Author Topic: 30 years on from The Double  (Read 3098 times)

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
30 years on from The Double
« on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:38 am »
Hope its ok to post this but listed the source as well and cant believe it was 30 years ago since our greatest domestic feat was accomplished, our first and only Double.

Source https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/remembering-king-kennys-domestic-double-155535408.html?soc_src=copy

Football: Remembering King Kenny's domestic double at Liverpool, 30 years on

Liverpool's achievements in 1986 were special for various reasons not only did they beat their local rivals to both prizes, but recovered from a serious points deficit too. Sam Drury takes you through the ride...

By Sam Drury
FourFourTwo

Liverpool player manager Kenny Dalglish celebrates after scoring the winning goal at Chelsea to win the title

As Alan Hansen held the FA Cup aloft in May 1986, it seemed like business as usual for Liverpool. A league and cup double secured, their domination of English football showed no sign of coming to an end.

Heading into that season, though, there was an air of uncertainty around a club still coming to terms with the fallout of the Heysel disaster. Everton had beaten them to the title in 1985, Joe Fagan had retired and his replacement Kenny Dalglish, though revered as a player, was completely untested as a manager.

Player power

However, the Scot’s appointment as player-manager was welcomed by the squad according to Jim Beglin, a key member of the Liverpool team that year.

“There was a lot of satisfaction,” he tells FourFourTwo. “Kenny had an aura about him even then, and we all thought they couldn’t get anybody better.

“He knew the club inside out, was a very shrewd character and a great at Liverpool so we were all hoping that the club would be competing for anything we entered.”

Indeed, any notion that Dalglish would struggle to assert his authority over his former team-mates was soon dismissed.

“I remember Kenny putting pressure on us all to deliver what he wanted and if ever that level dropped a little, he wouldn’t tolerate it,” says the ex-Reds left-back. “It was as if he was trying to take the club up another level. Kenny was a winner and he wasn’t going to accept anything less from any of his players.”

Losing points, losing ground

However, despite a 3-2 derby win at Goodison Park, by the New Year – and after just one win in five during December – there was a feeling that maybe the squad wasn’t good enough. Not least from the side’s captain.

“It’s come out now that Hansen went to Kenny and said ‘this team’s going to win nothing’. That’s another one he’s got wrong!” Beglin chuckles.

“But December wasn't too good. We drew 1-1 at Nottingham Forest and in added time I had a chance to get the ball in the box. It was a really tricky surface and I slipped, so our last chance of getting a winner went.

“I got it afterwards in the dressing room and I remember telling everyone to go and whatever. I got bombed out of the side, I think I was being taught a lesson after that.”

Beglin was back in the team by the time the Merseyside derby came around in February and it proved to be a turning point in Liverpool's season.

“Losing to Everton at Anfield was a terrible blow, it was like our worst nightmare,” Beglin explains. “They were unlucky to lose earlier in the season and probably deserved to beat us on the day – we weren’t great. Brucie [Grobbelaar] let one in from a [Kevin] Ratcliffe shot that bobbled along the ground from about 40 yards and then [Gary] Lineker finished us off.

“It was a real demoraliser and we couldn't have recovered, but I always maintain that team had a real underlying spirit and determination – that dressing room was full of winners.

“The pressure was cranked up hugely after that defeat and, thankfully, we responded brilliantly.”

Real winners

Having found themselves in third, eight points behind leaders Everton following the derby defeat, Liverpool went unbeaten in the final 12 games of the season, winning 11 and keeping eight clean sheets.

It wasn’t until the penultimate game of their league campaign that Liverpool gained the upper hand in the title race, though, Ian Rush and Ronnie Whelan giving them a 2-0 win at Leicester while Everton lost 1-0 at Oxford.

That meant Liverpool travelled to Chelsea on the final weekend of the season knowing victory would secure the title.

“The intensity went up another notch,” Beglin recalls. “We weren’t going to blow it, we couldn’t blow it – we’d worked too hard to get ourselves in position.”

A single goal proved enough at Stamford Bridge, the player-manager himself with the championship-winning strike.

“For Kenny to get the winner – it had to happen and it was brilliant,” Beglin says. “To be part of a team that good and to go and win the league – I was in heaven. It was the best... what a time.”

Derby delight... in London

There was little time to celebrate, though, as a week later Liverpool headed to Wembley for the FA Cup final against Everton with the chance to complete a famous double.

“The FA Cup back then was absolutely mega,” says Beglin. “Arguably, it was even bigger than a European Cup final.

“It was the first all-Merseyside FA Cup final. It was off the scale, the official attendance was 98,000 that day, but I think it’s got to have been 110,000 or more. It was packed to the rafters.”

Once the game began Everton settled quickest and Lineker put them in front at the break. Liverpool needed something to spark them into life and they got it soon after the interval.

“Even in the second half we didn’t get going at all and I ended up having a scrape with Brucie [Grobbelaar] – he hit me!” Beglin recalls. “I wish I had a quid for every time a Liverpudlian has come up to me and said ‘that’s what woke us up that day’. I don’t know whether that’s true but if it did play any part in that then I’m delighted.”

It certainly drew a response: two goals in six minutes, from Rush and Craig Johnston, turned the game around before Rush struck again in the 84th minute to seal the win.

The Double – an achievement no Liverpool side in the 30 years since has managed to replicate – was complete.

“That team could really play some good football – the pass-and-move culture was drilled into us on the training ground, but we could grind,” Beglin concludes. “People talk about a ‘Plan B’ but you don’t completely change your style of play at a moment’s notice.

“I’ve never known a coach to work on that. For me, ‘Plan B’ is finding a way of not losing, a way of winning games that you’re not likely to win, and that team could do that – it had the winners, the winning mentality, and that came through superbly well at the end.”
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
Re: 30 years on from The Double
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:35:57 am »
Cheers for that,brought back many unbelievable memories.

<--- Avatar

The celebrations at Chelsea were crazy & the weekend I spent in London for the final are still unsurpassed.

Ended up with 3 of us around 1am singing & dancing (blitzed) somewhere in Gypsy Hill south London trying to find my uncles place where we stayed. Loads of heads out windows screaming 'shat awp you scarce c*nts' to which were obvious reactions. I could write a book about that weekend.

The best ever.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:42:41 am by Bobby Davro! »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:19 am »
Wasn't at the FA Cup but made the Chelsea game.  Was behind the goal when Kenny chested it down and slammed home the winner.  Cue bedlam in the away end.  I was only 15.  But three things stand out.  The fact the second half seemed to drag on forever - this was no run-off-the-mill away win, and although not quite backs-to-the-wall it was never comfortable. 

Also remember being spat on walking up the Kings Road by Chelsea fans before the game, walking with about 6 others.  5 adults and another of similar age to me.  Some things never change.

And then the 'football special' train back to Lime St.  More bedlam.  And lots of alcohol, albeit illegal for me at the time. 

Great memories.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 11:55:08 am »
Love the Double for so many reasons. We were poor in 1985. Post Heysel. Kenny first season as player/manager. We did not start the season as well. Nail biting finished with Everton bottling though have to stay they were strong. And of course beating them at Wembley too when they thought we were imploding.

30 years ago? Fuck me ... Time flies. I was this idealistic 17 year old then
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »
My real memory was the game at Leicester in the midweek before the Chelsea game - there was no easy way to get scores from other grounds in those days, but someone had a radio. We were comfortable at 2-0 when suddenly all hell broke loose around us when the bloke with the radio said Oxford had scored - the news spread like wildfire and we were all reacting like Liverpool had scored - the Leicester fans must have wondered what was going on. I couldn't get to Chelsea as I had a prior commintment that I couldn't get out of, but I was at Wembley the following weekend for the final. I was at a Union conference in Brighton that weekend, so partied long into the night in Brighton afterwards. Great days - I can't believe how quickly time has passed since than.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:29:48 pm »
Was just looking on the past players section yesterday and noticed that Jim Beglin did not have a thread.  Remember him as a player of great potential, such a pity...

Remember the FA Cup win with such fondness, it being our first.  It is up there with the Euro Cups as great memories.  Super Jan that day ...

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 01:02:51 pm »
My real memory was the game at Leicester in the midweek before the Chelsea game - there was no easy way to get scores from other grounds in those days, but someone had a radio. We were comfortable at 2-0 when suddenly all hell broke loose around us when the bloke with the radio said Oxford had scored - the news spread like wildfire and we were all reacting like Liverpool had scored - the Leicester fans must have wondered what was going on. I couldn't get to Chelsea as I had a prior commintment that I couldn't get out of, but I was at Wembley the following weekend for the final. I was at a Union conference in Brighton that weekend, so partied long into the night in Brighton afterwards. Great days - I can't believe how quickly time has passed since than.

That's interesting to hear. I was at the Oxford-Everton match (and the Pool-Chelsea match too). Transistor radios are definitely part of the story. Here's what both games felt like:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=310171.msg12193407#msg12193407
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 01:58:12 pm »
Brillant read Yorky as what a time to be a match going fan as the 70s and 80s are a distant memory until you read one of your posts, which brings them flooding back again as it was just yesterday. Just a teenager in Ireland when the double was won and was lucky enough to see the trophies paraded around a friendly match against an Irish selection I think that summer. We were so blessed back then as we won at least one trophy a year for nearly 20 years running probably and we never thought we would go 25 years n counting for another league win since 1990. Here I will be tonight flicking on Sky I guess to watch another Liverpool Chelsea match ....what a change it is from going to my Dad to ask him if I can listen to a crackling commentary from BBC Radio as my team are playing tonight. Treasured memories indeed.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 02:10:05 pm »
That's interesting to hear. I was at the Oxford-Everton match (and the Pool-Chelsea match too). Transistor radios are definitely part of the story. Here's what both games felt like:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=310171.msg12193407#msg12193407

Crackin post that Yorky.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 05:45:31 pm »
30 years ago! Now I feel old. I clearly remember losing to Everton just before the run-in and thinking it was all over. I also remember hearing on Breakfast tv that they'd lost to Oxford and going in to school to laugh at the Blues.

Good times.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 06:44:10 pm »
Great op and also the post from Yorky.

I remember that mid week match when we played Leicester, being round a mates house listening to it on the radio. We went fuckin ballistic at the final whistle when we found out the blues had lost to Oxford.

Also the Saturday stands out as I had to go shopping with me Mum but spent the time standing outside Rumbelows shop window watching the teletext screen change every so often.  :)

At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:26:36 pm »
Damn this thread. I've been singing Pet Shop Boys tunes all evening!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 11:21:47 pm »
After the Chelsea result came in my parents took me to the May Day fair.  Had too much candy floss and throw up pink sick on the way home.

Funny what you remember! Did we need to beat Chelsea on the last day to seal it? Did Everton win?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 12:21:57 am »
Fair fucks to Chelsea when they were a football club and after the game they played 'We are the Champions' by Queen for us as the team come out after the game had finished. Must of been abar 10,00 scousers down there that day, and the now famous 'Ron Atkinsons Long Leather' flag.

One week late, ruined a boss pair of(only 20 in L'pool) Adidas waterproof, in the 100,00 scousers final......Bobby Mimms was a trollop.

The days when when were fab eh lads.......
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:39 am »
great read

I remember my brother telling me about the night we won at Leicester, he told me years later ( I was only 3 in 1986) and you could see him light up telling me. you knew how excited he was just remembering it.

Remember the clips of fans bunking into wembley, how dangerous was that?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR