Author Topic: Liverpool v Middlesbrough (League Cup - Pre Match Thread), Tuesday 23/09/14 7:45  (Read 33385 times)

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Liverpool v Middlesbrough
League Cup
Anfield,
23/09/14
Kick off - 19.45

So after an insane weekend of premier league football, from which we learnt bugger all and just confirmed its going to be a damn long season, we have the calm of the league cup to come on Tuesday. On paper we should beat  Middlesbrough but well it never seems to quite work that way in a cup.

One part of me want us to put out our strongest team so they get more competitive playing time and can maybe begin find that fluidity we are searching for.

However, some players need resting even at this early stage. Hendo hasn't stopped since the season started so he needs resting, as does Gerrard. I don't think Sterling needs resting but i would maybe start him on the bench with Coutinho coming in and trying to get his season going.

I would keep the entire same back four though, they really need to get on the same wavelength and fast, i'm not sure what the game plan is at the back but whatever it is it needs fixing fast, only game time can do that.

Hoping we stick with the diamond formation, it seems to be our best formation and maybe some consistency in how we set up will help get the team going. Lambert deserves to start this one and looking forward to see a couple of youngster in the shape of Suso and maybe even Rossiter.

A good cup run would be nice and with Everton at the weekend lets make this a week to remember and get the season on track. Come on Redmen  :scarf

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
I genuinely don't know. Could be 3-0 to either side :D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Rossiter going to start this one given our injury problems I would have thought?

Lambert up front with Borini....

Kolo and Sakho at the back, jones in goal.

Is anyone else fit?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Rossiter going to start this one given our injury problems I would have thought?

Lambert up front with Borini....

Kolo and Sakho at the back, jones in goal.

Is anyone else fit?
Our injury problems are not that bad, Can is out and i think Allen is good to come back for the weekend. You would swap the back 4 out? I don't know I think our first choice back four needs to play, they have still only played a few games together and you would imagine more game time together will help fix some of the problems back there.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Would like to see Jones, Enrique, Rossiter, Lambert, Borini, Markovic, Coutinho all start here
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
Want to win a trophy this season so make sure the team is strong enough.

I'd go

Mignolet
Manquillo - Toure - Sakho - Enrique
Rossiter - Lucas - Coutinho
Suso - Lambert - Markovic
“It’s everything. For the people of Liverpool, football is a way of life. For many other cites or countries it’s a sport and it’s a pastime but football here is a way of life”

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Our injury problems are not that bad, Can is out and i think Allen is good to come back for the weekend. You would swap the back 4 out? I don't know I think our first choice back four needs to play, they have still only played a few games together and you would imagine more game time together will help fix some of the problems back there.

I agree that our back 4 need as many games as they can together in order to settle down and improve.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Play some kids and a mix of experience and fringe players needing games.

Jones
Manquillo        Toure                    Skrtel                 Enrique

Lucas       Rossiter

Suso                           Lallana                         Markovic

Lambert

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
It would be good if Sturridge could get some minutes in this one. Just to get him warmed up for the derby.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I've been told that Allen is a few weeks off coming back mate.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Swear that's what Rodgers said

Rossiter starting would be massive

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Give Gerrard a rest, give Jones a runout, start markovic..

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Says who, should be okay for this weekend?

Offline TheUSSR

• Anny Roader
  • Trotyovskyi, CCCP GangWarfare, TSAR

Lazar Marković, Čačak, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Pretty sure someone on here quoted Rodgers re: Allen being "a few weeks out."

I never heard anything of him being back for Everton.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Really, damn was hoping he would be back for the weekend. Whats up with him?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Really, damn was hoping he would be back for the weekend. Whats up with him?

So was I. He's still suffering from the injury he picked up playing for Wales.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Brendan mentioned it apparently.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Seeing as Brendan has apparently said he's a few weeks off returning you can stop with the sly little IndyKalia dig thanks.

Offline CoventryYNWA

• Kopite
I swear I saw Sheyi Ojo warming up Tuesday, so maybe he might make the squad.

Jones

Manquillo Skrtel Kolo Enrique

Rossiter Lucas

Markovic Lallana Ojo

Borini

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Rodgers said: "Daniel Sturridge should, we hope, be back training at some point next week. Joe Allen is still out and he'll be out for a few weeks yet."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/345675.html

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Rodgers said: "Daniel Sturridge should, we hope, be back training at some point next week. Joe Allen is still out and he'll be out for a few weeks yet."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/345675.html

And there you go. Unfortunately he won't be playing in the derby. Could've done with him as well.

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

If you saw Ojo warming up you would know it, his fecking hair!! growing up in the late 80's and 90's i suffered some bad hair, my centre boyband parting still haunts me but i'm very glad i wont have to look back at hair styles like this, its the ginger tint that gets me, why would you do that!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Lambert and Markovic need a game. Toure and Enrique need a game and Lucas, Lallana and Borini could do with a full game all for fitness and get them up to speed.

I'd like to see one or two youngsters come in.

Henderson and Gerrard both need resting for the Derby. I'd give one or both of them the night off with maybe one on the bench.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TheUSSR

• Anny Roader
  • Trotyovskyi, CCCP GangWarfare, TSAR
Seeing as Brendan has apparently said he's a few weeks off returning you can stop with the sly little IndyKalia dig thanks.

Just a joke dude, damn.
Lazar Marković, Čačak, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
The best 11 players that will not be starting against Everton.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Was it really Ojo? We had two kids warming up, but when I looked at the scoreboard for their names among the subs, they weren't on there. I'm pretty sure one was Rossiter, the other one could've been Ojo, or maybe Jerome Sinclair?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
Have to rest Sterling for this one if anything to stave of mental fatigue - it was painful watching how over-reliant we were on him on Saturday, expecting to be John Barnes every time he had the ball.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
Was it really Ojo? We had two kids warming up, but when I looked at the scoreboard for their names among the subs, they weren't on there. I'm pretty sure one was Rossiter, the other one could've been Ojo, or maybe Jerome Sinclair?

They weren't in the 18 but they were there getting the "matchday experience", Brendan's done it a few times. Rossiter and Sinclair were in the squad against Villa and Ojo in the CL during midweek, they'll be the most likely youngsters to get proper involvement against Boro I think.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
He should get the same lads out there playing together. Rotation can wait till next month surly.
Maybe just switch the attack, leave midfield and defence.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:04:30 pm by 12Kings »

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
- Play whatever back four will be playing against Everton. Fuck knows they need time to get some composure.
- Rest Gerrard, play Lucas. If we're deadly, deadly serious about this competition, play Henderson. If not, play Rossiter.
- Play Coutinho, Markovic and Borini. I'd rest Lallana personally, rather than overplaying him as he comes back from an injury and is lacking in fitness. Probably means playing Sterling though. Giving Balotelli a game depends on his fitness I suppose. Wouldn't let Sturridge anywhere near this, we need him in the league.

Don't think we have the personnel (in midfield particularly) to play a diamond so if Lambert plays then maybe Borini plays wide? Plus 4-2-3-1 probably makes the most sense if we're playing Rossiter.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
- Play whatever back four will be playing against Everton. Fuck knows they need time to get some composure.

Wouldn't play the same fullbacks. Think that's a physically demanding position and it's a long haul of a season. Especially as Flanagan is down for a few months and Manquillo/Moreno are a step up on Enrique/Johnson. Agreed when it comes to CBs, though. Always possible that he goes with the back 3 experimentation further.

Lucas as the deep midfielder. It gets weird after that because there will presumably be a front 3 in any formation of Lambert, Markovic, and Borini. Coutinho is likely penciled in as a starter in a 4-3-3 against the Ev, assuming Sturridge will come off the bench. The midfield options are thin. I think it should be one out of Phil/Henderson and Rossiter. Two U21s in midfield is a plan for failure, especially teamed with Lucas. (Don't believe Brendan has ever used Suso as a true midfielder.) Then bring on either Phil or Henderson for the other at 60'. Then it's a clusterfuck if Lucas loses his legs or Rossiter has wide eyes. Good luck, Bren!  :-*

Offline boro fan

• Boys Pen
Hi, doing a matchthread for oneboro, just looking for the views of the opposition.

Who do you see as Boros biggest threat ? if you havnt heard of any of our players dont worry

What sort of team will Liverpool put out for this?

Are you bothered about the league cup this season?

How do you see the game going?

Cheers

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Hi, doing a matchthread for oneboro, just looking for the views of the opposition.

Who do you see as Boros biggest threat ? if you havnt heard of any of our players dont worry

Cheers
Always had a soft spot for boro after bankruptcy and rebuilding the club.

Steve Gibson (right?) poured his heart into the club, but it never quite worked.

Good luck on Tuesday (but obviously I hope we thrash you ;D)

League cup does matter to me.  It's part of Liverpool's heritage, it's something that we could win and Rodgers needs a trophy now.

The game could be anything.  We will probably play some kids and .... They play pretty much what the first team played last season....

Who knows which team will turn up?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:46:44 pm by Tepid Hubwis »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan

Sorry not been following much of championship of late.

I would guess we will see Jones/Enrique/Toure/Sakho not sure about right back/Coutinho/Lucas/Suso(maybe)/Lambert/Markovic/Borini

Yes i hope we win it.

Really tight game at this moment in time could go either way, how we are playing but i will go with 2-1 win.

Cheers
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
-------Jones
Manq Toure Skrtel Enrique
---Lucas Rossiter
--Coutinho Markovic
---Lambert Borini

Subs: Migs, Coates, Sakho, Hendo, Sterling, Balo maybe another youngster in there too.

Would be my choice. Not sure what formation we'd play to compensate that team though.

Would surprise me if we got beat in this one. Think a run in this is important for the players who arent automatic starters and for a few of the younger lads to get a run out..

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
Wouldn't play the same fullbacks. Think that's a physically demanding position and it's a long haul of a season. Especially as Flanagan is down for a few months and Manquillo/Moreno are a step up on Enrique/Johnson. Agreed when it comes to CBs, though. Always possible that he goes with the back 3 experimentation further.

Lucas as the deep midfielder. It gets weird after that because there will presumably be a front 3 in any formation of Lambert, Markovic, and Borini. Coutinho is likely penciled in as a starter in a 4-3-3 against the Ev, assuming Sturridge will come off the bench. The midfield options are thin. I think it should be one out of Phil/Henderson and Rossiter. Two U21s in midfield is a plan for failure, especially teamed with Lucas. (Don't believe Brendan has ever used Suso as a true midfielder.) Then bring on either Phil or Henderson for the other at 60'. Then it's a clusterfuck if Lucas loses his legs or Rossiter has wide eyes. Good luck, Bren!  :-*

Totally forgot Suso! Be interesting to see if any of the youth players get ahead of him. Rodgers probably sees him as more of a forward option than a midfield one but it might be worth a shout.

I agree I'd rather not run the FBs into the ground, but with Flanno out we don't have many options. Maybe start Enrique, is Johnson fit? I guess Manquillo didn't have to play the full game yesterday so he should be relatively fresh. I don't know how helpful playing the CBs with new FBs would be for them getting used to each other.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
They're doing quite well in the Championship as of late, wouldn't surprise me at all if they came and knocked us out.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan

Cheers
Bamford, seems to score wherever he goes. Expecting heavy rotation after three games in 7 days. If we get past the first few rounds I'd like us to take it serious, otherwise more important things to focus on. Extra time win for us.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
 My team would be:

Jones
Manquillo Skrtel Sakho Enrique
               Lucas
Markovic Lallana Coutinho
  Lambert Ballotelli

This is our usual defence (ha!) with Lovren getting time to recover from the head injury, and Enrique getting a game.
Lucas in for Gerrard.
Markovic needs a game, Lallana minutes, Coutinho to build his confidence. Sterling on the bench, try to rest him.
Lambert deserves a start, Ballotelli should play as much as possible to get used to us and the club.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly