Author Topic: Fan's Sponsor  (Read 11707 times)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Re: Fan's Sponsor
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 11:40:40 pm »
I still think the answer to lowering ticket prices is still for the premier league to stipulate the next tv deal has a ring fenced percentage to be used for this sole purpose . We get ever increasing mega tv deals but the agents and players know the amounts and milk it with ever increasing contracts .

Knowing they can't get at that money will ease there demands , whether the clubs would implement the price reduction honestly is another matter .

This is a decent idea but the FA and Premier League wouldn't ring fence enough to make but a token discount on ticket prices.

They can't ring fence much to help grass roots football, so I don't see them helping match goers much.

Edit: Just googled and Premier League attendance last season for all clubs was 13.9 million. So for 5 quid off ticket prices that's 90 mil..roughly the League would have to ring fence. Add in a five year tv contract and that adds up to 450 mil over the life of a five year deal. Chances of that happening... :P

If the club gets a sponsor they get more benefit than the "League" does and you'd have over sight from the fan sponsor to make sure what they agree to gets put back on ticket prices.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:50:24 pm by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 02:20:21 am »
Would bring any brand closer to the fans than any existing type of sponsorship.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 02:27:12 am »

I was CraigDS, the just Craig?, and now a pair of tits because I made a joke about someone else's name. No biggy really  ;D

Thought it was a pair of eyes and nose myself. Guess not.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 02:29:24 am »
Feels like it's on the right track, definitely.

I know that sometimes events have special deals for customers of certain companies (e.g. standard chartered customers have to login to their account and click a link and then the ticket office will apply a 10% discount, etc). Maybe something like that is viable?

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 03:36:05 am »
I'll sponsor the goalies - Each game they manage to keep a clean jockstrap, let alone a sheet, I'll donate a million Lira to the 'Make Runcorn Normal' campaign.

Maybe we can get this bloke as our second goalkeeper under the condition that Dunkin Donuts subsidizes the tickets. Cheaper tickets for the fans and a better backup goalie. As long as he dives the right way he is an improvement.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2014, 07:48:58 am »

Maybe we can get this bloke as our second goalkeeper under the condition that Dunkin Donuts subsidizes the tickets. Cheaper tickets for the fans and a better backup goalie. As long as he dives the right way he is an improvement.

But imagine the uproar on here if he dives the right way but the ball goes straight through the ring in his middle and we lose

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2014, 12:40:29 pm »
Good idea Craig - though I can't help but think shouldn't the club be looking to do this already with their growing array of sponsors? To give something back to the people who make the club what it is in these shitty financial times.

The club realises it's pricing fans out of the game and there has been a change in atmosphere for the worse for it - surely it should be looking to take a percentage from all it's sponsorship deals to put towards keeping tickets lower than what they are? I'd like to hear Ayre or FSG's reasons as to why they already don't (without the 'we need every penny to compete' lame excuse).

That said, if a fans sponsor could achieve those lower ticket prices then why not...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »
Good idea Craig - though I can't help but think shouldn't the club be looking to do this already with their growing array of sponsors? To give something back to the people who make the club what it is in these shitty financial times.

The club realises it's pricing fans out of the game and there has been a change in atmosphere for the worse for it - surely it should be looking to take a percentage from all it's sponsorship deals to put towards keeping tickets lower than what they are? I'd like to hear Ayre or FSG's reasons as to why they already don't (without the 'we need every penny to compete' lame excuse).

That said, if a fans sponsor could achieve those lower ticket prices then why not...

There are certainly arguments for and against the club doing that, and I can see the merits to both arguments so I'm certainly not on either side of that argument to be honest. My only issue is I really can't see the club lowering ticket prices, certainly with a £120m stand to pay for, when other clubs we're competing with are not. Ideally I'd rather this thread not turn into a debate about that though, as are other active threads on here having that exact discussion already.

That is why I tried to think of a way where the club could do something (use it's ability to attract a sponsor, seems it likes to sell and market the famous atmosphere at Anfield) and the fans could directly benefit from it all.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2014, 12:48:36 pm »
Would bring any brand closer to the fans than any existing type of sponsorship.

Just to give an example, I would genuinely use, say a certain bookies, if they had this type of link with the club. Not sure if it would make financial sense for them, but you get the point.

'Liverpool FC fan sponsor' is a great tagline to connect with those Liverpool fans who won't directly benefit too.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2014, 12:51:09 pm »
Just to give an example, I would genuinely use, say a certain bookies, if they had this type of link with the club. Not sure if it would make financial sense for them, but you get the point.

Exactly.

I mean I know loads of reds who only buy certain brands because they sponsor the club, or once sponsored the club (decades ago!). They were just shirt sponsors or less in a lot of occasions.

Imagine the goodwill a company coming on board in full knowledge their money is being used to lower ticket prices for fans, not to mention the sort of media coverage this would get.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2014, 01:45:32 pm »
The only drawback I can think of is would you still buy a can of John Smith's if you knew they were subsidising the bitter's tickets? Or would you go for another brand?
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »
The only drawback I can think of is would you still buy a can of John Smith's if you knew they were subsidising the bitter's tickets? Or would you go for another brand?

Same goes for any sponsor though I think. Would you buy a Chevrolet knowing they give United £50m a year? Or Adidas now they are going to give them £60m+ a year?

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »
Same goes for any sponsor though I think. Would you buy a Chevrolet knowing they give United £50m a year? Or Adidas now they are going to give them £60m+ a year?
I think  there's a bit of distance from sponsors as it is, I'm all for it btw, just see how corporations can view it as a negative.

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »
I think  there's a bit of distance from sponsors as it is, I'm all for it btw, just see how corporations can view it as a negative.

No there is definitely a down side to sponsoring one club only, I think that's a general issue no matter what they are sponsoring though. Another reason the suggestion for it to include away fan's tickets could also work as the sponsor would get the goodwill from at least a section of each club's fans then.

Offline koppitekop11

• dog shit
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2014, 05:51:54 pm »
No there is definitely a down side to sponsoring one club only, I think that's a general issue no matter what they are sponsoring though. Another reason the suggestion for it to include away fan's tickets could also work as the sponsor would get the goodwill from at least a section of each club's fans then.

That's a very good point. I think every supporter of every club acknowledges that this is a nationwide issue and not just one which affects their own respective clubs. Put it this way, if a sponsor subsidised a rivals tickets, came out and publicly acknowledged the fact that ticket prices are too high and brought media coverage too it, then I would be more than happy to start buying their product(s)/using their brand as it could only have a snowball affect which would hopefully mean LFC would soon follow suit.

Excellent idea mate!.
PSN: Pig-Swill     Xbox Live: PigSwill23
there's been a few nights ive had to relieve myself with her beside me in the bed, in fairness to her, she made some sex noises which helped me along the way

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2014, 04:04:56 am »
This is an excellent idea in my opinion, but I wonder if any big brands would have the balls to go for it? The thing about traditional advertising is that it works through exposure - it's widely considered a fact in marketing businesses that exposure alone is sufficient to build brand trust because of how a person's mind works, which is why they're content to pay such staggering amounts of money to see their names on billboards around the stadium or on the shirts of players. I think it's a novel concept that could work out really well but it would demand working in tandem with the club, which makes me doubt if it's a realistic option unless there's a strong push for it.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2014, 01:37:36 pm »
I had this idea a little while ago, but with all the negativity going round I didn't bother posting it up, but seems we've had a good win and a few days before the next game I guess now is a good a time as any.

We all know ticket prices are an issue, and I think it's agreed by most that this is more something which will need to change league wide from the powers that be at the top rather than individual clubs doing it on their own. So it got me thinking of ways to subsidise ticket prices until that day happens, so the fans benefit and the club doesn't lose out on any income, and I thought of a Fan's Sponsor.

We have sponsors for everything now, paying ridiculous amounts of money to be things like the official coffee supplier (Dunkin Donuts apparently pay £11m per year for that privilege). So why couldn't the club/SOS/fans find a Fan's Sponsor which pays a similar amount? The amount of goodwill that sponsor would get from the fans would be pretty huge, and the most the club would have to offer is a little access like they already give to the other sponsors, maybe some advertising on printed tickets, inside the ground, etc. It certainly doesn't have to take anything away from existing or future club sponsors.

So what would this mean for ticket prices?

I'm making some guesstimates here as I don't have the official figures, but let's assume the club currently has approx 37k 'normal' priced tickets after you take off away, corps, sponsor/club tickets. Let's also guesstimate the average price of a ticket is £40 (PL game, taking into account ST prices are cheaper per game, as well as kids and OAPs). Let's also assume a Fan's Sponsor brings in a little less than a coffee sponsor these days, so £10m.

Over a 19 home game PL season that is 703,000 'normal' tickets sold between ST's and general sale. Meaning a saving of approx £14.22 per ticket (£270 off a ST) - putting the average ticket price at just under £26. I know these figures are all based on guesstimates but they are probably not miles out, if anyone has any more accurate capacity figures for each stand I'd happily work them out more accurately.

Am I talking crazy things here or not? Surely there is a lot more benefit to a company being a Fan's Sponsor than a Coffee Supplier, and therefore likely one could be found? This is also not something the club would necessarily have to take the lead on, with the clubs backing surely this could be something SOS/fans could help bring to reality?

P.S - Mods I know this could potentially go in one of the atmosphere threads maybe, but was hoping it was actually a good idea and being in it's own thread may let it gain some traction, and maybe Ayre on his daily browse of RAWK will put it into action.  ;D
Brilliant idea. Everyone wins. Nobody loses. [emoji4]

Offline Alanslad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2014, 02:18:58 pm »
I think this is a great idea. If we could do this and get a % of the new tv deal used to reduce ticket prices, could potentially make a big difference to the fans.

Offline Retro Red

• Listen to this Man.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2014, 04:40:37 am »
About 18 months ago SOS, Man United Supporters Trust, Arsenal Supporters Trust and Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust proposed to both the Premier league and our individual clubs that a proportion of the sponsorship money be ringfenced to reduce ticket prices. This is where the £200,000 per club away ticket subsidy comes from. Approaching the companies involved with football is high on the agenda for next steps. After all they are only throwing money at the game in order to get their products to the people who follow the game, not to just make millionaires even richer.

However, in so far as they wouldn't support the fans getting their own sponsorship, Liverpool see the Kop as integral to what they themselves offer sponsors. Hence the new adverts under the Kop roof to frame the pre-match flags and banners ritual.

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2014, 12:56:11 am »
I might be a bit of a sad bastard, and possibly taking it too far, but I refuse to buy a Samsung product, never bought Sharp products, never used Vodaphone etc etc.

I'm sure I contribute somewhere, but never ever knowingly so.

I bet it would work the other way as well.

I'm not a ST holder, and can't afford to go the game anymore, but if I needed a TV and our sponsor was Sony, I'd buy one because I knew they were helping my 'mates' go the game for a reasonable price.

Mel mentioned Coca Cola earlier, imagine 10% of Liverpool fans switching from Pepsi because of what they did ??

I'm the same I'll have nothing to do with anybody that has had their name plastered over the Mancs shirt.  I'm happy enough to buy Samsung products though, mainly because Chelsea are horrible, but still nothing compared to Man United.  It's like comparing the bloke in the pub who is a twat to bin Laden.  I've even sworn off Adidas gear since they decided to give 700 million quid to the fucking inbred rabble.
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline Abrak

• Pulling his Peter Principle
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2014, 10:22:12 am »
I see a sort of logical disconnect in this.

I often read about how our sponsors should pay their money and p*** off.

I thought the matchday supporters were against sponsorship of the stadium naming rights?

I wonder how many matchday supporters bank at Standard Chartered?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2014, 10:31:48 am »
I see a sort of logical disconnect in this.

I often read about how our sponsors should pay their money and p*** off.

Often? I've maybe seen one or two max say this. The general consensus are sponsors are a (unfortunate) necessary part of the modern game.

I thought the matchday supporters were against sponsorship of the stadium naming rights?

Not sure what this has to do with it, as this isn't about stadium naming rights.

I wonder how many matchday supporters bank at Standard Chartered?

Probably not many given they aren't a UK high street bank. If Natwest sponsored us and a fan was changing banks I'm fairly certain, as long as what they offered was competitive, that a lot of fans would go with them due to the connection.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2014, 10:56:31 am »
The other sponsors would never let it happen.  A big thing with sponsors is that there is an understood hierarchy of sponsors; that there are no competing brands who sponsor the same club; etc.  If one sponsor was seen as being specifically for the fans, then it implies that the others aren't.  So as nice a concept as it would be for that one sponsor and for the match-going fans, the second-order impact on our other sponsors would be too great for it to happen.

Offline Abrak

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2014, 11:01:22 am »
Often? I've maybe seen one or two max say this. The general consensus are sponsors are a (unfortunate) necessary part of the modern game.

Yes but I personally dont see it as 'unfortunate'. In Germany sponsors pay for pretty much everything including large stadiums and low ticket price. The very fact that you consider sponsorship as 'unfortunate' illustrates as to how you are totally missing the point.

Not sure what this has to do with it, as this isn't about stadium naming rights.

Well it is about a sponsor subsidizing the stadium going supporters (not that there is any shortage of people willing to fill the stadium). Why not allow the sponsor to directly support the stadium through naming rights sponsorship?

Probably not many given they aren't a UK high street bank. If Natwest sponsored us and a fan was changing banks I'm fairly certain, as long as what they offered was competitive, that a lot of fans would go with them due to the connection.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2014, 11:06:27 am »
The other sponsors would never let it happen.  A big thing with sponsors is that there is an understood hierarchy of sponsors; that there are no competing brands who sponsor the same club; etc.  If one sponsor was seen as being specifically for the fans, then it implies that the others aren't.  So as nice a concept as it would be for that one sponsor and for the match-going fans, the second-order impact on our other sponsors would be too great for it to happen.

So why would a stand sponsor be allowed? Given that would effectively be paying for an expanded stadium to allow more fans in.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2014, 11:10:56 am »
Yes but I personally dont see it as 'unfortunate'. In Germany sponsors pay for pretty much everything including large stadiums and low ticket price. The very fact that you consider sponsorship as 'unfortunate' illustrates as to how you are totally missing the point.

I didn't say I consider it unfortunate, I said there seems to be a general consensus that it's unfortunate modern football requires sponsors, rather than what you said that most fans think sponsors should pay their money and piss off.

The vast majority of fans accept sponsors are required, and the clubs sponsors do in general get a good amount of support from the fans, even if they have that feeling about it being unfortunate they are needed.

Well it is about a sponsor subsidizing the stadium going supporters (not that there is any shortage of people willing to fill the stadium). Why not allow the sponsor to directly support the stadium through naming rights sponsorship?

Because the money would then go to the club to pay for the stadium, which the club could do anyway if they wanted. This is designed to lower ticket prices without lowering the income to the club.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2014, 02:02:45 pm »

I don't think that supporters would split their thoughts that way. If a company goes in for ticket price support, yeah they should see many benefits. The other companies who the club recruits as corporate sponsors, supporters would understand it helps the club buy players, etc. and support those companies buy utilizing their products as well.

Offline SlowRap

• Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2014, 03:22:35 pm »
To make it whole scale I think a sponsor should support the league in general like we now have Barclay's - official sponsor of the PL. We'll have Samsung official sponsor of the fans of the premier league.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2014, 04:24:45 pm »
I think this is a really interesting idea. The question I would have is how the sponsorship is going to be visible.

The point of sponsorship is that your logo is displayed or your name said publicly and frequently in association with the team. Standard Chartered have their corporate logo on our shirts and so get free banner advertising every time any part of one of our games appears in the media, whether that is press or TV.

Dunkin donuts is more of a licensing deal, where they get to use the club crest, players and so on in their advertising and get the benefit of association.

A fans sponsor would need to see something in return, especially if you're talking about the sort of figures mentioned here. So what do they actually get for their money?

Can you imagine the Kop singing "Always coca cola" or similar during a match? That's the kind of exposure I think you'd need to be offering to make this work. If you are sponsoring the fans, how are the fans going to help you sell your product or service? What audience are you reaching with this huge chunk of your marketing budget?

I do think there are possibilities, but it's going to come down to this question in the end.

Also, it goes without saying that the sponsor couldn't be a competitor of any existing club sponsors.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2014, 08:24:48 pm »
As much money as Ticketmaster skims on tickets, they should be the first ones to be approached.  :P

Offline Abrak

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2014, 11:11:00 pm »
I didn't say I consider it unfortunate, I said there seems to be a general consensus that it's unfortunate modern football requires sponsors, rather than what you said that most fans think sponsors should pay their money and piss off.

The vast majority of fans accept sponsors are required, and the clubs sponsors do in general get a good amount of support from the fans, even if they have that feeling about it being unfortunate they are needed.

Because the money would then go to the club to pay for the stadium, which the club could do anyway if they wanted. This is designed to lower ticket prices without lowering the income to the club.
I actually think sponsorship is a good thing and has the ability to be used to reduce ticket prices and expand the stadium (not that we have seen any evidence of that.) So viewing as something that is 'required' or 'unfortunate' seems to be to be missing the point.

'Because the money would be used to pay for the stadium'. Currently we have a situation where there is no direct sponsorship of the stadium itself (well not a lot in any case.) On that basis, the club is pretty much obligated to make the match going fans pay for the stadium. If a sponsor paid for the building of the stadium (through naming rights), the club should feel obligated to pass on a decent percentage of the savings it makes in building the stadium to the people who actually use it - in effect basing the return on the stadium from match day ticketing to the cost (to the club) of building the stadium.

The idea of 'matchday going supporter sponsorship' doesnt sit well with me. We are a club and our sponsors should be commonly aligned with the interests of the club. The club had to decided how to allocate sponsorship money. Really the concept of 'matchday ticket supporter' sponsorship only makes sense if you see as carving off some existing sponsorship in favor of the matchday supporters or as the club not treating existing matchday supporters fairly.

Offline Bjinxi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2014, 11:26:20 pm »
I like the idea although I have to say that there are limits to it. Someone mentioned the sponsors in Germany. There is a perfect example of how stupid it sometimes is but then again its from Bayern Munich who are pricks anyway...

they have a section for Telekom which they sponsor, and people can apply for tickets in this section (which are a bit cheaper than other ones) BUT they have to wear hideous white ponchos so it looks like a large Telekom T

Think that everyone will agree that this is a tad too much ;)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2014, 01:03:29 am »
I think this is a really interesting idea. The question I would have is how the sponsorship is going to be visible.

The point of sponsorship is that your logo is displayed or your name said publicly and frequently in association with the team. Standard Chartered have their corporate logo on our shirts and so get free banner advertising every time any part of one of our games appears in the media, whether that is press or TV.

Dunkin donuts is more of a licensing deal, where they get to use the club crest, players and so on in their advertising and get the benefit of association.

A fans sponsor would need to see something in return, especially if you're talking about the sort of figures mentioned here. So what do they actually get for their money?

Can you imagine the Kop singing "Always coca cola" or similar during a match? That's the kind of exposure I think you'd need to be offering to make this work. If you are sponsoring the fans, how are the fans going to help you sell your product or service? What audience are you reaching with this huge chunk of your marketing budget?

I do think there are possibilities, but it's going to come down to this question in the end.

Also, it goes without saying that the sponsor couldn't be a competitor of any existing club sponsors.
Been thinking the same. There are things we could do that would interest sponsors, but I'm not sure if we would be happy to do it. For example you could offer a sponsor's logo to go as a surfer over the Kop in between our other flags. Out corporate banners to mix our own ones, for the iconic Kop pictures. Personally I wouldn't want to see that, it's too much of a sell-out too me, but others might disagree and just go for the money.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2014, 01:40:39 am »
This is the sort of thing that could be an endowment. What we actually need is a benefactor or more likely several. Someone wealthy enough to donate a large sum for good will and tax write off that will produce around ten million a year from the endowment to subsidize tickets.

This would be an awesome undertaking for a supporters group. Find methods to subsidize tickets.
*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2015, 04:23:33 am »
Five billion telly deal and another 3 billion to come when the International rights are finalized.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2015, 05:37:18 am »
I'll sponsor the goalies - Each game they manage to keep a clean jockstrap, let alone a sheet, I'll donate a million Lira to the 'Make Runcorn Normal' campaign.

Ha ha.

We could have a special section for the sunny Runny visitor.

And it's a good idea Craig. Hope it gets some traction

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2015, 04:03:58 pm »
Craig

Did you ever run this by Spirit of Shankly?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2015, 04:06:34 pm »
Craig

Did you ever run this by Spirit of Shankly?

If I'm honest I haven't done anything with it yet as simply not had the time (what, between sleeping and being FSG's mouth piece on here of course).

I'm sure plenty of SOS members are on here, as are people who actively work for/with them, so if you read this and think it's something you could work with then feel free to run with it.

Offline Jay_Mc

• Kopite
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2015, 02:35:09 pm »
Some of the stuff in here has been thought of, by SOS and others, including the sponsorship angle. Will reply properly in more detail, likely tomorrow given our match tonight etc.
What would you rather - Tell your kids you sat and moaned on an internet forum or that you done something about it

Join Your Union

www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Jay_Mc

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2015, 10:35:15 am »
As promised, here is a slightly longer reply.

SOS have certainly discussed this idea previously. It's been a fairly public and long held view that the money flowing in to the game should be re-directed (or at least some of it) to help other 'stakeholders' in the game - supporters, grassroots etc.

Now with the growth in TV income, range of partnerships with different brands, alongside the growing value of these sponsorships and partnerships, I think it is fair to say that the importance of some revenue streams has diminished, or certainly the need to keep increasing it. One of those is ticket pricing, particularly given how the club use us supporters as a marketing tool and how these sponsors and partners invest because they want to be a part of what we are.

I think there are two ways you can do. The first is to say that a % or a set amount of revenue (league wide or club specific, or both) should be set aside to act as a subsidy for ticket prices. The second is that ,as pointed out in this thread, you get a specific sponsor for fans. There are questions and issues to arise from that - who chooses the sponsor, what does the sponsor want that may not cost the club anything, how much would a sponsor pay, is it that it's only this sponsors money that should be used to subsidise prices or should we still be asking for a bit of all the other riches.

An example I suppose is Barclay's sponsorship of the league. They embarked on their big #ThankYou campaign, one of the things I said to the Premier League at a meeting with them was they would have been better to use all the money spent on that - consultants, tv ads, marketing etc - and just put it in a pot for the people they tried to say thank you to make those coach trips and tickets more affordable.

All this though depends on the willingness currently of the clubs across the league, collectively and individually. Obviously we have the Ticket Working Group at Liverpool and I am personally hopeful that this can deliver. Let's see what the next few months bring, particularly with all the attention and pressure the new tv deal has brought.
What would you rather - Tell your kids you sat and moaned on an internet forum or that you done something about it

Join Your Union

www.spiritofshankly.com