Author Topic: Sadio Mané  (Read 1764321 times)

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
Re: Liverpool Officially Sign Sadio Mané !!
« Reply #320 on: June 29, 2016, 09:50:28 pm »
Not sure about him. He has pace and is clearly talented but seems a little inconsistent. I also uspect he is Coutinho's replacement.
Internet terrorist

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #321 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:39 pm »
Not sure about him. He has pace and is clearly talented but seems a little inconsistent. I also uspect he is Coutinho's replacement.

I love the way people say he's 'inconsistent'. Did you follow Southampton and Mane's career and form closely last year?
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: June 29, 2016, 09:56:08 pm »
You think Phil is off do you ?
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
Re: Liverpool Officially Sign Sadio Mane !!
« Reply #323 on: June 29, 2016, 09:56:36 pm »
And the whole buying Southampton players thing is getting a little old :(
It sure is. Since when did it begin to matter where we bought our players from?

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2016, 10:17:15 pm »
I'm sure everyone's seen enough match comps floating around of Mane but i only came across his performance against Bayern yesterday and thought i'd share.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptDmL6eGq_w&feature=youtu.be

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2016, 10:21:41 pm »
I also suspect he is Coutinho's replacement.

Your suspicions are way off the mark.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: June 29, 2016, 10:40:14 pm »
Was I happy about signing Balotelli - no.
Was I happy about signing Benteke - no.
Am I happy about signing Mane - yes.

For once it's nice that were actually getting a forward player of the type that we need. Add to that he's a typical Klopp player and all things add up to this being the right move.

Offline Yevgeny

• Kopite
  • Believer.
« Reply #327 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:36 pm »
Delighted with this signing. Klopp will extract more from him than Koeman could. Can genuinely see him hitting 20 goals next season.

Offline jeremyh94

• Anny Roader
« Reply #328 on: June 30, 2016, 12:04:43 am »
Happy to see Klopp get a player he wants. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.
He has to be better than the last two players we signed who were from Senegal...

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #329 on: June 30, 2016, 12:19:24 am »
A "we'll see" type of player for me. I don't even want to know how much we paid for him because I'll probably want to punch a picture of Ian Ayre. Fuck, nevermind.

Over to you Kloppo!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: June 30, 2016, 12:26:31 am »
A "we'll see" type of player for me. I don't even want to know how much we paid for him because I'll probably want to punch a picture of Ian Ayre. Fuck, nevermind.

Over to you Kloppo!

Ian Ayre has feck all to do with the prices in today's market. [I'm not a fan of his, he's made mistakes but in this instance]

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: June 30, 2016, 12:53:35 am »
Was I happy about signing Balotelli - no.
Was I happy about signing Benteke - no.
Am I happy about signing Mane - yes.

For once it's nice that were actually getting a forward player of the type that we need. Add to that he's a typical Klopp player and all things add up to this being the right move.

This is pretty much how I feel. I have plenty of doubts about Mane, but overall I'm excited to see what he can do. I feel none of the gnawing dread that the Benteke signing brought, nor am I flabbergasted like I was by Balotelli.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #332 on: June 30, 2016, 01:02:47 am »
He's an improvement over probably Lallana for sure. But by how much? Will it be enough to gain the glory we crave? Those are questions I will only hope Mane has the right answers to and will not immediately expect.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:34:46 am by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline please stop 2016

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #333 on: June 30, 2016, 01:31:24 am »
I'm so happy to see us finally show of our financial muscle,
this could be our most significant piece of business, since Suarez, I honestly feel mane has talisman potential, especially under the guidance of klopp it's not to far fetched that to imagine that over the next 6 months, the foursome of sturridge firminho coutinho and mane, with there mixture of speed and guile could take us to the top we just need a top cb let's go out and get him 😊

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #334 on: June 30, 2016, 03:41:10 am »
Welcome Sadio Mané to this great football club.

Really excited by this signing for the reasons I've already stated in the PRATS board.

He's an improvement over probably Lallana for sure. But by how much? Will it be enough to gain the glory we crave? Those are questions I will only hope Mane has the right answers to and will not immediately expect.

I'm not sure personally these are really the questions to be expecting him to answer. He is a completely different player to Lallana and has attributes very different to those of Lallana, Coutinho and Firmino, so not sure how relevant it is to determine what margin "better" he's is to a different type of player, the point is he brings pace, trickery and goals from out wide which we needed and were sorely lacking. And no this one signing on its own probably isn't enough to lead us to glory but if it goes to plan should massively help (as should the new keeper if he's as good as hoped). Sorry to pick on your post, as I'm not sure you meant it this way exactly, but it just sounds a little bit odd to single out one player who's come in to bolster our attack and vary our options and say you will try to judge the signing on whether he will be enough to lead us to glory. Of course one player won't, we need the whole squad pulling in the right direction, Klopp to have a good 2nd season in charge - and a million other different micro factors will determine the success of our season.

As for this signing. Fucking brilliant for me, just what we needed and didn't have.

Eager to play for us and extremely welcome.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:50:44 am by LIVE-MAU5 »

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #335 on: June 30, 2016, 04:49:33 am »
There's been a lot of talk about Mane's goal drought this season. The type which "wouldn't be tolerated at Liverpool" (even though he ended up with very positive numbers in the end)

You might want to check out Lallana's last 2 seasons at Liverpool. In 14/15 there were 17 consecutive league games where he didn't score. In 15/16 there were 22 consecutive league games where he didn't score. (Figures include occasional games missed through injury)

While people generally acknowledge Lallana doesn't score enough, nobody was calling it a goal drought.

It seems like Mane is judged more harshly because he sets higher standards for goal scoring

Offline please stop 2016

• Boys Pen
« Reply #336 on: June 30, 2016, 05:06:35 am »
He's only young a similar player was the same in ronaldo, in
his first couple of seasons, I genuinely feel like mane under
Klopp can come close to that level, anfield is the ultimate stage
after all, it creates hero's he shall be the next I'm excited 😊

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: June 30, 2016, 05:20:34 am »
Welcome Sadio Mané to this great football club.

Really excited by this signing for the reasons I've already stated in the PRATS board.

I'm not sure personally these are really the questions to be expecting him to answer. He is a completely different player to Lallana and has attributes very different to those of Lallana, Coutinho and Firmino, so not sure how relevant it is to determine what margin "better" he's is to a different type of player, the point is he brings pace, trickery and goals from out wide which we needed and were sorely lacking. And no this one signing on its own probably isn't enough to lead us to glory but if it goes to plan should massively help (as should the new keeper if he's as good as hoped). Sorry to pick on your post, as I'm not sure you meant it this way exactly, but it just sounds a little bit odd to single out one player who's come in to bolster our attack and vary our options and say you will try to judge the signing on whether he will be enough to lead us to glory. Of course one player won't, we need the whole squad pulling in the right direction, Klopp to have a good 2nd season in charge - and a million other different micro factors will determine the success of our season.

As for this signing. Fucking brilliant for me, just what we needed and didn't have.

Eager to play for us and extremely welcome.

In a 4-2-3-1 Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana and Mane can't all consistently start for us (especially with our 3 player strikeforce), someone has to be on the bench and both for us and for England, Lallana lacks end product, in a way Mane's number suggest he is a little better at. Though a deep bench is vital.

I've heard before the suggestion that we don't need a super star to score 20+ goals for us, because Klopp. I personally am not buying it he had a single great season in 2010-11 where he didn't need that star player to obtain glory, but the current premier league is a much different beast than the bundesliga was five years ago. It's extremely competative. I was speaking in general terms, whether he can add enough to what we have, and if the others don't perform to what they are capable of then yeah it won't matter what Mane does alone.

Out of those four I mentioned we have spent the most on Mane and if he is a great winger that works out great because both Sturridge and Origi love scoring headers from crosses. But there will be a lot of pressure on him to deliver quality crosses game in, game out, and I hope he can deliver.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: June 30, 2016, 05:51:10 am »
I think Mane is the type of player we hoped Sterling would become. Pace, trickery, strength but with consistent end product in goals and assists.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #339 on: June 30, 2016, 05:59:55 am »
From Transfermarkt:

Position                  Games   Goals   Assists
Left Wing                  106      56         37
Right Wing                30        10          7
Secondary Striker      19         4           2
Attacking Midfield       5          0           0
Centre Forward          1          0           0

Don't know how accurate this is though as I was sure he had played more games on the right.

Get rid, Barcelona's going to want to sign him next season.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: June 30, 2016, 06:05:10 am »

In a 4-2-3-1 Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana and Mane can't all consistently start for us (especially with our 3 player strikeforce), someone has to be on the bench and both for us and for England, Lallana lacks end product, in a way Mane's number suggest he is a little better at. Though a deep bench is vital.

I've heard before the suggestion that we don't need a super star to score 20+ goals for us, because Klopp. I personally am not buying it he had a single great season in 2010-11 where he didn't need that star player to obtain glory, but the current premier league is a much different beast than the bundesliga was five years ago. It's extremely competative. I was speaking in general terms, whether he can add enough to what we have, and if the others don't perform to what they are capable of then yeah it won't matter what Mane does alone.

Out of those four I mentioned we have spent the most on Mane and if he is a great winger that works out great because both Sturridge and Origi love scoring headers from crosses. But there will be a lot of pressure on him to deliver quality crosses game in, game out, and I hope he can deliver.

That Dortmund team that Klopp had 3-4 years ago would have wiped the floor in PL last season.

Last season in PL was a "different beast" becoz its quality was poor which resulted in  competitiveness .

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #341 on: June 30, 2016, 06:51:08 am »
He'll fit in with us due to his workrate. Klopp's signings seem to be making a lot more sense than the ones made by previous managers since Rafa. We have already signed a Centre back, a goalkeeper, a centre mid and a wide man with 10 days still to go before our first pre-season friendly. I suspect there'll be more to come before we leave for the States. There'll be more outs than we expect too. But the way this team is being built, we should be strong and deep and ready by August.

Offline Plackie

• Boys Pen
  • Aye
« Reply #342 on: June 30, 2016, 06:57:46 am »
I've become a lot more optimistic about this signing the longer I think about it.
Forgetting his price, I think his workrate, pace and general playstyle are exactly what we need, and his end product can only improve playing with the likes of Sturridge or Origi rather than Pelle or Long. That's without even taking into account that he's still fairly young-ish (24?), so there's still a bit of room for some Klopp magic there.

A top CM and a LB now and I'll be pretty pleased with this window.

Offline fefs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: June 30, 2016, 07:12:24 am »

I think Coutinho would thrive off playing balls to Mane once he learns his movements, actually

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: June 30, 2016, 07:56:20 am »
That Dortmund team that Klopp had 3-4 years ago would have wiped the floor in PL last season.

Last season in PL was a "different beast" becoz its quality was poor which resulted in  competitiveness .

I am not entirely certain on this issue, but almost all teams where in a "transitional phase" last season and Leicester took advantage. I won't know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me if all teams are a lot less transitional this year for all the reasons said in the other sections of rawk.

And if they were all still transitional that would only help us if we can find a way out of our own transition sooner than later. 

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #345 on: June 30, 2016, 09:31:21 am »
I think Coutinho would thrive off playing balls to Mane once he learns his movements, actually

Agreed. Coutinho loves a through ball and Mane loves running in behind. 
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: June 30, 2016, 09:52:05 am »
Pretty pleased about this. Trying to ignore the stats so I can keep my feet on the ground as we have been burned before, but on paper this seems a good fit.

MY concern is how he will do against sides that sit back and negate the advantage of his pace?
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: June 30, 2016, 10:00:59 am »
MY concern is how he will do against sides that sit back and negate the advantage of his pace?

A very valid point. A quick analysis of his goals over the last couple of seasons show he's done well against the likes of Chelsea, City, Palace, and obviously us. Certainly teams you would class as playing more open.

The remedy? Put Lallana in maybe. For me this is exactly what Hodgson should have done against Iceland.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:07:08 am by DivisiveNewSigning »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: June 30, 2016, 10:01:39 am »
I think Mane is the type of player we hoped Sterling would become. Pace, trickery, strength but with consistent end product in goals and assists.

What was Sterling's numbers during our 2013/14 season? He must have been approaching 10 league goals and similar assists so in some ways Mane is at that same level so I agree with you somewhat. Mane is capable of giving us similar numbers  and just looking at Sterling's numbers back then you just have to shake your head to see where he is at now and hope the lad gets his act together as at 18 / 19 he had the potential to be world class with the right application.

In regards to Mane his success will come at a cost to another player as obviously only so many can start a league game. I really hope it does as we need the lad to hit the ground running and the squad will benefit as anyone of Lallana, Firmino or Coutinho will be a huge addition to have on the bench.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #349 on: June 30, 2016, 11:46:38 am »

You've obviously never seen Mané play. He just isn't that sort of player at all (thankfully).

Possibly not Sturridge either as I really can't recall him scoring many headers for us at all!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: June 30, 2016, 12:00:21 pm »
Welcome and good luck

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #351 on: June 30, 2016, 12:03:37 pm »
He'll fit in with us due to his workrate. Klopp's signings seem to be making a lot more sense than the ones made by previous managers since Rafa. We have already signed a Centre back, a goalkeeper, a centre mid and a wide man with 10 days still to go before our first pre-season friendly. I suspect there'll be more to come before we leave for the States. There'll be more outs than we expect too. But the way this team is being built, we should be strong and deep and ready by August.
I thought the workrate in defense was one of his weaknesses, according to Southampton fans' comments?
Also, he seems to be a "big game" player, which is great but makes you wonder about his motivation against lesser teams.

But I'm sure Klopp knows what he's doing. Mane is an established player with little to hide. Plus, we have a couple of former team mates in the squad who would've warned Klopp about any serious issues with motivation.

Curious how he will be used though. Looks more like a striker, actually a bit Suarez in style, than a 4231 winger to me.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #352 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:30 pm »
Mané, got away
Got a good job with more pay, and he's ooookay

DERR DERR DERR DERR DERR DERR DERR DERR.

Offline KennyJR

• Kemlynite
« Reply #353 on: June 30, 2016, 01:55:28 pm »
Great signing regardless of the price. Better than all the other average to dross that's been bought from southampton. Nowadays money is just a number for big clubs and us fans shouldn't dwell to much on the price. Like it or not the club is in a bad situation and needs to spend even more or there won't be any recovery for a while. Premier league money should compensate for any loss of champions league so there is no excuse for the club not to overspend on quality players.

What I really like about him is his pace and EXPLOSIVENESS. The team is currently lacking any aggressive attackers that can push forward. Lallana is a lightweight on the ball and is too fancy. However a combination of coutinho, sadio and firminho should be very aggressive and direct which works well in this league. What klopp needs to do now is find a good balance/formation for all these players. Preseason will be very good and important.

Offline jwill2127

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp is the man
« Reply #354 on: June 30, 2016, 02:00:25 pm »
I think one off coutinho, firmino , lallana will be allowed to leave, if an offer comes in!
Our support since 2005 is f@@@@@ @@@@

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #355 on: June 30, 2016, 02:16:55 pm »
I'm sure everyone's seen enough match comps floating around of Mane but i only came across his performance against Bayern yesterday and thought i'd share.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptDmL6eGq_w&feature=youtu.be
It was worth watching just to hear the German commentator scream "SUPERCOOL!" at around 5'45".  :D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: June 30, 2016, 02:22:35 pm »
I thought the workrate in defense was one of his weaknesses, according to Southampton fans' comments?
Also, he seems to be a "big game" player, which is great but makes you wonder about his motivation against lesser teams.

But I'm sure Klopp knows what he's doing. Mane is an established player with little to hide. Plus, we have a couple of former team mates in the squad who would've warned Klopp about any serious issues with motivation.

Curious how he will be used though. Looks more like a striker, actually a bit Suarez in style, than a 4231 winger to me.

He supposedly played in a Salzburg team that pressed a lot, and he pressed plenty at Southampton too. His interception/tackle stats are up there with Lallana's which backs up the idea that he's plenty defensive.

His pace is easier to use against the big teams than some of the minnows in the league too, hence his appearance of being a 'big game player'. If we can get our transitions right under Klopp then he'll be able to use that pace a bit more effectively against the smaller teams, as we'll be trying to score before they can set themselves up. I think having a good amount of creativity in the team is key to making the most of him too, we already have Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino and Can to provide that, and hopefully we'll have another midfielder soon who can play alongside Can and get the ball into the attack quickly.

I'm pretty excited about next season now, if we can keep one of Sturridge/Origi fit and get a decent midfielder in we should be able to develop a pretty immense starting XI.

I think one off coutinho, firmino , lallana will be allowed to leave, if an offer comes in!

Nah.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:26:45 pm by Schmidt »

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #357 on: June 30, 2016, 02:53:49 pm »
Wouldn't mind occasionally seeing what a front 4 of Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana and Mane could do.

Firmino up front with Coutinho behind and Lallana and Mane from the sides.
Believe

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #358 on: June 30, 2016, 02:56:13 pm »
Welcome to the greatest club in the world sadio but always remember one thing that the boss is the main mane  ;)
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: June 30, 2016, 03:15:58 pm »
a video of him vs Bayern Munich below.

If this doesnt get you reaching for the kleenex, i dont know what will

https://youtu.be/ptDmL6eGq_w