Author Topic: African Cup of Nations (AFCON)  (Read 137990 times)

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
African Cup of Nations (AFCON)
« on: September 6, 2016, 11:29:00 am »
As a born and bred resident of Africa, my view is that it's a shite tournament that should be reduced to a four year cycle.

It's played in crap stadiums, with poor officiating, overseen by poor administration, and has the added disincentive of a constant threat of the matches being disrupted due to misbehavior between rival fans.

The games are generally poorly attended and attract very little sponsorship due to the aforementioned poor administration, abysmal facilities and low quality footy on display.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 07:45:53 am by Alan_X »

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: African Cup of Nations (AFCON) - Shite or Shazam?
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2016, 11:35:54 am »
I'm all for it being played, we have the Euros, the Asian, COPA America etc but yeah don't understand why it isn't on a four year cycle? (In fact is the COPA?)

The other issue I don't understand, why isn't it played during the off season? Is it weather related or due to the domestic league setup in Africa?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2016, 11:38:14 am »
I'm all for it being played, we have the Euros, the Asian, COPA America etc but yeah don't understand why it isn't on a four year cycle? (In fact is the COPA?)

The other issue I don't understand, why isn't it played during the off season? Is it weather related or due to the domestic league setup in Africa?

Domestic League is such a grand word to use for club football in Africa (ok, I admit I'm biased 'cos club football is so shite in South Africa that it's barely worth following).

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2016, 11:40:10 am »
Domestic League is such a grand word to use for club football in Africa (ok, I admit I'm biased 'cos club football is so shite in South Africa that it's barely worth following).

I'll freely admit I have no idea how football works in Africa. I know South Africa and Egypt have leagues running, and would assume there are at least some kind of leagues running for the other countries?
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2016, 11:44:10 am »
No idea why it's every 2 years to be honest, seems crazy
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2016, 12:09:57 pm »

Yes the Copa America is on a 4 year cycle too. There was a tournament this year which was a 100th anniversary one-off.

I don't think the AFCON is a good indicator of quality. Seems Egypt win it every other year yet they barely qualify for the World Cups.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2016, 12:20:22 pm »
I'll freely admit I have no idea how football works in Africa. I know South Africa and Egypt have leagues running, and would assume there are at least some kind of leagues running for the other countries?
There are of course. Thing is, "Leagues" are badly run, badly sponsored and attended. I do believe though that these are teething issues.
These challenges need to be there so they can be overcome and it's getting better - although it takes a looong time usually.

I do admit though- the AFCON is really the odd one out. Heat and humidity is a factor in Africa throughout the year so I don't think it's because of that. If that were the case, the COPA would've also been scheduled that way.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2016, 12:23:22 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2016, 12:27:40 pm »
Hilariously bad, which is strange because there are obviously loads of talented players involved, I guess the pitches are a bit of a leveller

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2016, 02:18:26 pm »
Could FIFA implement a standard calendar? I.e. Major international competitions are played through the summer?

Offline joeey10

• Main Stander
  • Canadian Red
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2016, 11:59:05 pm »
Could FIFA implement a standard calendar? I.e. Major international competitions are played through the summer?

Whose summer? You do realize that January is the height of summer in the southern hemisphere?
The Road End is dead. In it's stead is the biggest aggregation of c*nts since the 50 year reunion at the Playboy Mansion.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 7, 2016, 03:49:10 am »
On a pure selfish level it's a bag of wank when we lose players of the calibre of Sadio.
choose Life.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2016, 04:46:55 am »
Hilariously bad, which is strange because there are obviously loads of talented players involved, I guess the pitches are a bit of a leveller

I think the fact that they have talent and get a chance to show it might be a reason why they do it so often.  There's a lot of talent in Africa, it's the funds, organisation,  and exposure that many countries seem to lack. An event every two years gives the chance for talented players to showcase their skills. The frequency gives more chances for nations to get an opportunity to get onto the big stage, and players to try to be involved.  With so many countries in Africa, and due to the infrastructure a limited quota for teams to be involved,  having it every two years means teams that fail to make it can regroup and sart focusing on the next tournament within months.

On a side note, this also probably keeps the respective FAs consistently focusing on goals that are right around the corner, rather then 4 years away.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2016, 05:24:32 am »
I think the fact that they have talent and get a chance to show it might be a reason why they do it so often.  There's a lot of talent in Africa, it's the funds, organisation,  and exposure that many countries seem to lack. An event every two years gives the chance for talented players to showcase their skills. The frequency gives more chances for nations to get an opportunity to get onto the big stage, and players to try to be involved.  With so many countries in Africa, and due to the infrastructure a limited quota for teams to be involved,  having it every two years means teams that fail to make it can regroup and sart focusing on the next tournament within months.

On a side note, this also probably keeps the respective FAs consistently focusing on goals that are right around the corner, rather then 4 years away.

If its to showcase players, wouldn't some sort of u-23 tournament be better? They could even alternate a junior AFCON with a full senior one, so the senior one would only be every four years.

Or have an African CL.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #13 on: September 7, 2016, 06:41:16 am »
The AFCON is not solely to showcase players, though that is a major side bonus.
As I mentioned, having a senior national side compete every two years gives possibilities for countries to attempt to get in and a more frequent rate, especially considering the vast number of countries in Africa. If there were only 10 countries, I'm sure it would be more feasible to have it every 4 years as they're all guaranteed to make it. Right now, only 16 teams can qualify out of 54 total nations.

Additionally, the football infrastracture in Africa is not in par with, say Europe. An u23 tournament would be extra hassle, without the prestige. People remember the winners of the European Cup, AFCON, and COPA over the past few tournaments, how many remember the u23 winners?

I think eventually, they will shift towards a tournament every 4 years, but probably when the infrastracture is there to enable more than 16 teams to qualify , and host nations that can manage that. In the meantime, European clubs will have to make due with their African players missing 3-4 matches every two years (and only if their nation qualifies).

It is interesting that the AFCON is now an issue for us, simple because of Mane. We're in a thread discussing the virtues of an AFCON every two, versus four, years or even if it's shite, simply because Mane may miss a few games? It seems the world really does revolve around us in Europe.

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 7, 2016, 12:06:00 pm »
Whose summer? You do realize that January is the height of summer in the southern hemisphere?

To be fair I was totally oblivious to that fact  ::)

I'd say as the majority of major tournaments are played in NORTHERN hemisphere summer (World Cup, Euros, COPA America, Gold Cup, Olympics) then we go for a June based schedule.

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: September 7, 2016, 12:28:47 pm »
To be fair I was totally oblivious to that fact  ::)

I'd say as the majority of major tournaments are played in NORTHERN hemisphere summer (World Cup, Euros, COPA America, Gold Cup, Olympics) then we go for a June based schedule.
Copa America is Southern hemisphere (except when the USA host). And the World Cup can just as easily be Southern as Northern.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2016, 12:30:19 pm by ArthurDent »
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Online stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: September 7, 2016, 03:52:06 pm »
On a pure selfish level it's a bag of wank when we lose players of the calibre of Sadio.

But we knew of the possibility when we signed him, and any other African players we've had.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 7, 2016, 04:02:59 pm »
Copa America is Southern hemisphere (except when the USA host). And the World Cup can just as easily be Southern as Northern.

Yet when are they played? In our summer. They don't go hang on a minute summer is in January and host the Copa America then do they? (And yes, Qatar isn't being treated as a "normal" world cup in this argument!)

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #18 on: September 7, 2016, 04:08:29 pm »
But we knew of the possibility when we signed him, and any other African players we've had.

And I'm sure the management considered it a negative, but wanted the player badly enough to go ahead.

And it IS a bag of shite - in terms of timing, standard of overall play, playing surface and facilities. That it's every two years is also nonsense.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #19 on: September 7, 2016, 05:11:44 pm »

Right that doesn't mean its not shit for us though

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 7, 2016, 06:38:44 pm »
The AFCON is played every two years for a simple reason.

Africa gets only 5 spots at the World Cup, out 56 registered members. That means their World Cup qualifiers are formed out of rounds and starts three years before the actual tournament begins. It also means that if a small team get eliminated from the earlier rounds of the WCQ, they don't have to wait three years to start playing an official match if the AFCON were to be every four years instead of two.

Now, it is not ideal, but the current format gives a team like Togo, the chance to play in competitive matches during the calendar years of 2016 & 2017 (they qualified for the 2017 AFCON) after getting eliminated at the 2nd round of the WCQ back in November.

The other thing about hosting it in January has to do with the African calendar.

Most African leagues bar the Northern Zone, start their seasons in February and end it in November with a break in the months of June & July. This has to do with the rain season in Central and Western Africa during the summer, where most of the continent's countries are located. If any of you watch the CAF Champions league during the months of June & July, you can see games played on flooded pitches when they should be postponed. In essence, doing a tournament during June or July means that few countries can host it while most of the continent won't be able to host the thing.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #21 on: September 7, 2016, 06:54:08 pm »
Yep it's a shite tournament,so are the Euro's & the World Cup too.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: September 7, 2016, 07:26:48 pm »
Any manager who complains when they have players go off for this should be docked points. They knew if they signed a player who represents a African country this could happen it's not like they say in December we will have the tournament next month.

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 8, 2016, 12:31:32 am »
Yes the Copa America is on a 4 year cycle too. There was a tournament this year which was a 100th anniversary one-off.

I don't think the AFCON is a good indicator of quality. Seems Egypt win it every other year yet they barely qualify for the World Cups.
Egypt can beat Italy when they are world champions and still manage to find a way not to qualify for the World Cup. When it comes to WC Qualifications, Egypt are really cursed.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 12:08:46 pm »
Rumours that next years tournament will be back to January/February  :butt

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1217400316037083142?s=19

AFCON 2021 will be played between January & February next season, reverting back to the typical month scheduling after last summer's tournament - relevant news as ever for Ligue 1 & Ligue 2 clubs. @Mansour_Loum indicates this should be made official on 15th January.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:11:25 pm by Barneylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 12:10:54 pm »
https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1217400316037083142

We could be losing Salah, Mane and Keita for up to 6 weeks. This is bad.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 12:17:17 pm »
https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1217400316037083142

We could be losing Salah, Mane and Keita for up to 6 weeks. This is bad.

Potentially Matip too?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 12:18:19 pm »
Potentially Matip too?

no. he doesn't play for his national team.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 12:20:05 pm »
no. he doesn't play for his national team.

Right.

Guess we need a contingency plan - would be a huge blow for us in a crucial period of the season.

Shit tournament.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 12:22:42 pm »
What's the reason?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 12:24:08 pm »
What a pain this is. Why is this needed every 2 years (18 months since the last one)? Not content with ruining Naby's season this year, next season is disrupted by this.

And that Club World Cup monstrosity in the summer means (if we're in it) we'll have to play all through the summer, so nobody even gets a break. June-July - club World Cup and then straight into pre-season.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:28:36 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 12:28:11 pm »
What's the reason?

Weather I believe
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 12:29:05 pm »
This is rather bad news.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 12:31:54 pm »
After seeing keita hobbling off for guinea earlier in the season at what looked like a local park pitch, Id love our players to have no part in this. Sadly that won't happen.
YNWA

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 12:44:18 pm »
What a massive fucking pain in the ass this is. Two of our best players gone for that entire period. Fuck

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 12:45:30 pm »
Welcome, Timo Werner.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 12:47:55 pm »
What a massive fucking pain in the ass this is. Two of our best players gone for that entire period. Fuck

Unless their teams hopefully bomb out early on! But yeah, absolute shite news if it goes ahead. Wonder if things like this put some teams off buying African players?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 12:49:32 pm »
what a mess this is yet again, should have know it was to sensible a plan for them to stick with the summer tournament.

Should be some FIFA wide ruling that these tournaments can only be every 4 years as well. 

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 12:51:33 pm »
Unless their teams hopefully bomb out early on! But yeah, absolute shite news if it goes ahead. Wonder if things like this put some teams off buying African players?

Not sure it stopped any club in the past.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 12:52:48 pm »
Not sure it stopped any club in the past.

Yeah, probably not, it would be a bit knee jerk, just a thought I had reading people's massive over reactions on twitter!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."