Author Topic: please help, i'm going bonkers here  (Read 1322 times)

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
please help, i'm going bonkers here
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:10:51 pm »
hi,

i'm trying to get a wireless signal in my garage using home plugs.

Have plugs set up in other places in house, have checked them and all receive a signal and i can browse internet.

Have two routers, current 1 new black sky router, number 2 old white sky router, that works fine apart from a loose adsl input.

Logged into router 2, disabled dhcp and changed ip number. Plugged in i can see and connect to the new network but no internet connection. If i plug a ethernet cable into router number 2, it connects straight away and i can use google etc..

Am I missing something or does the sky router even recoganise the ethernet connection for wireless?

I need the wireless in gagrage for my phone so the live ethernet connection is no good to me without the wireless.

Any help would be gratefully received.

thanks for reading

tinner

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: please help, i'm going bonkers here
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:45:01 am »
further info

I have the white sky hub with a damaged adsl and a new black hub.
    Black hub set up working grand, connected to an airport extreme which connects to an airport express upstairs to give me wireless upstairs. I have a few homeplugs connected to the black hub which also work perfectly.
    I'm trying to use the second white sky hub to give me a wireless signal in my garage.
    So have set up second hub with a ip outside the dhcp range by one (255) after setting up the black range to end at 254.
    Disabled dhcp on white hub. Have wireless set up exactly same on both hubs.
    So connect white hub to black hub and by ethernet to laptop. Internet works.
    Homeplug placed in garage, connected by ethernet to white hub, connect to laptop via ethernet, internet works.
    Disconnect ethernet no wireless signal??
    If i change the name of the wireless network, i can connect to the white hub, but no internet.
    What am I doing wrong???

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 01:06:31 am »
Have you tried turning it off and on?
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:59:58 am »
Have you tried turning it off and on?
:no Bastard!!!

and it's still not working  ;D

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:40:20 am »
Have you tried enabling dhcp?
Reset button on router?
Uninstall/Reinstall driver?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:48:55 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 08:14:19 am »

So have set up second hub with a ip outside the dhcp range by one (255) after setting up the black range to end at 254.

I wonder if this is your problem.

According to this

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/convert_wifi_router_to_access_point.htm

the second hub should be within the first hub's subnet range. The relevant bit (where for you, like in US society  ;) new=black, old=white):

"Performing the Conversion

In addition to changing general settings, turning a wireless router into an access point consists of disabling its DHCP server and hooking it up to the new router correctly. Start by configuring the general settings. Plug in the old router (but don't connect it to the new router yet) and log into the Web-based configuration utility by typing its IP address into a Web browser. Then at least configure the following settings:

IP Address: Change the IP address to be within the subnet of the new router. For example, if the new router's IP is 192.168.0.1, the old router could be set to 192.168.0.2.
Channel: Change the channel to one of the three non-overlapping channels, 1, 6, or 11, while making sure any coexisting or overlapping routers or APs aren't set to the same channel.
SSID: Typically, all the APs of a network should have the same SSID, so roaming works when clients move around and change APs. However, if roaming isn't crucial, think about setting the old 802.11g router to a different network name. This can help the users distinguish between the g and n access; especially useful if performance is important.
Security: Remember to set up encryption, preferably WPA or WPA2, on all the wireless routers and APs.
To turn off the DHCP server, find the DHCP settings, usually on the main or network tab. There should be a check box or something similar to toggle the server on and off; disable it. Then make sure to save the changes.

When the configuration is done, put the old router in place. Then connect an Ethernet cable between them, plugging into the regular Ethernet ports of each. Do not connect it to the old router's Internet/WAN port."

I suspect the reason wired still works is that in that case the white router is acting as a simple network switch and you're essentially just connected to the black router, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:26:51 am by reniformis »
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 05:51:51 pm »
thanks lads for help.

so have found out if white hub is connected directly to black hub, wireless works on both hubs, can connect to both pages through connection using different ip addresses.

Unplug and connect it to homeplugs, ethernet works on white hub but no wireless. I suppose the plugs are the problem?