Author Topic: CL FINAL Real Madrid 3 v L’pool 1  (Read 236754 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
CL FINAL Real Madrid 3 v L’pool 1
« on: May 26, 2018, 06:49:55 pm »

Date: Saturday 26 May 2018

Kick-off: 21:45 Kiev / 19:45 Liverpool

Venue: NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium, Kiev

Referee:  Milorad Mažić (Serbia)
Assistants: Milovan Ristić and Dalibor Đurdević (lines) Nenad Đokić and Danilo Grujić (behind goals) (all from Serbia)
4th Official: Clément Turpin (France)

The Road to Kiev

Didn't I tell you all before the Hoffenheim games I would be back here writing the preview for the final in May? Didn't I reinforce this statement in my preview for the Man City games? Ye of little faith! :D

I have successfully bribed begged Tito Camara to give me a shot at RAWK's preview for the final. What does he need a silk sombrero for? Seriously! But this will be a preview like no other because instead of having to read through my spreadsheet of an OP interspersed with gifs of Mane ending defenders careers leaving them on their arse, we figured we would open it up to all the RAWK writers to each contribute their own preview piece.

Therefore, this OP will merely act as a link page for all the previews posted in this thread. I will be contributing later in the form of a countdown of the 13 reasons we are beating Madrid which will include a statistical analysis of the starting XI of both sides including the very first attempt at our own radars, produced by the legend that is JCB and myself.

But there is a time and a place for numbers, graphics and gifs of Gini "putting a little hat" on the Roma midfield, it's not now. Instead, let's get this started with a preview from a man who needs no introduction, "Eet-Wok" to his friends, our very own Eoin!

1. E2K
2. Nessy
3. Hellrazor
4. BabuYagu Intro, 13. Klopp, 12. Travelling Kop, 11. Karius, 10. Trent, 9. Robertson, 8. Big Virg,
                  7. Dejan Lovren, 6. Gini Wijnaldum, 5. Hamez Millynar, 4. Hendo, 3. Bobby, 2. Oh Mane Mane, 1. The Egyptian King
5. Mercurial
6. Davelast
7. Hunts Cross
8. J-Mc-
9. Scouse Neapolitan

Rafa Benitez
Jürgen Klopp(LFC)
Quique Setién(Real Betis Manager)
Rory Smith(NYT)
Paul Cope(TAW)

*As always, thanks to Capon once again for his excellent work in the preview banner. Man is a genius!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:40:38 pm by SP »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL FINAL Real Madrid v L’pool
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 06:50:35 pm »
As the final day stretches out like an eternity, some of RAWK's scribes have kindly agreed to join this endeavour to keep excitement at peak level. With that in mind, I present a mini-RAWK advent calendar for the eleven who it seems are highly likely to take to the pitch in Kiev.

Every day a few paragraphs will be added on another player and the journey they've had this season, and the OP will be updated to build one long post about the team that will try their best to bring home number 6. Feel free to discuss below as each piece is added  :)

Courtesy of SpanishAl, I present to you our eleventh (but not final) article...

Day Eleven - Mo Salah

A little less than a year ago rumour had it we were due to sign a player who had not quite made it at Chelsea, a cast off and a reject for want of better words. This was also the same player who, according to some reports, had actually rejected us to join the original plastic bastards a few years earlier. This was ‘pre-Neymar’ in the world of football transfers so the rumoured fee in excess of £35m was a lot of money and potentially a large chunk of our total pot. I remember tweeting at the time that I wasn’t that arsed if we got this fella or not, especially at that price.  How fucking wrong was I!?

Mohamed Salah has quite simply had the most majestic debut season I have ever seen from a Liverpool player and perhaps even the best season, debut or not (I'm only 25 before any of you arl arses fall off yer chair). I fell in love with Torres and his powerful play when we swept all before us in Europe. Suarez almost singlehandedly dragged us to a league title with displays that even witnesses to the wizardry of Barnes, Dalglish and Keegan were on the edge of their seats. But, for me at least, Mo has eclipsed anything I saw from Torres or Suarez and (whisper it) maybe even Gerrard in terms of individual performances, week in and week out. I say this because I can’t see where you can pick holes in his performances and his sheer volume of goals, for a wide forward no less, is elite level. He does it against the shit teams; he does it against the big teams. He just does it, every single week and on every stage he is sent out to perform on, a master at the top of his trade. The brighter the lights, the brighter he seems to shine.

I had set the bar for my judging cards at Suarez’s last season with the club and had perhaps been guilty of getting a bit carried away in claiming Mo had eclipsed Luis on a few occasions since the turn of the year.  It was still early days after all. The moment I knew for sure, in my mind at least, he had eclipsed that level was on 24th April. His former employers were in town and he simply tore them a new arsehole. This was a Champions League semi-final and he just went out there and toyed with them, like a cat does when it captures a mouse, constantly pawing at the face in an almost sickening way, knowing full he can end this when he decides.  And end it he did, Roma given almost no chance of a comeback after just the first leg. The first goal was postage stamp and left the keeper with no chance but it was the second goal where he had his moment that took him to the top of my list. Bobby had set him free and, with the goalkeeper bearing down on him, despite still being outside of the box he nonchalantly dinked it to allow the ball to trickle over the line, just to give the recovering defenders hope they could catch it. They never had a hope but as I said, Mo was toying with them. And if the two goals weren’t enough he provided assists for two of his mates, jinking and dribbling past any defender as if they were a training cone and this was just another drill.

Here are the highlights of Mo Salah season 1, episode 45:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ltd5JqbVaVw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ltd5JqbVaVw</a>

There is something Messi-esque about the way Mo plays the game, the same left foot, the same close control and the same fear struck into the opponents. That’s not to say he is as good as Messi, that would be far too premature, but if keeps these numbers up for the next few years then any comparison becomes more valid. All eyes will be on him next season as we find out if this is just the season of a lifetime and the ultimate purple patch. He has set his standards so high that he now must keep it up to appease the wider footballing public. If he brings home number 6 on Saturday then I couldn’t give a fuck if he hits 40 again next season. What gives me confidence that this isn’t a flash in the pan though is the way he talks and conducts himself. During a recent video with his (bizarrely) new best friend Dejan, he was asked if the game on Saturday was the biggest of his career to which he gave a response that it wasn’t, it is just another game. He focuses so much on the next game whoever it is and that is why he performs against absolutely everyone, be it cannon fodder or elite superstars.

You’d excuse a man with the world, almost quite literally, at his feet for being a little arrogant or cocky at times but our Mo isn’t like that. He comes from humble beginnings and has had to work hard for what he has become, something which resonates with the city of Liverpool and makes that bond between player and supporter even greater. You can sense the enjoyment and fulfilment he gets with every goal that puts a smile on the face of the person in the stand. Yet this man doesn’t just carry the hope of all Liverpool supporters, he carries the hope of a nation. And not just on the football field as over 1 million Egyptians proved by ‘voting’ for him in the latest Presidential elections in his homeland. The boy from Nagrig is certainly a man of the people over there and someone who enjoys sharing his fortune and talent with his followers, be that families in need back home or supporters in need of a break from the stresses of life on the terraces.

This Saturday night is the finale for series one of Mo Salah at Liverpool. Lets hope he’s saved the best till last.

Spanish Al

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Day Ten - Sadio Mane

Sadio Mane: Quicker than fucking fuck.

Anyone who has played football, at whatever level, knows it’s not simply an opponent’s pace that hurts you. It’s pace over 5 or 6 yards. Those who are quick off the mark do the real damage and inflict the real pain. No clever bending of a defender’s run and no proficiency at the do-or-die recovery tackle will neutralise the five-yard speedster. By the time you notice where he is he’s gone. You’re chasing a phantom. And speed over a short distance buys a player the most precious commodity in football. Time. And time – especially time in a crowded penalty box – means goals. Blessed be the Jet-Heeled Players for They Shall Inherit the Earth.

Sadio Mane has Jets on his Heels.

Another way of looking at it is that our number 19 carries an invisible pair of starting blocks on to the football pitches of England and Europe, such is the freakish advantage he has over opponents when it comes to accelerating off a standing start. You can see it (twice) in the build-up to Mo Salah’s crucial goal v Brighton on the last day of the league season. Mane is not an ‘active’ contributor to that move, and therefore he’s credited with no ‘assist’, but his stunning double shuttle, first coming deep towards the ball and then away from it and behind the defence, showcases what this player is about. He’s unselfish, devoted to the team and he’s quicker than fucking fuck.

Some people may now be scoffing at my “unselfish” description because they can remember two outlandish instances this season where Sadio appeared to let greed get in the way, and I’ll come to that. But first a little fantasy I have about Real Madrid.

Zidane has them at the training ground. They’re going through the Liverpool team, one by one. They’ve just finished with Bobby Firmino and, to be frank, the mood is a bit shit. A couple of players have lost all their colour, one has his head in his hands, and there’s a nasty, depressing, silence in the room. Varane is actually trembling. “OK”, says Zidane, trying his best to lift the mood, “let’s have a look at Sadio Mane.” He gives a signal to the video operator (a distant relative of General Franco has it happens) to press the button and a recording appears of Sadio bearing down on the Everton goal in the Derby.  It’s the one where he should have squared the ball for a tap-in for Mo and chose to have a shot instead. That lightens the mood. In fact there are a few titters. Then Zidane shows the next clip. This time it’s Sadio against Brighton failing to square the ball for a Bobby tap-in at the Kop end.  The Madrid players are laughing now, sensing a theme. Even Varane is enjoying the joke.

“Show us the next one boss,” says Sergio Ramos. But Zidane shakes his head. “That’s enough,” he says, “This Mane has no brain, that’s all you need to know.” Unfortunately for Zidane, Franco’s man on the machine is an incompetent and hits the wrong button. Suddenly the Real Madrid players are looking at Mane’s debut goal for Liverpool at the Emirates - the turn between two defenders, the shimmy, the line of fire he left as he blazed across the box, then the left foot spear into the top corner. Then they see the left-foot piledriver at the Annie Road during that second half blitzkrieg against the Man City Oilers. They see the gorgeous curled header that found the inside of the Sevilla post. Next up is the astonishing side foot volley against Spartak. Then the cool stiletto stab into the bottom of the Roma net. By this stage there are tears in the room and the dreadful sound of grown men wailing. Above the din you can faintly hear Daniel Carvajal screaming “I am not marking this man. Do not make me mark this man…”

A fantasy of course. Real are pros, Real are hard, Real take it all in their considerable stride. How many times in the last few days have we been told that, as grizzled veterans of three recent European Cup finals, nothing will daunt them?

Well don’t believe it. They will have never come across a player like Sadio Mane before. Few have. The power, the muscularity, the energy and the skill – all coming together in a body capable of moving at an express level of pace. That muck-up against Everton was bad. ‘Course it was. The Brighton one wasn’t too clever either. But Mane is not a greedy or stupid player and these were aberrations.  More typical is the boy’s awesome support run from our penalty area to ease Mo Salah’s path to goal against Arsenal back in August. Or the 60-yard run with the ball to set up Mo against West Ham. And the Brighton double shuffle I’ve already mentioned.

And we know one thing that Madrid don’t. Mane is getting better as the season comes to a close. This last game, in Kiev, will be his game. It will be his game. Everything is gelling at the right time, including the fact that the focus is more on Salah and Firmino, to make it so. If he were a Real player I’d be bricking it. But he isn’t. He’s a Liverpool player.

We knew he was good when he came on at half time for the Saints and turned the game against Liverpool a couple of years ago. He looked then, even in those red and white stripes, every inch a Klopp footballer. Harassing our defenders when they had the ball, moving like greased lightning into gaps as soon as his team won the thing high up the pitch, and generally making Sakho look like a sack o’ potatoes. Under Klopp he’s simply continued and developed. A familiar sight has become opposing players simply bouncing off Sadio’s frame. Arsenal stopped trying to tackle him this season, figuring it was more productive to stand off Mane when he had the ball than get involved in a tussle that was bound to leave them on their arses and out of the game. Roma came to the same conclusion. He made both teams suffer. But he’d have made them suffer if they’d chosen the opposite policy as well. 

And, of course, sometimes Mane leaves a team with no choice but to get physical. In the key move of the season it was Mane who received Oxlade-Chamberlain’s pass and decided to use his first touch to power between two City defenders at the Etihad. When a third attempted to barge him from behind it looked as if Sadio was bound to fall but, instead and against the odds, it was the defender who cannoned out of the collision and hit the turf. Mane continued with the ball, finally stumbling into the keeper. The loose change was picked up by Mo – who else? – and his little dink made sure it was us, not Man City, who were semi-final bound. Mane had made things happen though. He so often does.

Yes, there’s the indifferent first touch and, though it’s improved under Klopp, it will never match Lallana’s or Firmino’s. But it really doesn’t seem to matter too much, such is the fella’s recovery speed.  I always think back to that goal against Hull at the start of last season. The pass from Lallana was so miscontrolled by Sadio that it actually landed about four feet behind him. But even in a crowded penalty box the player had the pace and therefore the time to make good his error, turn, take another touch and then slam the ball into the net without a Hull defender getting within a yard of him. That goal, because of the error that came with it, ought to have served as a wake-up call to world football. The machine may not be perfect but it operates at too many revs for defenders to ever truly control it.

I strongly believe that Real Madrid are going to discover this for themselves in Kiev. I’m sorry about that because it means at least one of their defenders is in for a humiliating night and no one likes to see an opponent crushed in such an important game. But it will happen. And therefore I also believe that we’ll see Sadio Mane heading once again, as he did so famously at Roma, to celebrate with the travelling Kop. That was a great moment because it was so raw and so genuine. The flip-flops weren’t going to stop him and nor was the ‘police line’. To hell with the stewards and the impassable line of photographers. To hell with the stupid running track and the UEFA regulations. To hell with decorum and the absurd prices that come with it. Sadio wanted – Sadio wants - to celebrate with his brother and the rest of the Red Army.

Let it happen.

Yorkykopite

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Day Nine - Roberto Firmino

Picture the scene:

Another January window where Liverpool are inactive (VVD didn’t really seem to ‘count’). Another of the club’s best payers decides that their time is up and they need their ‘dream’ move to Spain so they can hoover up trophies. So far, so very Liverpool.

Who could we get to replace him and replace him immediately? Many names were mentioned and there was a feeling of ‘just spend the money’ amongst fans whilst various solutions were put forward. In the end, when the transfer window SLAMMED SHUT we were left with the players we had.

Throughout all of this, the manager insisted that he had faith in the group who remained but he probably knew that vultures were circling as Liverpool would surely suffer in losing all the goals/assists that Phil used to provide. Not an unrealistic assumption to be fair and there was some concern at how things would play out.

Klopp’s legacy was at risk:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/07/philippe-coutinho-transfer-barcelona-liverpool-jurgen-klopp-legacy

So anyway, we lost one Brazilian but his fellow countryman remained and has been front and centre (and on the left and right and tracking back etc) throughout this season. Indeed, it is a sign of how spoilt we’ve been this season that his current stats of 28 goals and 14 assists in all comps are almost playing second fiddle to our Egyptian King.

What does Roberto Firmino bring to this Liverpool side?
The Teeth
The hair
The celebrations
The goals
The assists
The willingness to work like a dog for his team

Pretty much every box ticked if we are honest.

And all of this despite not being a ‘traditional number 9’. I’m not big on the tactical insights but if that means he’s not Heskey or Carroll then, so be it. But the way we set up and the players around him on his wavelength, this is a player who thrives in our current set up.
Who knows how it could have played out under Brendan. (And I’m not taking a dig at him but football is full of those sliding doors kind of moments).

I’m lucky enough to get to a couple of games a season and it’s then when you really get to see close up how hard this fella works. Two stand outs for me this season are away to West ham and Brighton; both of these aren’t the most glamorous of fixtures and that’s another part of his appeal.

Jurgen agrees:  https://metro.co.uk/2017/12/04/liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-praises-roberto-firmino-for-annoying-the-opposition-7129953/

Like Luis, he has that hunger and drive to hassle and hary the opposition into submission. The shift he puts in for the team is phenomenal and it’s borne out by his stats which throughout this career have shown firstly the potential and arguably the journey towards the fulfilment of that potential over the past few seasons. Here’s hoping that progression continues in a red shirt.

For now, I’ll let the pictures do the talking:

I think Jurgen has been great for Bobby and their paths have crossed at just the right time in both their careers. We’re seeing a player who is so well rounded and has the both the freedom and the discipline to thrive under Jurgen’s system.

I’m sure most have read it but a great insight to how we scouted for him:
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/liverpool-scouting-secrets-roberto-firmino-158341

And finally, for your enjoyment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBW08DuOOhU

As we approach May 26th there is such huge importance attached to this game for so many reasons. Will we lose 3 finals in a row with Jürgen (I don’t even want to think it let alone put it down on screen!) and the January lads will be giving it the I told you so’s?

I’d like to think we’ll be seeing some no look spinning bird kicks, no look crane kicks and a ‘sweep the leg’ to any number of those Madrid c*nts; with Klopp and Bobby holding big ears aloft to make our dreams come true.

Archie

Day Eight - Georginio Wijnaldum

Gini, Gini, Gini.

His very name creates feelings in people, some can not seem to find a positive word to say about the lad, that he goes missing in big games, that he never scores away from home, that he is too slow, and that he does not attack enough... that he is not good enough for this side....

While for others when his name is called out, they smile and look at the balance and support Gini brings the team. The Calmness, the pass completion, his tackles and break up play, that one goal last year. You know the one, maybe you have forgotten it already. It happened last May on the 21 day. 45 minutes after kick off. Here it is, in case you forgot.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YJTf-sWcYqg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YJTf-sWcYqg</a>

In case you missed it, when he scores, he knew what it meant to Klopp, to his team mates, to the club, to us. He runs over to the Kop  beating the Liverbird on his chest. Our season this year, was made possible because of that goal. Because of Gini. And if that does not bring a smile to your face maybe this will.

So Gini helped get us Champions League Football for the 2017/18 season, big deal, we would still have to qualify. But lets dwell upon the importance of that goal. That goal might have allowed us to be able to sign VVD, Salah, make a move for Kieta, to be back at the banquet table, and now that goal has allowed us to be a few moments away from winning the thing for a 6th time. He is still a squad player for some on here. Are they right in that assessment? Or are they just undervaluing him and what he brings to the team?

He does not not have the creative flare that Lallana or Ox have, nor is he an energizer bunny like Henderson and Milner, always running around and helping to dictate play. Gini was picked up from Newcastle to be an attacking styled midfielder, or so we thought. In reality he has been used more as a fulcrum between our defense and our attack, our number 5 is actually a number 6. And I will stick my neck out here a bit, a better one than we give him credit for (and a better one than Can, in my opinion).

Gini effectively breaks up play, using his body to shield the ball from the opposition allowing us to maintain possession and or regain the offensive. He can also hold up the ball in midfield quite well so he can find space for a forward pass to our front three, a trait that allows Salah and Mane to use their pace to devastating effect.

All of that aside, perhaps he is a squad player, but a team that is looking to be in the top four and that is progressing towards the Champions League Final needs squad players. Needs depth. Needs players like Gini Wijnaldum. Gini put in heroic efforts during the Man City matches. He was one of the best players on the pitch during a tie that many considered make or break for the season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/G6DpRJIR4DI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/G6DpRJIR4DI</a>

But he does not score many goals or any away goals.

This is true, during his spell at Newcastle he scored 11 goals, all of which at home. Last season he scored 6 goals for Liverpool, all of which at home. Coem the start of May, this season well he had only scored one goal, which was at home.  His last away goal was scored in May of 2015.

So he does not score away goals...

Apart from that vital goal against Roma at the Stadio Olimpico that helped us secure the playing in the final.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oMGc-Ed_2q0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oMGc-Ed_2q0</a>

Maybe Gini just likes scoring in Home kits, well he will get his chance again in a few days time. We are going to Kiev, wearing our home colours, and we are looking to bring home Ol' Big Ears once again.

Crimson Tank

Day Seven- James Milner

James Milner - The World's Most Interesting Footballer

Although playing at a senior level for close to a decade, relatively successfully, through spells at Leeds, Newcastle and Villa, there was a vague sense of a talent unfulfilled, of trophies not won. Had one of England’s brightest prospects been over looked by the country’s top clubs in favour of the next shiny talent from the continent? The next chapter in James’ story brought about one of the most unlikely of unions. The moneymen came calling! City, despite the size of their balance sheet, were struggling to land the big names and their attempts to buy the league were stalling. They’d previously looked overseas, at the exotic, but in 2009 we saw a sea change, they started to buy wholesale from the Premiership, “proven talent”. They were looking to build a base of a side they could add to, rather than just throwing a gloved Brazilian up front and expecting it to click. In the summer of 2010 one of the last to be bought in under this policy was James Milner. James and City went on to win two league titles and an FA Cup in the 5 years that followed. At that stage in his career it would have been easy for a player to sit back, bask in his achievements and the huge salary, sign another deal and see out his playing days on the periphery of the side, picking up the accolades as his went.

That’s not our James Milner though, there was still a drive, a burning desire to prove his ability, to take on new challenges. Despite assurances over playing time and the offer of more money to stay at City he chose instead to join us. In a day and age when money truly dictates the game, it was a bold statement and one noted by even those with the briefest interest in football.

It’s an interesting side note that some questioned the wisdom of this free transfer. The kind amongst us may say these worriers were scarred from previous experiences, of inadequate players on huge wages, a huge millstone around the neck of the club’s ability to compete financially. Would he prove his doubters wrong?

Having been at the club barely a month, James was given the vice captaincy. He’d fast demonstrated the type of player he was on the pitch and the calibre of professional he was off it. Arriving hours before training to get his nutrition right, staying late to help youngsters and a vocal, positive presence in the dressing room. He was and remains every bit the role model he is an elite athlete.

During his first year at the club, despite his desire to play in the centre, James struggled to make a position his own. Principally being deployed on the right of midfield, more often than not in an advanced role, nothing really stuck. He became a utility player, an omnitool, plugging gaps in the side as and when they arose. The following season it was his utility, ability/willingness to adapt and brute endeavour, coupled with a certain Spaniard’s inability to find consistent form that led to him becoming one of the best left backs in the league. His defending at times certainly lacked finesse, some would argue that’s what was required right then, but in his positional awareness, at times, he throws off the shadow of a certain Lucas Leiva. Many thought the season would catch up with him, could a player his age really play an entire season at full back? It was his consistent youthful energy that gave the reply, outrunning team mates a decade younger, the glee of playing the game etched clearly in his face for all to see!

The current season has seen him switch back permanently into a triumvirate at the centre of midfield. All the qualities that had served him so well over the years were still there in abundance, drive and tenacity, coupled with great technical ability but there’s something more now. There’s a self-belief, a confidence, based in the experience of a winner. In a season full of standout performers, of record breaking stars, he’s gone about his business in typical Milner style, unassuming but potent, boringly effective!

There aren’t many born in ’86 still plying their trade at the highest echelons of the game. Whilst some relish in the fun that James has riffing on his public persona, his “early to bed” antics, he’s genuinely reaping the benefits of a life lived in the slow lane. Eat well, early to bed, early to rise, his body’s a temple, even his favourite soft drink has no added sugar. Good on him, many in his profession get caught foul, some don’t see the warnings before their career’s on the scrapheap. Thankfully for us he saw every potential folly on the horizon and with a steely look and a steady hand, he navigated them all.

Simply put and matter of fact, he’s a proud Yorkshireman and a proud Englishman. James may have hung up his international boots for a multitude of reasons, it can’t have been an easy decision to make (and one which recent performances have left the England management team wondering if they might have been able to overturn), but any which way you slice it Liverpool are the beneficiaries of that decision, arguable contributing significantly to his current, evergreen form.

During his three years of service to the club he’s proved to be a free transfer you simply can’t put a price on, fingers crossed we get to see him celebrating on Saturday with a Ribena!

Titi Camara

Day Six - Jordan Henderson

The romantic in me finds it terribly easy to root for a player like Henderson. Someone who never had much fanfare surrounding him when he was coming through at Sunderland - at least to an outsider - and then was bought in the summer of 2011 at the age of 21 by Liverpool, alongside Stewart Downing and Charlie Adam, that summer being a fine example of how best not to utilise a transfer window (along with 2014). Since then, he’s had to contend with criticism about his ability, plantar fasciitis, Diego Costa’s cowardice and almost being swapped for Clint Dempsey. Thankfully he had confidence in himself to reject that last one and instead is next weekend going to lead our team out in a Champions League final against Real Madrid.

It’s fair to say he still has to win over a few. Like the majority of footballers, he has his flaws and if you were to ask people the weakest areas of our team, midfield would be the first area the majority would state, and Henderson one of those names. Make no mistake though, if Klopp didn’t see enough in him as a player and as a person, he wouldn’t be here captaining the side three years after our manager arrived at the club. Personally, I think he’s a fine footballer but more importantly, one who understands the team comes first - he’s had to selflessly curb part of his game under Klopp for the benefit of the side and he’s done it without any complaints (this despite me wanting to see more of those postage stamp goals against Man City and Chelsea). But more than that, he’s the type of person I’d want playing for us, going about his job without much fuss but when he needs to, stepping up for the team, protecting his teammates - see him scaring off Diego Costa - or making a point of showing the club's support of Sean Cox whilst we were celebrating knocking out Roma at the Stadio Olimpico in a Champions League semi final.

It is true earlier on this season he wasn’t at his best and that, coupled with a stop start run in the side due to injuries meant it was a forgettable initial few months for him. Since he’s come back at the turn of the year though, he’s been consistently performing to much higher standard both domestically and in Europe, with his best performances of the season coming in the Champions League.

Our group stage started with Henderson’s inch perfect pass putting Moreno through against Sevilla to set up Firmino to score our first goal but it’s the knockout stages where him and the rest of the team have really shone. At Anfield alongside Milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain, we annihilated Man City’s midfield containing the talents of Silva, De Bruyne and Fernandinho, blowing this season’s league champions away. They were favourites of course but Henderson and the midfield were excellent, giving one of their best performances this season and showing not only do they deserve to be in that company but also sending them packing with their tail between their legs. We then bettered it against Roma and whilst we played a more direct game, it was without the ball where Henderson shone, harrying, closing down and dominating a midfield containing Nainggolan, Strootman and De Rossi - all fine individual players but they had no answer to ours. For all his flaws, Henderson was a big part of those victories and for getting us to the final. And come May 26th, he’ll have the opportunity to write himself into our history alongside Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson, Graeme Souness and Steven Gerrard. A long way from that summer of 2011.

Foregone Conclusion

Day Five - Andrew Robertson

26. Andrew Robertson
Nationality: Scottish
2017/18 CL Appearances(Goals): 5(0)

Raheem Sterling lasted 71 minutes. The savagery visited upon him in that time was like something David Attenborough might narrate. Blue Planet? Nah, this was Red Planet, and I'm not talking about Mars.

In 46 appearances across 4 competitions this past season, the former Liverpool player contributed 23 goals and 17 assists to Manchester City’s record-breaking campaign, an impressive haul good enough to make him stand out in a team full of superstars and earn him not only a couple of medals but a PFA Young Player of the Year nomination as well. However, the only thing he left the Anfield pitch with in mid-January as he made way for Bernardo Silva, aside from the unyielding enmity of the home crowd ringing in his ears, was a booking. It would be an exaggeration to say he didn’t get a kick; but few, if any, were of consequence to a game that saw his side beaten, and soundly beaten at that, for the first time in the league season.

The main reason for little Raheem’s dismal day at the office was a young Scottish left-back nine months his senior who was relishing the opportunity to finally make his mark in Liverpool’s first XI. Roy Henderson, who once watched the lad excel at Dundee United, told us last summer, with breathtaking foresight it must be said, to expect as much, but Andy Robertson had to wait for his chance following his arrival for an initial fee of £8m from relegated Hull City. Prior to Liverpool’s trip to Brighton on 2nd December, he had featured in just 2 of the club’s first 14 games in the League (he played the full 90 at home to Crystal Palace and Burnley). His first appearance in this Champions League campaign was the 5-0 away win over Porto in February.

That limited number of appearances initially may have been a case of Robertson taking some time to learn the unique demands of Klopp’s system to his manager’s satisfaction, or maybe it was a reflection of the step-up required from 50+ Premier League games fighting relegation with Hull to competing for the top prizes at home and abroad with Liverpool; perhaps both. Whatever the case, once the momentum started building behind him it quickly gathered pace with all the blistering urgency of that memorable, rampaging second-half run against City in January — he started 20 of Liverpool’s last 24 in the League and his 3 most recent absences were down to being rested, a decent indicator of just how important he has become during the club’s run to Kiev.

Back to Aidy Ward’s number one client for a paragraph: such was the extent of Robertson’s superiority over Sterling in January’s 4-3 victory that it rendered Pep Guardiola, the first manager in the storied history of England’s top division to ever lead a team to 100 points and a two-time European Cup winner as a manager, utterly unable or unwilling to trust one of his most dangerous attacking talents to start in City’s return to Anfield for a Champions League quarter-final in March, likely out of fear that it would happen again. The decision to play midfield powerhouse İlkay Gündoğan on the right-wing instead was perhaps a self-inflicted wound on the Spaniard’s part, given that Bernardo Silva was available on the bench, but the spectre of Robertson was undoubtedly the root cause. By the time Sterling eventually made his entrance, the tie was over (and he still barely managed a kick of consequence, by the way).

I can’t say that Liverpool have never been successful without a Scot in the team (there wasn’t one in 1977 or 2005, for example), but it’s nonetheless comforting to have one now given how fundamental Scottish players have been to so many of the club’s greatest successes (not to mention Glenbuck’s most famous son in the dugout). It’s especially comforting to have one who can rampage up and down the left wing like this lad. Even quiet days at the office recently, in Rome and west London, saw him drop the shoulder and run past people like they weren’t there on a few occasions. He even found time to dump Florenzi on his arse in Rome and then dare his hard mate Manolas to do something about it (he didn’t).

It was a bit concerning that Victor Moses got some joy down his side at Stamford Bridge recently, but this lad has all the attributes to turn in an 8/10 or 9/10 performance in the final. He might have to — he will more than likely have to deal with variations of Bale, Isco and Ronaldo at various times across the 90 minutes, meaning that he may very well be responsible for curtailing three of the most talented attacking players on the planet in one game, all of whom have distinctive styles. And given how strong Benzema and Ronaldo are in the air, and the likelihood that Real will try to follow Roma’s lead and target Trent on the back post, stopping those crosses at source could well be critical.

It has unquestionably been a meteoric rise for Liverpool’s left-back: from playing in front of a few hundred Queen’s Park supporters in the Scottish Third Division and tweeting “Life at this age is rubbish with no money #needajob” to the Champions League final inside 5 years. The only thing guaranteed is that he won’t let anyone down in Kiev, not even close; but with his first goal for the club under his belt last Sunday and the likes of Alan Kennedy and Phil Neal having already created a rich goalscoring heritage for Liverpool full-backs in European Cup finals, who knows what else Liverpool’s no. 26 might do on the 26th?

E2K

Day Four - Virgil Van Dijk

Good things come to those who wait.

We had to wait a very long time for this guy, I would argue our defence hasn’t been what it should be since probably 2009 when Pepe Reina had Sami Hyypia, Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Jamie Carragher in front of him.

It was about this time last year rumours began about the big Dutchman Virgil Van Dijk, although we didn’t manage to get him on board in time for August we did get a lovely post Christmas bonus, as we chewed over another cold turkey sandwich and what we could find left in a celebrations tin, news came through that ahead of the opening of the January winter window Liverpool finally signed Virgil Van Dijk from Southampton for a whopping £75m. It smashed the clubs record transfer fee to pieces.

Money has gone crazy in football the last year, or maybe 20 or 30 years but last year in particular money went all kinds of mental, whats not mental is that the fee paid for big Virg has probably been a bargain. As soon as he made his debut against Everton we knew we had a player, confident on the ball, physical, quick, and a superb header of the ball, Van Dijk crowned a hugely impressive debut with the winning goal against Everton in the FA cup, it was as if he was there years already.

We had more than a defender, we had a leader, before long me and some lifelong Liverpool fans wanted him as Captain, that might be harsh on a certain Jordan Henderson but read it as more of a compliment for the big Dutchman and the difference he has made.

Sometimes it’s a game when someone doesn’t play when you notice how good they are, although Liverpool beat Manchester City 4-3 in January (the first team to beat City in the league) it was a very nervy end as a comfortable 4-1 lead became a nervy squeaky bum time(get well soon Fergie) 4-3 lead.

Would this have been so nervy had Van Dijk played that day?
NO

Exhibit A: Liverpool play City again at Anfield and amid a series of mesmerizing attacks they are again 3 goals up. Surely City will get an away goal right? Ok Dejan Lovren deserved credit for turning into a hybrid of Sami Hyypia and Alan Hansen over two legs but a lot was down to the leadership of big Virg.

Exhibit B: ok not quite as strong as A but the second leg against City, Virgil showed defensive fragility is hopefully a thing of the past, ok he was at fault for the City goal in the first minute but in the past surely we would have crumbled? The good thing with him is when or if he makes a mistake he doesn’t dwell on it, he restarts, he forgets, he moves on and gets the job done.

To be fair we were shitting ourselves most of the first half but would we have conceded more with VVD out? The answer is a very definite yes.

Would we have been in the final if he wasn't around? Probably not!

Would we be confident playing Madrid without him? Hell no!

Good things come to those who wait. Jurgen Klopp wanted this guy more than anything, when it was clear he wasn’t coming last summer you get the feeling Liverpool managers in the past would have gone to an alternative cheaper not as good option. Instead we waited for the dust to settle and waited for our number 1 target, the reward is a place in the final.

No disrespect to any other player who played their part getting us to the final but speaking on VVD alone we wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for him.
The 75m will be repaid in one fell swoop should Virgil clasp his gargantuan hands on ol big ears on May 26th.

Hellrazor

Day Three - Dejan Lovren

Degsy Lovren, for some a part time pantomime villain, but for me a sign of all that is best in our side.

He’s a fighter, and he overcomes the adversity he’s faced with time and time again.

We all know that Degan started his life in difficult circumstances.  At the age of three he left his home in Croatia to move to Germany, and it was in Germany that he and his brother jones their talents that would eventually lead to them becoming professional footballers. More traumatic was his return to Croatia at the age of 10. A Croatian who struggled to speak Croatian is an easy target for kids at school, it took him time to overcome this stigmatism, but his Germanic character helped him overcome these challenges.  At a relatively young age he broke into the Dinamo Zagreb first team and played with his boyhood idol in central defence.  Champions league winner Igor Biscan a name he holds more fondly than many of us!

Highly rated as a youth player he chose Lyon over Chelsea identifying the chance of first team football as key to his future.  But he faced stern criticism at Lyon, he was mocked for because of the large fee paid for him. €10m for a 20 year old who did not quite reach the hopes the fans had of such a big signing. At one point it became so bad that had to issue a press release to counter the negativity in the press.  Once again though he beat the odds and fought back.  A move to Southampton beckoned and his excellent performances won him a move to the mighty reds.

Again, Lovren has faced criticism from fans.  Often blamed for defensive lapses, and slack marking from corners, he was held in much lower stock by many fans than his partner Sakho. But his never say die attitude and fighting approach certainly won him one fan. The arrival of Klopp in October 2015 certainly signaled a revival in his Liverpool fortunes.   Whilst the team leaked goals, Degsy lead on the front foot, flying into tackles (sometimes recklessly!) he was a central part of our Europa League final squad.  He provided one of my highlights as a Liverpool supporter. He thumping header against Dortmund propelling is into the Europa league final in great style.  A moment few will forget, and a moment where Degsy put aside his doubts and rose to the occasion.

Degsy does of course have self doubt. He’s so strong, quite quick, and is excellent in the air, yet he does doubt himself. His attributes do not differ significantly from Van Dijk, but big Virg doesn’t give a fuck whilst Degsy genuinely cares.  That he does is his biggest strength (and maybe his greatest weakness?), but it has helped him to overcome the adversities in his life at every step.

Of course the Spurs match happened.  When he has a bad one, he really has a bad one, hauled off with his confidence shot, many players would have seen their time at the club finished.  But not Degsy. He fought.  He challenged. And he won.  Of course he still gets stuck. against Chelsea he was unfairly criticised for not wining the header for their goal. Big Virg was more at fault, but as ever, Degsy drew the ire of the fans. 

Lovren isn’t a perfect player, he isn’t the greatest centre back we’ve ever had... but in this side of fighters, he’s the perfect fit. A man who’s fought back from adversity time and time again and a man who performs when it really really matters.
It’s very easy to put the improvement in our defence down to the arrival of big Virg. But since that Spurs game we’ve had the best defence in the league... and he’s the one who has played in it the most.  Figure that out.

On the road to Kiev, Lovren has been resolute.  Against city he was imperious, nothing getting past him and when defending on the front foot he broke up so many attacks. He was perhaps the hero of he second leg.  Whilst Salah, Bobby and Chamberlin stole the limelight, his resistance perhaps changed the course of the tie with so many interceptions.  It’s unfashionable to say it, but we probably wouldn’t be in the final without him.

He has the world’ most difficult job in many ways. Playing central defence in a team that attacks in such numbers can surely never be easy,.

It’s easy to fall for players like Suarez or Coutinho but inevitably when the going gets tough they bugger off to sunnier climbs.
But give me a battling Lovren any day. He’s a man to fight your corner, a man to seize the day, and a man who absolutely lives with emotion we all feel as fans.  We’re on the road to Kiev with Degsy Lovren, and it feels great.

Tepid T20

Day Two - Trent Alexander-Arnold

So it's day two of the road to Kiev, we're not quite in the juicy garlic butter middle of the Kiev, we're still on the breadcrumby outside, so let's talk about someone who 12 months ago would have been on the outside-looking-in, Terence Trent D'Arby.

We'd all heard of this young lad thanks to Stevie Gerrard writing about him in his autobiography:

Quote from: Steven GerrardWhich makes us pretty damn optimistic about this lad. A scouser (we need more of those in the team), youthful and energetic, the sky is the limit for this lad, right?

It all started so well too, having the grapefruits to step up in our important champions league qualifier against Hasslefhoff, and slamming in the free kick when he really had no right to do so. Was this going to be the start of something special, or another Andre Wisdom vs Young Boys?

What followed was a number of assured performances, switching with our other young English full back, Joseph Gomez, Trent would spend some time lining up for us in the Premier league, some for the U23s and some in the Champions League, and without a doubt has given his all in every game. Its clear that he loves playing for Liverpool FC the way one of us would, only with talent.

But doubt does exist, if not for his application, then perhaps his abilities. We don't need reminding that he is only 13 years old, a young buck at the start of a long career. Jamie Carrragher has tipped him to break the all tike appearance record, and many are calling for him to be called up to the England squad (not me, fuck England. We're scouse). Has it all come too soon?

It looked that way. 10 March 2018, we take a quick trip down the M62 (that's route 66 to our American fans) to Old Trafford, the scene of Trents debut last year, and employer of his uncle John Alexander. Trent lining up against another young English hopeful, Marcus Rashford. Let's not mince our words, Rashford has Trent on toast for breakfast that day. Both goals came down his side, and the fans called for him to be taken out of the team, given a rest, a break. We had Manchester City, the oily slave trade mercenary bastards, in the Champions League, £8,000,000,000 worth of strikers against our teenage rake? Only an absolute madman would leave him in for that.

And leave him in he did! Leroy Jenkins could not get past him, tackle after tackle, pass after pass, tracking back, running forward, Trent had the game of his life. Many peoples man of the match, even EA recognised him with a special blue Trent Alexander Arnold card in their video game behemoth Fifa 18. Let's not forget that ball over the top to a admittedly offside Salah that resulted in a goal.

So Trent kept his place, on merit of course, for the next round against Roma. He firmly cemented himself as number one right back. Nathaniel Clyne came back from injury, has to sit on the sides and watch. There is no doubt that TAA is Liverpools first choice right back.

And you know what that means? On 26 May 2018 a 19 year old skinny scouser from West Derby is going to walk out onto the pitch for the Champions League final. He's going to have to keep preening c*nt Cristiano Ronaldo quiet, he's going to have Marcelo bombing down his wing all pace and hair. He's going to have a lorra lorra work to do. And if he can do it, he'll be a fucking legend for the rest of his life.

Jake

Day One - Loris Karius

It's been quite a season for our number 1. When our players trudged out for the first game of the season, Simon Mignolet was between the sticks, the man who for the last few seasons has more or less been our established keeper. Karius' spell in the side in 2016/2017, his debut season at the club, hadn't inspired huge confidence in the young German. Having muscled Migs out of the way in October, he'd been dropped again by January after some shaky performances, earning criticism from pundits and fans alike. Some suggested Danny Ward might be a better backup for Mignolet this season, with speculation that Karius might benefit from a loan back to Germany or even an early exit from the club. Few seemed confident that Mignolet, Karius or Ward were long term solutions to our goalkeeping situation.

But Mignolet's ongoing issues (mistakes, a lack of aerial ability, issues with the ball at his feet) never quite went away and it seemed inevitable that Karius would get another chance to stake his claim this season. Initially used in cups and in Europe, Karius had become Liverpool's league keeper by the turn of 2018 (with Mignolet switching to the alternate role from our game against Manchester City) before becoming the undisputed first choice in all competitions, made clear when he was selected for our matches against Porto.

Whilst the switch may have had its origins in Mignolet's inconsistent performances, that he kept his spot was down to a marked improvement in Karius. Seeming far more settled than he had last season, our number 1 has in recent months made the position his own. Undoubtedly assisted by Liverpool enjoying a more settled defence following Virgil Van Dijk's January arrival, Karius has achieved 10 clean sheets in his 19 league appearances (a rate that had it been repeated for another 19 games would have been enough for the golden gloves award) and not making a single error leading to a goal.

His increased confidence is evident when you see him play, launching himself to punch away dangerous crosses and making superb saves (arguably his strongest skillset). He's far from perfect, and his awkward save from Kolarov's early strike against Roma left fans with their hearts in their mouths. But the key factor? It was still a save. His improvement has even led to an ebbing in the absolute certainty of many that we would look to sign a new goalkeeper this summer, with his opposite number in the Roma games Alisson having being the most consistently linked option. He has the record for most clean sheets in the Champions League this season (no mean feat in a team with a questionable defensive record before January, and an attacking style all season) as well as being the keeper involved in the highest number of victories.

Whatever happens this summer (and indeed in Kiev) Karius deserves huge credit for bouncing back after a difficult start to his Anfield career, seizing his opportunity, making the position his own and putting in some good, consistent performances which with his defensive colleagues have provided the platform from which this team has outfought and outgunned every opponent.

JerseyKopite

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 06:52:00 pm »

W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 06:52:35 pm »
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 07:07:35 pm »
Win or lose tonight, we should all remember this..

If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t walk run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.

We will keep moving....
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 07:11:01 pm »
W

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 07:21:34 pm »
Bit of a tradition
How long for them sausages?

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 07:42:17 pm »
So the teams come out onto the pitch to a massive reception...
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 07:43:54 pm »
A moment to remember all of the RAWK family who we have lost along the way this season..

Sir Harvest Fields, fine but never forgotten.  Shine on you crazy diamond.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 07:44:03 pm »
So many Reds there despite all the problems. Take your chances Reds.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 07:44:15 pm »
RAWK body language update:

Real look more nervous.

Far more smiles from the Reds.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 07:45:47 pm »
Salah says a prayer before kick off.... the backdrop of thousands of Liverpool scarves being waved
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:35 pm »
0 We’re off.

Very quickly, Salah plays a little diagonal on the edge of their box, Mane is just short of it...
W

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:39 pm »
Good luck everyone! We are winning Inshallah... Salah Salah

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 07:48:26 pm »
1 Ronaldo has it on their left..... he plays it central and it’s chipepd into our box..  Karius dives to punch like superman...

It was offside, but what a clearance..
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 07:50:11 pm »
Pressing the shit out of them

:wellin

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 07:50:14 pm »
3. Real pressure by us, crosses into the box are cleared including a dangerous ball by TAA

Free kick to us on the corner of their area.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 07:51:24 pm »
5. Free kick form the right of their area

Milner takes and squares to Mo who is quickly blocked by Modric... interesting free kick
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 07:52:01 pm »
Made a really encouraging start.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 07:53:20 pm »
6. Brilliant from Bobby, gets the ball in the centre and plays a through ball to Mane.... 

He almost gets in before the keeper..

Now a flick in the area plays in TAA... the keeper just beats him to it..
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:21 pm »
Trent was so close to getting on the end to that.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:26 pm »
9  Mane bursts down the right, gets into this the area and squares it to their player... just... he’s just destroyed them...
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 07:57:34 pm »
11 keep ball from Madrid here...

W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 07:59:48 pm »
13. Close .. Robertson breaks in down their left, his ball is blocked but it’s ping pong in the area

First Mane then Bobby can’t quite get their shot away....

My my
W

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 08:01:32 pm »
Ronaldo still a selfish twat. Good.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 08:01:32 pm »
15. Bobby gives it away in midfield cutting Robertson out of the game... Ronaldo flie down the right and his shot form a tight angle goes over the bar...

The wrong option... thankfully... over to Jill
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 08:02:12 pm »
16 A very even game this so far. We've started really well RM showing a bit of fear when we have the ball.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 08:03:47 pm »
That's two unforced errors from Madrid now

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 08:03:53 pm »
17 We build from the back a nice little move involving Mane, Hendo and Bobby. The ball goes over to Trent but the ball gets parried out by Navas.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 08:05:01 pm »
19 Our pressing is so high that Ronaldo is going very deep to get hold of the ball, looks a bit frustrated.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 08:06:20 pm »
19 RM started to get frustrated and are starting to knock the ball long, in order to get out of their half.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 08:08:08 pm »
Heh heh heh

James steps on Carvahal - legally of course

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 08:08:31 pm »
21 The first bit of RM dirty play coming into play. Carvajal going down like h es been hit by a tank. Pathetic. Quick free kick but dealt with by VVD.

Then we break a really great move, but Mane can't quite get control of the ball.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 08:09:45 pm »
23 The closest we've come. A move started by Milner who passes to Bobby who can't get it in, then the ball goes to Trent who shoots but Navas holds on to it. They are rocking.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 08:10:43 pm »
23 The closest we've come. A move started by Milner who passes to Bobby who can't get it in, then the ball goes to Trent who shoots but Navas holds on to it. They are rocking.
Good save by Navas that

Ronaldo lanes being cut off so far

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 08:10:46 pm »
24 Marcelo has just had a right paddy when he didn't get the throw in, these RM players are losing their cool.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 08:11:36 pm »
25 Oh shit, Salah has gone down. He is holding his left shoulder.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2018, 08:12:28 pm »
26 He is back up, looks like he's coming back on hopefully.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2018, 08:13:09 pm »
26 He is back up, looks like he's coming back on hopefully.
Doesn’t look at all comfortable ... give him painkiller, heroin.. morphine.. anything.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2018, 08:13:36 pm »
27 Great run down the wing by Mane there, he knocks it out but it is a corner to us. Salah is back on.