Author Topic: Man United v Liverpool - The FA Cup - Prematch Thread  (Read 21800 times)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Man United v Liverpool - The FA Cup - Prematch Thread
« on: January 22, 2021, 08:36:19 pm »
Manchester United v Liverpool, Sunday 24th January 2021, 5pm Kick Off, BBC One

v

I hate these games. Especially in our current Covid laden existence. Last week's 0-0 draw at Anfield in the league was torture for me. Usually I'd be in the ground expending all my nervous energy and it's just not the same at home. Covid has taken a lot away from us and the beauty of seeing 9,000 Reds at Old Trafford has been taken away from us, just imagine that many of us inside that ground for our first visit the season after we've won the league for 30 years. It would be off the scale in terms of celebration and piss taking!

This fixture was the reason behind me crying because of the result of a football match for the first time. The date was the 11th May 1996 and 9 year old me was truly gripped by the magic of the cup. Sure Liverpool had had success during my life time but aside from the Coca Cola Cup victory a year previous I hadn't remembered any of it. My family and I had travelled from our south Wales village to my grandparents house on the Wirral with the intention of heading across to Liverpool for the victory parade the day after. We watched the whole day on the BBC, where this weekends match is screened, from early in the morning and watching the buses wind their way through the roads of north London only for Eric Cantona to ruin it all and break my little heart.

Since that day the clubs have met each other 4 times in the cup with the spoils being spared with two victories each, the last encounter being in the 4th round of the cup 8 years ago with Liverpool winning 2-1. In terms of winning the coveted trophy United have done so 3 times since that encounter whilst Liverpool have won it once. Overall in terms of FA Cups win United lead Liverpool 12-7, last winning it in 2016. Liverpool haven't won the cup since 2006, I'm not sure too many people remember that final, I think it was pretty mundane!

To the present day then. Fortunes have recently for the two clubs with United no longer enjoying the success they had in the 90s and 00s whilst Liverpool are the current league champions with their European Cup and Club World Cup victories behind them in the last few years. No matter what you think of their performances this season Manchester United are flying high and getting the results by hook or by crook and find themselves top of the league table by virtue of having played one more game more than their city neighbours. Liverpool started the season well and despite not playing to their full potential were the team to beat until they decided to start their own version of Dry January early on the penultimate game of 2020, although they did slip once and actually scored some goals to advance past Villa's kids in the 3rd round a few weeks ago.

So there we have our current contrast. It's Manchester United vs Liverpool in the 4th round of the FA Cup, one of the biggest games in the world and it must be decided on the night. A team very much in form vs a team very much not in form. But this is a derby and everyone will tell you the formbook doesn't matter in derby matches and leaves the question on everyone's lips - Will Liverpool ever score a goal again?! If they do, can they do it several times to wipe the smugness off every single United fan who has crawled out of the woodworks over the last few weeks? We'll find out Sunday!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Man United v Liverpool - The FA Cup - Prematch Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 08:38:39 pm »
Come on Liverpool, give us a goal. Please.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 08:42:40 pm »
No idea what the team will be for this one, you have to expect Salah and Firmino will start but after that, who knows.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:42:53 pm »
Nice one WR :)

It's weird, our results in recent weeks have been poor but we've been fine defensively, we've struggled to break down teams who just sit back and have no interest in attacking, like West Brom, Burnley and uh, Man Utd.

I don't know if them being at home makes any difference this team round and it obviously depends on the strength of the side we put out but we should get more space in their half in this game? Unless Solskjaer employs the same tactics that he did last week.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 08:44:10 pm »
Nice one WR :)

It's weird, our results in recent weeks have been poor but we've been fine defensively, we've struggled to break down teams who just sit back and have no interest in attacking, like West Brom, Burnley and uh, Man Utd.

I don't know if them being at home makes any difference this team round and it obviously depends on the strength of the side we put out but we should get more space in their half in this game? Unless Solskjaer employs the same tactics that he did last week.

They will probably play the same way. We havent won there in ages so I imagine they will go same again.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 08:46:50 pm »
I just hope we score.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:48:05 pm »
I just hope we score.
That would be nice, I’ve scored more times than Liverpool this year!
Never said that before!

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 08:49:24 pm »
A goal would be utopia.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 08:52:57 pm »
Cheers for the OP

Cant imagine a worse time for this fixture but we're searching for any hope so can't see loads rested here.

A result here and it could kick start us.

Can't see Matip playing again and presumably hendo still out so CB could be an interesting dilemma

Love to get a goal and the first goal would be great.

More hope than expectation for me though this match for the first time in 4 years probably

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 08:53:58 pm »
Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistant Referees: Gary Beswick and Richard West
Fourth Official: Jonathan Moss
VAR: Andre Marriner
AVAR: Marc Perry
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:53 pm »
Obviously would help if the ref wasn't a massive arse as well. The last time we played Man Utd at Old Trafford in the FA Cup, Howard Webb couldn't wait to give a penalty.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 08:58:18 pm »
0-4 🙀

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 09:03:14 pm »
Kelleher

Milner
Matip
Williams
Kostas

Henderson
Jones
Ox

Salah
Firmino
Origi

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 09:24:41 pm »
Strange tie in some ways - in the last three years, the FA Cup has understandably been considerably less of a priority than the Premier League & European Cup.  Recent form & the opponents being United put a bit of something extra on it, however - it's a game that we might welcome as representing a bit of pressure release (given the league form) but performance (given that form!) is important (arguably more so than result).

Kelleher

Milner
Matip
Williams
Kostas

Henderson
Jones
Ox

Salah
Firmino
Origi

Not far wrong, I expect - definitely a good opportunity to get a look at Matip + Phillips/Williams.

It'll be interesting to see how strong United go, given where they find themselves in the league.  If available, Williams and Mata look like obvious ones to bring back in.  Presumably Henderson plays in goal, and Lindelof's return gives them options at centre back.  I think I'm right in thinking they've rotated the midfield a bit during the last few weeks too - Matic back in perhaps?  It appears that Ighalo's loan ends at the end of the month, so I wonder if he might feature.

Got faith that we'll appear a bit unburdened by the break and will turn it on a bit - Henderson and Milner will be determined to ensure a performance.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 09:47:00 pm »
United will go strong in this.  Anything other than a strong team from us and we are leaving ourselves open to a pasting.  Whilst some latter day Liverpool fans won’t be concerned about losing to United in the cup, this is a real opportunity for a confidence boosting victory that would put us in the last 16 and reignite our title challenge.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:28:24 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:53 pm »
One is going to simply walk into Mordor and kick the fucking crap out of them all
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
  • My cup is barely even half empty
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 10:11:32 pm »
It's ManU we're playing and we're not in form
We can NOT lose to ManU, I'd rather Beat ManU, and then lose to SmallVillage Rovers or who ever we get in the next round.
Lets win this game, and take some form into the Spurs game.

Alisson
Trent - Philips - Matip - Robbo
Hendo - Fabinho - Gini
Salah - Firmino - Mane

That team (with the exception of Philips) beat everyone put in front of them last season.    ...convincingly
That team would smash the current ManU side.

If Hendo is not fit then use Thiago, Curtis, or Ox in that position.

Game will finish    ManU 1:4 Liverpool   (Goals by  Matip, Salah (x2), and Firmino
My cup is barely even half empty

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 10:12:24 pm »
We're all gonna have a party, when anyone scores a goal.... :scarf

We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
  • My cup is barely even half empty
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 10:20:44 pm »
We're all gonna have a party, when anyone scores a goal.... :scarf

All socially distant, in our various support bubbles,  but a party's a party  :)
My cup is barely even half empty

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 10:42:12 pm »
Mariner on VAR duty at Old Trafford?

Would not surprise me if they take away two scores and fabricate a pen

Thank you Welsh for the writeup!  Well out.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:03:42 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 10:54:11 pm »
Thanks Welshred.

Here we go again and I expect a similar game to our recent ones.

We’ll have lots of possession and Utd will pack their box. They will hope to nick a goal or win on penalties.

I expect Klopp to try something different just as an experiment.

I’d like to see Origi start again because he isn’t afraid of shooting from distance.
I’d also like to see Thiago play further forward and to be looking to break into the box.

What I don’t want to watch is the dogshit dross that Utd serve up but I guess that comes with the fixture.
#JFT97

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 10:54:11 pm »
The excuses are already rolling in with the refs and all on this thread.  :o

I said a few weeks ago that we should play the kids and get rid shot of this asap, but circumstances have obviously changed. We desperately need a result to build upon. We haven't scored in eons and I'm not including that ridiculous bye we got against the Villa academy kids. Beating these at their place and knocking them out would do us a world of good.

Offline joshlfc94

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 11:04:41 pm »
Kelleher

Milner
Matip
Williams
Kostas

Henderson
Jones
Ox

Salah
Firmino
Origi
I’d be shocked if Alisson didn’t start.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 11:15:53 pm »
Need a strong team and a win to get confidence back.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 11:22:19 pm »
I can't wait

Ba'do-do-do-do-do-de-do,Ba'do-do-do, de-do.....
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 11:44:43 pm »

Ba'do-do-do-do-do-de-do,Ba'do-do-do, de-do.....
Another poster with fuck all to offer except a line-up.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 11:52:41 pm »
Yeah, let's go for this. *If* the league is slipping away an FA Cup would be quite nice.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 12:03:12 am »
Yeah, let's go for this. *If* the league is slipping away an FA Cup would be quite nice.

I wouldn’t give up on the league. It’ll be tough now but all the sweeter after where we are now.
#JFT97

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 12:06:13 am »
hope we score...miss that feeling

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2021, 12:24:53 am »
Sorry, forgot the quotation marks in the last post, I didn't think people had such short memories.

Throw the game.

"...ultimately the backbone of football now is the Premier League and European football at the highest level." - Ian Ayre 17th May 2012.

Nothing has changed for the people running the club since then. I'm concerned for Jürgen trying to win this for the fans when cups aren't included in the algorithm for the end of year will we/won't we sack you discussion.

But yeah, fuck it, let's go team!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2021, 01:19:09 am »
We've had challenges since Jurgen came

-Losing the Europa final, we move up to the CL
-Lose the CL final, come back and win it the year after
-3-0 down to Barca, no problem
-Lose the PL with 97 points, come back and win it the next year
-Lose our captain and other centre backs, despite everything our defence has still performed with kids, reserves and midfielders.

We have risen to harder challenges above, this is just another which we can fix
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2021, 01:35:50 am »
I fancy us to win this.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2021, 02:14:31 am »
I fancy us to win this.

Nailed on.....easy win and we’ll all be wondering how we had been so poor.
#JFT97

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2021, 06:47:42 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the op Welshred, I cried that day too!!
Not enjoying this month but thought last two performances have been better in some ways until we get near thebox but that is the critical area of play. Who knows what will happen but am looking to be cheered up by our team!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2021, 06:53:02 am »
No expectations at all after the recent run of mind boggling form.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2021, 07:50:20 am »
Nice OP. That cup final defeat was the first time i got upset over football...still hurts now looking back at it. I was 12 and only started going to games the season before (first game Tottenham FA Cup)
That sad memory associated to united has recently been replaced by some of the best moments I’ve ever witnessed during the klopp dynasty. That Europa league game and last seasons prem win are two of best games I’ve ever been too in their respective competitions.

I’m losing the love for the game right now but this is what I need to get me excited about football again. Would be great to see us win it. A good cup run would take the bad taste away from the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:52:10 am by ScubaSteve »

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2021, 08:07:02 am »
That 2-1 fa cup defeat in 1999 was one of those losses that took days to get over. The nature of it pissed me off so much.
We have so many out of form/sorts at the moment that it’s impossible to conclude what our strongest team is.
I know the owners don’t value the cup, but us fans would really value a win at Old Trafford. Liverpool after extra time and penalties would do me. Just win

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 09:34:52 am »
Rather not play Matip in this one

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 09:35:58 am »
That's right. 2 banks of 4 and kick fuck out of them. Pay the FA as much respect as we receive!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 09:37:49 am »
That 2-1 fa cup defeat in 1999 was one of those losses that took days to get over. The nature of it pissed me off so much.
We have so many out of form/sorts at the moment that it’s impossible to conclude what our strongest team is.
I know the owners don’t value the cup, but us fans would really value a win at Old Trafford. Liverpool after extra time and penalties would do me. Just win

I was at that one and know exactly what you meant. Don’t think I said a word to my dad from when they scored the winner until about four hours after I got home! Sickening. The level of crowing from those c*nts.