Author Topic: E2K's post on Liverpool v Spurs  (Read 8271 times)

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
E2K's post on Liverpool v Spurs
« on: September 1, 2014, 01:22:26 pm »
Last season defied conventional wisdom in so many ways. It’s one of the reasons why the ride this team took us on was so beautiful and why books have been written about a campaign that ultimately ended trophyless. Failure to understand that is ultimately a failure of imagination and, quite honestly, football is not the sport for anyone who lacks that. That ride really began with this fixture on 15 December 2013. Up until then it had been a hugely encouraging season (the victory at White Hart Lane sent Liverpool back to second and only two points off first place – they would ultimately sit top at Christmas). Nonetheless, the fifteen results that had preceded it were all fairly standard, even expected – Stoke City (1-0), Manchester United (1-0), Crystal Palace (3-1), West Bromwich Albion (4-1), Fulham (4-0), Norwich City (5-1, complete with the routine Suárez annihilation of the Canaries) and West Ham United (4-1) were all beaten at Anfield, with Aston Villa (1-0) and Sunderland (3-1) dispatched on the road; points had been dropped away to Swansea City (2-2), as they had been on each previous visit there since their promotion, and Newcastle United (2-2); the Derby at Goodison was even more eventful than usual but had still ended in a draw (3-3) just as it had the previous season; Liverpool had failed to win at the Emirates just as they had in 8 of the club’s previous 9 visits there (losing 0-2 this time); and even the two most eyebrow-raising results, the 0-1 defeat at home to Southampton and the 1-3 loss at Hull, were in keeping with similar lapses in seasons past (e.g. 0-2 at home to West Brom and 1-3 away to Southampton earlier that very year).

In other words, nothing outlandish had happened in the first three months of the season, nothing to predict what was to come in the new year. And while Liverpool were very much a team on the rise with plenty of potential in the ranks, conventional wisdom had it that they were only one member of a pack of as many as seven or eight teams vying for a top-four finish (11 points covered the top-nine after 16 games last season), and with a squad thinner on both quality and depth than many of their rivals. A top-four finish was possible, a title challenge out of the question. And there were many of us thinking the same way ahead of a trip to a ground where Liverpool had won 5 of 23 stretching back 20 years and lost on their previous 6 visits. Jon Flanagan was the left-back, Daniel Sturridge was injured, and the cavalry consisted of Luis Alberto, Iago Aspas and Victor Moses. And while the way in which things subsequently came together that day wouldn’t have necessarily come as an outright shock to anyone who had been watching the evolution of Brendan Rodgers’ team since the twin arrivals of Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho the previous January, who had followed the development of Jordan Henderson, who had seen signs in his goal against Norwich and performance against West Ham in the previous two games that Raheem Sterling was finding his feet, and who had allowed themselves to recognise Luis Suárez as one of the preeminent players on the planet, the nature of the scoreline (5-0) and the fixture in which it happened did mark it out as a particularly unusual result.

Milestones by their very nature can only be defined as such after the fact following a reasonable elapse of time; well from a perspective 8 and a half months removed, that day was a milestone. It was the day that Sterling announced himself at the expense of poor Kyle Naughton and began his rapid transformation into the tormenter of Premier League (soon Champions League) and international defences that he is today, the day Flanagan became the Red Cafu, the day Henderson took charge and scored (with a first-time volley, no less) in the same end where once he had missed an open goal, then played a sumptuous backheel in the lead-up to the third, the day Liverpool announced that logic, reason and, most of all, conventional wisdom would no longer be applying that season. And, for the most part, none of it did – Arsenal were beaten 5-1 with Flanagan and Aly Cissokho in the full-back positions, Stoke and Cardiff were spotted three goals apiece and beaten on an aggregate score of 11-6, Liverpool kept only 5 clean-sheets out of 19 in the new year and still came within a whisker of winning the League Championship, and all of that with Aspas and Moses still the primary attacking alternatives on the bench. Yesterday, then, seemed an apt time not only to examine whether the ride which began in this fixture last season has survived the trauma of the last five games (in particular the defeat to Chelsea, the three-goal lead coughed-up against Palace, the sloppy 2-1 win over Southampton on the opening day this season and the 1-3 defeat against Manchester City last Monday night) but also to assess just how far Liverpool have come since that afternoon in north London eight and a half months ago.

And there’s really no better place to start than the sight of Coutinho sitting on the bench for 90 minutes where once that seat would have been occupied by Aspas or Moses, Assaidi or even Brad Smith. Or we could start with Emre Can, a substitute himself, controlling a lofted clearance and deftly getting the ball out of his feet while simultaneously holding off all 6’3” of Moussa Dembele, then spinning and sprinting clear up the centre of the pitch as the Spurs man vainly gave chase. That particular attack ended with the phenomenal Sterling bamboozling the entire Tottenham defence (having graduated, seemingly, from picking on the weak link last season to taking them all on this time) before finishing weakly, but while Sterling’s run will rightly get most of the attention, Can’s was arguably every bit as impressive. This was a substitute; Dembele, a £15m player, bounced off him. He controlled, bullied, sprinted, passed, and he made it look like nothing. There was a time not too long ago where Liverpool supporters were being treated every week to a different level of mobility and athleticism by the club’s midfielders, namely that exhibited by the likes of Charlie Adam, Jay Spearing, Joe Cole and Christian Poulsen. Yesterday, by contrast, the fantastic Henderson broke into the box to set up the first for the tip of the midfield diamond (Sterling) to slot home, Allen broke into the box to set up the second when Dier pulled him back, Can ran most of the pitch to set up a would-be fourth for Sterling again, Lazar Markovic has only made a couple of cameo appearances so far, and Adam Lallana still hasn’t played a competitive minute. For those still wondering how Liverpool are going to go about mitigating the departure of Suárez, look no further. 

Speaking of context and contrast…not too long ago this club coughed up a couple of promising youth players (one of whom has since represented his country) and £5m for Paul Konchesky. I don’t mean to harp on about a lad who gave of his best every time he played for Liverpool (it’s not just him anyway – more recently than Konchesky, Brendan Rodgers’ first visit to White Hart Lane as Liverpool boss saw him employ a left-side tandem of Downing/Enrique). I hope he does well back in the top division with Leicester (obviously with the exception of any fixtures against Liverpool), but what Alberto Moreno did yesterday was almost a different sport from what Konchesky could ever offer. It makes you wonder what the man who signed him in the dark days of 2010 made of it from his seat in the stand yesterday, particularly given that it was Andros Townsend (one of the first names on Hodgson’s teamsheets for the upcoming Euro 2016 qualifying campaign, I bet) who was robbed of possession and then outpaced over three-quarters of the White Hart Lane pitch. The most impressive thing? Even more than the sublime finish, it was that Moreno was able to effortlessly control the ball travelling at that pace. It’s been the best part of a decade since Liverpool had a goal threat at full-back (unless you count Johnson as a goal threat, which I don’t), but Moreno has the potential to be so much more than that, both individually and in tandem with the rest of the team. One of the fringe benefits of Suárez was that, by last season, defenders were terrified by his mere presence in their vicinity. The only thing more likely than genius to terrify a defender is pace. It was noticeable against City too that Moreno’s closing speed is frightening (Dzeko was going through on goal in the second half at 2-0, I think, and Moreno appeared out of nowhere and won the ball cleanly). With the raw speed of Moreno, Markovic, Sterling and Sturridge around, one miscontrolled pass or bad touch can spell curtains, and they’ll know it too. Again, for those still wondering how Liverpool are going to go about mitigating the departure of Suárez, look no further. 

Yesterday’s performance was, in many ways, even better than last season’s in this fixture. Then, Andre Villas Boas’ team, down to ten men after Paulinho’s red card, persisted with a suicidal high line which was arguably unwise anyway given the lack of pace (Dawson) and inexperience (Capoue) at the heart of their defence but certainly should have been discarded once the scoreline went to 3-0. It wasn’t and, in the last 15 minutes, a bad defeat subsequently became a humiliation as Coutinho and Luis Alberto picked holes at will in the home defence for Suárez and Sterling to apply the finishing touches. Yesterday, by contrast, Liverpool were content to simply see the game out and, what’s more, they were comfortable doing so. Once it went to 2-0, you got the sense that they were humming along in second gear the rest of the way (Moreno briefly applying the afterburners for the third notwithstanding). Even then, it could have easily been four (Sterling’s effort) or five (Lovren had a header from a corner, Sturridge curled one wide off his right), and that’s not even including three good chances for Balotelli in the first-half (two headers and the open-goal miss) and two decent shots by Sturridge (one just wide, the other saved by Lloris at full-stretch). Spurs, for their part, much like City on Monday night, profited almost exclusively from indecision and confusion in a defensive unit with three new members (and, including Mignolet, four different nationalities). Time will surely smooth-out those rough edges if the players are good enough (and I believe they are), yet even then Liverpool’s ‘keeper had but one save to make over the 90 minutes. Against a probable top-four contender, away from home and bedding-in a new defence, that’s pretty impressive.

There’s no doubt in my mind. Neil Atkinson said it yesterday: “we’re back on the adventure...these are definitively now two connected seasons”. This is unlikely to prove a prominent milestone like the last visit to White Hart Lane did, more a reassurance, a confirmation. In this case the milestone is an invisible, almost imperceptible one, because when a 3-0 win on a ground that has been historically tough against an expensively-assembled team with top-four ambitions and an excellent manager becomes just another three points, you know something has changed.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2014, 03:06:47 pm by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

royhendo

Re: E2K's post on Liverpool v Spurs
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »
Corkboy's round table opener was great, but as usual from Eoin, this is sublime. Maybe we should commission a column?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2014, 03:51:09 pm »
Always a great read, he's one of those posters that I have to go make a cup of coffee and settle down for a read when I see him post.

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2014, 03:54:20 pm »
Really enjoyed that. Reading his posts in the Round Table last season were almost as enjoyable as watching the matches themselves (almost  ;) ).

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2014, 04:00:28 pm »
Great read, well in  :)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #5 on: September 2, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »
Corkboy's round table opener was great, but as usual from Eoin, this is sublime. Maybe we should commission a column?
I'd love to be able to share these types of posts to a wider audience, rather than an entire thread of replies for us mere mortals ;D

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #6 on: September 2, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
Fantastic read, with a final sentence that truly sums up the performance and current feeling around the club.

In this case the milestone is an invisible, almost imperceptible one, because when a 3-0 win on a ground that has been historically tough against an expensively-assembled team with top-four ambitions and an excellent manager becomes just another three points, you know something has changed.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 2, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »
Brilliant read again mate. Cheers for that.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #8 on: September 2, 2014, 04:28:06 pm »
Great read. You can`t stress enough how important that victory was. Players will now know last season wasn`t a fluke, they still got it. New players will think to themselves they made a good decision by joining us and all of them will know they play for a very special manager and will play for him even more now.

Huge huge lift and a confidence boost.

Offline MerseyMania

• Defiled for fantasticism.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: September 2, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »
Awesome write up as always. I just wanted to know if E2K such summon such inspiring write up when we face days like City away the other day. But these are good times and we really really have to savour every minute of it and be realistic and responsible while enjoying it.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: September 2, 2014, 04:39:54 pm »
Lovely read that. Hope to see more of that! :)

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 2, 2014, 04:40:33 pm »
Just to add, I think the paragraph highlighting Can's contribution proves a good point not only about the wealth of (for lack of a better word) "specialized" options that Rodgers has at his disposal, but also the comparably analogous group of players that Pochettino has available.

Coutinho and Lallana (creativity), Henderson and Allen (engine and shuttlers), Can and Lucas (steel), and finally Gerrard (almost all of the above qualities) all provide such unique options that we can virtually line up against any side in more ways that Rodgers speaks languages in training. Comparably, Spurs have Paulinho, Capoue, Dembele, Bentaleb, Stambouli, and Eriksen with only the latter providing some kind of definite creativity. The rest are the defensive midfielder slash shuttler types that look really similar on paper. Its the type of thing that might make the difference for us this season, and I think it will particularly show in our European matches.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #12 on: September 2, 2014, 04:50:49 pm »
E2K, the brilliant writer we need, but not what we deserve (cue bass explosion+horn).
Seriously, when are we going to be able to "follow" individual posters so as not to miss gems like the one above?
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 2, 2014, 04:58:55 pm »
Great read. :thumbup
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 2, 2014, 05:04:42 pm »
E2K.  What a writer.

Singlehandedly responsible for me doubling my recent RAWK contribution  ;)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 2, 2014, 05:05:02 pm »
Thanks, great read.

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 2, 2014, 05:22:16 pm »
Another great read - thank-you!

I also wonder from time to time what Hodge makes of things  - but since reading this gem from him after the world cup;

"I don't believe in the nonsense spoken about the identity of certain countries and how they play," he said. "I don't see the vast amount of difference between how we try and the way Germany try to play.

"Now there is a major difference between the 11 players in the German shirt and the 11 players in the England shirt, but if we are talking about how they attack or how they keep possession and seek for openings when they have got the ball, I don't see a vast amount of difference in philosophy or style."

It's quite conceivable that he didn't think anything. Anything at all.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #17 on: September 2, 2014, 05:29:30 pm »
Just read this now and i must say, it was superbly put together Mr E2K

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 2, 2014, 05:40:59 pm »
Top post, thank you E2K.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 2, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »
Another fantastic read mate.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 2, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »
E2K, the brilliant writer we need, but not what we deserve (cue bass explosion+horn).
Seriously, when are we going to be able to "follow" individual posters so as not to miss gems like the one above?
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=236032.0 keep an eye out on this thread.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 2, 2014, 06:12:26 pm »
I have had a shite day. Family / finances and feeling fucked over, generally. Then I get home and read this. Thanks matey. Great read. Made my highlight for the day.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 2, 2014, 07:25:18 pm »
Fantastic. Thanks for all the effort put in.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 3, 2014, 12:08:45 am »
I want start a conversation about what is raised by E2K but I end up thinking fuck it , I'll just enjoy it.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 3, 2014, 12:47:08 am »
Brilliant!  Love your work E2K.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 3, 2014, 12:53:46 am »
Excellent, all of it, last paragraph especially so.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 3, 2014, 01:13:42 am »
Fantastic post E.

What a game changer that was last season. We went there wondering if our team, riddled with injury, could survive a ground where we had lost our previous 6 league matches and came away a different group-as did Spurs by the way. We've not looked the same since and neither have they. They sacked their manager and we elevated ours to near hero status. Sunday reinforced our belief in this team and it was glorious. Moreno atoned for his mistake at the Etihad and really announced his arrival as a Liverpool player. The joy on his face when celebrating his goal said it all. Can shook his pre-season jitters. Mario made his debut and looked a proper Liverpool player-seems he has bought into our ethos. Sterling continued to amaze. Henderson bossed. I could go on and on... So many great moments.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Canuck33

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: September 3, 2014, 01:16:36 am »
Great stuff. Looking forward to more of that.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #28 on: September 3, 2014, 02:16:27 am »
Fantastic mate, thanks.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #29 on: September 3, 2014, 02:21:36 am »
Another absolute belter of a post. My, RAWK has some serious talent.
We are Liverpool!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #30 on: September 3, 2014, 02:56:05 am »
Fabulous read. Its not often I find myself nodding in agreement with everything like I was when reading this. The freshness and interlligent insight of your pieces are in stark contrast to the generic recycled garbage that gets printed in the media by so called "experts", and for that I commend you.

I'm really glad you picked up on the Emre Can run too. It was something I noticed as well and I was really surprised that all the match commentators and pundits all completely ignored what was the most impressive part about the Sterling chance.

I'd also like to mention that although Moreno will get the plaudits for his goal, our other young Spanish fullback had an equally impressive game on the right side which has gone relatively unnoticed. He's handled himself with immense composure in both of his games despite being unfortunate to pick up early bookings. Stats should always be taken with a pinch of salt, but its no coincidence that whoscored.com have him as the 13th highest rated player in the league so far - which is all the more impressive considering the fact that he hasn't scored or assisted yet and has been booked twice.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #31 on: September 3, 2014, 05:51:41 am »
Spell-binding stuff, E2K. Loved your parallel between Moreno and Konchesky. Different sports, indeed!

Online God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 3, 2014, 06:21:35 am »
Sublime writing :wellin
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #33 on: September 3, 2014, 08:22:57 am »
Before the match I posted that this was a litmus test for the season. This column shows we certainly passed that test.
Thanks
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline JohnGlenson_TheShitGlenJ

• Boys Pen
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: September 3, 2014, 08:47:30 am »
Great OP. After all that has happened, i am just thankful that FSG had the balls to hire an unproven manager and not go with a "safer" option. The potential of the squad is mind blowing, i can only imagine what the next few seasons hold for Liverpool Football Club.
When Brendan Rodgers became the manager of LFC, Fergie knew his time as the league's best manager was over and retired soon after.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #35 on: September 3, 2014, 09:09:56 am »
Boss writing that...knocks the Sunday Supplement journo's into a cocked hat....cheers Eoin...keep em coming
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #36 on: September 3, 2014, 09:10:06 am »
Wasn't Stevie also injured for the 5-0 game  ???

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #37 on: September 3, 2014, 11:21:34 am »
Loved it E. My emotions/sentiments almost to a tee.

:)

Well in mate.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 3, 2014, 11:44:37 am »
Awesome!

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 3, 2014, 10:21:56 pm »
Brilliant again. "... just another 3 points..."

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”