Author Topic: Gerard Houllier - A Personal Appreciation  (Read 5649 times)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Gerard Houllier - A Personal Appreciation
« on: December 14, 2020, 11:21:51 am »

I felt out of love with football, somewhere between Heysel and Hillsborough, between my youth and the edge of adulthood, I became cynical and jaded, disgusted and demoralised. By the time we won the league for the (second) last time, I had moved onto music, girls, careers, away from from the game.

Of course I always checked the results, read match reports, managed the very occasional trip to Anfield. But the love was gone, the passion and the romance had been replaced by parenthood and grown up concerns. I didn’t really believe in football anymore. It had lost the magic, too much had happened in my life and in the game to make it matter as much as it had. At the time, it didn’t make me sad, it was a conscious decision to stop letting eleven men affect my emotional wellbeing (look at me now - I'm writing this the morning after the draw with Fulham and I am still pissed off). So for a decade or so through the 90’s I was largely disconnected from Liverpool Football Club.

Then Ged arrived. He had me at Bonjour. [/size]I remember the awkward press conference, Roy Evans discomforted, Gerard being gracious, with a glint of ambition. He ticked an awful lot of boxes: I was still watching at a distance, but I was watching. I was watching and slowly being drawn back in, by the way we played. By Michael Owen. By youth and vitally and by Ged’s infectious enthusiasm, and by his slow burning ambition.

Life changed and I started travelling to see the Reds. Round trips from Edinburgh, midweeks, late nights, meeting people from here, and there and everywhere, including Glasgow. The Reds were winning and we were in Cardiff and foreign cities and things were passionate and romantic and my cynicism and my jaded outlook had disappeared. The Mighty Reds were back and I was part of it. Gerard Houllier made that happen for me, and I suspect thousands more of us who remembered why we loved football, loved Liverpool Football Club.

My stand out memory is from the Roma game, when he returned to the dug out after his heart troubles. I wrote about it here way back in the day. That was one of the greatest experiences of my life, Anfield as one, as one with the team and the manager, mutual adoration and respect. That red scarf. That emoji.  :scarf I use it a lot and always think of Ged when I do.

He gave the game back to me. Twenty plus years now. Emotional highs, desperate lows, Istanbul, Internet Terrorism, this website, countless trips to Anfield. Homebaked pies. His passion gave me my game back, and gave me a range of friendships founded through football and through RAWK that I know will be with me for the rest of my life. Thank you, Ged.

Rest In Peace Gerard Houllier, You'll Never Walk Alone.  :wave

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:27:05 am by MichaelA »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: Gerard Houllier - A Personal Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 11:26:08 am »
Great post on a very sad morning. Thank you Ged  :champ
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 11:29:58 am »
Great post mate.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:32:23 am »
Lovely post Michael.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 11:32:57 am »
Fantastic post. RIP Ged
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 11:33:04 am »
That's a lovely post.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 11:34:28 am »
Really nice read that.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 11:36:23 am »

Wonderful post.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 11:37:00 am »
 :champ :champ

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 11:40:04 am »
Great post
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 11:46:23 am »
Nice words Michael.

Very saddened to hear this. I was talking to a non football following friend last night about his achievements and the excuse he gave for Gods goal celebration.

I'm thankful for how dedicated he was to Liverpool, even when it affected his health back then. It was fitting we were able to repay his hard work and efforts with that magical season in 2001.

Thoughts are with his family. YNWA

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 11:46:42 am »
Thank You all, Gerard meant a lot to me. I linked to an old RAWK article in the post, but I'm going to post it again here:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=317899.0

That night was already shaping up to be special. Gerard Houllier had been ill, recovering from his heart trouble, and he had been away from Anfield for five months. That night, AS Roma arrived, we needed a big win to progress beyond the group stages of the Champions League. That night, Gerard stepped up to the touchline. That night, I was sat in the upper centenary, directly opposite the tunnel, and I suddenly became aware of the crowd looking in that direction, the surge of noise, the roar of approval. And then his dark overcoat against the green turf, his drawn and pale face, and his crimson scarf. And at that moment the whole of the ground was on it's feet, scarves swinging, all chanting, all singing, all engulfed in the emotion that rolled off the stands and onto the pitch. All of that emotion was enveloping that man in the red scarf, it was reverberating back from the Kop to the Anfield Road End, and it was passed reverently backwards and forwards from the Main Stand to the Centenary. And it was deafening - an all encompassing moment of communion between the fans and the manager - 'Allez, Allez, Gerard Houllier".

Gerard meant a great deal to me for lots of reasons,

I know many people respect him, but I know a lot of people who dismiss his achievements. He was Liverpool through and through. I think he deserves to be revered alongside our other great managers. His absence from that banner is a real oversight, without him we wouldn't have had Istanbul, or Jurgen Klopp..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:49:50 am by MichaelA »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 11:51:18 am »
Lovely read that Michael...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 11:53:44 am »
Lovely words Michael.

I liked Houllier, I also respected him enormously. He is one of the people I would have loved to have bumped into some time, just to be able to say Thank You for his contribution to the club. Sadly that is no longer a possibility. It is a sad day.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 11:54:14 am »
Thank You all, Gerard meant a lot to me. I linked to an old RAWK article in the post, but I'm going to post it again here:

I know many people respect him, but I know a lot of people who dismiss his achievements. He was Liverpool through and through. I think he deserves to be revered alongside our other great managers. His absence from that banner is a real oversight, without him we wouldn't have had Istanbul, or Jurgen Klopp..

Totally agree. The cheeky scamp knew it as well  ;) 

As often happens when people pass away, their contribution is reassessed and everyone quite rightly will come to the conclusion that he modernised the club just in time and set us up for what we have now. People forget the sense of drift there was around the club. I posted in the other thread that he gave the club a much needed kick up the arse and that is precisely what he did.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 12:01:25 pm »
A fitting tribute to a great, great man. Thanks for posting.

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 12:02:51 pm »
Beautiful post Michael. Only fond memories of the boss.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 12:05:56 pm »

Great opening post.

I totally agree with this.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 12:07:15 pm »
Totally agree. The cheeky scamp knew it as well  ;) 

As often happens when people pass away, their contribution is reassessed and everyone quite rightly will come to the conclusion that he modernised the club just in time and set us up for what we have now. People forget the sense of drift there was around the club. I posted in the other thread that he gave the club a much needed kick up the arse and that is precisely what he did.

Much like the reappointment of Kenny, Roy Evans had a task to simply stabilise the club.
Like Kenny he was able to do that, but was not able to take us that step further.
When Gerrard arrived, he brought radical ideas and as someone has said, a burning ambition to do the right thing.
As some feller from Allerton wrote in a little ditty
“ All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise”
He knew he could make it work better, and he did.
Sadly his health stopped him from taking us further still.
But he laid so many of the foundations of our modern club, yet never ever lost sight that it was the team and the fans together that made it successful. Rafa was left with some pretty solid foundations as has been said.

But for me, his laughing incredulity at Gary Macs goal, you know the one, still makes me smile. He was like us, not quite believing what he had seen, thinking “I never planned for that...” .
Always one of us.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 12:12:38 pm »
Lovely post Michael. Echoes a lot of my thoughts. I’ve been a red for many decades, but Ged’s tenure coincided with my daughter and I getting ‘priority’ season tickets for 3 years. She’d been at Liverpool Uni for 5 years (a gap year and a year abroad) and like her dad, had fallen in love with the city and LFC. That was a special time - a young Owen, StevieG’s first game as a teenage fullback, the pace and power of Titi and later, Heskey, the 2-0 against Utd. when Stevie and Robbie scored, the JAR thunderbolt in another game against Utd. I could go on, but you get the drift.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 12:16:33 pm »
Great tribute. Sad day

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Number 7 is just around the corner!!
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 12:24:51 pm »
Much like the reappointment of Kenny, Roy Evans had a task to simply stabilise the club.
Like Kenny he was able to do that, but was not able to take us that step further.
When Gerrard arrived, he brought radical ideas and as someone has said, a burning ambition to do the right thing.
As some feller from Allerton wrote in a little ditty
“ All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise”
He knew he could make it work better, and he did.
Sadly his health stopped him from taking us further still.
But he laid so many of the foundations of our modern club, yet never ever lost sight that it was the team and the fans together that made it successful. Rafa was left with some pretty solid foundations as has been said.

But for me, his laughing incredulity at Gary Macs goal, you know the one, still makes me smile. He was like us, not quite believing what he had seen, thinking “I never planned for that...” .
Always one of us.

Thank you for putting into words what I can only feverishly imagine.

After all the sadness and tragedy that had gone before him (those raw welts we all still feel as Liverpool supporters). He caused us to reflect once again on the incredible things that make us... LIVERPOOL!!

YNWA Gerard - as you of all people knew!!! You are one of us...always.

Grazie mille!
"After 27 years and 11 days, finally, we got justice for the 96"
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 12:26:49 pm »
A really sad loss but leaves behind a great legacy at the club.

The BBC had a link to the FA Cup final and I'd forgotten how much I loved that team; Hyppia, Henchoz, Hamann, Gary Mac, Heskey, Babbel and Smicer all signed by him, with Gerrard, Carra and Owen from the youth set-up.

I remember seeing Babbel in the Allerton Road Tesco after he'd been out for a good while and he looked so frail.  I can't find the link now but he said in an interview years later how great Houllier had been with him, regular contact just to keep him involved and never any questions or pressure about his illness (I'd expect Houllier would have been all over that from his medical department so judged it something he didn't need to remind Babbel about!).  Ahead of his time in his treatment and respect of his players.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 12:30:34 pm »
Great post Michael
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 12:53:23 pm »
Thank you Michael for this perfectly poignant tribute.

No manager for me will mean quite as much as Gerard Houllier, his wide-eyed laughter at Goodison in 2001 will remain forever engraved in memory.

Those preciously indelible links with the past have kept breaking relentlessly this year.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 01:44:28 pm »
Fantastic stuff Michael, really lovely tribute to Liverpool's great Frenchman.

He loved us, we loved him. He almost gave his life for us. He made us winners again. And he was a Kopite some 25 years before he took the reins.

Thank you Ged. YNWA.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 01:56:17 pm »
Thanks Michael, beautifully written
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 02:06:26 pm »
Great post Michael. I didn’t quite lose the bug in the 90s like yourself but I do know exactly what you mean about the way he changed things, revitalised the whole atmosphere at the club. It was a special time to follow the Reds.

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 03:30:33 pm »
Great post, beautifully articulated.

Unlike you, I hadn't fallen out of love with football or anything like that. On the contrary, Houllier became manager when I was in my late teens and I started going to football with my mates instead of my parents; was just about old enough to be going to pubs, starting University etc etc. It goes way beyond merely the game and is all tied up with being young and finding my own feet in the world for the first time and having an absolute blast in the process. The Houllier era was a huge part of that for me, as well as it being my first real taste of big success with LFC.

This news has floored me.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 03:36:23 pm »
Fair play Mike. RIP Ged

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2020, 06:01:03 pm »
Nice post Michael. i think for many of us of a certain age, Houllier's spell in charge re-lit the fire, especially seeing Liverpool do well in Europe again.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2020, 06:05:40 pm »
Great post, really well put
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2020, 06:13:49 pm »
Thank you Michael. The Houllier years were my match going years. Moved to near Anfield and travelling round europe watching us, meeting many match going reds from here. GH will always hold a special place in my heart.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2020, 06:24:04 pm »
Excellent stuff Michael. This felt like a day to log back in and I'm glad I did. Hope you're well.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2020, 06:36:56 pm »
Moving tribute, Michael. Lovely.

He was 'my' first Liverpool manager, 2001 being the first year I remember watching us. He was the first one I looked up to. The one in charge the first time I went to Anfield. I don't even want to focus on the foundations he laid, as important as they were; his time here is worthy of celebration and respect in its own right. The amount of heavy lifting he had to do - compare that to the people and structures we have in place now that make Jurgen's job a lot easier - in addition to the stresses of managing Liverpool at that time especially; it's maybe no wonder it affected his heart. Physical and figurative.

Without that near death experience, I think we may well have won the league under him at some point. Never a perfect team but, for a while, a damn good one. In a time where cup wins are treated with less respect than ever, the treble still seems like a staggering achievement. The second place in 01/02 was, despite his extended absence, built entirely on his work. He was an excellent manager, a winner, a modern professional with an immense passion and love for the traditional values and heart of football. I'm glad he got to see us finally win the league. I'm gutted he won't see us win more. All thoughts to his wife and sons.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2020, 06:50:05 pm »
Lovely post Michael.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2020, 06:51:56 pm »
Lovely that mate. Really lovely.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline zadoktBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 07:59:08 pm »
Brilliant Beautiful post

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2020, 09:08:36 pm »
Lovely post Michael. Fond memories.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2020, 10:48:34 pm »
That was a lovely tribute. I am still shocked to be honest. Remember his whole tenure at Anfield (and that lovely 3-0 when he was with Villa !!). He got it and he gave it his all.