Author Topic: Rank your top 10 club managers in the world  (Read 11959 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Rank your top 10 club managers in the world
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2016, 12:01:06 am »
Zidane
Luis Enrique
Van Gaal
Pellegrini
Ranieri
Emery
Blanc
Bruce
Guardiola
McDermott
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2016, 05:40:08 am »
The definitive list:

1. Guardiola
2. Ancelotti
3. Mourinho
4. Simeone
5. Klopp
6. Conte
7. Loew
8. Allegri
9. Ranieri
10. Wenger
11. Enrique
12. Pellegrini
13. Emery
14. Tuchel
15. Benitez
16. Del Bosque
17. Pocchetino
18. Blanc
19. Mancini
20. Favre
21. Maurizio Sarri
22. Deschamps
23. Frank De Boer
24. Sam Allardyce
25. Jorge Sampaioli
26. Senol Gunes
27. Roger Schmidt
28. Zidane
29. Jorge Jesus
30. Gerardo Martino
31. Rui Vitória
32. Van Gaal
33. Oscar Tabarez
34. Fatih Terim
35. Bilic

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:03:45 pm by Vishy »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2016, 06:19:51 am »
Simeone
Klopp
Guardiola
Ancelotti
Mourinho
Ranieri
Emery
Pochettino
Wenger
Tuchel
Allegri

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2016, 06:50:56 am »
Rafa benitez is long distant away from being in Top10.. He was a good manager but he looks finished..

A great person and sadly a once great manager

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2016, 06:59:12 am »
Rafa benitez is long distant away from being in Top10.. He was a good manager but he looks finished..

A great person and sadly a once great manager

Riiiiiiight ...if you say so.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2016, 11:27:32 am »
Jesus Christ, managers who've never won anything in their career, are according to some, in the top 10 managers in the world. :lmao

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2016, 11:43:10 am »
Jesus Christ, managers who've never won anything in their career, are according to some, in the top 10 managers in the world. :lmao

Including Ranieri in there is insane too - for all his achievement of taking Leicester to the league title.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2016, 11:44:26 am »
Anyone posting Zidane should be banned. He did his best to throw that game last night with his subs, and hes only been in the job for 5 months. Also, surely no team has had an easier path to the final, and while I respect them for somehow winning, they had a large slice of luck. Other fans refer to Istanbul as a lucky win, but really Real had a lot more luck last night.

For me it depends on circumstances. The only manager in the world I would consider trading for Klopp at Liverpool is Simeone. For the vast majority of top-half clubs in the big leagues I consider those two the best. Emery, Wenger and Pochettino are similar but not quite as good IMO.

But if you are a club that can afford to spend Ł100m+ net every year (City, Madrid, Barca, PSG, Utd, Chelsea) then I would say Mourinho, Guardiola and Ancelotti are the clear best. They all have a track record of going to the big clubs and winning thing but none of them have built anything from scratch.

Unless I forgot someone, I can't think of anyone else that merits discussion.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:24 am »
Anyone posting Zidane should be banned. He did his best to throw that game last night with his subs, and hes only been in the job for 5 months. Also, surely no team has had an easier path to the final, and while I respect them for somehow winning, they had a large slice of luck. Other fans refer to Istanbul as a lucky win, but really Real had a lot more luck last night.

For me it depends on circumstances. The only manager in the world I would consider trading for Klopp at Liverpool is Simeone. For the vast majority of top-half clubs in the big leagues I consider those two the best. Emery, Wenger and Pochettino are similar but not quite as good IMO.

But if you are a club that can afford to spend Ł100m+ net every year (City, Madrid, Barca, PSG, Utd, Chelsea) then I would say Mourinho, Guardiola and Ancelotti are the clear best. They all have a track record of going to the big clubs and winning thing but none of them have built anything from scratch.

Unless I forgot someone, I can't think of anyone else that merits discussion.

Thats funny about Zidane. I mean are the  same people putting Di Matteo on their list. If so he should be higher than Zidane as surely winning a clubs fist ever European Cup is a better achievement than winnig their 11th

On the building from Scratch.  I honestly dont know enough about Ancelloti's early career to comment. However Mourinho did win the European Cip with Porto. Thats something.

I dont get the Guardiola wank fest.  Inherited the best club side since 1988 and then went to Bayern where at the moment winning the title should but you on par with the managers of PSG and Celtic but ultimately failed in Europe.

This post makes me look a closet Chelsea fan, so Im off for a bath, in acid.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2016, 12:14:57 pm »
Including Ranieri in there is insane too - for all his achievement of taking Leicester to the league title.

If I'd just won the league with Leicester I'd be a bit miffed if I wasn't talked about as currently one of the top managers in the world.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2016, 12:25:42 pm »
Trying to think of a reason why Pochettino is ahead of Wenger on some lists, ill keep going.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2016, 12:34:28 pm »
Trying to think of a reason why Pochettino is ahead of Wenger on some lists, ill keep going.

When I wrote my list I couldn't think of any others  ;D Was only after somebody mentioned Enrique that I realised Pochettino perhaps doesn't merit a place. Haven't been arsed to change it but yeah, Enrique instead of Pochettino.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2016, 12:37:34 pm »
except national team coaches:

1. Simeone
2. Guardiola
3. Ancelotti
4. Klopp
5. Mourinho
6. Tuchel
7. Wenger
8. Conte
9. Emery
10. Pocchetino
11. Ranieri
12. Benitez
13. Bilic
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:46:28 pm by PIPA23 »

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2016, 12:51:17 pm »
except national team coaches:

1. Simeone
2. Guardiola
3. Ancelotti
4. Klopp
5. Mourinho
6. Tuchel
7. Wenger
8. Conte
9. Emery
10. Pocchetino
11. Ranieri
12. Benitez
13. Bilic

Id go with most of that, though don't think Tuchel has done enough to be that high , and Benitez has done too much to be that low.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2016, 12:53:23 pm »
Id go with most of that, though don't think Tuchel has done enough to be that high , and Benitez has done too much to be that low.

i don´t count their past that much but today´s "form" and potential as well

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2016, 01:42:52 pm »

Hhaha - Cos he finished 3rd in a 2 horse race. That takes some doing.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2016, 07:57:22 pm »
Benitez won two La Liga titles with far less talent than Enrique. Benitez won Champions League with far less talent, and had Liverpool competing deep into Champions League contention over multiple years with less talent. Just my opinion. Like I said, Enrique's a good manager, it's just hard to place him considering the Christmas presents under his tree.
But I thought this was supposed to be a current list? What has Benitez done that tops Enrique in the last decade?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »
Went to coach Galtasaray, failed.

Then went to coach Saudi Arabia, failed.

Was Switzerland's manager till the last world cup, did relatively well with them to qualify to most major international tournaments (bar Euro 2012) but never did anything spectacular with them in the tournaments themselves. Now retired.

After failing with Italy at the 2010 World cup, he went to become the manager of Guangzhou Evergrande where he won three Chinese Superleagues, One Chinese Cup and one AFC Champions league. Now serves as the technical director for the Italian FA, a role he will officially start in after the Euros.

Like Lippi, after the World Cup failure with Brazil, he went to become the manager of Guangzhou Evergrande where he won the league, cup and champions league treble in his first season.

Scolari was never that good in European football to begin with on club level, Rijkaard seemed to have been the right guy at the right time for Barca but beyond that, his ideas failed miserably. The other two failed to adapt and dare I say, football has passed them by.

Wow. That's impressively informative of you.

Thanks for using Google on my behalf ;D

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2016, 09:34:33 pm »
Simeone, the unquestionable and unanimous best, I hope?

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2016, 09:42:13 pm »
Rafa got sacked by Real, and the completely inexperienced replacement has done better. And now he's managing in the Championship. In the meantime Luis Enrique has won back to back La Ligas and Spanish Cups, won one CL and got to the semis of another. And we're seriously debating who is currently the better manager?

The 'couldn't fail to win things with Messi, Suarez and Neymar' is an absolute cop-out.
Neither Rafa nor Enrique should be on the list. Winning with that Barca team counts for nothing unless its a sustained period with a visible coach's impression on the team. On Benitez, yes Real are a sacking club but its incredible even for them to sack a manager within 6 months. A top manager should be able to deal with big egos, and Benitez failed catastrophically, as he has in the past.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2016, 07:36:24 pm »
Neither Rafa nor Enrique should be on the list. Winning with that Barca team counts for nothing unless its a sustained period with a visible coach's impression on the team. On Benitez, yes Real are a sacking club but its incredible even for them to sack a manager within 6 months. A top manager should be able to deal with big egos, and Benitez failed catastrophically, as he has in the past.

:D

Ok so we're kind of making rules so we can say Guardiola was amazing for being dominant with Barca, but not Enrique. Right?

He's been there two seasons and literally the only major trophy available to him that he didn't win was the CL this season. People ranking him below other successful managers I can sort of get, but below guys like Bilic and Pochetinno? Winning the treble is less impressive than getting West Ham 6th in the league....?

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2016, 08:38:58 pm »
Really after the likes of Pep & Simeone it could be anyone depending on what you are basing it on.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2016, 08:56:48 pm »
Got to say, if Everton don't make a move for Pellegrini then I think they are out of their mind. It would be a real coup and he'd turn them into a consistent top 6 club competing for trophies.

The work he did at Villareal, Real Madrid and Man City speaks for itself.

Plus he's a gentleman. His teams plays excellent football. A winner and top class manager in every sense.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2016, 10:08:18 pm »
troll tip - don't feed them, report them - thanks.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2016, 10:21:25 pm »
Bit Shocked wee Davie Moyes ain't on anyone's list. Born winer that fella.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2016, 10:33:07 pm »
Bit Shocked wee Davie Moyes ain't on anyone's list. Born winer that fella.
You missed out an 'h'..........

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2016, 10:55:41 pm »
:D

Ok so we're kind of making rules so we can say Guardiola was amazing for being dominant with Barca, but not Enrique. Right?

He's been there two seasons and literally the only major trophy available to him that he didn't win was the CL this season. People ranking him below other successful managers I can sort of get, but below guys like Bilic and Pochetinno? Winning the treble is less impressive than getting West Ham 6th in the league....?
Not Bilic but why not Pochetinno? He has been successful at 3 different clubs now. Luis Enrique failed at Roma.

Offline aliverbirduponmychest

• Kopite
  • A team that plays total football.
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2016, 11:02:06 pm »
This is completely meaningless fun - love it :)

These are the ones that stick out to me as being the world's leading managers, in no particular order ... who's missing from the list? I'm sure I've missed out a bunch. Let's do a definitive list first, and then start ranking :)

Guardiola
Simeone
Klopp
Ancelotti
Mourinho
Unai Emery
Conte
Pellegrini
Benitez
Zidane
Wenger
Pocchetino
Tuchel
Laurent Blanc
Joachim Loew
Del Bosque
Deschamps (France)
Fatih Terim (Turkey)
Marc Wilmots (Belgium)
Frank De Boer
Gerardo Martino (Argentina)
Dunga
Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay)
Jorge Sampaioli (Chile)
Zidane
Luis Enrique
Claudio Ranieri
Roberto Mancini
Massimiliano Allegri
Maurizio Sarri (Napoli)
Roger Schmidt
Villas Boas (hmmmmm)
Hiddink
Van Gaal
Brendan Rodgers
Slaven Bilic
Senol Gunes (Beşiktaş - Turkish Champs)

Where's Fat Sam or Steve Bruce?
SoS membership number 4158
JFT 96

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2016, 11:26:44 pm »
You missed out an 'h'..........
Whining without whining ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2016, 11:32:18 pm »
Whining without whining ;)
HAHAHA WEYHEY!!!!!!!!!!!! Nigh swan, Centurion :thumbup

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2016, 11:37:53 pm »
-Simeone
-Guardiola
-Mourinho
-Klopp
-Ancelotti
-Wenger
-Benitez
-Allegri
-Emery
-Conte

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2016, 11:41:42 pm »
Not Bilic but why not Pochetinno? He has been successful at 3 different clubs now. Luis Enrique failed at Roma.

Wait....what?

You and I clearly have incredibly different definitions of the word successful. Pochetinno got sacked at Espanyol when they were rock bottom of La Liga, after some mid-table finishes, went to Southampton and had some more mid-table finishes and then finished third with Spurs. No trophies. Where on earth is the success in that?

I can sort of accept some of the slightly more hipster choices like Emery as long as they've actually won something. But Pochetinno? Successful at three clubs? Nah I think you're on a wind-up mate.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2016, 03:46:46 am »

Is Pochettino highly regarded in Milan, do you know? I know you're back in Liverpool now but how do the other footballers in AC regard him?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2016, 10:14:59 am »
Wait....what?

You and I clearly have incredibly different definitions of the word successful. Pochetinno got sacked at Espanyol when they were rock bottom of La Liga, after some mid-table finishes, went to Southampton and had some more mid-table finishes and then finished third with Spurs. No trophies. Where on earth is the success in that?

I can sort of accept some of the slightly more hipster choices like Emery as long as they've actually won something. But Pochetinno? Successful at three clubs? Nah I think you're on a wind-up mate.

Emery is hardly a hipster choice. 3 European trophies is nothing to be laughed about, much less three in a row (when was the last time that was done? The Bayern/Ajax teams?)

No one's put him number 1, just in their top 10 or whatever - which is fair.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »
Emery is hardly a hipster choice. 3 European trophies is nothing to be laughed about, much less three in a row (when was the last time that was done? The Bayern/Ajax teams?)

No one's put him number 1, just in their top 10 or whatever - which is fair.

I wasn't really talking about Emery to be honest, I was talking about Pochetinno. Emery is a little bit hipster in that his side doesn't play particularly attractive football and don't have particularly great league campaigns but he's obviously a very good cup manager, so just a bit hipster but successful with it.

SwordInYourGut said Pochetinno had been successful at three different clubs..... He hasn't been successful anywhere.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2016, 04:15:55 pm »
"Successful at 3 different clubs". In football, you either go with the trophies won or some other clear achievements.

If by "successful" you mean doing well for the available resources, then, in Spain and Germany, there are about 10 coaches who do that EVERY season. The clubs are broke there, barely spend any money on transfers yet do well both in league, and if they are in Europe, they also do well in Europe. Why is Pochettino seen as such a huge success? Better or more accomplished than a coach who has won treble? That's a stretch. Enrique did very well at Celta, too, considering what he was working with.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2016, 04:22:37 pm »
In terms of my top 10, I really don't have one. I think there are about 5-6 top coaches at the moment, the rest is debatable:
Guardiola
Mourinho
Klopp
Simeone
Ancelotti

are the ones I rate most. You could make a case for
Emery
Allegri

to be the next tier. The rest are clearly debatable. I personally wouldn't include Ranieri in the list. I'd put Zidane and Enrique ahead of him. Ranieri is not a top 10 coach in the same way as Leicester are not a top 10 club in the world. If Ranieri was younger and if we didn't know his limits, you could put him based on potential. But he is an older coach, and the past season is a big exception rather than norm. We know that. It's like Michu scoring all those goals or something. A great season etc. but he just was not world class.

At least the likes of Enrique, Zidane, Emery and Tuchel have promising careers ahead.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »
And Pochetinno failed at Espanyol. We could rounds all day, mate.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 1, 2016, 07:09:03 am »
Simeone
Allegri
Guardiola
Enrique
Mourinho
Ancelotti
Zidane