Author Topic: FA Cup: Liverpool 3 v Cardiff 1 53' Jota 68' Taki 76' Elliot 80' Colwill  (Read 15093 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
                                              FA Cup 4th round, Liverpool vs Cardiff

Anfield, Sunday Feb 6tth, High Noon, The Reds and The Blues.

Referee Andy Madley
Assistant Referees Nick Hopton & Shaun Hudson
Fourth Official Geoff Eltringham
VAR Andre Marriner
AVAR Sian Massey-Ellis

Well well, Cardiff. It’s all about the managers of late. Thanks. You gave Ole Gunnar Solskjær (yes !) his break in English League Football management and we know how that ended up. Of late you’ve hosted the Barnsley Barnstormer himself, Mick Mc Carthy and held hands with Neil "Subtle" Warnock. We also beat you (after a draw actually) in the League Cup in 2012 to give our Kenny (probably) his last Cup as our manager.

Steve Morrison (Ex Milwall player) is the latest in a line of 2 prematurely grey managers, Good ol’ Mick Mc Carthy being the main man until a spectacular run of 8 defeats win a row did for him in November.
Mick seems to be getting the blame for playing a very youthful team in his (short) tenure though the policy seems to have been implemented from above. There does seem to be a change now though. They have brought in a few new players this month. All started against Forest on Saturday and two of them scored as well.
They are having a dreary season and presently sit in 20th place, 6 points above the relegation zone. Having said that they tripped up high flying Forest last weekend, 2-1 and they play bottom club Barnsley mid-week. A win and it really takes the pressure off for Anfield.Their big problem has been scoring (15 goals in 27 league matches).

It all seems a bit grim on the forums generally. Moribund. Drifting. Scrabbling along. They still have one Vincent Tan (remember him) at the helm. Changing their name to the Cardiff Dragons and their shirts from blue to red were amongst the ideas for a “new brand Cardiff” back in 2012. In fairness to the supporters they forced Tan to reverse his colour scheme after 3 seasons in the red. The man who introduced McDonald’s to his homeland in Malaysia has as yet not turned Cardiff into a force in Asia it seems. Mind you I shouldn’t be scoffing, we had Hicks and Gilette in charge around the same time and for a while it could have been the Cardiff Dragons against the Liverpool Bullwhips. All hail fan power!

Their recent flirtation with the EPL ended with one of RAWK’s favourite dartboard characters, one Colin Wanker, taking them down. Unfortunately that season will be remembered for the harrowing, untimely death of new signing, Argentinian, Emiliano Sala, in a flying accident on his way to Cardiff to be unveiled. A sad moment indeed.

We've locked horns with Cardiff at 3 different eras over our History. The 20’s where we generally came off worst. 1927 they won the FA Cup, a massive big deal in those times and 40 years before we landed the pot ourselves. To this day they are the only recognised non-english team (Not counting Abu Dhabi) to win it.
The 50’s they dominated us, 8 victories to 2. We both fell into the old second division at the end of that decade and then along came Zeus, (Shanks) and we went our separate ways.
We’ve won the last 4 league meetings with Brendan and Jurgan in charge as Cardiff twice, briefly surfaced to see how the other half live, before immediately going under again.

Their ticket allocation, 7,000 sold out fast and I think they’ll be coming up to party and sing and give it a good lash both on and off the field. It’s nothing to lose time for them. Let’s hope they do Wales proud and belt out a few of their own songs instead of the usual “scouser this and scouser that” nonsense.

As for us.

As I write this, (Monday night), both Taki and Divvie (unavailable ?) as well as Neco (gone !) are still with us. Thiago and Harvey are due back, Keita will be back while 5 of our top players are in Africa and South America. I assume none of these 5 will play, including our new Luis.

The line-up ? I think the single biggest factor for Klopp is to balance rest and rhythm. Does he use the Cardiff game to give his main players a run out or does he keep them seated and go for a “Shrewsbury” mix ? Will the likes of Kelleher, Bradley, Morton, Gordon, Woltman, Dixon-Bonner, Frauendorf and Norris get starts and minutes
I think he’ll go stronger this time. I think we’ll need minutes, rhythm, in the legs.

Kelleher from Cork, my home town, will play.

Aside, I played against his old team, Ringmahon Rangers, when I was a teen. I actually scored a rebound, from 3 yards, narrowly avoiding the cowpats in my heroic, goalhanging slide. I was probably playing against his Dad, Jesus, maybe it was his Grandad ! Anyway … Given there are 5 subs available;

Tsimikas, Konaté, Gomez and Bradley. (Maybe Virg gets a half ?)

Thiago, Keita, Morton, Hendo, Milner, Jones, Elliott (60 - 30’s)

Taki, Bobby, Jota, with a splash of Gordon ?

Should be a good, interesting mix of a team.

I’m going for a rough and tumble, noisy, 3-1 to the reds.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2022, 01:37:40 pm by Rush 82 »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FA Cup: Liverpool v Cardiff
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2022, 10:55:53 am »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2022, 11:42:49 am »
Cardiff City: Phillips, Ng, McGuinness, Flint, Denham, Bagan, Vaulks, King, Pach, Harris, Collins
Subs: Smithies, Bacuna, Hughill, Wintle, Doyle, Colwill, Semenyo, Bowen, Davies

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2022, 11:58:29 am »
We are a bit thin on the ground with commentators today, but we will do our best. The teams are coming out with YNWA being sung with bluster.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2022, 12:00:06 pm »
There is a minutes applause for the legendary former club Secretary Peter Robinson. RIP Peter.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2022, 12:01:04 pm »
0 Cardiff get the game underway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2022, 12:02:55 pm »
2 A very competitive first couple of minutes. Cardiff looking to go forward whenever they can. We will have to keep our concentration up today.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2022, 12:04:13 pm »
2 Cardiff win the ball in midfield and break really quickly they get a cross in but Kelleher catches the ball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2022, 12:05:21 pm »
3 A first proper chance for us. A nice through ball from Keita finds Jota who turns quickly and shoots but a great save by the Cardiff goalie.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2022, 12:06:32 pm »
A second look at that chance Jota should probably have done better with the chance.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2022, 12:07:40 pm »
6 The game is beginning to settle a bit more with us getting the majority of possession, but Cardiff still looking to break when they can.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2022, 12:09:47 pm »
8 We have Cardiff trapped in their half at the moment, just passing it around and quickly regaining the ball when Cardiff get a foot on it. They can't get out at the moment.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2022, 12:10:50 pm »
9 We score, but as ever the flag takes ages before going up. Bobby "scored." But it was offside.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2022, 12:12:27 pm »
11 The game is continuing in the same vein, us getting the majority of possession but Cardiff have everyone back. We are trying to use our full backs to get more space but so far Cardiff have defended well.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2022, 12:14:29 pm »
13 We put a great ball into the Cardiff area, but it's just too quick for Curtis Jones to take advantage off.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 6, 2022, 12:15:58 pm »
Isn't it some kind of incredible Liverpool have such a strong team out, Salah and Mane are away and all you are thinking is "Man, I hope Thiago, Elliott and Diaz come on soon!"

It's great to have everyone back at the right time.  :)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 6, 2022, 12:17:00 pm »
15 Jordan Henderson is down after being clattered. He is in a lot of pain at first glance. He is up just winded I think it was more the landing.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 6, 2022, 12:19:16 pm »
17 We are still trying to keep them in their area, just chasing every ball really quickly. We are still to find that final ball as of yet.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 6, 2022, 12:20:28 pm »
19 A penalty has been turned down by the ref for Cardiff, its being checked by VAR though.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #19 on: February 6, 2022, 12:20:30 pm »
Cute dive by the Cardiff player - fools no one

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 6, 2022, 12:21:22 pm »
20 We bring the ball away on the counter a great free flowing team move and ends up in a corner. The corner is cleared.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 6, 2022, 12:22:13 pm »
Cute dive by the Cardiff player - fools no one

Yes just seen it again, it was cutely done.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 6, 2022, 12:23:17 pm »
21 We get another corner on the left but Tsimikas's delivery is too deep and its cleared easily. Then we get a corner on the right a better one but Jota can't direct his header.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 6, 2022, 12:25:09 pm »
22 A shot goes in and hits a Cardiff players hand being checking once again.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 6, 2022, 12:26:49 pm »
25 The game continues, Cardiff had a great break but shot wide of the goal in the end. Now we are back in control of the ball but without really creating anything.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 6, 2022, 12:28:57 pm »
27 Liverpool get a free kick after Bobby is fouled in a good area. Trent puts it into the wall.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 6, 2022, 12:30:36 pm »
28 We had a promising move in their area, which is initially cleared but then Trent overcooks his cross in and it goes out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 6, 2022, 12:31:38 pm »
30 Then Curtis and Tsimikas combine on the left but the ball that finds Keita is hit miles over the top of the goal.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 6, 2022, 12:32:21 pm »
Seems Naby left his shooting boots back at AFCON

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 6, 2022, 12:34:28 pm »
33 The game has suddenly become a bit scrappy, passes going astray. You can tell we have yet to find our true rhythm as yet.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 6, 2022, 12:35:28 pm »
34 Then a nice move between Jota and Minamino the ball moves to Jones who can't keep his shot down.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 6, 2022, 12:36:56 pm »
35 We are at least making some chances now, the latest one involved Minamino again but the ball into Bobby is a bit wide and he can't direction the header in.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 6, 2022, 12:38:33 pm »
37 That was a smashing run by Minamino in between a number of Cardiff players, the ball goes to Curtis again but he can't control the curling shot in.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 6, 2022, 12:40:19 pm »
38 Cardiff concede a free kick after fouling Minamino. This time Trent directs the ball over the wall and the goal post.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 6, 2022, 12:42:36 pm »
41 Minamino is looking really keen today, but sadly that move with Keita breaks down. But he looks our most likely creator.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 6, 2022, 12:44:38 pm »
43 A great move with a lot of players involved especially a lovely cute pass by Jota, but it's ended by Trent's wild cross.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 6, 2022, 12:46:23 pm »
44 Another nice move is ended with Hendo shooting wide, but we are creating things its just that final ball that has been disappointing.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 6, 2022, 12:46:46 pm »
45+1 Into added on time.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 6, 2022, 12:47:24 pm »
Curtis didn't realise that he had time to check whether his boot laces were properly tied before taking the hat shot

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 6, 2022, 12:47:29 pm »
46 Half time. 0-0. We just need a bit more composure with the final shot.