Author Topic: Taxi for Owen!!!  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
Taxi for Owen!!!
« on: June 27, 2004, 09:56:39 am »
"I've not given myself a time limit about my future as long as my decision is made before the first ball of next season is kicked."
D'oh

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
Re: Taxi for Owen!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 11:05:51 am »
 ;D

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 11:34:46 am »
Not as good as him saying the other day that 50% of him was happy with winning but the other 5% was unhappy at not scoring  ;D Where's yer other 45% gone Mikey, no wonder you've been off form  ;D
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 11:39:04 am »
Thought you were on about his comments in the NOTW  ::)

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 11:52:15 am »
You mean the comment,which is on BBC sport text he would have to seriously consider his future if Steven gerrard goes,bye bye Owen it seems
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 11:56:52 am »
i read it more as he was saying itd be difficult to replace Gerrard (i've stopped calling him stevie now. i dont want to be affectionate), and he doesnt want to commit himself to anything in his future.

At least Owens never hidden the fact that he might not be sticking around, hes been straight up with us from the start.
Momo Is Boss

Offline Botswana Red

• Kopite
  • Title Chasin'
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 03:34:16 pm »
From the official site

OWEN IMPRESSED WITH BENITEZ APPOINTMENT

Mark Platt 27 June 2004 

Michael Owen has fully endorsed the appointment of Rafael Benitez as Liverpool manager and revealed his first meeting with the new boss went well.

Owen was away with England preparing for Euro 2004 when Benitez was unveiled as Gerard Houllier's successor but the Spaniard flew out to Portugal to meet with the Reds star striker and made an instant impression.

"Myself, Stevie Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and the Liverpool coach Sammy Lee met the new boss in Portugal and were very impressed with what he said," says Owen.

"He told us the direction he wanted to take the club and the sort of players he wanted to sign. Now we need to see that happen.

"I don't know much about the new manager as a person but I have played against his teams and been very impressed.

"We have been beaten three times by Valencia in the last few seasons — twice in the Champions League and once in a friendly — and they are a very well-organised outfit.

"After one match at Anfield, we came off the pitch having hardly had a kick. All the Liverpool players were looking at each other, shaking their heads and saying: 'This lot are unbeatable.'

"I watch a lot of Spanish football on TV and Valencia are outstanding. They are difficult to break down but very effective as an attacking force.

"I certainly have no qualms about his appointment, especially if he can produce the kind of success he has had at Valencia."

With regard to the possibility of him signing a new contract at Anfield, Owen added: "I've not given myself a time limit about my future as long as my decision is made before the first ball of next season is kicked.

"There have been no talks with anyone apart from Liverpool. Negotiations on personal terms are well advanced but that is not the main consideration.

"Over the next few weeks I expect my advisors will come to me with various contract options and we will sit down and consider them."

Sky

OWEN ANGER OVER GERRARD
Sunday 27th June 2004

Owen: Wants Gerrard to stay

Michael Owen has confirmed his unhappiness at the prospect of Steven Gerrard leaving Liverpool.
Anfield captain Gerrard seems to be nearing a multi-million pound move to Chelsea, but Owen is not happy at the prospect of his close friend departing the club.

"I think it would be impossible to replace Stevie," Owen told The News of the World.

"He is the driving force and such a strong influence on our team.

"Last season he was our player of the year by a country mile and it would seriously weaken the side if he were to leave.

"I am merely echoing what all Liverpool fans would be thinking by describing it as a catastrophe.

"They would expect the club to sign two or three world-class players with any money they received for Stevie and I feel the same.

"But I don't know what the future holds for him. As far as I am concerned it is just newspaper speculation at the moment. I hope that Liverpool would make every possible effort to keep him."

On his own future Owen reiterated that he will only stay if the club match his ambitions.

"I am not issuing any ultimatums or threats, that is not my style," said Owen - who is yet to commit his long-term future to the club.

"But I do need to be sure we have a team that can close the gap on the top two clubs. That has been my position all along.

"Myself, Stevie Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and the Liverpool coach Sammy Lee met the new boss in Portugal and were very impressed with what he said.

"He told us the direction he wanted to take the club and the sort of players he wanted to sign. Now we need to see that happen."

BBC

Owen fires Gerrard warning

Michael Owen admits his future at Liverpool could hinge on whether Steven Gerrard stays at Anfield.
Owen said any decision to sell Gerrard would be a "catastrophe" and wants assurances from Liverpool before opening contract talks with the club.

The England striker said: "I'm not issuing ultimatums or threats, that's not my style.

"But I do need to be sure we have a team that can close the gap on the top two clubs."

Owen has a year left on his contract and is due to sit down for talks amid mounting speculation that Gerrard will move to Chelsea.

England striker Owen told the News of the World: "I think it would be impossible to replace Stevie.

"He is the driving force and such a strong influence on the team.

"It would seriously weaken the team if he were to leave.

"I'm merely echoing what all Liverpool fans would be thinking by describing it as a catastrophe.

"They would expect the club to sign two or three world-class players with any money they received for Stevie, and I feel the same.

"I don't know what the future holds for him and I hope Liverpool would make every possible effort to keep him."

Owen has already met new Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez and been impressed by his vision of the club's future.

The England striker said: "He told me the direction he wanted to take the club and the sort of players he wanted to sign.

"Now we've got to see that happen.

"I certainly have no qualms about his appointment, but his arrival will not be the decisive factor in persuading me to sign a new contract.

"It's important to have a good manager - but it's just as important to have good players.

"Negotiations on personal terms are well advanced but that is not the main consideration."

Sign megastars...

Offline Botswana Red

• Kopite
  • Title Chasin'
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 04:10:14 pm »
I don't know what this really means, Michaels Owen's only spoken to Liverpool *for now* over the next few weeks he "expects" (has agreed terms with) his agents to come to him "with various contract options???" so they can "sit down & consider them" (note the plurality)

On Steven Gerrard (there I said it Steven Gerrard), while it's true that he was a driving force behind the team last season, one should always remember that...

1.  It's not always been the case.  In seasons like 2001/2 Gerrard & Owen did have injury worries didn't they?  But though they did miss the odd game, Liverpool still finished second on the league & was a few minutes away from the Champions League semi-final.   While a vital player even then, you can't say Steve "drove the team" singlehandedly; another good player would have easily replaced him & we'd still have finished second ahead of the then three-times-in-a-row champions Manchester United.

2. Last season Steve drove Liverpool, but a lot of it had to do with the playing formation which wasn't suiting other players (eg Kewell), some of the players were not given a chance (eg Baros) whereas some underperforming players (like Heskey) were still fielded.   With the managerial/coaching department changed for a new pro-passing team ethic Benitez regime, even if SG wanted to stay, next term I don't expect LFC to be "driven" by an individual.

3.Next season, Baros could & should be on fire, expect Cisse to also tuck away the chances Heskey missed, it'll go a long way towards garnering points & closing in the gap with the dominant two & Chelsea.  Lacking a 20+ goal poacher has been hindering the progress of LFC, Cisse & Baros have both said they look forward to playing for LFC next term, expect fireworks.

4. The sale of Gerrard will mean money for a couple of world class talent to plug the defensive & midfield frailities.

5.Benitez has spoken on the need for the team to play as a unit; next season expect not just flowing passing football, but also team spirit & a great work ethic, playing for the club & for each other.   The era of a Liverpool that's based on a Gerrard that's "player of the year by a country mile" or an Owen that's heavily relied on for goals is a thing of the past now.  Even if Benitez brings in Aimar, Ayala or some other world class signings as promised, we should know that Finnan, Murphy, Kewell, Baros, Cisse, Carragher, Riise, & others are part & parcel of a side that's not about the single individual- just as Valencia were blooding that Malian youngster Sissoko & happily benching Aimar where needs be, expect Semmy & John Welsh to also have a run in the team.  The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as the Dead Prez rhyme goes, we need to work for self like ants in a colony, we need a type of game that's based on the common need, where everyone works & everyone reaps the fruits.  Selfish primma donnas should go to the Chelsea's of this world.

Conclusion:
  Owen & Gerrard should clearly let us know ASAP if they're leaving, we need to use money from their sale to replace with a few top signings so Benitez can use the pre-season to gauge his starting eleven & tactics for the new season.  Come on Michael, there should be a time limit.
Sign megastars...

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 04:24:12 pm »
Selfish primma donnas should go to the Chelsea's of this world.

Couldn't agree more.

Wenger is quoted as saying, when asked about Chelsea's ( and Man U's ) money,
"They can still only put eleven players on the pitch".

I want 11 men working as a team for the Red Shirt. Anyone who thinks they are better off elsewhere, for whatever reason, can go IMO.  :wave

If Owen goes, he, at least, has delivered for LFC over a longer period than gerrard and can go with head held high.

A lot of people I've spoken to have said gerrard's only had "one good season".

gerrard will go with head held high ( but feet held higher ).
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline SKITTLE

• Legacy Fan
  • One of the "older" brigade.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 01:43:14 pm »
Cancel the taxi for Owen,my cab got smashed up and is off the road.Things you have to do to buy a bit more time. Don't know which is more worrying. 8)
Been there,done that,getting older,bordering on part timer status. So sad but that's life.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 01:45:58 pm »
Those could just as easily be describing multiple contract options from Liverpool