Author Topic: A Forseeable UEFA planning Disaster Waiting to Happen- let's hope not!  (Read 8493 times)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

I'm sitting in the barbers the day before yesterday getting my hair cut for Madrid and Marie the owner is made up, times have been hard with the ketwig boom stealing her younger regular customers but she's experiencing a pre-Madrid rush. Practically everyone's had the same idea as me and trade is good today.  The conversation  between the customers is like a seasoned travel agents convention, 'I'm out of Liverpool to Porto, Porto to Madrid-overland, then out from Madrid to Milan, Milan Manchester'. Marie's not going herself, but counts herself lucky to have tickets for the Aintree Racecourse screening as they have been long sold out, just like the massive Echo Arena and every other venue, from the big arenas to local bars and alehouses, you can't get tickets for screenings in Liverpool never mind the match. Yet there is a party atmosphere around the city, flags everywhere and an estimated 70, 000 traveling to Madrid most without tickets

Despite most customers being regular match goers, there is hardly a ticket amongst us waiting for our pre-match haircut, there's an ,acceptance that there's no tickets going in Liverpool, normal channels are all closed. One lucky lad has two tickets from the ballot for him and his mate and tells us a tout he knows phoned him up offering £10 000, if that's what the touts will pay cost price what are they knocking them out to the corporates for. There is an acceptance that this time there really are no tickets to be had, a general feeling  we're going out for the atmosphere, a bit of Shevchenko Park in Kiev, a bit of sun. a bit of continental culture, a bit of Jamie Webster and a chance to see old friends, none of us are paying tout money for tickets and a modern football stadium for a change, it's going to be hard to get in.

Most of us are going over to participate in a carnival, that's the mood. We are ripped off by travel companies, by the hotels, by the Airbnb's but most of all by UEFA. The UEFA Fat Cats, an organisation where the next corruption scandal is always bubbling under, an organisation that takes a football legend and turns him into a disreputable nobody, an organisation that is designed not for football, their cover, but to make obscene amounts of money, where they all have their snouts firmly planted in the trough. Their tickets are already at tout prices, nearly £500 for a match ticket is obscene but in their completely out of touch corporate surroundings why not add a bit on, it's only the mug punters who are stupid enough to love the game, it's nothing in the grand scheme but it all adds up. They and their grotesque 'UEFA Family' steal the game from us the ordinary fans and  brazenly sell it on, never thinking for a moment about fans as they count their spoils, thinking of new ways to extend their wealth. They do occasionally think of the fans, as a handy excuse when their organisational incompetence goes wrong. Baku. They pre planned that two years in advance, they're a joke.

There's a worry and it wont go away. UEFA's greed and total incompetence at organising has consequences. last year in Kiev, the Kiev Police where brilliant, they encouraged the carnival, set limits but allowed the celebration in Shevenko Park space to breathe, the fans were brilliant, Boss night and the organisers were brilliant, Liverpool the club were brilliant, they got involved in fan culture listened to us and the event was a massive success. so UEFA's  organisational incompetence was covered for another year, but can they get away with it again this year? I hope so but things aren't looking good.

Liverpool fans travel, it's a given, it's our culture, passed on from father to child, my daughter's coming with me to Madrid, my Dad took his kids on the train to Rome. It's predictable. It can be planned for. If your organisation's greed and unfair ticket allocation means that there are going to be tens of thousands of  fans without tickets it makes sense to plan for that It's not even that hard.  Stick some massive screens in the fan parks and keep the carnival going. Open the biggest capacity ground in Madrid, the Santiago Bernabeu with  massive screens, if they weren't so completely out of touch and incompetent they would realise, they could make money out of that as well as looking after public safety as a side-line to their major concern, maximising revenue and influence, a lot of work to be done to catch up to those Olympic levels of influence, but we're not far off, eh boys!

Liverpool Football Club, The Mayor of Liverpool can all see before the event that things need organising and have tried knocking their heads against the UEFA wall. It's not a good idea to shut the fan parks early and expect 30,000 people to find a bar to watch the match in, it's going to be a logistical nightmare. It is  a completely foreseeable problem that needs some basic planning to sort out, but even that is beyond UEFA's capabilities and inclination. Add into the equation the Spanish Police who's policing of football fans is still stuck in the dark ages,  where football fans aren't people but cattle to be batoned about and horded into pens and the situation becomes more worrying. The latest frankly frightening proclamation, is that they're shutting the fan park at 6pm but  police are going to be stopping drinking at 5pm, this is asking for trouble, you don't stop a party with a big stick and tear gas. It doesn't take a genius to foresee serious trouble. Liverpool fans are out to party, to enjoy the carnival but add in  a few thousand  indiscriminate baton wealing police and the mood can quickly change to one of chaos and mayhem. We have all the ingredients being assembled for a total disaster here, yet this can be forseen and easily avoided with some basic planning. If we can see it in Marie's barbers, how come these incompetents in charge of the event can't. UEFA are so out of touch, this basic planning is unlikely to take place, much easier to do nothing and then blame the fans afterwards, they've got past form as an organisation.

I hope that the picture I've painted doesn't come to fruition that UEFA's complete disregard for fans doesn't play out the way I fear but if it doesn't happen it won't be because of competent planning but pure luck and football fans who put up with being ripped off and treated like dirt, but find ingenious ways to overcome and get around this, fans who despite the troubles want nothing more than to enjoy themselves rather than let the poor organisation from the top spoil their carnival. This is the third European final for Liverpool in recent times and you get blasé about the ridiculous places, the inappropriate grounds, the UEFA Touting Family, stealing your tickets, the ridiculous price of tickets and the appalling organisation for the ordinary fans while the UEFA gravy train rolls into town, growing  more corpulent and obscene every year. Let's hope we win and we all get back safely, if we do, it will be because of ourselves, luck and will have nothing to do those who leach on us.

Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline medicineboy

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Great write up, great but concerning. Flying out tonight and I've got to be honest; I'm a little worried. All I want is to enjoy the fans, the festival and the football but it seems that all of the authorities involved care nothing for any of that. They are doing as little as possible to cater to the fans that are travelling and seem intent on creating a bad situation and increasing some kind of tension and apprehension.

That said, I am determined to have the time of my life, fwiw I'm leaving Central at 4/5 and heading north or east to find myself and my small party a spot to settle in for the evening. If anyone is interested in a meetup hit me up.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
A sobering read. Stay safe, Reds.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
You can only hope that they're going with the "not showing it on big screens" line to encourage people not to come, and then they'll change their tune on the day.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens. Here's hoping.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Spot on post , especially in regards to self serving UEFA parasites .

Some ominous considerations there and hopefully all passes off without incident . As you say though , will be in spite of UEFA ( and the Madrid authorities ), and not because of them .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
All very good points. Throw in tens of thousands of Tottenham fans experiencing their first European final since the 80's (and first ever European Cup final) and it doesn't sound so pretty. Also the fact that some of our dickhead fans already showed themselves up in Barcelona, so Madrid police might be extra 'wary'.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Would Madrid be able to open both stadiums at the same time as presumably the stadium showing the screening would need to be policed as normal for any other match day and the roads would all be chocka with so many fans all travelling to two different stadiums? Presumably Real and Atletco don’t ever play at home at the same time?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
My mates over in Madrid since Monday looking for two tickets for himself and the son and they are available but for ridiculous money and by ridiculous i mean 3800 euro is the cheapest he's been quoted for two. Honestly i think unfortunately there might be trouble over there on match day if they run the operation like predicted.  Typical stupidness from UEFA to hold the match in not even the biggest stadium in Madrid either could of got another 20k fans into the match if they'd gone with the right option.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Would Madrid be able to open both stadiums at the same time as presumably the stadium showing the screening would need to be policed as normal for any other match day and the roads would all be chocka with so many fans all travelling to two different stadiums? Presumably Real and Atletco don’t ever play at home at the same time?
Don't be silly. London has about 8 clubs often play at same time, We're talking one of the world's great capital cities not a provisional backwater,with a donkey and a bar. You can get the underground literally right outside the bernabeu. 30,000 Liverpool fans unorganisingly wandering with 5-10,000 Spurs fans, won't be a joke. Its far easier to police a few big focus places than the present total lack of plan.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Aye a very sobering read indeed.

Uefa don't give a fuck, the embarrassment that was the Europa final in Baku was there for everyone to see,allowing a major final to be staged at a stadium where protection for the players wasn't guaranteed really is a joke..then we hear Uefa confirm Baku remains a venue for the 2020 Euro championships..Wow,incredible!
Be safe reds out there.
Fuck Uefa.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
Same every year though isn't it? in some way shape or form. I was so pissed off after Athens in 07 that i swore I would never go again to oa major UEFA ran event.   That year was finely positioned on a knife edge of disaster, certain injury, potential death and certainly large scale public disorder  immediately outside the ground before kick off.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
Yep, sobering read.  Stay safe out there, hopefully they will do a u-turn on the big screen(s).

The other thing is whilst we will, as always, outnumber the oppo fans in Madrid; this is Spurs first European Cup final (and may realistically be the only one they get to); it sounds as if large numbers; tens of thousands not a few thousand Tottenham are going over there as well as us - certainly will be way, way more than 5-10,000 Spurs fans over in Madrid beyond those with tickets for the game.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
That said, I am determined to have the time of my life, fwiw I'm leaving Central at 4/5 and heading north or east to find myself and my small party a spot to settle in for the evening. If anyone is interested in a meetup hit me up.

I’ll be there as well by myself. Arriving at 5:45pm from Barcelona. Interested in a meeting, and a bit surprised that nothing is organised... i’ve been working like a dog for the last two weeks, haven’t read any news.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Don't be silly. London has about 8 clubs often play at same time, We're talking one of the world's great capital cities not a provisional backwater,with a donkey and a bar. You can get the underground literally right outside the bernabeu. 30,000 Liverpool fans unorganisingly wandering with 5-10,000 Spurs fans, won't be a joke. Its far easier to police a few big focus places than the present total lack of plan.

Yes but London is over twice the size of Madrid and has roughly 5 times as many Police Officers at its disposal. And the London clubs don’t ever all play at the same time. Arsenal and Spurs don’t (which is the reason Arsenal ended the season with so many away games due to Spurs’ delay with their ground,) Chelsea and Fulham don’t. In this particular case the two stadiums are actually closer to one another than the clubs I just mentioned. Obviously I get the fact that you’re not dealing with two stadiums of local rivals as you normally would be in that situation but I would still imagine that the number of police required to deal with that safely might be difficult to arrange.

The truth is I don’t know, it was a question rather than a statement, but presumably there is a reason why Real and Atletico don’t play at home on the same day and I would imagine that is why they can’t open both stadiums at the same time? I would imagine for licensing reasons, you would need xxxx number of police to be deployed to in order for either venue to open and that obviously can’t then deplete the police to the point that the city itself suffers, it may simply be that there aren’t enough police in Madrid to be able to open both?

What would make sense would be to open two separate fan zones at opposite sides of the city and show the match on big screens in each respective fan zone with each designated for the particular club.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:38:30 am by Jm55 »

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
That was a really excellent, if worrying, OP. From the sounds of it it's perhaps lucky that its Liverpool and Spurs fans. At least there is no particular history of animosity or backdrop of manufactured rivalry between the two clubs - one is comfortable with being there, the other is happy to be there, neither, as far as I know, has a particular disrespect for the other. I say that because, from the sounds of it, UEFA have yet again organised a final without, apparently, giving much thought as to how many fans might come, what those fans might do when they are there, and how to best work with the actual reality of that.

He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
I've posted a link to this on the Spurs subreddit.

I think all fans need to be prepared for the worst and stick together should it happen.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
Shut the main outside bar in Plaza Mayor on police orders. There are going to be issues if they keep on doing this all week.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
In regards to big screens - the only way that would work without a major kick off is with specific fan parks at opposite sides of the city.  Anyone who was in Athens without a ticket will know why I say that, luckily I was in the ground but it predictably resulted in fighting in Syntagma square when the match was screened there. Thousands of pissed up Liverpool and Spurs fans watching the match together in the sun is a recipe for absolute bedlam, especially when the batton happy Spanish bizzies start wading in to ‘Sort it ou.’

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
That was a really excellent, if worrying, OP. From the sounds of it it's perhaps lucky that its Liverpool and Spurs fans. At least there is no particular history of animosity or backdrop of manufactured rivalry between the two clubs - one is comfortable with being there, the other is happy to be there, neither, as far as I know, has a particular disrespect for the other. I say that because, from the sounds of it, UEFA have yet again organised a final without, apparently, giving much thought as to how many fans might come, what those fans might do when they are there, and how to best work with the actual reality of that.

Ah sir... you forget the 1981 FA cup quarter final and the Tottenham High Road after the match 😱...some of us old boys are still traumatised.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop

White Hart Lane was the only ground where I've had a proper kicking, been close at Old Trafford though ;D

Offline murphs316

• Kopite
  • 5 Star Heros to 7 Hit Wonders
UEFA don't care for those travelling with out tickets, they only care about those who have tickets which is why they have those fan parks closing before the game, they are only ever intended for fans who have traveled to the City with a match ticket.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
White Hart Lane was the only ground where I've had a proper kicking, been close at Old Trafford though ;D
Shows how much I know, then!
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
Good read and thoughts by the 92A.

Stay safe in Madrid Reds!
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Really glad this thread didn’t go anywhere. Well in everyone over there - including Tottenham fans.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Wrote this laying a marker, but hoping it would fade into obscurity and thankfully it will. All of us in Madrid had the time of our lives meeting old and new friends, doing what we do. The Madrid police were on it but totally let it flow, got to hand it to them, good policing. The ground was organised well. Madrid delivered.

The fanzone was unbelievable, credit to the fans our culture, boss nights etc, and the club for letting it breathe. I reckon 50 thousand with more in surrounding bars, they missed a trick with the screens but sensible policing combined with brilliant behaviour from the Liverpool fans and a total determination to enjoy ourselves.

Both sets of fans were exeptional,  Spurs played their part, hardly any England on tour shite, they were out to savour their experience like us. In our hotel we genuinely had a ball with them,  proper  support but respect on both sides, easily could of been different but it wasn't.

UEFA, steal our game, contrast the whoppers only there for the occasion with no interest in the game but with tickets outside the ground, with the number of genuine fans watching it in bars around the city, having made big sacrifices to be there and it's genuinely heartbreaking.

To paraphrase Jamie Webster, it wasn't a three day bender, it turned out 3 days in paradise for us, but a great memory for me is the ticketless  Spurs fan, who we'd been drinking with, who I found out I had a lot in common with coming back down the bar at 4 o'clock, having dealt with the worst of his disappointment on his own, to buy us a drink and congratulate us. There was a  respect there that didn't need to be vocalised. That's who UEFA steal our game from, fans like us.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 11:39:08 am by The 92A »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Brilliant that ^^^ Albie.   Sounds like an incredible trip.