Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 161512 times)

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
Re: Pep Lijnders
« Reply #840 on: August 27, 2023, 11:55:48 am »
He talked about giving up his salary if the Trent experiment didn't work. It hasn't really worked and we have persisted with it making loads of our other players appear to be out of form or that their 'legs have gone'. I think that's the reason he is getting quite a bit of stick.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #841 on: August 27, 2023, 11:56:55 am »
He talked about giving up his salary if the Trent experiment didn't work. It hasn't really worked and we have persisted with it making loads of our other players appear to be out of form or that their 'legs have gone'. I think that's the reason he is getting quite a bit of stick.

How has the Trent experiment not worked?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: August 27, 2023, 11:58:05 am »
We looked great last season didn't we?

Edit - I tell you what Al. I don't want to get into it because I'm a stubborn fuck and it will go back and forth for many pages and pages. Let's not do that to everyone.

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #843 on: August 27, 2023, 12:01:54 pm »

Aren't we unbeaten in 12 league games since Trent inverted? Maybe you're arguing we'd have even more wins with him not inverted but that's not a given since we lost 5 of the 12 games preceding that change.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: August 27, 2023, 12:07:10 pm »
Well if you kept on listening you’d know that in part 2 he called Dave McCoy a bellend.

:lmao :lmao

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: August 27, 2023, 12:08:09 pm »

It hasn't been perfect, and I'm skeptical about it, but I'm not sure how you can say it hasn't worked at this point. 

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #846 on: August 27, 2023, 12:16:04 pm »
We looked great last season didn't we?

Edit - I tell you what Al. I don't want to get into it because I'm a stubborn fuck and it will go back and forth for many pages and pages. Let's not do that to everyone.

Good point I am as stubborn as a mule myself.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #847 on: August 27, 2023, 02:55:41 pm »
I don't understand what the issue is.  I just listened to part 1 of the podcast and there is nothing in there that he said that was bad.  He's not giving away any huge secrets or anything people don't already know.  He comes across as very passionate about what he's doing. Is that why people don't like him or get annoyed every time he does an interview?

Yes, he comes across as a total blowhard. Maybe you’ve met people like this in your professional life or not. The ones I have are difficult to deal with so that’s why I said I could see the rumors making sense even if they are just rumors.

So a reasonable response from Yorky and others would be “No, I listened as well and I disagree that he comes off that way”. Fair enough. Instead you get the usual garbage in response. Oh well.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #848 on: August 27, 2023, 03:05:55 pm »
Yes, he comes across as a total blowhard. Maybe you’ve met people like this in your professional life or not. The ones I have are difficult to deal with so that’s why I said I could see the rumors making sense even if they are just rumors.

So a reasonable response from Yorky and others would be “No, I listened as well and I disagree that he comes off that way”. Fair enough. Instead you get the usual garbage in response. Oh well.

You're not going to get a "reasonable" response to your own post because your own post is pure unreasoned prejudice. Why should anyone waste their time defending Pep Lijnders from your own blowhard attacks. You've just said it again in this post. You've met difficult people in your professional life, they form a certain type you have difficulty with, and you've simply decided on the basis of absolutely nothing that Lijnders reminds you of this 'type'.

I suggest that this tells us more about you than it does about our assistant manager.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #849 on: August 27, 2023, 03:16:11 pm »
You're not going to get a "reasonable" response to your own post because your own post is pure unreasoned prejudice. Why should anyone waste their time defending Pep Lijnders from your own blowhard attacks. You've just said it again in this post. You've met difficult people in your professional life, they form a certain type you have difficulty with, and you've simply decided on the basis of absolutely nothing that Lijnders reminds you of this 'type'.

I suggest that this tells us more about you than it does about our assistant manager.

Really? What attack was that? That in listening to him I can see why people would have an issue with him? That’s what your response was about? Total joke.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #850 on: August 27, 2023, 03:17:03 pm »
Well if you kept on listening you’d know that in part 2 he called Dave McCoy a bellend.
Factual news podcast was it?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #851 on: August 27, 2023, 03:18:37 pm »
And what about all the managers that have been successful whilst keeping staff consistent?

Or all the managers that have been less successful after changing staff?

And Ferguson generally lost his assistant coaches. He didn't lose them through choice.

The reason Ferguson is a good comparison is longevity.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #852 on: August 27, 2023, 03:44:36 pm »

It totally amazes me that you find people hard to deal with. I wonder why?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #853 on: August 27, 2023, 03:47:09 pm »
Good point I am as stubborn as a mule myself.

;D

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #854 on: August 27, 2023, 04:04:39 pm »
Why’s everyone piling onto Dave like? In a thread about Pep no less. If you’ve an issue with Dave take it to the Dave thread or the FSG thread …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #855 on: August 28, 2023, 12:50:56 am »
Why’s everyone piling onto Dave like? In a thread about Pep no less. If you’ve an issue with Dave take it to the Dave thread or the FSG thread …

There's a Dave thread? ;)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #856 on: August 29, 2023, 10:48:05 am »
21 pages on our assistant. Impressive.

bet Jason Tindall has a 100+ page thread on some Saudi Arabia FC forum.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #857 on: August 29, 2023, 12:27:27 pm »
bet Jason Tindall has a 100+ page thread on some Saudi Arabia FC forum.

That's because of all the 'shushing' screenshots...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #858 on: August 29, 2023, 12:37:33 pm »
We’ve only averaged something like 2.3 points per game since we changed do it.

Disgraceful
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #859 on: August 29, 2023, 12:56:33 pm »
We’ve only averaged something like 2.3 points per game since we changed do it.

Disgraceful
Apparently Trent is an 'absolute' liability, and 'absolute' shambles' absolute, absolute, absolute. No good side to him whatsoever as a defender and therefore must be benched.

It's true that the ancients say: some people can't cope with having good things
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #860 on: August 29, 2023, 12:59:09 pm »
Apparently Trent is an 'absolute' liability, and 'absolute' shambles' absolute, absolute, absolute. No good side to him whatsoever as a defender and therefore must be benched.

It's true that the ancients say: some people can't cope with having good things

An absoshambles rather than an ominshambles?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: August 29, 2023, 04:33:59 pm »
Dave McCoy calling someone a blowhard. (He does have good points from time to time).

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: January 23, 2024, 12:39:08 pm »
Love listening to Pep's press conferences. His passion and excitement for the club and players just shines through every time, be it little snippets of details he shares re development, or a particular way we play, the individual players themselves and moments he shares with them or the lengthy rambles he goes on - skirting around multiple subjects as he gets carried away.

Listen to him talk about the benefits of the time "they"/"we" have had with the players coming through and how Connor Bradley, for example, knows his job inside out. These guys are making plans 4/5 years down the line at an individual, team and club level. The Anfield Wrap touched on this this week and it was such a valid point - the benefit of having joined up thinking all in place for such a period of time is really starting to show benefits.

The next presser, or next question, he's giving a, seemingly, baffled Vinny O'Connor an extremely detailed answer on tactical approaches and minutiae involving positioning and half spaces. Just a pleasure to listen to. I always feel educated after one of his press conferences.

I think he just comes across as absolutely elite at what he does and we're lucky to have him. For me it screams as a "boot room" continuity appointment once Klopp goes. Personally, I think Jurgen has already identified him as his replacement, or a potential one at the very least, hence the delegation of the League Cup press conferences.  That in itself ties into the joined up thinking and planning of development at a club level as well. Who best to pick up once Jurgen goes than the guy who was his right hand man? I easily get carried away about things like this, but it just screams modern day Shankly and Paisley to me.

Anyway - dreams and speculation aside. Great guy & great, informative conferences. Let's batter Fulham please.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:46:57 pm by wige »

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: January 26, 2024, 10:55:31 am »
Calling it now, Pep to be announced within a month or so

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: January 26, 2024, 11:00:08 am »
Hopefully not.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: January 26, 2024, 11:00:23 am »

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #867 on: January 26, 2024, 11:03:09 am »
The only reason I'd have had him on as manager is if it was for a season of transition in which we knew a year down the line we could get the next best thing (Alonso for example). Great coach but it's for the best he doesn't follow Klopp.

'Our identity IS intensity' - Still get goosebumps watching that, especially as he names Curtis and Elliot who were only teenagers at the time.

The only Pep I know  :wave
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline L.Suarez

• Kopite
  • When there snow hope, support.
« Reply #868 on: January 26, 2024, 11:10:20 am »
Steping down as a assistant doesn't mean he won't be considered for the main job.

Offline daniel.owen89

• Kemlynite
« Reply #869 on: January 26, 2024, 11:19:43 am »
Anyone else think with him and so many other members of the coaching staff leaving it means they have already filled the position, and the new appointment wants to bring their own staff?

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #870 on: January 26, 2024, 11:23:24 am »
Anyone else think with him and so many other members of the coaching staff leaving it means they have already filled the position, and the new appointment wants to bring their own staff?

Seems logical. Otherwise there'd always be people jumping on the "Pep should have become manager" from the first bad result.

If the club wanted Pep, and Pep wanted the job, he wouldn't be leaving. Ergo, the club wants someone else in who they have already identified and who already has a full staff coming in with them.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: January 26, 2024, 11:25:17 am »

The timing of that announcement does seem odd.

Could equally mean they are all following Klopp, who you'd assume will now pick up the Germany or Bayern job in due course

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: January 26, 2024, 11:30:28 am »
Steping down as a assistant doesn't mean he won't be considered for the main job.
Considering they have known since November. I'd be shocked if this were the road to him being announced.

Mass changes are afoot...buckle up

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: January 26, 2024, 11:33:15 am »

No, I think he wants to go and manage a club himself, but he didn't want to jump off and leave Klopp when he was needed last season or so. Seems good timing for him to go at the same time as his boss.

I wonder if the other coaches will stay with him for his next job.

I also wonder if he'll be back some day. Would make sense to get experience as the main man somewhere else first though. Following Klopp directly will be tough.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: January 26, 2024, 11:34:29 am »

Yes.

At the very least the wheels will have been in motion for a while. Think that's clear from FSG's history.

I honestly thought we had 'boot room' like succession plans in place, but clearly that was nostalgic nonsense in my brain.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #875 on: January 26, 2024, 11:34:34 am »
No, I think he wants to go and manage a club himself, but he didn't want to jump off and leave Klopp when he was needed last season or so. Seems good timing for him to go at the same time as his boss.

I wonder if the other coaches will stay with him for his next job.

I also wonder if he'll be back some day. Would make sense to get experience as the main man somewhere else first though. Following Klopp directly will be tough.

Didn't he try that already and then come back as assistant?
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: January 26, 2024, 11:34:53 am »
Assistant managers Pepijn Lijnders and Peter Krawietz, as well as elite development coach Vitor Matos, will also vacate their positions at the end of the season, with Lijnders keen to pursue his own career in management.

basically confirms he isnt getting a promotion imo

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: January 26, 2024, 11:35:52 am »
Pretty surprised he's leaving as well.  I thought for sure he'd be nailed on as the next manager with FSG's track record of hiring from within. 

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: January 26, 2024, 11:37:25 am »
So we are getting a full reboot in the summer. Just hope we get it right and build on what we have.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2024, 11:44:24 am »
Assistant managers Pepijn Lijnders and Peter Krawietz, as well as elite development coach Vitor Matos, will also vacate their positions at the end of the season, with Lijnders keen to pursue his own career in management.

basically confirms he isnt getting a promotion imo

Technically from the wording he could "vacate his position" as assistant manager and "persue his own career in management" at the same club....

Don't think that is likely though unfortunately.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly