Author Topic: 20 years since the 2002 World Cup - What are your memories?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I did a thread like this last year for The Premiership on ITV, but just realised that we are one month away from the media filling every single website and it’s dog with articles about this (you know it’s coming) so I thought I’d get ahead of the curve and ask on here.

For me personally, it was my first World Cup. With the first game with Senegal and France coinciding with The Queen’s jubilee celebrations so I missed the first half. You just know Gerard Houllier was watching this game very intently because of his signings afterwards.

But my favourite moments was the Dario Rodriguez goal, and the absolute meltdown for Seaman being a few yards off his line.

I think this was the World Cup of the bizarre. Roy Keane being sent home early, Canizares losing his place in goal for dropping an aftershave on his foot. And Emerson losing his Brazil place because he injured his shoulder in training by going in goal.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: 20 years since the 2002 World Cup - What are your memories?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 10:49:52 am »

sinnermichael knocked up a decent thread on the 2002 World Cup - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=250045.40

And also for these too - Spain 1982, Mexico 1986, Italy 1990, USA 1994, France 1998, Japan/South Korea 2002, and Germany 2006.

^ Fair play to sinnermichael for all those quality threads - [cough] though the lazy git still hasn't done threads for the 2010, 2014 and 2018 World Cups yet... [cough] ;)

Should be interesting to see what our memories are of this World Cup some 20 years on... for some reason I feel swearing and raised blood pressure at buying Diouf on the back of this ;D

South Korea vs Italy is an interesting look back too... FIFA, dodgy? Never!

'World Cup 2002 - All Goals':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yglrCPdk_ok" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yglrCPdk_ok</a>
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:42:31 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 11:10:23 am »
This was the one where Brazil were so dominant that they played the whole tournament with a keeper who only had one usable arm if I remember right.

Also the BBC trailer was awesome:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WrzVAE-caYw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WrzVAE-caYw</a>

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 11:17:28 am »
Robbie Keane…. Germany
YNWA

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 11:18:53 am »
2nd World Cup for me. It was my final year of high school and given the match timings I remember skipping quite a few school days to watch the latter stages of the tournament. And getting in trouble ;D

Korea's blatant cheating/corruption is the main thing I remember. And Turkey somehow getting to the semis and Rustu Recber having the tournament of his life. Ollie Kahn being stupendous throughout and then fucking up in the Final was shocking. Ballack being runner-up four times that season was pretty funny.

Then there's the obvious ones about Senegal beating France and Ronaldinho chipping Seaman. I was of course keeping an eye on Diouf and Diao and was fooled into thinking they'd actually be the missing pieces to take us from 2nd to 1st.

Fun times.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 11:42:27 am »
A magical time in Ireland.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 11:48:31 am »
Sure that rather than watching the actual game, I watched the people in the Big Brother house watch England-Nigeria at like 7am.

Worked out more entertaining in the end.
AHA!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 11:50:10 am »
Worst World Cup of my lifetime until 2010 came along.

Hated it
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 12:49:49 pm »
I’d just moved to London for my first job about a week before. The company set up a TV in one of the meeting rooms so every lunch hour we’d pop in and watch the second half of whatever game was on. For the England games that kicked off about 7.30 they laid on breakfast for everyone. Watched the Nigeria, Argentina and Brazil games there. Bit weird but better than nothing.

As for the other games, missed a lot of them. Not many memorable knockout games stand out apart from South Korea upsetting the odds.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 12:56:50 pm »
I was working nights and finished my shift in time to be able to watch the early games.

On the day of the England-Argentina game, the guy doing the day shift brought in a copy of the Daily Mirror. I had a quick look at the betting odds and England to win 1-0, Beckham to score at 40-1 stood out. I thought I'll put a tenner on that on my way to the pub.

I totally forgot to put the bet on. Penalty to England, shite, hope Beckham doesn't take it, which of course he did and scored.

Damn, there goes the £400.  :no
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 01:00:03 pm »
I was at hospital getting in grown toe nail cut out the day of the England v Brazil match. Think that was my highlight of the whole tournament apart from Rivaldo being a wee bit dramatic against Turkey.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 01:03:55 pm »
Getting made redundant right before the Germany v South Korea game. 200 of us at the same time.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 01:07:54 pm »
Alan Green on Radio 5 losing his shit over Ronaldo's "half-moon" hair cut, or whatever it was called, whenever he commentated on Brazil.

He seemed personally affronted by it. People back home working or travelling trying to listen in to find out what's going on at the world cup, and he's moaning about hair.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 01:12:17 pm »
Robbie Keane…. Germany

Close thread.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 01:16:26 pm »
We should've beaten Spain in the last 16 to set up a QF with South Korea. We'd have beaten them, then faced Germany in the semis. Having already not lost to them in the groups, we'd have beaten them then beaten Brazil in the final. Ian Harte is a twat, and I'm sure at least one of the Spain pens hit a divot and would've been saved but for it. Wankers.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 01:28:36 pm »
We should've beaten Spain in the last 16 to set up a QF with South Korea. We'd have beaten them, then faced Germany in the semis. Having already not lost to them in the groups, we'd have beaten them then beaten Brazil in the final. Ian Harte is a twat, and I'm sure at least one of the Spain pens hit a divot and would've been saved but for it. Wankers.
From what I remember we fucking dominated Spain too. Just shite at pens. Steve finnan thought a good solid lad scored his.
YNWA

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 01:34:03 pm »

For as good a team that we were, the only game we won that tournament was against Saudi Arabia.

I have fond memories of the qualifier against Iran too. Pulling a sickie off school and staying in bed to watch the BBC with us going through by the skin of our teeth. The stadium in Iran was mental, don't think there was a single away supporter.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 01:45:01 pm »
I was on a week-long bender in Dublin with a bunch of lads I worked with when the 1994 World Cup final on.

It was great and with Ireland doing well, we all supported them.

All the other World Cups since then have been abject shite.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022, 02:18:03 pm »
Damien Duff, what a player, should have been a Red. Probably would have been if not for Abramovich.

Bye Bye Roman, and Chelsea's golden era, fingers crossed  :wave
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2022, 02:22:34 pm »
Our boss at the time brought a telly into work and we were allowed to watch the games during the day. I wasn't too popular though with my "I hope England get beat" views
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2022, 02:26:27 pm »
My love of football was on the wain by then. Too much of a circus with England with Beckhams foot. Although I did support England in previous world cups, nowadays I catt stand them.

Will probably remember Rivaldo being a twat above anything else. Ronaldo also got a few goals to put whatever the fuck happened in Paris behind him.

I remember there being a telly at work for the Brazil game and I told both my bosses to shove it up their arse after they asked if I wanted to watch it, then handed my notice in for the only job id had since school.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2022, 02:38:37 pm »
I’d just moved to London for my first job about a week before. The company set up a TV in one of the meeting rooms so every lunch hour we’d pop in and watch the second half of whatever game was on. For the England games that kicked off about 7.30 they laid on breakfast for everyone. Watched the Nigeria, Argentina and Brazil games there. Bit weird but better than nothing.

As for the other games, missed a lot of them. Not many memorable knockout games stand out apart from South Korea upsetting the odds.

Similar, had just started my 2nd job on Old Hall street.  We had the England V Brazil game on in the offiice, I thought central Liverpool would be a safe place for my anyone but England stance, as the winner looped over Seamans head I realised I hadnt read the room.
They had a word with me about being a 'team player'
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2022, 02:40:40 pm »
Company I worked for then hired a bar in Manchester to host a breakfast do with clients to watch one of the England games. Hardly any came.

Being half-pissed for a whole working day after drinking about 6 pints for breakfast at said event.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2022, 02:57:52 pm »
Company I worked for then hired a bar in Manchester to host a breakfast do with clients to watch one of the England games. Hardly any came.

Being half-pissed for a whole working day after drinking about 6 pints for breakfast at said event.

Only half-pissed on 6 pints.

Kin hell!

I'd have thrown up and had the next day off due to a hangover.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2022, 03:31:04 pm »
It was mostly shit, then 2010 South Africa came along & became te worst World Cup in the modern era, although Qatar looks like surpassing it.

The early kickoffs because it was in the far east, that the late matches were 11am, midday kickoffs in the UK.

What felt like match fixing, South Korea would never get anywhere near the semis without it, check out South Korea vs Italy quarter finals for perfect example.

#Sausages

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2022, 03:31:09 pm »
Good times. A lot of the matches were on during school times. We had a science teacher who for the whole month put on the matches to watch instead of teaching us Physics. Good thing I had double science with him.  ;D

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2022, 03:44:22 pm »
From what I remember we fucking dominated Spain too. Just shite at pens. Steve finnan thought a good solid lad scored his.

I remember Mick McCarthy getting criticised at the time because he said he didn't realise Spain were down to 10 men in extra time due to an injury.

Another memory of that world cup was Ronaldinho going down clutching his face after getting hit by the ball on the leg to get the Turkish player sent off.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2022, 03:46:24 pm »
That was Rivaldo mate.  ;D

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 03:51:20 pm »
Good times. A lot of the matches were on during school times. We had a science teacher who for the whole month put on the matches to watch instead of teaching us Physics. Good thing I had double science with him.  ;D

Feel the same, I think. Remember watching a couple of matches before school and then some during break periods - felt like a bit of a fun novelty.

Germany vs Saudi Arabia at the Sapporo Dome sticks in the mind for some reason - Miroslav Klose announcing himself on the world stage. The England vs Argentina game was obviously billed as some sort of redemption journey for Beckham. Senegal entertained (and we'd signed a pair of worldies) and WC & Euros holders France bombed. Korea and Japan both had pretty respectable tournaments too didn't they? Rivaldo going down on Turkey.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2022, 04:13:54 pm »

Kin hell!

I used to work in a hotel kitchen, that was a standard start to the day for us ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2022, 04:27:05 pm »

Kin hell!

I was well-practiced at that time.

:-[
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2022, 04:28:49 pm »
I remember Mick McCarthy getting criticised at the time because he said he didn't realise Spain were down to 10 men in extra time due to an injury.

Another memory of that world cup was Ronaldinho going down clutching his face after getting hit by the ball on the leg to get the Turkish player sent off.
were there? haha I don't even remember that
YNWA

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2022, 04:29:34 pm »
Two Anders Svensson shots. The free kick against Argentina that sent us to the knockouts and then hitting the post in the golden goal against Senegal in the last 16. I genuinely think we'd gone to the semis and finished third had that one gone in.
Linudden.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2022, 04:35:43 pm »
I was a young lad at the time, but standout moments I remember include early morning football before school,  Rivaldo in the final clutching his face at the corner flag, that Ronaldinho free kick, Robbie Keane, and Roy Keane/Mick McCarthy.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2022, 04:39:37 pm »
South Korea being fucking brilliant and running their arses off. Exciting little team that.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2022, 05:28:49 pm »
That was Rivaldo mate.  ;D

I think I must've been hit in the head  ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2022, 06:01:03 pm »
Do you reckon Ronaldinho meant that? Still looks like an over hit cross to me. I know he’s was absolutely brilliant so everyone assumes he meant it but I don’t know.

Inspired another generation of lobbed Seaman from 40 yards jokes that didn’t quite work to take over from Nahum though.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2022, 10:11:20 pm »
He’s Ronaldinho and he hits a blind free kick that goes twenty yards over everyone’s head and happens to arrow right into the postage stamp.  How can he not have meant it?!

Some of the South Korean looks were outstanding.  My work had the breakfast matches on in the canteen and in one of those the Korean sub appeared sporting a ridiculous blonde feathered haircut.  A guy down the front shouted, incredulous, ”… they’ve brought on Limahl!”.  Best moment of the tournament for me.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2022, 10:12:25 pm »
Thinking that Diouf and Diao were going to be the best signings ever...

And that guy from South Korea who I think got told by his Italian club not to return after putting Italy out.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2022, 10:24:58 pm »
I can't remember anything from it other than the 5-1 thrashing we gave Germany in the qualifiers but the finals themselves..... no memory 🤷