Author Topic: Match Preview: Villarreal vs Liverpool, EL, Thursday 28th April, 8.05pm  (Read 49656 times)

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
V

Dortmund

Whatever transpires in the Europa League this season the Dortmund quarter final will always be close to our hearts. The sound of Lovren’s header hitting the back of the net still plays on repeat. Still too fresh. Steeped in emotion with a romantic backdrop only football could serve up it was simply a remarkable game of football. One of those 'I witnessed that' watershed moments that is now stored in our aficionado memory bank. Anfield was shimmering on a night full of drama. The unlikeliest of comebacks that only Liverpool could pull out, and ultimately the bedlam that ensued. There was a force field that is difficult to explain about that game. Boxed snapshots that are filed away with Istanbul, St. Etienne, Olympiakos, Chelsea and any one of those special European occasions. A time-travel ticket that is valid for life, that one will always stay with us.

Of course, there is unfinished business here. As Dejan Lovren so aptly pointed out at the tail end of his post-match interview "it's not over yet". Just as the Istanbul miracle was befitting of winning the whole thing, Dortmund was emphatic enough to believe that this journey shouldn't end here. After recovering from the euphoria of such an emotional quarter final you can almost smell the trophy now as we look forward to yet another European Semi Final. And so we move on from Die Schwarzgelben to El Submarino Amarillo. From the yellow wall to the yellow submarine. The initial reaction to drawing Villarreal was meant with some caution yet great hope. Dortmund were favourites for the competition and by sending them crashing back down to earth we felt bullish about our chances. But then Villarreal are a different kettle of fish.

History

Villarreal and Liverpool have never met in a competitive match before. There is no managerial sub-plot here, or emotional bond between 2 sets of fans. Villa-real is a small town situated in the province of Castello, close to their rivals Valencia. In 2007-08, they finished 2nd in La Liga and consequently qualified for the CL the following year. They met both Manchester United and Arsenal in that campaign, the former in the group stage where they drew 0-0 at Old Trafford, and then losing to the latter in the quarter finals. Things took a bit of a downturn in 2011-12 when they finished 18th and were relegated to the Segunda División. This saw a mass exodus of players from the club including Borja Valero and Diego Lopez. They were promoted the very next season, and have never finished below 6th ever since. In recent years Atlético Madrid have proved they can force themselves into the equation in a league dominated by two heavyweights. Although the mastery of Diego Simeone has proved pivotal in them joining that crowd. Villarreal have emerged from the next batch of front runners somewhat resembling an Atlético-lite in the way they go about their business.

Villareal style of play

Villarreal’s manager, Marcelino, employs a classic 4-4-2 system. Their main potency is to launch lightning quick counter attacks. They rely on a powerful midfield led by Bruno Soriano. His recent stellar play has led to call ups to the Spanish National team. He follows an esteemed list of midfielders that once played for Villarreal; Marcos Senna, Santi Cazorla and Joan Roman Riquelm. As a 4 in the middle the midfield work extremely hard for each other, with their engine being Bruno. We’ll need a strong presence in midfield to stop him controlling the play. They are loosely reminiscent of Liverpool in that they attempt to win the ball back quickly and support in numbers when they lose possession. Both wide midfielders like to cut in rather than get to the byline. This should be music to the ears of a team who struggles with crosses into the box. As a team they don't have the technical skill of Dortmund and aren't as lethal but they probably work harder for each other than Dortmund do. The success of the team is reliant on heavy work ethic. They usually start with a quick tempo trying to get an early lead and then let their organized defence protect that lead. Despite their impressive position on the league table Villarreal do not show up in the top 5 for possession, shots per game, pass accuracy or aerial duels won. In fact, they aren't in the top 5 for aggression either, which means they are quite well disciplined.

Danger man

Cedric Bakambu was plucked from near obscurity in Turkey last season to join Villarreal's ranks in the summer. He has fit their attack like the missing sharpshooter from an Olympic archery team. He is their most dangerous weapon, and a 1 in 2 striker in La Liga. 22 goals in 43 appearances this season, which is quite a lot to write home about. Although, not yet the toast of La Liga he has quietly been a big contributing factor to where Villareal sit this season. He's also struck up a pretty decent partnership with Roberto Soldado. Remember him? The flop at Spurs, who has also made himself at home here. Take Bakambu him out of the lineup and they would likely be a mid table team. He has a penchant for scoring early in games too. He's scored in the 3rd, 4th and 5th minute of different games this season so he's going to test us early. Stop him and you go a long way to stopping them getting on the scoresheet.

The defence

Villarreal don't score a bucket load of goals, 8 other teams in La Liga have more goals than them, and 3 others have the same tally. They do however boast a pretty mean defensive record; the 4th best in La Liga. Much of this is down to the efforts of Eric Bailley. If you ever pay attention the FIFA 16 Team of the week (real players), you'll know him well. The Ivorian has attracted the attention of many top clubs in Europe including Manchester City. He has become Victor Ruiz' partner in central defence and together they form the bedrock of a strong defensive core. Bailley's stock has continuously risen throughout the season. However, he is prone to the odd moments of waywardness and rash yellow cards. He can be targeted and no doubt Klopp be looking to target him.

Who will Liverpool miss?

Liverpool are hurting. Three games in recent weeks have yielded 3 good results but at a heavy cost. Each with the shine taken off them with injuries to 3 first team players. When Emre Can was ruled out for 4-6 weeks it felt like you'd driven through a treacherous canyon, come out and discovered you have a wheel missing. Liverpool's heartbeat in midfield will be a massive loss. It's a testament to his development this season he’s the first name on Klopp’s team sheet. Hopefully, if we get to the final he’ll be in the 11. Divock Origi, the hero of the first leg against Dortmund, will be absent too. That will be another big loss because he is fast becoming the quintessential striker in a Klopp system. It's such a shame that he got injured when he did because he would likely have led the line here again. The Captain’s injury could have been bearable had Can been around and now we're precariously thin in midfield. Sakho will be huge miss. Leadership qualities and a rallying the troops call are much needed in semi finals. Toure or Lucas should be able to fill in.

The match

Villarreal will pose a difficult test for us. They are no mugs when it comes to playing top teams; wins against Real and Atlético and a draw against Barcelona show they are up for the fight when it matters. However, we can buoyed by our recent form (bar Newcastle) and have enough weapons to cause them problems. They don't often possess high amounts of possession so we should see quite a fair bit of the ball. They do control games in midfield so that could prove to be a pivotal area of the pitch. The key will be working harder than them, because they fight for each other and we need to counter that by covering every blade of grass. If we do that we will go a long way to winning the battle. Form wise Villareal have lost their last 2 games so confidence might low. An away goal would be encouraging, but as we saw against Dortmund it isn't always a huge factor. The away goal was wiped out within 4 minutes at Anfield the last time out. As always you want to get back to Anfield with a realistic shot of progressing. On paper there doesn't appear to a huge gulf between the two teams, therefore this game will likely be decided on who takes their chances on the day. With Coutinho and Sturridge in scintillating form I expect our usual number of quality chances created. Both are key players for me and generally when they play well Liverpool play well. It's all about the Europa League now. The league games are just about pride; anything there is gravy at this point. This is our biggest game of the season, and it will be interesting to see how Klopp sets up and how we perform. It should be a fascinating game and I fancy us to score on the night, and have a sneaking suspicion we may surprise them with an away win. Buckle up for another great European adventure.

The yellow submarine, is their nickname incase you were wondering.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:04:41 pm by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
They do have a very good defence, but it's not infallible against good players. In the last few months they've conceded 3 against Real Madrid, 2 against Barca and 4 against Sevilla.

We have to be very wary of their threat and maintain patience in breaking them down. But with Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Sturridge we really should have the weapons to do that. If the defence can hold relatively firm without Sakho then I'm confident of scoring enough over 2 legs to go through.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
Can't wait for this, looks like it's not going to be the sunniest of days, but it's still Spain in April, so plenty of outdoor drinking.
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
We've had a string of bad luck with losing Can, Origi and Sakho so we're due some luck.

Provided we strike first I think we can keep this lot at bay.

Come on redmen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks Number 7, good write up. I can't wait for this next encounter.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
Excellent write up, thanks. Loss of Can, Sakho and especially glorious tricky Divock Origi has made me less optimistic about this game. As always a score draw will be a good result for us.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Eliit

• Kopite
Not nearly as optimistic about winning the competition as I was after Dortmund game. We have lost so many key players. I think that they are the favourites for this one but so were Dortmund when we played them.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
I think we will win this tie but also win the first leg. 2-0.

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
In terms of being informative and covering the key points, that's the best match preview I've read on here. Thanks Number 7.

All of us are less optimistic due to the key injuries but the line up in the preview is till a very strong one and- bar Lovren (now our most solid defender), Lucas/Milner in for Hendo (edit: and Toure who has also been excellent when in for a long spell) - most on here would have called this our strongest team at the beginning of the season.

Let's not forget what we have, by focusing too much on what we've lost. I've been guilty of this.

I'm going to predict a 2-1 away win here. Sturridge and Coutinho.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:24:58 pm by LIVE-MAU5 »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Haha I did a preview too ;D  Lack of RAWK communication... But this is far better than mine!

My text extracted below...   :)

And so we dare to dream again of another glorious European adventure, heading unbeaten to El Madrigal having dispatched of our greatest domestic rivals and the tournament favourites.

It hasn't been easy by any stretch of the imagination. A draw away at Bordeaux, followed by a draw at home to Sion. A stuttering start as Brendan limped towards the end of his time at the club. Klopp's arrival saw an upturn, taking 4 points off Kazan before a home win against Bordeaux sent Liverpool through. A draw against Sion confirmed that the reds topped the group despite winning only two games!

A nervy home win against Augsburg, Klopp's men a late away goal from exit, before Coutinho punctured increasing United pressure with an away goal at Old Trafford. And of course, the most dramatic moment of all, coming from 3-1 down at home against Dortmund with Lovren's sensational stoppage time header. It feels a bit like the old times again...

I wasn't lucky enough to be around in the glory days of this club, but such is our European record that I've seen us play in continental semi-finals on 6 occasions in the last 2 decades - an incredible record for any club. Defeat against PSG in the Cup Winners Cup in 1997, that one trophy we never managed to win. Gary Mac's penalty that downed Barce in the UEFA Cup in 2001. Luis Garcia's definite-100%-crossed-the-line goal that sank Mourinho's Chelsea in 2005 and the penalties that dispatched the same opponents two years later. Chelsea finally got the better of us in a dramatic second leg in 2008, before more ET drama against Atletico Madrid in Rafa's last season. And this year... more Spanish opposition.

The only unbeaten team in the competition, but a squad that travels to Spain a few players short. Already hamstrung by long term injuries to Danny Ings and Joe Gomez, and Benteke returning to fitness, the win against Dortmund was at the cost of Henderson and Can whilst our derby victory over the Toffees saw Origi's season cut short. Add to that the situation surround Mahmadou Sakho and many of Klopp's difficult selection decisions seem to have been made for him.

But Klopp has shown in his time here that he can push our squad beyond its limitations. With a CB pairing of Lucas and Toure, we took Man City to penalties in the League Cup final. With youngsters Jordan Ibe, Sheyi Ojo, Danny Ward, Connor Randall and Kevin Stewart, we won away at a good Bournemouth side. We can win at Villareal, there's no doubt about that. Or, we can get a result that can set us up for another famous Anfield night. The kind of night that makes our players feel invincible, and our opponents feel like history has been written and there's nothing they can do to alter its course, as Tuchel lamented after his side saw defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

But first a job to do in Spain. Despite another costly error, Simon Mignolet will start in goal. Clyne at RB, Moreno at LB. Lovren, so much improved under Klopp, will anchor the defence, in all likelihood alongside Kolo Toure who partnered him on Saturday against Newcastle. Joe Allen will surely start in the centre of midfield in Hendo/Can's absence. Milner will captain the side, with Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge completing the forward line. The only question, perhaps, is whether we start with Lucas away from home to give more support in midfield, or start Lallana and push for the important away goal.

As 4th place has once and for all slipped away from us after Newcastle's spirited comeback, our eggs are very much in the Europa League basket. A trophy, and a route into the Champions League - what an end it would be to Klopp's first campaign, and what a basis to build from going forward. Here's hoping our players raise their games for one last away fixture in Europe and set us up for a special night at Anfield next week, and in Basel later in May.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:39:05 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: Match Preview: Villareal vs Liverpool, EL, Thursday 28th April, 8.05pm
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 02:39:51 pm »
Lucas and Allen as a two for me.

Milner, Phil, Bobby and Dan up top.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »
Lucas and Allen as a two for me.

Milner, Phil, Bobby and Dan up top.

Lallana is guaranteed to play. Think it will be Lallana in there and Firmino as a false 9.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 02:43:49 pm »
Lallana is guaranteed to play. Think it will be Lallana in there and Firmino as a false 9.

No Sturridge ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 02:46:54 pm »
It'll be a tough game this. We're going to have to defend far better as a team. Bakambu and Suarez are dangerous.

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 02:52:15 pm »
A European Semi final, thought I'd never see it again.

Real pain having Origi out, as we know his hold up play is superior to Sturridge. However, I take it Villareal are a defensive minded team? Meaning the moments of magic Sturridge can produce can be helpful in breaking them down.

I expect these to be complete shithouses, diving, kicking, etc. Will be tough, these ain't no mugs ::)

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 02:52:24 pm »
It'll be a tough game this. We're going to have to defend far better as a team. Bakambu and Suarez are dangerous.

To be honest I'm postive we will be ok from a defensive stance , players know what's at stake and this will keep the attitude right , pity it's not the same for 90mins in the PL every week .
Think Klopp will take on board our start Dortmund at home as well

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 02:52:55 pm »
Haha I did a preview too ;D  Lack of RAWK communication... But this is far better than mine!
Haha. Blame Titi for that one. I had put my name down in the pre-match threads thread. All good. Nice one yourself too.
YWNA

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 02:58:10 pm »
Thanks for the write-ups guys.

We should win this if we play our best. We have enough fire-power to score goals but we need to learn how to defend (including our midfield).

It should be a tight game and I fancy us to come home with another 1-1.
#JFT97

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 03:05:30 pm »
If I have a worrys it's our injuries or more so we looked tired on Saturday

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 03:13:21 pm »
I will probably put firmino as a false nine in this game. Lets do a mancity/Chelsea to them.

Mig
                       Clyne    Toure    Lovern    Moreno
                                       Lucas   Allen
                                           Coutinho
                              Milner                     Lallana
                                            Firmino
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 03:15:37 pm »
I'd love a team similar to where we annihilated City at the Etihad. Firmino, Lallana and Couts. Only issue is if we play a midfield 3 of Allen, Lucas and Milner, who do we have as back up?

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 03:19:53 pm »
I'd love a team similar to where we annihilated City at the Etihad. Firmino, Lallana and Couts. Only issue is if we play a midfield 3 of Allen, Lucas and Milner, who do we have as back up?

Stewart....... I have been impressed with him. His reading of the game, his interceptions.... is simply awesome.

We can also bring on Ibe or Ojo for one of our CMs and move Milner central.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 03:20:26 pm »
Great op!!

This will be a very tight match, we are in good form, but so are they.

I would take a 1-1 result.

Sakho, Origi and Can will be huge losses for us, make no mistake.  That's 2 leaders and our form striker that we are without.

We will do well to get a scoring draw, then a win at Anfield.

I'm really looking forward to the game, a European semi, fantastic!!!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »
Sturridge isn't  on form?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 03:22:37 pm »
Sturridge isn't  on form?

He is, but we are missing the other one who is on form to  ;)

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 03:22:50 pm »
Seems to me that Origi tore each one a new bum hole, caused chaos and wore them out. Then Sturridge comes on and elegantly pops a couple in. Maybe Firmino will start to do that hard work?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 03:24:03 pm »
Seems to me that Origi tore each one a new bum hole, caused chaos and wore them out. Then Sturridge comes on and elegantly pops a couple in. Maybe Firmino will start to do that hard work?

Yeah it's the hard work that we will miss with Origi being out, and he's a big lump to

The longish ball from deep and control / chase from Origi takes a lot of pressure off the defence and midfield.

I think Firmino may start and do a lot of the running.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:25:56 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 03:37:25 pm »
Villarreal are a good defensive side. Sort of like Atletico-lite in terms of defensive organization. I expect this to be quite difficult, especially given the number of players we've lost to injury/suspension at this stage of the season.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 03:48:43 pm »
Thanks for that. Informative OP.

I thought Toure looked a little tired against Newcastle so could see Skrtel (gulp)

I just don't feel to confident, the injuries to Can and Origi have hurt us, as has Sakho's suspension. Lucas looked extremely off  the pace on Saturday and I worry about him with the strength of Villareal's counters.

That being said Sturridge is looking good so we have a good chance of an away goal.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 03:50:46 pm »
Lucas looked extremely off  the pace on Saturday and I worry about him with the strength of Villareal's counters.

You'd think he'd be fine if he's at the back......but then midfield?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »
We owe la liga a hiding after atletico madrid in the semi final 2010.
Seen us win everything

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 03:57:51 pm »
We will be in Plaza Major before the match  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »
Difficult team to play against....

How should we set up against them?

What style of play would they struggle to counter....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TheBestSideDrew

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 04:15:49 pm »
Enjoyed the opening piece. Thank you.

I think I would drop Lucas in next to Lovren with the usual 2 either side. Play Allen in front of them with Milner, Coutnihno then Lallana being busy between these lads and provide the linkage to Sturridge up top.

I might take a punt on Ward in goals as his distribution for counters at theirs might be useful.... Might. Big shout that!

I agree that Stewart is a good option - I'm unconvinced about Fermino, Ojo and Ibe as yet. Not that I dislike any of them, good prospects I'm sure - just not seen enough to make me shout.. I guess the Brazilian gets the nod for an attacking change. Toure and Skrtel on the bench for our defensive cover. I'm not sure the latter would do my ticker much good if he came on mind..!

Am really looking forward to the match - its great to be in Europe - long may in continue.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 04:25:15 pm »

I agree that Stewart is a good option - I'm unconvinced about Fermino, Ojo and Ibe as yet.

Stewart....... I have been impressed with him. His reading of the game, his interceptions.... is simply awesome.

We can also bring on Ibe or Ojo for one of our CMs and move Milner central.

I feel another Ibe situation coming on.  Stewart CAN NOT play in the EUROPA LEAGUE.  Please stop showing your ignorance and putting hiim in your lineups and posts.  Thanks

Lovren/Toure at CB,  Lucas/Milner at CM  (a la Everton)  and Allen on the bench as cover........ is how I'd deal with central areas.  The rest of the team picks itself really for me

Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »
Critical that we get an away goal or two in my opinion. We are more than capable of it.

Firmino might be the better option away from home, but its near on impossible to leave Sturridge out due to his form and indeed the quality he has.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 04:30:10 pm »
I feel another Ibe situation coming on.  Stewart CAN NOT play in the EUROPA LEAGUE.  Please stop showing your ignorance and putting hiim in your lineups and posts.  Thanks

Lovren/Toure at CB,  Lucas/Milner at CM  (a la Everton)  and Allen on the bench as cover........ is how I'd deal with central areas.  The rest of the team picks itself really for me

Your being ignorant and rude to boot.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 04:30:45 pm »
Difficult team to play against....

How should we set up against them?

What style of play would they struggle to counter....

They have not lost against Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona at home in the league. I was watching some Spanish football for once in my life and they said they are a counter attacking side. Rather than going for it maybe its one of those games to try to get them onto us.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 04:32:04 pm »
Think Allen should definitely start but doubt that he will; I worry a Lucas/Milner pairing would be bypassed by them but that's probably what we'll go with.  Hopefully we cope better with that sort of midfield than we did in the first-half against Dormund at Anfield.

Toure comes in for Sakho then I think the rest picks itself with Lallana, Coutinho and Firmino behind Sturridge. 

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 04:33:49 pm »
Their on SS2 at 730