One procedure will include the referee stopping the game and adding this time to the end of the half.  These stoppages will affect the team, in an adverse way. If you are found to be in possession of a pyrotechnic device, you could face arrest, prosecution and a lifetime ban from football.
+6 ticket exchange

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So outside of the cancer scare( :o) how WILL a stoppage and injury time added affect the team in an adverse way? what if we score in the 47th/93rd. They've not thought that through have they
+6 ticket exchange

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Similar to how it was at Wembley a few years ago I won't be too disappointed about the result, and to be honest I'm always a bit embarrassed when anyone claims this to be a trophy, even a minor one. It's not like winning the Super Cup which is something genuinely worth celebrating. We lost that game on pens (and the one to Arsenal next year) but fitness was the key and in the next season we carried on where we'd left off.

Just come off the pitch on Saturday leaving Fulham shit scared of what's coming their way in a weeks time.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
Great OP.
I don't see it as a friendly, as its against our biggest rivals (of recent times), so a good indicator of where we really are.
Although i don't think the "trophy" is worth a bollix...
I would still really like us to win this game.
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
A symptom of the new rules brought in cos of the pitch invasions and some fans slapping players etc from end of last season with promotions and that....
Always some tools who ruin things for everyone else...

Wow!

Pyrotechnics
There has been a rise in pyrotechnics, flares and smoke devices being brought to stadiums around the country.  It is important to highlight that these items are not only illegal inside a football stadium, but these prohibited items can also cause great harm to people. This harm includes an increased risk of Occupational Illnesses, including cancer and immediate life changing injuries.  There are also new procedures for dealing with devices, in the ground and on the pitch. One procedure will include the referee stopping the game and adding this time to the end of the half.  These stoppages will affect the team, in an adverse way. If you are found to be in possession of a pyrotechnic device, you could face arrest, prosecution and a lifetime ban from football.
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
Wow!

Pyrotechnics

No pyro no party…….. must admit I quite liked a bit of pyro, but last season I saw a couple of people get burnt from the flares because idiots were throwing them before they had fully extinguished on Anfield road before the CL semi final. Plus also the smoke bombs release hot ash and there were loads of tops/jackets that ended up with burn holes in them, I must admit that I only thought it was the flares and not smoke bombs that emitted hot ash.  I learnt my lesson by standing next to a group of people letting them off. Luckily I only had a cheap T-shirt on, but several people round me who ended up with burnt holes in their clothes all had the stone island, Canada goose, CP shite on, which I’m sure were very expensive!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
It's a trophy if we win and a glorified friendly if we don't.
I always just viewed it as the inauguration of a new season, and a nice big shiny 50p that would look nice on a mantlepiece if we won it.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Great OP.

Just win.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
No pyro no party…….. must admit I quite liked a bit of pyro, but last season I saw a couple of people get burnt from the flares because idiots were throwing them before they had fully extinguished on Anfield road before the CL semi final. Plus also the smoke bombs release hot ash and there were loads of tops/jackets that ended up with burn holes in them, I must admit that I only thought it was the flares and not smoke bombs that emitted hot ash.  I learnt my lesson by standing next to a group of people letting them off. Luckily I only had a cheap T-shirt on, but several people round me who ended up with burnt holes in their clothes all had the stone island, Canada goose, CP shite on, which I’m sure were very expensive!

Idiots will always spoil it for everyone, so it becomes a safety issue.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
I miss the days where the teams shared the shield if they drew. It's just another sad reflection on the game that sportsmanship is no longer prized. There has to be a winner and there has to be a loser.

That said, I hope we batter them. City are not our rivals. They're merely competitors.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah nah I’ll be seeing yous next weekend instead.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Throw Fabio or Harvey in with Thiago and Fabinho

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I just want them all fit enough to play on Sunday.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I agree with Klopp "If you win it, it's a very important competition but if you lose it, it becomes less important."  ;D.  Either way just hope noone gets injured. 

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
This is not a trophy it is a friendly with a shield if you win. I want us to win every game and so does Jurgen and so do the players. But i just want them to be ready for Fulham and so on...So if we loose this i honestly couldn't care less as it doesn't affect the season of challenging to win the title.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
I miss the days where the teams shared the shield if they drew. It's just another sad reflection on the game that sportsmanship is no longer prized. There has to be a winner and there has to be a loser.

Usually commentary on modern society is the exact opposite to this :/

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
It will be interesting to see who starts alongside VVD. Firmino will most likely start the game with Nunez coming on after 60mins. Nunez will do to Dias what torres did to Vidic. I think he is going to be a nightmare for defenders.

I am very surprised that city have not gone mental in the transfer market with the outgoings. Majority of their squad will be first choice players in the world cup and they will find it difficult to break down teams especially in the 2nd half of the season.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
what are the injury updates for this game?

we all know that alisson, jota, ox will be out

would prefer kelleher to start but no idea whats going on with the lad at the moment. injured? getting loaned out for game time?

interesting on how both managers would utilize the 5 subs.

oh and just fucking smash these oil c*nts and win the trophy for a positive start to the season.

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader

would prefer kelleher to start but no idea whats going on with the lad at the moment. injured? getting loaned out for game time?

oh and just fucking smash these oil c*nts and win the trophy for a positive start to the season.

I think Kostas is also out for this one.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Jackh, a high bar set for the season. Had forgotten it was so long since we won this. I have missed the dread of reading the op, seeing the ref and thinking shit. Pawson did that for me!
It seems it will be the team that finishes and interesting they are going with Haaland. All the Bobby talk suggests he will start and I do wonder when Numnez takes his place as a starter?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
It would be nice to win one of the few trophies Klopp hasn't won, I'm interested to see Nunez against top quality opposition, found his movement to be very good in pre season so lets see if its as effective against class.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
I know it's only a friendly but any chance to get one over on these c*nts is one that should be taken. A shame Ali isn't fit but hopefully he will be ok for Fulham. I guess the only positions where there could be a couple of different options would be who pairs with Virgil, who plays that right central midfield channel and Bobby or Darwin upfront.

I think he will go with Ibou, Hendo and Bobby.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the OP Jack :)

Always a weird one the Community Shield. It's a competitive game and one I want us to win but at the same time it's the one competitive game of the season I won't be that fussed about if we don't.

The thing I'm mainly looking at is how our new signings are. Not necessarily to make a judgement on them but more to see where they are and it's the best game to get an idea of that without worrying too much about the result.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Nice to win it, you don't really care if you lose it. I think it's a good sort of late pre season friendly in that sense because it moves you one step on from a normal friendly where the result is totally irrelevant to one where it's mostly irrelevant.

Looking forward to seeing the new boys get some minutes.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The LFC Prediction League kicks off tomorrow v Man City.

Predict the line up and outcome of all games LFC play throughout the season

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=352756.0

Everyone is welcome to join  :wave
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
The LFC Prediction League kicks off tomorrow v Man City.

Predict the line up and outcome of all games LFC play throughout the season

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=352756.0

Everyone is welcome to join  :wave

Going to try to last longer than February this year ;D

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Friendly my arse, i want to beat corrupted money laundering cheating c*nts!
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This game is going to be a complete farce, isn't it? Can't see Jurgen taking it seriously at all.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006

Caoimhin Kelleher has an abdominal tear that is going to take some time to heal.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan

Caoimhin Kelleher has an abdominal tear that is going to take some time to heal.

Isn't it Alisson who has the abdominal tear? Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere what the issue is with Kelleher.

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
This game is going to be a complete farce, isn't it? Can't see Jurgen taking it seriously at all.

It's far better preparation for the start of the season than a friendly. With Fulham in mind, it will be strongest side out but no risks taken with minor knocks. Expect a game with decent intensity although neither team will be at it's sharpest.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬

Kelleher won't be loaned out - he's firmly the reserve keeper.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
2 games in 2 days.

Enough for the whole squad to get some ‘game’ time

As long as we’re good for Fulham I’m happy
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.