Author Topic: Pre Match Thread - Newcastle v Liverpool - Sunday 6 December - KO 4pm  (Read 71614 times)

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes

Newcastle v Liverpool
                                                                          (Live on SkySports1 December 6, 2015. Kick off: 4pm)

The history between these two clubs is well-documented, as are the links between the two. Personally, it began on the 4th May 1974. FA Cup final day. Terry McDermott and Alan Kennedy lined up for Newcastle that day, we had Keegan. Who would’ve thought those players would swap sides in the future. Supermac had apparently said that they were going to smash us. They didn’t. A 20 yr-old Phil Thompson kept their goal machine very quiet, and so Bill Shankly lifted his final trophy for Liverpool before he retired. The game will also be remembered for two other things; Alec Lindsay’s brilliant and incorrectly ruled offside goal, and David Coleman’s commentary. Who can forget the immortal lines, ‘goals pay the rent and Keegan does his share’ and my personal favourite ‘Newcastle were undressed! They were absolutely stripped naked!’

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oKYiN0aUB8w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oKYiN0aUB8w</a>

41 years later, mention Newcastle v Liverpool and people will immediately think of the two 4-3 games at Anfield in the 90s. However, we’ve had some cracking results at their place over the years.
Dec 28, 2008 we scored five as we went top of the league – Gerrard scoring twice.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-0H6WRH6iKA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-0H6WRH6iKA</a>

An Owen hat-trick in 1998:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZPjsuJ7fS0I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZPjsuJ7fS0I</a>

And of course, who can forget the six nil thrashing in 2013. Newcastle’s heaviest home defeat in over eighty years would have been bad enough but was made even more embarrassing for the fact that Borini scored one of his two league goals for us that day.

On the fitness front, at the time of writing Coutinho and Rossiter look like they’ll be available, though the latter will be lacking training time. Enrique played for the U-21s this week so may be ready for the Sion game. Sakho is out until Dec 26 and Flanagan is anyone’s guess.

For Newcastle, Tiote should be back after missing their defeat at Palace. During that game they lost defender Lascelles so have recalled Mike Williamson from his loan to Wolves. Defender Kevin Mbabu is back after injury.
After keeping back-to-back clean sheets before the international break, Newcastle have shipped eight goals in two games against Palace and Leicester so we may see some changes to their usual line up.

So, last weekend Klopp came up against Garry Monk, the bookies favourite to be the next PL manager to be sacked. This weekend he comes up against the bookies second favourite. Will McClaren be given his marching orders on Monday morning?

So, questions you may or may not want to discuss:

1) With Can's suspension, who comes in?
2) After watching the dismantling and evisceration of Southampton in the cup, should we start thinking about a title push or will our home form be our undoing?
3) Will McClaren have an umbrella with him?
4) Do we have a best XI or is it now a case of a team for different occasions?
« Last Edit: December 3, 2015, 08:09:16 am by Henry Kissinger »
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Re: Pre Match Thread - Newcastle v Liverpool - Sunday 6 December - KO 4pm
« Reply #1 on: December 3, 2015, 08:12:45 am »
1) Henderson, naturally
2) Take one game at a time and then see what happens. In 2013/14 we were in this position and had our sets set on only 4th, yet just a few months later we nearly went on and won the title. Anything could happen, but we shouldn't let it get to our heads.
3) He best have one, when it rains it pours
4) Different team for different occasions I think. Think the contrast between our home and away form illustrates that best. What's best away from home where we've been devastating hasn't always worked at Anfield. And likewise.

I'm not going to be too cocky about this one as we haven't won there since the 6-0 a few seasons back and no matter how shite they've been, they always pull something off at St. James' Park. But fuck me, we're devastating away from home and Newcastle have been absolutely dire. Anything less than a win here and we should be mightily disappointed.

They have to come at us, they're not going to sit back with 50,000 Geordies screaming at them to attack. Which will of course play right into our hands, and if our players have got their shooting boots on then there's no reason why we can't go on and absolutely thrash them. The thought of Sturridrge, Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe, Benteke all playing some part whether from the start or off the bench makes shudder with excitement. McClaren could get the sack after this one as well.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2015, 08:14:29 am »

1) With Can's suspension, who comes in?
2) After watching the dismantling and evisceration of Southampton in the cup, should we start thinking about a title push or will our home form be our undoing?

1) I think Allen deserves to keep his spot after that performance, though it might also be a good game for Hendo to get some decent minutes. Milner obviously comes back in so for me, it'll be Milner, Lucas and one of Allen and Hendo. Wouldn't mind either of the two.
2) Let's see after the christmas period where we are and then I think that's when we start to really have an idea if it's a real possibility.
3) McLaren is an umbrella.
4) We might have know more when we we have a few Saturday games in a row without midweek games. Right now, we're rotating somewhat more to keep players fresh during a busy period.

Another fantastic OP. :)

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2015, 08:23:20 am »
A few Newcastle views on the match after seeing our result against Southampton, from here...

Liverpool trashed Manchester City, now Soton... On sunday, we will be involved in a gangbang, and we will be on the wrong side... again.
How bad are we going to loss,6,7,10?
It'll be like the Rugby world cup!
1-6... we're so f***ed
I'm actually scared of how humiliating it's going to be.

We should just stick eleven men on the goal line and hope for the best.
If McClaren is at St. Mary's probably around him smells like s***.
It's going to be so, so embarrassing!
If we kick off could we not immediately have all 10 outfield players form a circle around the ball, arms locked together so Liverpool can't get

the ball without fouling? Keep doing that for the entire match and get a 0-0. Presumably as the ball is in play it isn't time wasting....
..and you would trust our players to hold position for 90 minutes??!!
Even if we they could, no doubt Liverpool would score from their kick off anyway.
I've put Ł5 on us to lose 6-1 returns Ł1,005 and Ł5 on us to lose 7-0 which returns Ł2505
Jokes on you when it's 7-1...

I think they're feeling positive ;D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2015, 08:24:13 am »
Nice OP. Interesting looking back on our history at St James' Park considering Mourinho has never won there!! I loved that thrashing there in 2013.

1) With Can's suspension, who come's in?

For the first time in a long time I couldn't care who starts. We have a really strong squad and everyone is on form and performing. Milner has scored and created numerous goals, Henderson is our captain and one of our best players while Allen played really well against Southampton and picked up an assist. Nice problems to have!!

This is a f**ked up league this year. No one is going to run away with it and all games are tough. Some of the traditional mid table teams have picked up some good players and have shown they're capable of beating the 'top' teams. I think if Sturridge stays fit enough to play a majority of our league games we could go on a really good run. Anything could be possible. I think this is one of the strongest squads I've seen.

He'll need more than that to protect him. We look so hungry at the moment while Newcastle look weak and feeble. If we play anything like we did last night, this could get messy for Newcastle.

We have a squad. With the workrate being asked of the players not just on the pitch but in training, we need to rotate and we have the squad to do that. I see Klopp as a mixture between Rafa and Klopp. We have the defensive organisation of a Rafa team but with the flair and creativity of a Rodgers team.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2015, 08:25:09 am »
A few Newcastle views on the match after seeing our result against Southampton, from here...

:lmao
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2015, 08:30:00 am »
Let's not forget xabi alonso's wonder goal in 2009?

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #7 on: December 3, 2015, 08:41:25 am »
Let's not forget xabi alonso's wonder goal in 2009?

2006 mate, and it was at Anfield.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 3, 2015, 08:42:07 am »
I think we will beat the barcodes, but it might not be as easy as it may seem after watching us dismantle Southampton. We may not score a bag full, but no worries ... three points is all we need. The five teams above us all have winnable games this weekend, so the dream outcome last week where several gave up points is not on the cards. Lets do this.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #9 on: December 3, 2015, 08:44:13 am »
Looking forward to this. They'll probably look to do what the Swans did, so reckon Phil and Bob should start, get some intricate play going inbetween them.

Offline krizzobizzle

• Mr Fun at a party near you soon!
  • Kopite
« Reply #10 on: December 3, 2015, 08:49:00 am »
I think it will be like a home game for us, in the sense that Newcastle will stick 11 players behind the ball and hope for the best.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 3, 2015, 09:43:48 am »
Awful feeling this will be a turgid affair.

As for who plays up top god knows. I'd go with Sturridge again with Firminio coming back and Phil. Milner, Lucas and Allen in midfield.

With the sion game a dead rubber we can rotate comfortably and give this 110%. My worry is that this could easily be Hull 2 years ago.

All these selection headaches for once.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 3, 2015, 09:48:52 am »
Awful feeling this will be a turgid affair.

As for who plays up top god knows. I'd go with Sturridge again with Firminio coming back and Phil. Milner, Lucas and Allen in midfield.

With the sion game a dead rubber we can rotate comfortably and give this 110%. My worry is that this could easily be Hull 2 years ago.

All these selection headaches for once.

Thrash Chelsea, City, and Southampton away.. still being pessimistic.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #13 on: December 3, 2015, 09:54:41 am »
Our squad is looking competitive at the moment (with the exception of fullbacks perhaps), but the real strength in depth is in the front three positions. I mean, after a midweek game, we can potentially field here a fresh trio of Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino.

Incredible.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 3, 2015, 09:56:29 am »
I think we as a fan base need to keep ourselves in check ahead of this game. Everything points to a comfortable win but when is football ever that easy? Newcastle away can always be a difficult game.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 3, 2015, 09:57:34 am »
It wont be easy and they know they need to perform after getting battered by Palace last week.

Offline Gerrard-2-Torres

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: December 3, 2015, 09:59:29 am »
I think it will be like a home game for us, in the sense that Newcastle will stick 11 players behind the ball and hope for the best.

Definitely. We need to learn how to break teams down when our opponents park the bus. I don't see this lot coming at us and playing expansive football. To be honest, they are a shite side. Some quality individual players, but McClaren has completely fucked it over there he'll likely get the sack within the month.

Coutinho and Henderson will surely come back for this match. But the question is, does Klopp go with Benteke or Studge? Or both? Or Firmino up top? Beautiful selection dilemma to have.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #17 on: December 3, 2015, 10:00:25 am »
It wont be easy and they know they need to perform after getting battered by Palace last week.
They got battered by Leicester before that and didn't improve. They look shot.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #18 on: December 3, 2015, 10:17:53 am »
Good op!

I'm back to that feeling where I just can't wait for the next game to come again.

I think we will win, comfortably.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 3, 2015, 10:36:27 am »
Excellent Op!  Very excited for this game.

As others have said, I'm not overly concerned about who replaces Can.  It was disappointing to lose him but if he has to miss a match then this is probably the best one for him to skip.

In terms of title talk, it's the same rule as 13-14.  Last league game is done: we go again.  One game at a time.  It's quite correct to take nothing for granted or get ahead of ourselves but - fuck me!  After yesterday it's hard to keep your mouth from watering. 

Newcastle fans are passionate and generally a good sort but reading that selection of posts they're already beaten.  And no matter how pumped up their players will be for this game, we only need to score one and I strongly suspect the flood gates will open.

I remember how people said the space City offered us played right into our hands.  Newcastle are so disjointed they could potentially offer us acres of space with no team cohesion whatsoever.  If that happens this game could prove to be the perfect storm; we could achieve a result that would rival Palace '89.

Based on what has happened I'd say we have an XI for all seasons.  I trust that whatever team Klopp puts out it will be the best XI for that match.  It's really tempting to field an almost identical side to yesterday but I don't think we will. 

As ever, let's not be complacent.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 3, 2015, 10:37:54 am »

We're slowly getting that fear factor back from a few seasons ago. When opposition fans are scared shitless at the thought of playing us  :)

Still a bit to do to reach that level, but not too far at all.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 3, 2015, 10:45:10 am »

:lmao I'd take 1-0. Every game for the rest of the season  ;D

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 3, 2015, 10:49:31 am »
Thrash Chelsea, City, and Southampton away.. still being pessimistic.

That isn't pessimism. He, and I think Newcastle will make this a turgid game. I expect to win, but maybe not a spectacle.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 3, 2015, 10:52:53 am »
That isn't pessimism. He, and I think Newcastle will make this a turgid game. I expect to win, but maybe not a spectacle.

'My worry is that this could easily be Hull 2 years ago'

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 3, 2015, 10:53:54 am »
Reckon Newcastle will have learnt from they thrashing at Palace. Don't think it will be an easy game like many are predicting. We'll have to work hard for the win. We've not been that great against Newcastle recently
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 3, 2015, 10:56:14 am »
Tough game!! We need to ensure that our expectations are set accordingly! There is a middle ground between our optimism and Newcastle pessism ahead of this game - it will be difficult..

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #26 on: December 3, 2015, 10:57:36 am »
If we score the first goal it could easily be another rout.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 3, 2015, 10:57:41 am »
Reckon Newcastle will have learnt from they thrashing at Palace. Don't think it will be an easy game like many are predicting. We'll have to work hard for the win. We've not been that great against Newcastle recently

What randomly makes you think they would have learnt? Did they learn from losing to Leicester 3-0 at home by then losing 5-1 to Palace?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #28 on: December 3, 2015, 10:57:42 am »
Of course it won't be easy. Newcastle are in a bad state now and they have their backs against the wall. Playing away again will help us finding space though.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #29 on: December 3, 2015, 10:58:38 am »
I think we will batter them, just hope I don't get battered as I am sat in the home end!

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #30 on: December 3, 2015, 11:19:21 am »
I won't be so optimistic.

Newcastle will sit deep.  I feel Hendo is ready to start

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 3, 2015, 11:19:47 am »
'My worry is that this could easily be Hull 2 years ago'

another unbeliever in the ranks! >:(

I'll get the pitchforks!!!!

If we score the first goal it could easily be another rout.

If the barcodes set up to park the bus then it will be a scrappy affair. We need to control the game a bit better to break down their defence. Coutinho and Firmino will be key I think. Don't really care much about the performance as long as we pickup 3 points like the swansea game.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 3, 2015, 11:22:23 am »
Newcastle have been dreadful recently, if they embark on a revival soon it's probably still not going to be against the Mighty Reds, we can smash these.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #33 on: December 3, 2015, 11:25:37 am »
If the barcodes set up to park the bus then it will be a scrappy affair. We need to control the game a bit better to break down their defence. Coutinho and Firmino will be key I think. Don't really care much about the performance as long as we pickup 3 points like the swansea game.
The only way to play against us at this moment is to park the bus, however given the circumstance Newcastle is in with fans on their back and playing at home they`ll just have to come at us a bit and if we get the first goal their heads will drop and they`ll be thinking `oh, here we go again` and our win after that should be inevitable.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 3, 2015, 11:27:49 am »

How many of these thrashings have they had and they're getting even worse. Half the players don't seem to give enough of a shit to learn their lesson

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 3, 2015, 11:28:49 am »
I think that there is a danger that Newcastle's expectations are so low that they will try to be the away team and put 10 men behind the ball. The crowd might even go for it if they are worried about being spanked.

Our form won't last forever and nor will their's. I think we will win, but I expect Newcastle to show some pride. Some of their players are decent.

On a more general note, I love Newcastle, I wish they were better run. There seem to be a bunch of Premiership teams that are rotting. Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle get a bit worse every year. It's like they are getting decadent on the money and when you see how much hungrier and enthusiastic the promoted sides are, I don't fancy any of their chances in the Championship.
Xerxes MBE

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 3, 2015, 11:31:49 am »
I think that there is a danger that Newcastle's expectations are so low that they will try to be the away team and put 10 men behind the ball. The crowd might even go for it if they are worried about being spanked.

Our form won't last forever and nor will their's. I think we will win, but I expect Newcastle to show some pride. Some of their players are decent.

On a more general note, I love Newcastle, I wish they were better run. There seem to be a bunch of Premiership teams that are rotting. Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle get a bit worse every year. It's like they are getting decadent on the money and when you see how much hungrier and enthusiastic the promoted sides are, I don't fancy any of their chances in the Championship.

Not sure the talent is in question with a few of the squad, just desire. They've had multiple pastings in this calendar year and they show no signs of putting a fork in that.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 3, 2015, 11:32:02 am »
I don't think the barcodes are capable of parking the bus.  It's tyres are flat, it's engine is knackered and all the windows have been put in so the ball will go clean through it anyway.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 3, 2015, 11:33:27 am »
It's so hard not to be excited about how things are developing and having to reign in our expectations.  The thing is that we can actually go now,  subject to Phil being fit,  with more or less a new team forward from Lucas.  If they are going with the diamond again I would love to see Lucas,  Milner, Henderson and Phil at the point of the diamond with Bob playing closer to big Benteke making the runs past the back 4.  You then have Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Ibe to come off the bench.  Give Daniel 30 minutes v Newcastle and then a start v Sion.  Then a start maybe v West Brom.  He needs to be fully fit by the Leicester game and the big games in January,.

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #39 on: December 3, 2015, 11:37:27 am »
All of the Pre Match Thread OP's this season have  been quality.

A stand out St James' park game was the Steve Nichol hat trick circa 1988. After 4 games that season he was sitting on 6 goals or something like that. Not bad for a full back.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.