Author Topic: The FA Cup.  (Read 19536 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
The FA Cup.
« on: May 15, 2021, 04:08:22 pm »
I don't normally start threads, but something rather sad struck me today.

I genuinely didn't know that it was FA Cup Final day today until I read it in the morning paper. OK, I have reigned in my football viewing and football media watching in to the extent that I only really bother watching highlights of our games now then I switch off. VAR and desperately poor officiating have killed live games for me. Yet, I don't live in a bubble with my eyes and ears shut either.

When I was growing up the FA Cup was magical. You looked forward to the final for a long time in advance, even if your club wasn't playing in it. The build-up was immense and quite thrilling. It really, really meant something. Even though the old Empire Stadium was a shithole, getting there was the Holy Grail. I know the appeal has been on the wane since maybe the 90s, but I think this might be the first year I didn't even realise what day/date the final was on or who was playing in it.

I know there are so many contributing reasons why the FA Cup has lost its way and its status, but it's still sad. There isn't even an FA Cup Final thread on here, and that says a lot.

Younger people may not feel the loss, but as an older fella I find it quite sad to see what has become of this once magical trophy, which has provided so many fantastic memories, the occasional heartbreak and some epic fan experiences.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 04:11:21 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The FA Cup.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 04:12:37 pm »
Nice post, SoS. I'm a younger poster but I still love the Cup; one of my first Liverpool memories was the 'Michael Owen final', and of course we had the Stevie G final 5 years later. I can't turn my back on that.

It's especially sad as this year is the 150th anniversary of the FA Cup starting. Wanderers went on to beat Royal Engineers 1-0 in the final in 1872, and remain to this day one of only two teams to have won the trophy 3 years in a row (the other being Blackburn Rovers). So much history in the competition that a lot of people simply do not appreciate.

As for today, come on the Foxes! 

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 04:14:16 pm »
Also, the FA themselves are a lot to blame. For starters, the final should not be on the same day as league games; it should be the final game of the domestic season.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 04:18:28 pm »
Used to be an all day affair when i started watching the finals.

Seemed to be a big build up in the mornings, then interviews with the players on the coach, then the pre match in the stadium that built up the excitement.

Maybe when i was watching it was highlighted more with the European ban so it elevated the FA Cup, i have no clue what it was like prior.

FA ruined it as well with the semi finals at Wembley as well.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 04:19:16 pm »
Nice post, SoS. I'm a younger poster but I still love the Cup; one of my first Liverpool memories was the 'Michael Owen final', and of course we had the Stevie G final 5 years later. I can't turn my back on that.

It's especially sad as this year is the 150th anniversary of the FA Cup starting. Wanderers went on to beat Royal Engineers 1-0 in the final in 1872, and remain to this day one of only two teams to have won the trophy 3 years in a row (the other being Blackburn Rovers). So much history in the competition that a lot of people simply do not appreciate.

As for today, come on the Foxes!
Now I know who's actually playing in the final, I'm rooting for Leicester too. I have no thoughts on them one way or the other really, but I'd like to see Brendan lift the cup, especially at the oil club's expense.

Talking of past finals, the 1-2 defeat to Arsenal in '71 was, I think, the first and only game that made me cry. I was just a kid, but it really hurt. I hated Charlie George and his celebration for years after that. Trouncing Newcastle in '74 made up for it though.  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 04:20:21 pm »
Also, the FA themselves are a lot to blame. For starters, the final should not be on the same day as league games; it should be the final game of the domestic season.
Absolutely.

Semis at Wembley also dilutes the grandeur of the whole thing too.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 04:21:12 pm »
Stopped watching football after the derby game. Now I just check results. Much easier. I couldn't tell you who was in the FA cup final if my life depended on it.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 04:21:28 pm »
Loved it, still love it, gutted we are not in the final.
Cant wait to get back there again.
Come on Leicester!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 04:22:57 pm »
Hope they mention a few more times that Lineker is a Leicester fan. Jesus wept.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 04:24:52 pm »
Used to be an all day affair when i started watching the finals.

Seemed to be a big build up in the mornings, then interviews with the players on the coach, then the pre match in the stadium that built up the excitement.

Maybe when i was watching it was highlighted more with the European ban so it elevated the FA Cup, i have no clue what it was like prior.

FA ruined it as well with the semi finals at Wembley as well.
Yep, it was always an all-day thing when I started watching at the start of the 70s.

The team coaches driving to the ground in a sea of fans before the game. All the pomp and ceremony.

If your team was in the final you'd be crapping yourself the night before, but full of hope and excitement too. If your team wasn't in it, you could sit back and enjoy the game knowing you didn't have to worry about being heartbroken afterwards. The whole thing was a big occasion across the country, and not just about the finalists.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 04:25:52 pm »
There are plenty of reasons for its demise, but there are two I feel are key. Until 1983 it was the only club match to be televised live, which gave it a novelty value that justified the six-hour pre-match build-up on the BBC. This diminished as live TV league games were introduced, then gradually increased in number. This made the FA Cup final less of a national event and more one for the participating clubs.
Secondly there was the admission of non-champions into the Champions League (in 1996 I think). A high league placing quickly became more important than cup glory, which has led to clubs routinely fielding weakened sides and a rapid devaluation of the competition.
There are other factors: semi-finals at Wembley and it no longer being the conclusion of the season have detracted from the occasion of the final.
It's a shame, but times change and we'll always have those childhood memories.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 04:25:53 pm »

Unusual circumstances this year, though.  I imagine the league would usually be finishing this weekend, and the FA Cup Final would take place next Saturday.  They did have a few years (certainly for 2001 & 2012) when the Final was the penultimate weekend of the season, but I think they corrected that at some point.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 04:28:29 pm »
Same here SoS (in that I didn't know it was the FA Cup Final either) - and was surprised to see it sandwiched between 3 Premier League games today.

I even had took up the two teams playing and kick off time; Chelsea vs Leicester, a 5.15pm ko. I wonder what the UK TV viewing figures are like since it was moved from 3pm to 5.15pm? (back in 2012?)

2011 had a 3pm kick off - www.theguardian.com/football/2011/may/14/fa-cup-final-manchester-city-stoke

2012 Us vs Chelsea was 5.15pm ko  - www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-fans-blast-515pm-kick-off-3306128

2013 a 5.15pm ko too (and likely since?) - www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/16/fa-cup-final-late-kick-off

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2021 FA Cup Final is live on UK TV on BBC1, BBC iPlayer, and BT Sport 1 (a 5.15pm kick off) - www.live-footballontv.com/live-fa-cup-football-on-tv.html

BBC iPlayer link (UK only - unless using a VPN?) - www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09h5vxm/the-fa-cup-202021-fa-cup-channel

TV stations around the world showing the FA Cup Final live (+ great for IPTV etc) - www.livesoccertv.com/match/3984934/chelsea-vs-leicester-city

60+ Streams - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.0 (in the 'Some useful info for following the football + TV, Streams, & Highlights info' thread)

Chelsea XI: Kepa - Azpilicueta, Thiago Silva, Rudiger - James, Kante, Jorginho, Alonso - Ziyech, Mount, Werner.
Subs: Pulisic, Zouma, Mendy, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi, Chilwell, Gilmour, Havertz, Emerson Palmieri.

Leicester XI: Schmeichel - Castagne, Soyuncu, Evans, Fofana, Thomas - Ndidi, Tielemans, Perez - Iheanacho, Vardy.
Subs: Morgan, Maddison, Albrighton, Ward, Amartey, Choudhury, Ricardo Pereira, Mendy, Praet.

www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup : https://twitter.com/EmiratesFACup : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Cup : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_FA_Cup_Final

21,000 fans will be at the Final - www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/15/how-many-fans-are-at-the-fa-cup-final-leicester-vs-chelsea-sees-spectators-return-to-wembley

Betting Odds: www.oddschecker.com/football/english/fa-cup/chelsea-v-leicester/winner : Chelsea 8/7 : Leicester 7/2 : Draw 30/13.

Full Match Replay & Highlights - www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2021/05/15/chelsea-vs-leicester-city-highlights-full-match-2

& https://hdmatches.net/2021/05/15/video-chelsea-vs-leicester-city-highlights-full-match-15-may-2021

& https://old.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/comments/nd277v/chelsea_vs_leicester_city_fa_cup_15may2021

BBC Match Of The Day is on BBC1 at 11.20pm tonight (after the Premier League MOTD - which starts at 10.20pm).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:51:40 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 04:29:37 pm »
2012 was also the last Final I watched
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 04:31:31 pm »
Now I know who's actually playing in the final, I'm rooting for Leicester too. I have no thoughts on them one way or the other really, but I'd like to see Brendan lift the cup, especially at the oil club's expense.

Talking of past finals, the 1-2 defeat to Arsenal in '71 was, I think, the first and only game that made me cry. I was just a kid, but it really hurt. I hated Charlie George and his celebration for years after that. Trouncing Newcastle in '74 made up for it though.  8)
For sure, there's plenty of pain with this competition too. The 2012 final still winds me up, especially after Andy Carroll came on and was basically unplayable for 20 minutes. ;D We've had some really tame exits in recent years for one reason or another - 2015, 2017, 2018 spring to mind the most - and I hope we can make a better fist of it next year with supporters back in the stadiums.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 04:36:24 pm »
Nice one SoS, it is still magical mate, I genuinely think people have just decided to be miserable about it. Today would be magnificent if we were in it, I'm so envious.

And I'm loving these two posts.
Loved it, still love it, gutted we are not in the final.
Cant wait to get back there again.
Come on Leicester!

FUCKING COME ON BRENDAN LAD, WIN THE FA CUP.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 04:37:14 pm »
For sure, there's plenty of pain with this competition too. The 2012 final still winds me up, especially after Andy Carroll came on and was basically unplayable for 20 minutes. ;D We've had some really tame exits in recent years for one reason or another - 2015, 2017, 2018 spring to mind the most - and I hope we can make a better fist of it next year with supporters back in the stadiums.

Andy scored v Chelsea and we were robbed.  I was in line with the goal line and saw the ball cross the line. The Lino was running back to get in position but was still up the pitch by 5 yards or more and..imho..guessed. Another decision against us..lol. We'd have went on to win that.

Edit:

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2012/05/05/video-andy-carroll-disallowed-goal-vs-chelsea-fa-cup-final-2012-petr-cech-save/comment-page-1/

If you watch until the end you can see the lino 8 yards up the pitch when Suarez sends the ball for Andy to head in. The camera angle for the goal is still up the pitch a bit and not in line with the goal line.

I still stand by my statement..it was a goal.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 04:49:29 pm by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2021, 04:38:34 pm »
I would like to see Brendan win this, anything but Chelsea win something else.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2021, 04:40:02 pm »
Don’t see it , but rooting  for Leicester to win

Offline Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2021, 04:47:52 pm »
Look at these winners from the first 12 years of the competition :D

1871-72: Wanderers
1872-73: Wanderers
1873-74: Oxford University
1874-75: Royal Engineers
1875-76: Wanderers
1876-77: Wanderers
1877-78: Wanderers
1878-79: Old Etonians
1879-80: Clapham Rovers
1880-81: Old Carthusians
1881-82: Old Etonians
1882-83: Blackburn Olympic

Olympic were the first professional (and northern!) team to win it in 1883, ending the dominance of the southern old boys teams, and no amateur team has won it since. 

After 1883, Blackburn Rovers won it 3 years in a row, and since then all the winners have been familiar names, with Tottenham Hotspur being the last non-league team to win the Cup in 1901.

That Royal Engineers team is said to be the first in England to focus on passing rather than dribbling as the main means of moving the ball - pioneers of football as we know it today.

Doing some digging, and Wanderers dissolved in 1887 but have a phoenix club formed in 2009. Oxford University, Royal Engineers, Old Etonians and Old Carthusians are still going but I don't think enter the FA Cup any more. Clapham Rovers and Blackburn Olympic are defunct.

God I love this trophy and I really want Leicester to become the 44th club to lift it.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 04:48:01 pm »
Perez starting ahead of Maddison is a puzzler. I know that Maddison hasn't been great after his last injury, but Perez has gone less than nothing this season.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 04:56:57 pm »
Yep, it was always an all-day thing when I started watching at the start of the 70s.

The team coaches driving to the ground in a sea of fans before the game. All the pomp and ceremony.

If your team was in the final you'd be crapping yourself the night before, but full of hope and excitement too. If your team wasn't in it, you could sit back and enjoy the game knowing you didn't have to worry about being heartbroken afterwards. The whole thing was a big occasion across the country, and not just about the finalists.
I think 1987 was the best final i saw as a neutral, and 1991 not far behind when Gazza did his knee injury early.

The finals i've seen us in have all been nerve wracking affairs, never enjoyed watching the games, as we never blew away a team in the final, even 1992 against Sunderland who were in the old 2nd division was a nervy affair, the semi final games with Portsmouth that year as well were not good for the nerves.

And Giant killing just doesn't have the same gravitas anymore, most PL teams play weakened teams so when they get knocked out it barely registers, I remember Sutton United knocking out Coventry which was huge national news, and Wrexham knocking out Arsenal in the early rounds which was seismic, Cambridge United had a few big scalps one season as well with Dion Dublin making his name that season.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 04:59:10 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 04:57:12 pm »
Perez starting ahead of Maddison is a puzzler. I know that Maddison hasn't been great after his last injury, but Perez has gone less than nothing this season.
I must admit I've barely watched football this season (empty stadiums), and no games Liverpool are not in - but I'm watching this one. Do you think Leicester have much of a chance? I think Brendan's done really well on the whole, but they just seem to lack something in the crucial moments (should've wrapped up 4th last season, should've done it by now this season, poor in the Europa League, etc). A bit like Tottenham. :D

Offline Norse Red

• Kopite
  • Forever Red!
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 05:00:56 pm »
At least it won't be another Arsenal win. Sick of them winning it like four times in six years.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 05:03:59 pm »
I used to remember better times as a kid when there was not so much football on TV and the Cup Final was an all day event on Grandstand with Des. Just does not feel the same now sadly.

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 05:05:45 pm »
uesd to start friday night with "who'll win the cup " and quizzball cup final special

then on the sat it was cup final breakfast from the teams hotels

jumpers for goalposts etc

great days - remember being glued to the the tv all day in 1965

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 05:09:05 pm »
At least it won't be another Arsenal win. Sick of them winning it like four times in six years.

I would sooner have had them winning it than Chelsea, if not us.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 05:10:36 pm »
Are they going for a world record for the amount of pre-march dicking around or something?

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2021, 05:11:13 pm »
Would be delighted for Brendan if he wins this.

Offline Norse Red

• Kopite
  • Forever Red!
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2021, 05:11:32 pm »
I would sooner have had them winning it than Chelsea, if not us.
Yes, but lets hope for a Leicester win here, and Brendan's first thropy.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2021, 05:12:28 pm »
Ha ha ha ha ha ha

#EDIT : I honestly thought this was City v Chelsea

========================

Arf

Come on LEICESTER!!!!!  Though if Chelsea win it then fair play.

But I'm still watching it. I've got some good friends that are Chelsea fans and they are good people.

This is the FA Cup final. Anyone saying that they aren't arsed whether we're in it or not I treat with a bit of suspicion. Fair play if you don't go, but I want us to be in all the finals ever year.

In 2001 winning the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League final in one season and going to all three games  was an amazing experience.

When I've argued that that's an achievement in 'real life' with people then it's easy to judge people that think it's micky mouse or shite - the fact is that people that think like that don't go to the games. They have no idea what a cup final is like and they are just gloryhunting plastics.

Getting to the final for any competition would be amazing. I admit that I have gone 'meh meh meh' myself online sometimes - but let's be fair - we all chat shite in the interweb at times - especially when trolling opposition fans.

Stop being miserable, get some ale in you, have a cheeky curry and hope to see a good game of footy. If this got binned then you'd miss it. What do we want? Soulless never-ending league games and nothing else?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 05:16:37 pm by Camping in a pub in Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2021, 05:13:25 pm »
C'mon Brendan!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2021, 05:13:54 pm »
Yes, but lets hope for a Leicester win here, and Brendan's first thropy.

I can agree to that.  ;D

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2021, 05:15:16 pm »
Hope this is a decent game, i.e. at the very least not one that Chelsea run away with.

Come on Leicester. Win today, knock lumps out of each other on Tuesday and then hopefully Chelsea will make up for the disappointment in some game that is apparently happening in Portugal in a couple of weeks that nobody will be watching.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2021, 05:15:44 pm »
Vardy, Schmeichel and Soyuncu to have stormers.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2021, 05:15:52 pm »
I don't normally start threads, but something rather sad struck me today.

I genuinely didn't know that it was FA Cup Final day today until I read it in the morning paper. OK, I have reigned in my football viewing and football media watching in to the extent that I only really bother watching highlights of our games now then I switch off. VAR and desperately poor officiating have killed live games for me. Yet, I don't live in a bubble with my eyes and ears shut either.

When I was growing up the FA Cup was magical. You looked forward to the final for a long time in advance, even if your club wasn't playing in it. The build-up was immense and quite thrilling. It really, really meant something. Even though the old Empire Stadium was a shithole, getting there was the Holy Grail. I know the appeal has been on the wane since maybe the 90s, but I think this might be the first year I didn't even realise what day/date the final was on or who was playing in it.

I know there are so many contributing reasons why the FA Cup has lost its way and its status, but it's still sad. There isn't even an FA Cup Final thread on here, and that says a lot.

Younger people may not feel the loss, but as an older fella I find it quite sad to see what has become of this once magical trophy, which has provided so many fantastic memories, the occasional heartbreak and some epic fan experiences.

I think we may be a similar age, Cup finals in the 70s were great (well apart from 77!)
The build up in the morning on TV, running out and playing with your mates after it had finished. Great memories.

Sadly the financial drivers of football have relegated this to just another cup.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2021, 05:16:36 pm »
Just hope this thropy doesn't go to pelanties.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2021, 05:16:54 pm »
It's nice to sit down and watch a game with fans. I obviously want Leicester to win this but hope its a good, entertaining game.

Also, is that Chelseas new kit for next season?
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2021, 05:17:13 pm »

You can get some cream for those thropy's
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2021, 05:17:43 pm »
I do. Knacker both these teams out for the run in!
"Salahs in here......"