Author Topic: Brighton & Hove Albion v Liverpool , Saturday 12th March at 12-30pm  (Read 16726 times)

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
After safely negotiating a path through to the Champions League quarter finals, we return to Premier League action on Saturday lunch time with a visit to Brighton.

It goes without saying that it really is another must win game in our pursuit of Manchester City. They play at Crystal Palace on Monday evening and a win for us here puts the ball back into City's court, and gets us back to 3 points behind.

Referee: Mike Dean. Assistants: Eddie Smart, Mark Scholes. Fourth official: Simon Hooper. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

Recent Form

Liverpool WWWWWWW

Brighton   Loss 2-1 at Newcastle
               Loss 2-0 home to Villa
               Loss 3-0 home to Burnley
               Loss 2-0 at Manchester United

They don't go into this fixture in the best of form - currently in 13th place on 33 points. No danger of relegation, but marooned in mid table which I guess Brighton are relatively happy with.

Top Scorers. Maupay 9, MacAllister 4, Trossard 4.

I must admit I was quite impressed with Brighton at Anfield earlier on in the season when they drew 2-2 after being behind 2-0

We've previously visited the Amex Stadium on 4 occasions in league matches,

2 December 2017   5 - 1   AMEX Stadium   Premier League
12 January 2019   1 - 0   AMEX Stadium   Premier League
8 July 2020   3 - 1   AMEX Stadium   Premier League
28 November 2020   1 - 1   AMEX Stadium   Premier League

So we've a half decent record there, the only blemish being a VAR inspired 1-1 draw as a result of a ridiculous penalty conceded in injury time.

LIVERPOOL....at the time of writing I'm not aware of any new injury issues with Firmino possibly still missing lacking fitness.

We have another game on the Wednesday at Arsenal so maybe our team selection will reflect that.

We may make a few changes....will Minamino get a start. I'd think Diaz will come back in. I'd not make too many . Interested in other people's views.

I'd predict a 2-0 Liverpool win.

Offline ThoroughlyMediocre

• Main Stander
Re: Brighton & Hove Albion v Liverpool , Saturday 12th March at 12-30pm
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2022, 03:20:00 pm »
Thanks BP

You're right, they are in abysmal form - but they're also unbeaten in 3 against us. Yes, the penalty at the AMEX last year was nonsense and they beat us at Anfield when we were on our own wretched run, but as you mention they also played very well against us earlier this year and could easily have won having climbed back from 2-0.

Personally, I'd bring in Diaz for Jota (or Mane if he needs a rest) and Harvey for Curtis. I'd prefer Matip to Konate, but depending on how ill the former was he may need a break.

Nervy 1-0 to us.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2022, 04:13:12 pm »
For me the law of averages says we should wallop these, unbeaten in 3 against Brighton...this liverpool team? surely cannot continue..
Any Liverpool team Klopp wants to put out should win fairly handy...0-3 Liverpool, Diaz,Mo, and fabinho (sure why not)
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2022, 04:17:02 pm »
The Anfield 2nd half vs these was a bit of an anomaly. We were 2-0 up in the first half, had a goal disallowed and then their lad scores a worldie he'll never replicate in his life right on half time. They've always struggled to score goals.

If we rediscover our clinical edge, we win comfortably. I'd expect Konate, Henderson and Diaz to all start.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2022, 10:07:58 pm »
Thanks Brain.

As you said it’s another must win. On paper we should win this but we still need to be up for it. Any drop in intensity could give Brighton confidence. Let’s kill the game by half time and rest some of our key players.

Mane and Jota need to find their form and hopefully they will.

Looking forward to seeing Diaz again as he is so much fun to watch.
#JFT97

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 12:07:02 am »
Hat-trick for Diaz this game. And maybe Salah can find his scoring boots. And I can't discount Mane, who's been in good form, and Jota scoring.

Obviously, not all of that's gonna happen, but we could use a high-scoring win after Inter and before Arse. There are lingeriung thoughts of this game being a banana skin, but I can't quite see it happening twice in a season against them. We've got to win this, we simply must win this.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 12:40:09 am »
We've looked a bit below par since the cup final. Obviously the games have been unrelenting and we have rotated a ton but still, we haven't looked good. We were ok against Norwich but shot ourselves in the foot and it became tense. We were then very lucky against West Ham, and pretty lucky against Inter (although the sending off was justified), it was still closer than it should have been.

I just hope we can start to hit our rhythm again on Saturday because they are a difficult opponent (even if they are on a bad run) and after that we have Arsenal away.

For me, Thiago has to start again. We need to get him into some kind of routine so that he is at 100% for games against Arsenal and City. Those are the games he was bought for IMO. Keita (God forgive the inevitable injury shitstorm we get from playing both of them for 2 games in a row) might be useful for this one for his ability to press in the final third with the front 3, given that Brighton love to play out from the back.

Another tough one to get through.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 01:43:39 am »
Thanks Brian, no relation to Graham I assume?

They are a good team and he is a good manager. I'm just surprised they haven't done better this season. Maybe with a bit more fire power they'd be much higher up the table. The comeback in the home game was superb, they dominated the midfield for quite a while in the second half (IIRC)

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 07:10:37 am »
Come on Redmen!!
This and Arsenal away are the two I have been worrying about for a while. Negotiate these safely and the Etihad match becomes massive.
Good news that they have dropped off quite a bit as their tactics against us at Anfield, with lots of late runners, caused us problems.
In fairness we should have blown them away early . We need good finishing on Saturday and we will be ok I reckon.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 07:43:16 am »
Must win , as is every game the remainder of the season. We owe these for Welbeck’s delayed “dive” last season. Looked a bit jaded at times in the last two games, but also played some great stuff in the same games. Jurgen will sort it, the players will sort it, and the Reds will be victorious. Only nineteen 1-0 wins on the bounce, (and a bed in Broadgreen Heart and Chest) stand between us and the quadruple. Up the Mighty Reds.
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 10:04:21 am »
We need to be brighton it

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 10:22:48 am »
Luis.....for now, just maybe look at the goal when you kick it ok, otherwise you're doing great

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 11:47:24 am »
Nervous about this one
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 11:56:07 am »
At last an away game!

Can get some rest :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 03:23:49 pm »
We need to be brighton it

Yup. Need to score a few.

Diaz to start and Minamino on Brighton early in the second half.

Offline Red_Potato

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Potato beats scissors
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 03:47:40 pm »
I hove we batter them.
SOS member 7832

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 04:30:05 pm »
Van Djik, Thiago, and Konate not in training today apparently.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 04:33:57 pm »

Thiago took some bumps on Tuesday - I bet they are being cautious (with all 3)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 04:56:21 pm »
Thiago took some bumps on Tuesday - I bet they are being cautious (with all 3)

Serves him right, shouldnt have shoved his knee into poor Alexis Sanchez studs, the cheating fuck
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 05:01:59 pm »
On the one hand they are seemingly in a funk with nothing to play for. On the other they've been consistently one of the harder teams for us to play against under Potter. I somewhat think that's due to how good they are at holding possession even if they aren't all that threatening. It's unfortunate that we can't afford any letup so regardless of circumstances we just need the 3 points here by hook or by crook. Whatever it takes to get the job done. Up the reds!

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 05:59:53 pm »
Serves him right, shouldnt have shoved his knee into poor Alexis Sanchez studs, the cheating fuck

Spot on, Not a Liverpool player.
Why was my post deleted?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 09:26:27 pm »

Hopefully caution
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 09:39:39 pm »
The Anfield 2nd half vs these was a bit of an anomaly. We were 2-0 up in the first half, had a goal disallowed and then their lad scores a worldie he'll never replicate in his life right on half time. They've always struggled to score goals.

True but we were poor. We looked nervy before the worldy and they were on top for long stretches. We started well, then completely switched off and they played through our midfield again and again. Their goals certainly weren't against the run of play, and it could have been worse. We only seemed to really have a proper go again in the last few minutes.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 10:57:18 pm »
Hopefully caution
Hopefully they don’t get yellow cards…
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2022, 12:07:00 am »
Noticed Bissouma and Maupay were on the bench for them last game.  They just needed a rest or out of form?  Surely Dan Burn has been a big loss for them as well.  Either way please just win.  No win in the previous 3 games against them is bad. 

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2022, 03:02:58 am »
I honestly have no idea who plays here considering we have Arsenal in quick turn around on Wednesday who are in better form

I think Salah, Thiago, Trent and Robbo should all get rested to be honest so Id go this with the plan to take off Fabinho and Keita as quick as we can if we are up by a bit by 60mins

Alisson

Gomez
Konate
VVD
Tsimikas

Fabinho

Henderson
Keita

Mane
Jota
Diaz

Kelleher, Matip, TAA, Robbo, Milner, Jones, Thiago, Firmino, Salah

IMO these two games make or break are run at the Title. As the next one is at Home to Watford who we should beat and then its the City game. These two games we HAVE to win to keep that pressure on.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2022, 09:15:42 am »
I honestly have no idea who plays here considering we have Arsenal in quick turn around on Wednesday who are in better form

I think Salah, Thiago, Trent and Robbo should all get rested to be honest so Id go this with the plan to take off Fabinho and Keita as quick as we can if we are up by a bit by 60mins

Alisson

Gomez
Konate
VVD
Tsimikas

Fabinho

Henderson
Keita

Mane
Jota
Diaz

Kelleher, Matip, TAA, Robbo, Milner, Jones, Thiago, Firmino, Salah

IMO these two games make or break are run at the Title. As the next one is at Home to Watford who we should beat and then its the City game. These two games we HAVE to win to keep that pressure on.

Brighton are a good side so we need strong side

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2022, 09:40:35 am »
Brighton lost their last 4 in a row and won 1 in their last 8.

No excuses not to beat these

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2022, 09:45:10 am »
Thanks for OP Brain.

These are two big games coming up, but I don’t think there’ll be too much resting or rotation. We played Tuesday and don’t play again until Weds evening then it’s the FA Cup where we’ll rotate and an international break.

We may just be playing these at the right time and although they’ve proved difficult to beat the last few occasions we should put things right this time. 3 points is the main thing and with in my view a more difficult game on Weds vital that we get the win here. Fingers crossed those who missed training will be available especially Virgil
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2022, 09:46:41 am »
Brighton lost their last 4 in a row and won 1 in their last 8.

No excuses not to beat these

There isn't, but we've dropped points against seven teams this season and they're one of them so they're not to be taken lightly.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 10:13:52 am »
Feels like a bit of a banana skin with the early kickoff. Just get the win and keep the weekend unruined.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 10:36:45 am »
Brighton   Loss 2-1 at Newcastle
               Loss 2-0 home to Villa
               Loss 3-0 home to Burnley
               Loss 2-0 at Manchester United

Hmm, don't like to see that. Obviously it's intangible and probably very marginal, but I always prefer us playing teams when they've had better results as they're less backs to the wall and more likely to accept 'we're probably not getting points off this great side'

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 11:10:27 am »
Bobby back  8)

Assume we’ve had a case or two of COVID in the squad/backroom, as Jurgen just brought it up. But no injuries.
AHA!

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 11:15:31 am »
What’s the deal with COVID cases now in regards to football?

Obviously it’s not a legal requirement to isolate now but do the prem still have their own rules on it? I’d imagine clubs would still make players isolate etc but any actual updated guidance?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2022, 11:18:49 am »
What’s the deal with COVID cases now in regards to football?

Obviously it’s not a legal requirement to isolate now but do the prem still have their own rules on it? I’d imagine clubs would still make players isolate etc but any actual updated guidance?

There’s no need to isolate but they will surely have to be careful

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2022, 11:21:06 am »
Wish we could know which of the players has Covid now as opposed to tomorrow morning to be honest
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2022, 11:28:31 am »
Wish we could know which of the players has Covid now as opposed to tomorrow morning to be honest

Thiago, Konate, VVD missed training yesterday ?

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2022, 11:28:35 am »

I’m sure the opposition would too ;)
I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2022, 11:28:46 am »

Possibly COVID then.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2022, 11:35:44 am »
Not ideal, but still field a good team:

Alisson
Trent
Matip
Gomez