Author Topic: Leeds United vs Liverpool - 16:30, Sunday 12th September  (Read 20104 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Leeds United vs Liverpool - 16:30, Sunday 12th September
« on: September 8, 2021, 09:27:11 pm »
Leeds United vs Liverpool

16:30, Sunday 12th September 2021
Elland Road, Leeds
Referee: Craig Pawson

As Liverpool prepare to visit Elland Road this weekend for just the fifth (league) match in twenty years, I’m reminded of last year’s late Diego Llorente goal for hosts Leeds United – a goal that cancelled out Sadio Mane’s half-hour opener, as well as pouring cold water on any slim optimism that supporters of the visitors had allowed to creep in following three consecutive league wins during the preceding weeks.  That trio of wins were the first consecutive trio since The Reds’ opening matches of the season, and few will need reminding of the dismal run of winter form that preceded them – after asserting their claim to top-spot with a 7-0 victory away to Crystal Place, Liverpool took just 12 points from the next fourteen league matches (three wins & three draws) and came just 6 days short of going four months without a league win at Anfield (with Burnley having ended Liverpool’s run of home league victories at 68).

Things got worse before they improved – despite the points-deficit to the top four not appearing, without context, to be insurmountable, the manner in which 2 points were dropped to Newcastle United the following weekend was, without context, unforgivable and all hope seemed abandoned.  Despite grumbles about the lack of incoming transfers during the summer of 2021, how good does it feel to be preparing to face – and as favourites – three historic European clubs in the coming months?!  Our depleted, weary, but determined team deserve great credit for the manner in which they closed out the season – claiming five consecutive wins, featuring at least one iconic moment, that helped re-cast the preceding five matches as part of a 26 points run that helped the Reds secure Champions League qualification on the final day of the campaign.

Leeds United, meanwhile, had enjoyed an excellent return to the Premier League – sat comfortably in mid-table, it had been clear for some time that relegation was of no concern whatsoever and it took until April for outside chances of European qualification to begin to dim.  Identified early on as one of the league’s most entertaining sides, the West Yorkshire side sat on a 0 goal-difference despite having only drawn three of the preceding 31 matches – all or nothing seemed to be the trend under Marco Bielsa and, despite the club’s historic ‘dirty Leeds’ reputation, the 2020-21 team seemed to enjoy a degree of popularity & admiration amongst neutrals & pundits alike.

I must admit, my memories of league matches at Elland Road are somewhat limited.  I remember the 4-3 defeat, in which Mark Viduka scored all of the hosts’ goals – this coming just months after they’d beaten us to Champions League qualification, but in a season that turned out to be highly memorable for both clubs (with Leeds reaching the Champions League semi-finals, and the Reds embarking on a five-trophy spring & summer trophy haul).  A glance at the match history reminds me of a Salif Diao 1-0 winner two years later – had we signed a young goalscoring box-to-box midfielder to partner Steven Gerrard for years to come?!  If the Viduka game had seen both clubs  on the rise, with a sense of optimism about a return to glory days, the February 2003-04 meeting found them both on the opposite side of that optimism – Liverpool limping through the latter days of the late Gerard Houllier’s reign, and a pre-firesale Leeds just months away from relegation and potential oblivion.  That game stick in my mind in particular – I’d netted a rare brace in a youth match, and my teammates & I watched Harry Kewell open the scoring (in a 2-2) draw in a country pub in mid Wales.

Whilst it’s fair to say we’ve been through it all ourselves during the years since Leeds United’s relegation, they’ve had quite the time of it themselves.  The proud Yorkshire club spent sixteen years out of the top flight (including three seasons in the third tier), and never really challenged for a return until the last two seasons – they’ve seen their own ownership changes during this period, and it’s taken fifteen permanent managerial appointments to reach Marco Bielsa, and what final appears a steady footing.  Global pandemic meant that Leeds supporters were unable to create & enjoy a celebratory Elland Road atmosphere until the final day of the 2020-21 campaign (a 3-1 victory against already-relegated West Brom, in front of 8,000 supporters), but will hope that their ferocious home-support adds an extra dimension to the distinctive experience of facing their team during the season ahead.

After a successful return season that seemed at once entirely expected and yet also the absolute best that Leeds supporters could have hoped for, the early weeks of their second campaign suggest that they might be in for a slightly tougher time of it this time round – they were competing with Man United on the opening day, until their hosts put in something of a determined statement-performance in the second half, and will likely have mixed feelings about draws with Everton and Burnley (two clubs with reputations – regardless of our own feelings – of being difficult to beat).  A glance at the fixture list suggests October could be the month in which Leeds kick-start their campaign, with games against Watford, Southampton, Wolves, and Norwich – they’ll be keen to maintain some confidence and come out of the preceding trio (against Liverpool, Newcastle, and West Ham) relatively unscathed.

As for ourselves, we got pretty-much what we wanted out of the opening pair against Norwich and Burnley, and – in my opinion – should feel at-worst frustrated by the draw against Chelsea last time out.  I’d said beforehand that I’d be disappointed with a point on the day but happy with it by Monday, particularly if we went on and did the business in the three matches before the Man City game at the beginning of October; I pretty much adhered to that, despite the red-card at the halfway point perhaps enhancing our opportunity for an early statement-victory.  Liverpool aren’t exactly being written out of the 2021-22 title race by the mainstream pundits – more so not being written in – but continuing to put points on the board before hosting City will be both key to supporters’ confidence off the back of a quiet transfer window, as well as to the approach of our opponents throughout the season after our infallibility slipped away last season.

At the time of writing, and following the protestations of the CBA and FIFA, it remains to be seen as to whether Rafinha, Alisson, Fabinho, and Roberto Firmino will be available for their sides – key players, all.  Naby, meanwhile…well.  I’ll leave the team-selection chat and the potential ramifications of those factors in the capable/culpable hands of you RAWKites...

Cheers also for the patience - was waiting for all this round of internationals to come to a close.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Re: Leeds United vs Liverpool - 16:30, Sunday 12th September
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2021, 09:47:27 pm »
Full list of officials:

Referee: Craig Pawson.
Assistants: Lee Betts, Richard West.
Fourth official: Andy Madley.
VAR: Darren England.
Assistant VAR: Peter Kirkup.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 8, 2021, 10:13:09 pm »
Will be a really tough game. I know we were on our backside with centrebacks, but that second half last season we were outplayed, after outplaying them in the first half.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2021, 10:14:32 pm »
We will probably need to use the bench well or have a good lead into the last 15 mins.

Leeds fitness levels are very high. No Raphinha most likely is a bonus

The away game last season our play in the final third was very poor needs to be better sunday

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 8, 2021, 10:35:41 pm »
Will be a really tough game. I know we were on our backside with centrebacks, but that second half last season we were outplayed, after outplaying them in the first half.

Well being on our backside with our centerbacks is why we were largely outplayed in the 2nd half.  The ability to push up high the field with centerbacks who aren't afraid to be on the ball, and have pace, and in the process pinning them back into their half, and having the ability to spray 50 yard passes from said position, helps tremendously. It's not about just the defending aspect.

We're also a much more confident side

Online CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 8, 2021, 10:42:03 pm »
Could be any score this one. Would be a very nice 3 points after the ' disappointment of not putting Chelsea to bed' on our last outing
Games will start coming thick and fast and we need to keep in the hunt

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 8, 2021, 10:44:58 pm »

Give the Brazilian players a moustache.  No-one will ever know. 

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 8, 2021, 10:46:12 pm »
We will probably need to use the bench well or have a good lead into the last 15 mins.

Leeds fitness levels are very high. No Raphinha most likely is a bonus

The away game last season our play in the final third was very poor needs to be better sunday

No Allisson, Fabinho and Firmino hurts us though if their bans are upheld, although Bobby likely not fit anywa.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #8 on: September 8, 2021, 10:52:42 pm »
No Allisson, Fabinho and Firmino hurts us though if their bans are upheld, although Bobby likely not fit anywa.

If we are to win the League though then City are likely to be the team we need to finish ahead of. Given they will be playing Leicester with Scott Carson in goal and no Jesus. Then it might work out okay. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 8, 2021, 11:00:48 pm »

Firmino wasn't going to play anyway. We have henderson to replace fabinho, but Becker is always a miss, even though Khelehrer is a solid keeper.

We got more than enough quality.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2021, 12:22:08 am »
The players should not be banned, that is wrong. If FIFA has a problem, take it out with the authorities in England, going right up to the government if they like, for designating some countries as red zones and demanding a quarantine period.

They will rightly get short shrift.

Let the players play.

As for the game, I can’t wait. Leeds are an exciting side and always show up to play. We should have too much for them, but we will need to do our job.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 9, 2021, 12:26:45 am »
Bring it on!
Believer

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 9, 2021, 04:44:56 am »
Thanks Jack. That’s a great write up.
I’ve really enjoyed watching Bielsa’s Leeds.
You only had to watch their game against Burnley to understand the bias against foreign managers in England. All the pundits laud Dyche as someone that could do a job at a bigger club - maybe England eventually - and yet only 1 manager in that game was interested in playing football and creating goals  rather than injuring opposition players and nicking a goal from a corner
 Bielsa is one of the best things to happy to the premier league. I hope Leeds do well again this season.
Regarding us I think control of midfield for 90 minutes against the supremely fit Leeds is going to be difficult. You’d think Henderson and Tiago to start but can either go for 90 mins against this lot?
I think  need 2 goals to win it
Come on you mighty red
PS we all fuckin’ hate Leeds PS ;D

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 9, 2021, 08:04:54 am »
If we are to win the League though then City are likely to be the team we need to finish ahead of. Given they will be playing Leicester with Scott Carson in goal and no Jesus. Then it might work out okay. 
Are you suggesting with Carson in goal City need a miracle and will struggle to produce one without Jesus ?
« Last Edit: September 9, 2021, 08:30:36 am by Anfield Kopite »

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #14 on: September 9, 2021, 08:36:33 am »
Watched them against Man United and they were shit!

4-0 Liverpool  :scarf

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #15 on: September 9, 2021, 08:54:11 am »
Average players really well coached leads to a really weird mix of brilliance and absolute rubbish. This is reflected in their shorelines which often go from one extreme to the other.

I don't think they can defend so goals are on offer for this one.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #16 on: September 9, 2021, 09:07:42 am »
They're usually quite open, but that's because they have a lot of third man runs off the ball, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them break our defensive line a few times.  Having our main centre halves back in the team will make a big difference.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #17 on: September 9, 2021, 09:13:40 am »
Average players really well coached leads to a really weird mix of brilliance and absolute rubbish. This is reflected in their shorelines which often go from one extreme to the other.

Agreed, they attack in waves, it could get choppy

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #18 on: September 9, 2021, 10:29:23 am »
Thanks Jack for taking us down memory lane.

Leeds need to win the game as they have started poorly so I expect them to fight for every ball.

We should have too much class but we do need to stick the ball into the net; we huffed and puffed a lot against Chelsea. Our right side was very poor that game and we need Mane and Robertson (or Tsimikas) to play well.
#JFT97

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 9, 2021, 10:56:22 am »
Great OP, it's got me really fired up for this one.

Absolutely no idea what to expect - Leeds are as likely to be terrible as brilliant. We need to play our own game and believe we're good enough to overcome whatever they throw at us.

The players should not be banned, that is wrong. If FIFA has a problem, take it out with the authorities in England, going right up to the government if they like, for designating some countries as red zones and demanding a quarantine period.

Not just the UK government but the Brazilian government too - we're on their red list. And given what happened in the Brazil-Argentina game, we were clearly right not to let them go.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #20 on: September 9, 2021, 11:07:40 am »
The ineptitude of FIFA knows no bounds. I can't see how this ban can be enforced. Their rules promise that players will be returned to their clubs within 2 days after the final game, but thats not possible with a quarantine requirement by the government.

I like the line in the Guardian article (for ref: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/08/premier-league-clubs-plan-to-select-brazilians-despite-fifa-sanctions-threat-liverpool-manchester-city-united-leeds-chelsea);
Fifa, who could impose the forfeit of a 3-0 defeat on teams who ignore the five-day ruling and field ineligible players.

How does that work? We win 3-0 and so do Leeds :)

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 9, 2021, 11:10:55 am »

Let's hope that their defenders are all at sea for this one

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #22 on: September 9, 2021, 11:25:59 am »
Let's hope that their defenders are all at sea for this one

I sea what you did there
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #23 on: September 9, 2021, 11:27:59 am »

I sea what you did there, also.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #24 on: September 9, 2021, 12:42:18 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Great read in the op thanks. Had a few visits to Elland Rd over the years and seen us be fairly successful.
Bit of a mad situation we are in with Brazil and Guinea situation. This makes team selection difficult so I will pass on that. I do not think they have started that well this year so as long as our squad are firing by Sunday I am hopeful of a win.
Their energetic man marking is always a challenge but can cause them problems if we play into the space well.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 9, 2021, 12:46:01 pm »
We'll score more than them

Online William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: September 9, 2021, 01:05:05 pm »
Did VVD play 2 international games?  Anyone think Klopp rests him this game?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 9, 2021, 01:10:30 pm »
This is not one that I am looking forward to (an exceptionally difficult opponent who have had a quietly poor start to the season and possibly have a bit of a point to prove) but it is the sort of match that we will need to win if we want to finish at the top of the table in May.

Bit weird, it's Leeds away, it's a great game. Can't wait for this.

The FA Cup 2-0 was one of the best days ever and I'm still not sure any away celebrations have matched it since though some have got mighty close.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 9, 2021, 01:15:05 pm »
Let's disguise our Brazilians as academy players and pretend we've giving first team debuts to Allie Son & Phil Beano.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #29 on: September 9, 2021, 01:57:26 pm »
I sea what you did there
I sea what you did there, also.
:duh

Gut me like a fish, why don't you...knot funny.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 9, 2021, 02:00:01 pm »

Ignore them. Pair of anchors.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 9, 2021, 02:05:52 pm »

You need to just go with the tide of opinion.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #32 on: September 9, 2021, 04:16:22 pm »
Should be an entertaining game in which both sides play good football, but our defence is far better than theirs, and they've not had a very good start to the season. They were embarrassing against United and couldn't beat Everton at home. Fancy another Jota goal, to be honest. Must test their keeper as he's very dodgy at times. Just fucking win.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online red number 9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Moses said "come forth" but we came first
« Reply #33 on: September 9, 2021, 04:32:46 pm »
The FA Cup 2-0 was one of the best days ever and I'm still not sure any away celebrations have matched it since though some have got mighty close.

They still occasionally use the footage of the celebrations in our end from a wide camera view covering our end on Sky. Cracking away end that was.

Took a lot of skin off my shins that day. 😄

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #34 on: September 9, 2021, 04:46:29 pm »
Origi could get some game time the weekend with Bobby and Minamino injured!

0-0 after 90 mins and on comes Origi with a diving header into the back of the net!  ;D

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #35 on: September 9, 2021, 05:51:33 pm »
1-3 to us.... maybe 2-3... I think Alisson is such a big miss, but Kelleher is very good for a young keeper. hopefully he wont need to do much.
Can the midfield stay solid?
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #36 on: September 9, 2021, 06:14:03 pm »
Origi could get some game time the weekend with Bobby and Minamino injured!

0-0 after 90 mins and on comes Origi with a diving header into the back of the net!  ;D

Or....
 Origi comes on, plays left wing for the last 1 minute and 23 seconds, touches the ball once, accidentally like, while tying his shoelaces.
Final whistle,  score exactly what it was before he got onto the pitch.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #37 on: September 9, 2021, 06:16:11 pm »

Sorry, can't help it.
It's what I was taught at school.
A school of fish, you sea...

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #38 on: September 9, 2021, 06:17:30 pm »
Alisson should be fine to play.
Just needs a new disguise, different set of false moustaches,  maybe a nice 70s hairdo.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 9, 2021, 06:33:11 pm »
Definite banana skin potential here, especially in front of a full Elland Road and if we’re firing blanks out wide and up front again. Should be much more open than the Chelsea bus parking demonstration though.

Like to see an old school class act like Bielsa do well. Just not on Sunday.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg