Author Topic: Liverpool vs Wolves preview. Sunday May 22nd. KO 4pm  (Read 22703 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Liverpool vs Wolves preview. Sunday May 22nd. KO 4pm
« on: May 18, 2022, 11:31:16 am »
Premier League winners odds:
Man City 1/7, Liverpool 9/2

Match odds:
Liverpool 1/7, Draw 13/2, Wolves 14/1

The final league game of the season.

4th year in a row it has been mine, they haven’t been bad times have they? Can I do this every year?

Yes I am claiming a part of the success, look its my preview and I will claim what I want.

So then Jurgen’s mentality monsters?

What a journey it’s been. The season did start well but in January, it seemed it might be a stroll for Manchester City. Oh, ye of little faith, 14 points behind (albeit with two games in hand), Liverpool have dropped just 4 points in their last 17 games since a 2-2 draw against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in January.

This team simply doesn’t know when it is beaten, coming from behind has become a trait, indeed in all competitions we have trailed against our opponents in 4 of our last 5 games and lost none. West Hams draw with Man City last Sunday means that following wins over Aston Villa and Southampton, Liverpool go into the final day of the league season just one point behind City. It is the third time since 2014, that we have gone into the final game of the season with a chance to win the title, on both previous occasions City got over the line without too much drama, maybe this is third time lucky? We are due something dramatic, aren’t we?

On one of those occasions our opponents were Wolverhampton Wanderers, just like Sunday again. It was a match I attended in 2019 and there were similar circumstances, unfortunately I am not attending the game this time as I am on a stag, just to mention it for the sake of it, I changed my flight home from the stag as when I booked it, I completely didn’t realize this game clashed. When Man City lost 3-2 to Spurs, I couldn’t resist, who knows? It could be the best £2 I have ever spent. It was a no brainer at that cost.

The game in 2019 anyway was similar to now, us trailing by a point on the final day, one game too before we were due to compete in the Champions league final. Anfield was bathed in sunshine, and although I said there wasn’t much drama there was just that little chink of light to tease us, just as Liverpool took the lead against Wolves the crowd started to go wild. Down at Brighton you see, City were losing 1-0 early doors, the word spread and my god the ground was absolutely rocking, you could have heard us in London but ill say again there wasn’t much drama, because within a minute city were level, and it wasn’t long before they were ahead and that was pretty much that.

A lot has changed for Wolves since then compared to us, for instance if Fabinho, Mo Salah and Virgil Van Dijk were fit then Liverpool could field 10 of the team that started that day, only Gini Wijnaldum left the club in that time. Wolves on the other hand have had substantial changes, 4 of their starters that day including Diogo Jota have left the club whilst long time manager Nuno Espirito Santo left the club last summer, replaced by another Portuguese manager in Bruno Lage.

Wolves have settled into topflight football well since promotion in 2018, for the third time since then they will finish in the top half of the table. It has been an extremely patchy season for Wolves, four defeats in their opening give games and only one goal scored pointed towards a relegation battle but just three defeats in their next 16 games steered them up the table and at one stage they climbed as high as 6th. Two of their defeats were a narrow 1-0 loss against Liverpool courtesy of a very late Divock Origi goal, while one week later they were again on the wrong side of a 1-0 defeat at Man city who required a penalty to win the match, Wolves had also to play that game with 10 men following a red card for Raul Jimenez.

Six wins out of the next eight games left Wolves in a commendable 7th place, just six points off 4th with two games in hand but since then the wheels came off. Wolves have managed just three wins in the last 13 and none in the last six including a 5-1 battering at home to Man City.

Goals have been hard to come by for our visitors, an average of one per game really is poor. Raul Jimenez is the clubs top league scorer with a measly six, Jimenez has also been sent off twice (I must add its fantastic he is simply playing again following horrific head injuries he suffered last year).

Wolves generally line up with a back three. Jose Sa has had a decent season in goal although his ever-present status ended in last weeks draw with Norwich when John Ruddy was selected.

Former Liverpool player and Wolves captain Conor Coady has played every league game this season and usually partners any two of Wily Boly, Max Kilman, Nelson Semedo or Marcal.

A five-man midfield usually comprising of two wings back. Spaniard Jonny and Frenchman Rayan Ait Nouri usually occupy these roles with long time midfielders Joao Moutinho, Ruben Neves, and Leander Dendoncker in the central roles. The two striking roles will likely go to Jimenez and Pedro Neto although South Korean back up Hwang Hee-Chan did also feature in the Norwich game.

Injury wise Roman Saiss, Max Kilman and Nelson Semedo all look set to miss the trip.

For Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp rang the changes against Aston Villa following the exhausting Fa Cup triumph over Chelsea. Andy Robertson and Thiago did make the bench, but both ended up having the night off while Trent Alexander Arnold and Sadio Mane were left out altogether. Fabinho is facing a race against time to be fit for the Champions league final so is unlikely to feature here while there are doubts over both Virgil Van Dijk and Mo Salah with both players limping off in the Fa cup final. Joe Gomez is also unlikely to feature following an ankle injury picked up at Southampton.

I will finish off again by saying what an incredible season it has been. This team is such a privilege to watch and support, they never give up, they don’t know the meaning of quit, they fight like every game is their last game, they hang in when other teams would fold, they can fight, they can dig in, they can grind out results, they can defend leads, they can come from behind, they can play you off the pitch. They are just amazing, one last time at Anfield this season sing your hearts out.

Winning the title against Wolves on the last day? It has happened before

To be continued……………………

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Liverpool vs Wolves preview. Sunday May 22nd. KO 4pm
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 11:34:35 am »
If they're on the same beach Southampton were, then this will be an absolute stroll in the sunshine.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 11:37:17 am »
We're running on half-empty tanks at the moment and just need to get over the line, a 1-0 win will do just fine.

City draw 1-1, Danny Ings scores an equaliser and we win the league BTW.  8)
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 11:39:20 am »
We can't expect to win the league, but I think it's fair that we can at least expect an 8-0 drubbing right?

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 11:42:51 am »
Nice one Paul.

Whatever happens this is gonna be epic.

"To Dream, the Impossible Dream"

We cant have everything go our way but to be in with a fighting chance on the last day of the season is a success in itself.

We can only do our bit and the footballing Gods can take care of the rest (Over to you Kev, Kenny and Robbie).

Seconds out . . . Round 38.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 11:49:39 am »
Any win will do.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 11:51:24 am »
Alisson
Trent Matip VVD* (or Konate) Robertson
Keita-Henderson-Thiago
Salah* Mane Diaz

*May be bench options depending on the injury status.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 11:51:38 am »
Should be comfortable then a good celebration of the two trophies and a nice send off for Paris!

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 12:01:55 pm »
Make us dream.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 12:12:06 pm »
Two games to rule them all.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 12:20:19 pm »
I've tried to get God Save The Queen by the Pistols played on Sunday, but sadly it's a set playlist, mostly from the players btw, so my mate can't slot it in sadly, thought it would have been fun to get it played, but hey ho.

All we can do is deliver a win and then hope Villa get at least a point at the Emptyhad in front of the paid to be there by Abu Dhabi crowd. Hendo said last night its hard on the pitch when they are being made aware of the other score, so hopefully the ground doesn't erupt until the 95th minute when Villa score a last second winner
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 12:21:57 pm »
I've tried to get God Save The Queen by the Pistols played on Sunday, but sadly it's a set playlist, mostly from the players btw, so my mate can't slot it in sadly, thought it would have been fun to get it played, but hey ho.

All we can do is deliver a win and then hope Villa get at least a point at the Emptyhad in front of the paid to be there by Abu Dhabi crowd. Hendo said last night its hard on the pitch when they are being made aware of the other score, so hopefully the ground doesn't erupt until the 95th minute when Villa score a last second winner
When I was at this in 2019, the signal in ground was shocking. Wolves fans had us believing it was 2-0 to Brighton at one stage, next minute it was 1-1

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 12:41:32 pm »
It's my birthday on Sunday.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 12:44:37 pm »
The perfect last game - after Norwich and Watford (maybe) they're the worst team in the league
We should be able to go at them and rack up a score pre half time so if it is hard work at the Etihad they'll have maximum pressure on them in the second half

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 01:13:49 pm »
4-0 win to the reds along with a 3-3 draw at the Emptyhad.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 01:13:54 pm »
We have history of winning European trophies after playing Wolves in the last league game of the season, so I'm quite relaxed about whatever happens  ;D

Should be a good game/atmosphere. Another trophy on the way hopefully, before the big one in Paris. It's out of our hands and I don't expect us to win the league but we'll see.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline VictoryFor96

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 02:06:54 pm »

hope this red boys will give you a present you will never forget

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2022, 02:15:29 pm »
hope this red claret & blue boys will give you a present you will never forget

;)
Believer

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2022, 02:17:19 pm »
Just win
Get some good rhythmn before the Champions League Final

See what the other mob do, appreciate an exceptional league campaign this season in any case
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 02:24:40 pm »
Think we'll likely start with the same first 11 that will start the CL match.  The only exceptions would be if VVD and Salah aren't quite ready to play also Fab is obviously still out. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2022, 02:35:42 pm »
enjoy. Hope Liverpool and Villa make it extra special

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 02:39:08 pm »
Should be a party atmosphere regardless of what happens. The message should be to have some fun and win

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 02:57:04 pm »
enjoy. Hope Liverpool and Villa make it extra special
Cheers.  In all my 53 years this coming Sunday I don't think Liverpool were ever in a position to pick up a pot on the day itself!
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2022, 03:09:29 pm »
Thanks Paul.

If we pull it off it will be the greatest League finale for us since Wolves '76.

And the story is too perfect for it not to happen. Gerrard, Coutinho and Ings can help win it for Liverpool. Villa can also fuck up Grealish's big day.

Jurgen will win more league titles at Liverpool, but here's opening his second comes this weekend.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2022, 03:21:44 pm »
If we do somehow win it's getting a lift on a chopper to Anfield. I hope that's not our Chopper.  ;D

Premier League presentation teams to be at Man City and Liverpool with genuine trophy at Etihad Stadium.[@SamWallaceTel]

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2022, 03:27:44 pm »
Just win and see what happens at 90mins

All we can do

Think we go with the team that would be playing vs Madrid here imo as long as everyone is fit

Alisson

TAA
Konate
VVD
Robbo

Fabinho
Henderson
Thiago

Salah
Mane
Diaz

Subs: Kelleher, Matip, Tsimikas, Milner, Jones, Keita, Jota, Firmino, Origi

Origi has to be on the bench for me as it would be his last appearance at Anfield it seems like, hope he gets a good send off.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2022, 03:36:32 pm »
Cheers.  In all my 53 years this coming Sunday I don't think Liverpool were ever in a position to pick up a pot on the day itself!

Let's hope you are richly rewarded for your 53 years support, that would be very special indeed. I'd imagine a tear might be shed.

Just visualise it, Henderson bringing the PL trophy to your section of the ground. C'mon Mr Gerrard, disrupt away the City!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2022, 03:40:13 pm »
Believe.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2022, 03:41:42 pm »
After losing out to Arsenal in 89 and Abu Dhabi in 19, just once I'd like to see us nick the title off someone else for a change!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lazy Gun

• Anny Roader
  • My wife, Jurgena.
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2022, 04:01:32 pm »
I can live without a last minute Villa winner.  Much better they are 6-0 up at halftime. 
I can dream  :o
Believer

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2022, 04:56:43 pm »
All we can do is play our part - Win
If it is destined, the ManCs will not have the Aguerroooo moment this year
Doubters to Believers

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2022, 05:01:05 pm »
If their game is level at half time or after an hour it’s going to be unbearable.

That Brighton game we had that minute of hope that was (for me) pretty much extinguished as soon as they made it 1-1 and I think they were ahead before half time.

Time to be out through the wringer one more time.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2022, 05:10:40 pm »
Thanks Paul for the OP, indeed what an incredible journey it’s been.

I keep trying to tell myself that the league is probably done and everything is a bonus from here on in, but really at the back of my mind I’m thinking “well you never know, it could still happen”.

I do think we’ll do our bit and win on Sunday, and it would be fun if Villa can keep it interesting for as long as possible. Lucky to have tickets and I know it’ll be a good day whatever happens as I’ll be able to show my appreciation for this magnificent set of players, our manager and back room staff… but “well you never know, it could still happen”, maybe it’ll be a truly great day
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2022, 05:31:44 pm »

I've seen the First Division trophy paraded at Anfield at least twice, Villa in May 1980 when we won 4-1 to win the league was one occasion and Spurs in 1982 when we won 3-1.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:11:16 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2022, 07:36:07 pm »
If we do somehow win it's getting a lift on a chopper to Anfield. I hope that's not our Chopper.  ;D

Two “genuine” trophies? Is this like those “genuine fakes” in Istanbul?

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2022, 07:40:07 pm »
Just win our game and make sure we end up on 92 points. That’s all we can do. If it’s not enough then so be it. Would have been an immense effort to take it to the last game after being so far behind in Jan/Feb.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2022, 07:48:18 pm »
As long as we get the five points the scoreline doesn't matter.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2022, 07:58:08 pm »
Two “genuine” trophies? Is this like those “genuine fakes” in Istanbul?

They have the real trophy that gets presented to the Champions then taken back to FA HQ and a replica that you keep for the season, so we'll have the replica and they will have the real one.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2022, 08:27:15 pm »

I turn 31 on Sunday! Each year when the day comes, I somehow wish it would have been the 25th instead of 22nd. But winning the league on the last matchday at Anfield (non of that no crowd bullisht)... I would party do hard, I think I'd miss the start of next season being drunk somewhere ;D

I would consider selling my right nut just to have it in our hands this time, but it wasn't meant to be that way, so while I know anything can happen, I find myself almost trying to convince my mind that it won't be our day, just so the eventual disappointment of missing out on the league won't be that hard to swallow.

I think, come the end of the match, shedding a tear will be inevitable for me (soft bastard, I know..).

Regardless of what happens, this has been the most enjoyable season in my 22 years supporting this great team! I mean the last 4 years bar the last one we have been on an exceptional ride, but while the 97pts season was sensational, the pressure of possibly not winning the league (yet again!), and the fear of consequently not being able to challenge for the title for the next few years was so consuming for me. Whereas this season I have enjoyed every bit of it, watching this group of magnificient mentality monsters steamroll everyone and everything in their quest for immortality.

We are witnessing true greatness here, and we should all feel lucky and privileged to be part of the big Red family.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:31:29 pm by Jetmir M. »

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2022, 10:10:31 pm »
Stevie parks 11 players in their own box, City have 200 shots, games ends 0-0. 

Meanwhile, a proud Mourinho smiles and whispers..."he learnt that from me".
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.