Author Topic: Liverpool (1) v Chelsea (1) - 25/11/17 (Salah ‘64 Willian ‘85)  (Read 70835 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Shamlessly stolen from Hazell in the Pre Match thread - cos it's great - and I'm still lazy ;D

Liverpool vs Chelsea - Saturday 25th November 2017 at 5.30pm at Anfield

vs

After a solid few weeks in which we’ve put together our best run in terms of results of the season, comes a match against a side who, like us, have been inconsistent this season but have looked better over their past few matches.

Chelsea

Chelsea have a had a mixed start, defeats and poor performances against the likes of Man City and Roma, compounded with losses against sides like Burnley and Palace has meant their season hasn’t been as successful so far as they might have hoped, especially given that Conte won the league in his first season in charge. That said, their last couple of games against Man Utd and West Brom have seen an upturn in results. Unsurprisingly, these victories have coincided with their best players in Kante and Hazard returning after spells out. Their last match was a 4-0 thumping at West Brom although how much of that was down to Pulis' side's incompetence I'm not sure, I was too busy watching the Mohamed Salah show against Southampton.

Their transfer business in the summer has also been a bit of mixed bag, Morata's been a success and like Kante and Hazard, is also turning into one of their most important players. He’s come in and replaced Costa, done very well, scored goals and not brought any of the drama that Costa brings. Their other summer signings in Rudiger and Zappacosta haven’t fared so well. Ruidger hasn’t really made them that much stronger, although rumours are he’s now agreed to see self help guru Brad Goodman for some help with the mental side of things. And Zappacosta’s only recently been starting for them so. Still, it's early days for new signings - they can't all be Salahs. Ruidger and Zappacosta notwithstanding, they’re still a side with some outstanding players and we’ll have to play well to win, I don’t think anyone’s under any illusions about that.

Liverpool

As for us, well, we’ve been criticised a lot this season, some of it deserved, some not in my opinion but either way, it’s nice to write about us when we’re playing well and winning matches. Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Firmino and Sturridge are all now available, our midfield’s just gotten stronger with Lallana coming back, we’ve promoted two young players in Gomez and Alexander-Arnold who don’t look out of place in the first team and Moreno? He’s been excellent this season and is rightly first choice left back, I’m not sure many foresaw that in the summer and it’s credit to him that he’s done so. And we've won our past four matches but three goals. So yeah, things have been much better recently and these past few games have been relatively comfortable* so more of that on Saturday would be nice.

Past meetings

2012/2013 - 2-2
2013/2014 - 0-2
2014/2015 - 1-2
2015/2016 - 1-1
2016/2017 - 1-1

Since the Rafa days, this fixture hasn’t been as memorable (2013/2014 aside, unfortunately for us, for all the wrong reasons) and there hasn’t been anything hugely impressive for us at Anfield against these in a while. I would argue that the game in December 2010 under Hodgson (don’t laugh) is one of the best since 2010, probably due to the unexpectedness of the performance and result. Though those two charlatans had recently departed, we were still a mess on the pitch and went into the match not expecting much. But Torres, on the cusp of his transformation from goalscoring superstar to anything but produced a dazzling display, first collecting Kuyt’s pass to score early on and then receiving the ball on the left hand side of the box, shifting it onto his right and curling a superb strike into the far corner, leaving Cech flat footed. One of the best non epic swindle moments in an awful year.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3icndhuQ4kY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3icndhuQ4kY</a>

Last season’s match finished 1-1, Hazard’s dive leading to Luiz’s fine free kick but Wijnaldum’s header in the second half earned a point and arguably, we could have won it in the end too. But by the end of the season, we just about got fourth while Chelsea won the league.

Right now though, it’s a lot closer in terms of league positions of the sides and performances. Our home record’s been solid and I’m sure Conte won’t have his side come flying out of the traps at Anfield. As such, I think how the match goes depends on us to a huge extent. We might have to face another team that’s happy to defend and give us the ball, albeit one which is dangerous going the other way, something we didn't really experience against Huddersfield and Southampton. That said, here's to another 3-0 victory!

*Written after the Southampton game but before Sevilla, hopefully we’ll be high from qualifying for the knockout stages of the Champions League.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:13:21 pm by Tepid T₂O »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool (0) v Chelsea (0) - 25/11/17
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 05:27:21 pm »
Match commentary from Lady_brandybuck apparently ;)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 05:29:39 pm »
Evening ladies and gentlemen
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 05:30:52 pm »
Commentary may be a few secs behind, depending on the stream...
Anfield looking as beautiful as usual and YNWA ringing out loud. Come on Red Men!

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 05:32:40 pm »
0' Off we go on the ride :wave

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 05:38:44 pm »
05' Game is going up and down a bit, we are pressing nicely but a couple of mistakes at the back allowed to concede a couple of corner kicks to Chelsea. Nothing happened. It is refreshing to see Sturridge on the line up, then again I'm a fan of the man.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 05:38:50 pm »
Sturridge looking sharp here...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 05:41:02 pm »
Chelsea happy to soak up the pressure and trying to find Hazard on the break.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »
09' Mo shots from the outside of the box and misses, it went too high. The man is such a threat

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 05:42:29 pm »
Sliiiiight worry regarding our lack of pace in the middle.

Hopefully our tactics and positioning wins out.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 05:43:13 pm »
Well all is so far, just the final ball/shot.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 05:43:45 pm »
Chelsea looking to soak it up and hit us on the break ....

Hazard looking very lively for them...

Can’t see a 0-0here.
W

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 05:47:10 pm »
14' Brilliant counterattack started by the Ox, who passes it to Milner and sadly ends nowhere. I think my reaction was worse than Klopp's

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »
Crowd a silent. Can hear all the Chelsea chants. Normally when the oppo crowd do the Stevie slipping chant we respond with it...nothing today.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 05:49:55 pm »
I'm going to say it Moreno is working so hard.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 05:52:08 pm »
I'm going to say it Moreno is working so hard.
He’s got a big heart... whatever else is said about him
W

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 05:53:21 pm »
Excellent save from Mignolet, game is still 0-=, Chelsea playing the waiting game. It's not like no other team has tried that before, the unimmaginative twats

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 05:54:06 pm »
Excellent save from Mignolet, game is still 0-=, Chelsea playing the waiting game. It's not like no other team has tried that before, the unimmaginative twats
It was brilliant from Mings... 
W

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 05:54:59 pm »
22' Chelsea keep on attacking but Mignolet deals with it.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 05:55:38 pm »
23' I guess this is the part where we are on the ropes, but Mignolet keeps on doing a good job between the sticks...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 05:55:52 pm »
We are losing the ball too easily at times, and they are hurting us on the break with their pace.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 05:55:59 pm »
Pinball in our area..
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »
30. Free kick to Chelsea on the right touch line, we clear comfortably.
Pressure from them here...
W

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 06:03:45 pm »
30' silly fould at the edge of the area from Matip. Luckily it ends nowhere

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 06:04:00 pm »
32. Tremendous quality in this game...  Great advert for the league

Gomez and Salah combine and play it into the box, it goes near post but Sturridge just drifted the other way... would have been a clear chance otherwise.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 06:05:54 pm »
I would be surprised if we don't see Gini second half, he usually does well in these types of games.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 06:05:54 pm »
34 free kick to us on the right touch line on the edge of the box.. no chance we score form here with our record on set pieces.

And we don’t ;D
W

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2017, 06:08:30 pm »
Cannot believe how quiet the crowd is in a game of this stature.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:09:26 pm by 24/7 »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2017, 06:10:22 pm »
39. Some great play by Chelsea.. 

They pull us left and right and a ball across our area sees Alonso in who’s cross is cleared...

Nothing from the following corner..
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »
40.... lovely interchange to give Salah space on the edge of the area and his shot curls just left of the post
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2017, 06:12:50 pm »
Cannot believe how quiet the crowd is in a game of this stature.

Its certainly demoralising when all you can hear are Chelsea fans. We haven't managed to create enough, it has to be said.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 06:13:17 pm »
42 corner ffroma slightly deflected shot..  Mignolet rises to claim..

We’ve tried to break, but they’ve got back to cover incredibly well...  We need to get more of Coutinho on the ball.
W

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 06:13:25 pm »
'43 - just a gentle reminder - this the last game ahead of Carl van Riel's (Sir Harvest Fields') funeral next week - please help us help his family to pay for that funeral - we're already 63% of the way towards a £4,200 target at £2,680.

Here's the link to the JustGiving page - https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ripcarlvanriel

Many thanks RAWK - you're amazing :wave :scarf
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:15:01 pm by 24/7 »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 06:16:45 pm »
44 oh my... Humungous D plays the ball into the box and it so so so nearly breaks our way.... a leg stuck out at the last moment just stops us
W

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2017, 06:25:02 pm »
Its certainly demoralising when all you can hear are Chelsea fans. We haven't managed to create enough, it has to be said.

True, but by the same token the crowd should be singing regardless.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2017, 06:36:10 pm »
Might be worth switching Chamberlin and Salah for a few minutes
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 06:39:40 pm »
True, but by the same token the crowd should be singing regardless.

Don't disagree the lack of atmosphere is a big topic at the moment.  Something needs to be done.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 06:43:48 pm »
55 some dominance from us here...keeping the ball well and Chelsea dripping deeper..
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 06:44:55 pm »
57. Oh, close to unlocking the door there but the final ball is just just not quite there..
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »
56 Grear run down the right from Chamberlin but Courtoir slides out to intercept.. very very close to handling outside the area, but did very well not to
W