Author Topic: CC: Liverpool 0 vs 0 Arsenal Arsenal win on pens  (Read 20969 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
CC: Liverpool 0 vs 0 Arsenal Arsenal win on pens
« on: October 1, 2020, 06:36:24 pm »
Liverpool vs Arsenal, EFL Cup, Thursday 1 October, 7.45pm

Where does the time go? October already, and it simultaneously feels like this year has been going on forever and that it's been only a few hours since we last hosted Arsenal at Anfield.

HOLD UP, IT IS!

Arsenal went out with a determined gameplan: hang back and try to hit us on the break, but after grabbing an early goal courtesy of an Andy Robertson miskick, they couldn't lay a glove on the champs.

Coincidentally, this is a replay of last year's last 16 match up, a blood and thunder classic where wily veterans like Milner, Lallana and Ozil oversaw a 5-5 thriller that involved youth and reserve players from each side throwing themselves forward against seemingly non-existent defences before it was eventually settled by a penalty shoot out. Another 10 goals is a lot to ask but I don't see any way this isn't another high scoring affair.

I expect us to line up similarly to how we did in the last round, especially considering the fact Thiago won't be back in time. Jordan Henderson is a possibility but looks likelier to start on the bench. The two big issues for the team that thumped seven past Lincoln City last week are in central defence and up front. With a three-day gap between the tie and our next Premier League game - compared to six for the last round - neither Van Dijk nor Gomez look like great options, though Fabinho could start in defence if he isn't being considered for midfield at the weekend. Nate Phillips is a possibility but given we're trying to unload him right now, not a strong one. Billy Koumetio on the other hand is just about fit again, and Sepp Van Den Berg is presumably raring to go. I don't think many people expected Rhys Williams to come straight into the team for Lincoln and if Klopp picks him again it could be a sign he really rates him.

Further forward, Milner and Jones look dead set to start in midfield. I'd include Grujic, but Kicker just reported that he's got a new agent and is looking for a move. Hendo is a possibility but probably more for the last half hour or so. The big question is who's going to be in the front four. Minamino is a nailed on starter, as is Jota after his goal last night. The remaining places will go to two of Shaqiri, Origi, who scored two crackers in last season's tie, and Elliott (at this stage it's fair to assume Brewster is out of the running). Given all that, I'd say this is likely:

Adrian

Neco
Koumetio
Fabinho (or Rhys)
Tsmikas

Milner
Jones
Shaqiri (or Hendo)

Jota
Minamino
Elliott (or Origi)

Arsenal of course won't be lining up the same way either. I suspect Arteta might want to try out Gabriel and Saliba as a back two, as this is effectively a free game against Premier League-quality opposition, though Sokratis is back in training and is also a possibility. Kolasinac is nailed on for left back (or one of the back three if it comes to that) and Cedric should be over a calf problem and ready to go on the right. They might also decide to give a run out to Rúnarsson, the Icelandic keeper who was until recently the second choice at Ligue 1's Dijon. I haven't seen him in action but advance word is...not good.

Further up the pitch, Saka and Willock look certainties to start while Ceballos, who got half an hour last night, is also a strong possibility. They're looking for a buyer for Torreira but with nothing lined up, he may start at the base of defence despite a disappointing few months. I think it's fair to say Ozil is an outsider. Saka could be moved up to the front three but I'd say it's more likely to be Pepe, Nketiah and Nelson.

With that in mind, I expect this to be their starting 11, with Cedric and Saka as wing backs if they decide to play with a back three:

Leno/Rúnarsson

Cedric
Gabriel
Saliba
Kolasinac

Willock
Ceballos
Saka

Nelson
Nketiah
Pepe

Despite our second team breezing through the last round and our first team doing similarly in the league, I think this will be a tough match. Arsenal have a better squad than most teams in the Premier League and if we play two youngsters at centre back their front players should expect to get some joy. There must be a parallel universe where the game is won by a surprise Harry Wilson masterclass, but with several first teamers on the bench if necessary I like our chances either way.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2020, 09:47:35 pm by Tepid T₂O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CC: Liverpool vs Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2020, 06:40:04 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2020, 06:50:32 pm »
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2020, 07:45:26 pm »
1 Arsenal kick off.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 1, 2020, 07:46:22 pm »
1 Straight away our players flood forward forcing Arsenal back, we had a bout six players in their box.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2020, 07:48:35 pm »
2 We had a little bit of possession on the right, nice to see Neco getting involved in some quick touch passes. In the end its a free kick to Arsenal after Van Dijk's cross field ball catches Neco on the arm.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 1, 2020, 07:50:24 pm »
4 Interesting straight away Van Dijk/Milner are trying to get those balls in behind the Arsenal defence.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 1, 2020, 07:50:45 pm »
Shaqiri not involved as two clubs are interested in buying him.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 1, 2020, 07:52:26 pm »
6 Arsenal with their first real move but it ends up with Adrian in the end.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2020, 07:53:52 pm »
7 Early scare there, a ball in behind our defence and Pepe was in but good work from Adrian and he manages to smother the ball.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 1, 2020, 07:55:31 pm »
9 We are trying to move the ball forward, but Arsenal coming down field and we are struggling to get it through them at the moment.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2020, 07:55:35 pm »
The fake crowd noise is broken... it’s not good.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2020, 07:57:22 pm »
10 Then we suddenly manage to put a good move which ends up in a corner. The corner is taken by Wilson, Arsenal head it away and its another corner. The corner goes in but the goalie catches the ball.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 1, 2020, 07:59:03 pm »
13 We are keeping the pressure on Arsenal without really finding that killer pass as of yet. We crowd in on the Arsenal defender but the ref decides its a foul.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 1, 2020, 08:00:56 pm »
15 Arsenal gain a free kick near our area after a coming together. Minamino is booked.

Over to Tepid.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 1, 2020, 08:01:25 pm »
16 yellow card for someone .... not really sure who.... Minamino it seems
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 1, 2020, 08:04:37 pm »
18 Curtis and Minamino interact but the return ball is just not quite right..
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 1, 2020, 08:06:13 pm »
Arsenal still trying to pass it around their area I see.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 1, 2020, 08:07:05 pm »
21 VVD almost played a clearance the wrong way, sending three Arsenal players clear.. Milner gets a foot to the skied ball though. Phew
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 1, 2020, 08:08:22 pm »
That was one hairy moment. 😀

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 1, 2020, 08:11:05 pm »
25 Saka puts a nice cross into the area.   A nice stooping  headed clearance by Rhys Williams clears.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 1, 2020, 08:13:40 pm »
28 free kick to us 35 yards out after a foul on Wilson.  Out for a throw to us.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 1, 2020, 08:15:24 pm »
Over to sir Bob Paisley... if he’s in yet ;D
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #23 on: October 1, 2020, 08:15:59 pm »
Over to sir Bob Paisley... if he’s in yet ;D
Back and ready to go kind sir.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #24 on: October 1, 2020, 08:17:57 pm »
32 Lots of possession but not really going anywhere with it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 1, 2020, 08:19:15 pm »
Bring us a goal PB3, or at least a genuine chance.  ;D

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #26 on: October 1, 2020, 08:19:40 pm »
34 Jones tries a tame long ranger, straight at Leno

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #27 on: October 1, 2020, 08:22:49 pm »
37 Most of the play in the middle third. Not a lot happening.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #28 on: October 1, 2020, 08:23:10 pm »
Good work by Neco there intercepting that ball

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 1, 2020, 08:24:25 pm »
Fucking hell.

A block challenge by Grujic there would have stopped an elephant. Pity the Arsenal player on the other end of that.  It was about a 20/80 ball.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 1, 2020, 08:24:40 pm »
Jones trying Rabona's in the Arsenal penalty area now :lmao

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 1, 2020, 08:24:55 pm »
Good work by Neco there intercepting that ball

He has done well tonight always available for the ball.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #32 on: October 1, 2020, 08:27:21 pm »
41 Long ranger from cebailllos sails wide.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #33 on: October 1, 2020, 08:29:26 pm »
44 Jota hauled over just outside the box. Right on the line. Decent position. Floated in by Millie but easily cleared.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 1, 2020, 08:30:31 pm »
Oh FFS..... how?!
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 1, 2020, 08:31:08 pm »
Och! So close!

Bloody hell

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #36 on: October 1, 2020, 08:31:35 pm »
45 closest we’ve come this half. Jota has a header saved, it comes out to Minamino who hits the bar on the volley from five yards. Should score.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #37 on: October 1, 2020, 08:31:52 pm »
HT 0-0

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 1, 2020, 08:32:02 pm »
Such a great ball in by Neco. We should have scored there.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 1, 2020, 08:47:57 pm »
45 Minamino get the second half underway.