Author Topic: Amazon win Premier League package from 2019  (Read 25932 times)

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
Amazon win Premier League package from 2019
« on: June 7, 2018, 10:59:49 am »
From Chris Williams at The Telegraph:

Confirmed: Amazon has bought one of the remaining Premier league packages. Announcement around lunchtime. Another thing for fans to sign up to if they want to watch all matches.

More expense!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Amazon win Premier League package from 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2018, 11:00:46 am »
How many games do they get with that package?

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2018, 11:03:23 am »
How many games do they get with that package?

20 by the looks of it:

Buying one of these will entitle Amazon to broadcast either 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme or 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2018, 11:04:45 am »
There'll be one company in the future that sells everything, and that company will be Amazon.

It's fantastic for your bottom line when you can make billions and legally avoid paying any tax on it.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: June 7, 2018, 11:09:53 am »
Finally one of the services I subscribe to (I don't Sky or BT) have got some football  ;D

Will be interesting if they do this an an additional fee or if it'll be included in the Prime fee (and if that'll stay the same).

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2018, 11:27:33 am »
Finally one of the services I subscribe to (I don't Sky or BT) have got some football  ;D

Will be interesting if they do this an an additional fee or if it'll be included in the Prime fee (and if that'll stay the same).

Wondering the same, I don't bother with TV subscriptions because they're such a rip-off but if this comes with Prime then it's a nice bonus. Not sure they could charge a separate subscription for a measly 20 games, maybe they could charge per game though.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2018, 11:33:36 am »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/07/amazon-enters-premier-league-live-rights-market-purchase-one/

It sounds like the package Amazon have picked up covers two midweek 'matchdays' where they will show 10 games at the same time. Is that right? Can't imagine too many people will fork out for another subscription to watch basically two matches over the course of the season.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: June 7, 2018, 11:38:22 am »
Doesn't say which package they've got, it's either a midweek round of 10 matches where they can show them all, along with the same on a Bank Holiday, or it is 10 midweek matches of which they can show 2 games per night.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2018, 11:40:08 am »
Shame they couldn't buy the fucking lot

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2018, 11:43:12 am »
Jeremy Clarkson to present
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2018, 11:49:44 am »
Was going to ditch Amazon Prime at the end of this year when the subs is up for renewal as i don't use as much as i used to - might wait and see if it's free to us members or whether they hike the price. 

Offline murphs316

• Kopite
  • 5 Star Heros to 7 Hit Wonders
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2018, 12:00:16 pm »
Was going to ditch Amazon Prime at the end of this year when the subs is up for renewal as i don't use as much as i used to - might wait and see if it's free to us members or whether they hike the price. 

I had Prime at £7.99 but seen that you can drop £2 quid to £5.99 a month just for prime video, living in N.Ireland the next day delivery and such did not really work for me so no loss in that

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2018, 12:02:35 pm »

Wouldn't be surprised if a price-hike is coming as I think the price is being raised in the US

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2018, 12:04:43 pm »
Am I right in understanding what Amazon have bought is 20 games over two weekends - so they will show all 10 games of a weekend and do that again at some other point in the season.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2018, 12:06:09 pm »
There'll be one company in the future that sells everything, and that company will be Amazon.

It's fantastic for your bottom line when you can make billions and legally avoid paying any tax on it.

It is rather worrying though.  Amazon isn't even their main period of making profits yet, they are simply wrecking their competition until there are few/none left, then price gouge everyone to all hell. The more services they add, the more people get used to the convenience of having them and the more they can push the subscription up.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 7, 2018, 12:06:41 pm »
Am I right in understanding what Amazon have bought is 20 games over two weekends - so they will show all 10 games of a weekend and do that again at some other point in the season.
Not worth getting if thats the case.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #16 on: June 7, 2018, 12:07:00 pm »
Can't believe BT paid £90 million for the remaining package which is, one set of midweek fixtures & one set of bank holiday fixtures. :o

BBC are saying Amazon Prime members can watch weekley highlights of all the PL fixtures throughout the season.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #17 on: June 7, 2018, 12:08:26 pm »

No it's for 2 rounds of midweek fixtures.
#Sausages

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18 on: June 7, 2018, 12:11:20 pm »

Doesn't say which package they've got, it's either a midweek round of 10 matches where they can show them all, along with the same on a Bank Holiday, or it is 10 midweek matches of which they can show 2 games per night.

Not sure they've said which of the remaining two packages they've got yet.

Offline murphs316

• Kopite
  • 5 Star Heros to 7 Hit Wonders
« Reply #19 on: June 7, 2018, 12:21:51 pm »
Can't believe BT paid £90 million for the remaining package which is, one set of midweek fixtures & one set of bank holiday fixtures. :o

BBC are saying Amazon Prime members can watch weekley highlights of all the PL fixtures throughout the season.

BT laying off 1300 people and now go and spend £90m on more games, but is it not the split weekend and on set of bank holiday, ie they get all games over the weekends that allow in the winter break

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #20 on: June 7, 2018, 12:22:27 pm »
Think it's gonna get harder and harder to go the ale house to watch a match now, all well and good for Sky games, plus you should be ok for BT - but this Amazon thing, no ale house is gonna fork out for that.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #21 on: June 7, 2018, 12:22:44 pm »
One package is 2 rounds of midweek fixtures the other, 1 round of midweek fixtures & one round of bank holiday fixtures, 40 matches in total.

#Sausages

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 7, 2018, 12:25:06 pm »
Next tv deal in a few years i wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon get the Sky package.

Bezos wants world domination. ;D

This present deal is them testing the waters,if enough buy the games they will go all in for the big package when they are up for auction.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 7, 2018, 12:43:40 pm »
Next tv deal in a few years i wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon get the Sky package.

Bezos wants world domination. ;D

This present deal is them testing the waters,if enough buy the games they will go all in for the big package when they are up for auction.

I think Netflix will be bidding on the next deal too.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: June 7, 2018, 12:45:22 pm »
Think the structure of the packages will have to change to get the streaming companies bidding big money. Imagine they'd want to offer more choice of games at the same time to attract a wider audience.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 7, 2018, 12:49:43 pm »
So you’ll need 3 subscription services for the PL next year costing nearly £100 a month, think I’ll stick to streams cheers.

20 games for 2 fixtures, midweek and a bank holiday is hardly anything to write home about but you know they’ll be coming back for a bigger slice of the pie.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2018, 01:46:34 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: June 7, 2018, 12:54:25 pm »
Fuck 'em the greedy c*nts, jarg box all the way

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #27 on: June 7, 2018, 01:11:40 pm »
Be interesting to see what team they draft in to host.

Return of Keys and Gray?

Offline KOP1975

• Feb 5: “Hurt the pockets of the club not the team on the pitch as the team needs all the help it can get right now.” Feb 7: “i never want to see Sakho-shit ever play for us again. He needs to be binned big time.” <— 'Helping' the team....?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: June 7, 2018, 01:13:41 pm »
The irony that ill be streaming games via Kodi on an Amazon fire stick......

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #29 on: June 7, 2018, 01:13:50 pm »
Be interesting to see what team they draft in to host.

Return of Keys and Gray?

Clarkson is fulling their quote of fat ageing racists.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #30 on: June 7, 2018, 01:15:14 pm »
So that's yet another expensive subscription needed if you want to watch televised matches every round of games. And they wonder why illegal streaming is so prominent ::)
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #31 on: June 7, 2018, 01:25:26 pm »
Don't blame the individual broadcast companies - the likes of BT and Amazon aren't doing anything differently to what Sky have done for years. Blame the FA for setting the packages up so many different companies can get them.

And if you really disagree with having to fork out then cancel your Sky subscription. if everyone cancelled the model would collapse tomorrow.
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #32 on: June 7, 2018, 01:29:01 pm »
From Chris Williams at The Telegraph:

More expense!

Less expense per match technically.

Amazon only have 20 games, that leaves you with 180 games from BT and Sky when we currently only have 168.
:D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 7, 2018, 01:29:10 pm »
What a load of rubbish.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #34 on: June 7, 2018, 01:29:34 pm »
:D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 7, 2018, 01:37:50 pm »
Don't really see the issue.

If you've got Prime already, happy days. If not, you're not about to sign up for it for the sake of two games.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 7, 2018, 01:45:36 pm »
Don't really see the issue.

If you've got Prime already, happy days. If not, you're not about to sign up for it for the sake of two games.

Will it be included with Prime though? They do offer add-on subscription services, like Eurosport, so it may be an additional payment per month.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #37 on: June 7, 2018, 01:48:19 pm »
Will it be included with Prime though? They do offer add-on subscription services, like Eurosport, so it may be an additional payment per month.

Far more likely explanation. None of these firms do things from the goodness of their hearts, they are in it to make money. I'm in Prime as well, but just expect it to be another payment. Not sure I would pay to be honest.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #38 on: June 7, 2018, 01:48:48 pm »

Apparently they have confirmed it will be included in the Prime subscription, not a surprise as they are trying to push that more aggressively now

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 7, 2018, 01:50:01 pm »

I wouldn't have thought so, not when it'll only cover at best two months of the season. Cant really justify telling people it'll be an extra £4.99 a month for the add-on, or whatever.