Author Topic: Portuguese Football Thread  (Read 31361 times)

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
Portuguese Football Thread
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:22:28 pm »
Can't find one on this.

1-1 in the Lisbon Derby atm.

If any one cares!
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Portuguese Football Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2014, 12:06:21 am »
Ended 1-1 - wasn't sure it was Benfica vs Sporting at first as BT Sport had it as 'SCB vs SCL' on their on-screen graphic. Why not 'Ben vs Spo'?

Looked a decent game from the little I saw of it in between the Genoa-Napoli match.

Didn't realise the Portuguese League has 3 CL teams and 3 Europa teams spots - impressive stuff.

Hope Setubal do well this season - for no other reason than the word 'Setubal' just sounds great :) Setubal, Setubal... SETUBAL!

Fair play to BT Sport for getting the rights to this - got a decent set of European Leagues now (with us, Italian, French, German and erm... the Scots - just kidding)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2014, 12:20:34 am »
Ended 1-1 - wasn't sure it was Benfica vs Sporting at first as BT Sport had it as 'SCB vs SCL' on their on-screen graphic. Why not 'Ben vs Spo'?

Looked a decent game from the little I saw of it in between the Genoa-Napoli match.

Didn't realise the Portuguese League has 3 CL teams and 3 Europa teams spots - impressive stuff.

Hope Setubal do well this season - for no other reason than the word 'Setubal' just sounds great :) Setubal, Setubal... SETUBAL!

Fair play to BT Sport for getting the rights to this - got a decent set of European Leagues now (with us, Italian, French, German and erm... the Scots - just kidding)
The initials should be SCP (Sporting Clube de Portugal) and SLB (Sport Lisboa e Benfica).  :)

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2014, 12:39:50 am »

For their European coverage BT just take the host broadcast graphics, so whoever was showing the match in Portugal would have decided the abbreviations etc.

I actually wish they'd use their own graphics, having the score at the bottom of the screen took a bit of getting used to but it's fine now, and miles better than the stupid French Ligue 1 graphics taking up way more space than they need to.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2014, 02:06:39 am »
Fell asleep during the second half, though to be fair that had more to with me being sleep-deprived last night than the quality of the match itself.

Shocking from Artur - he looked dodgy throughout the game and his mistake was very costly to Benfica, who at that time seemed to have the game under control.

I really like the looks of William Carvalho. Looks proper boss on the ball.

On another note, Jackson Martinez bagged a brace as Porto beat Moreirense 3-0. That's four goals for him in the league.

I'm tipping Porto to win this. The raid on Benfica is a shame and Jorge Jesus said Pérez could go tomorrow. Porto on the other hand seem to be playing an enjoyable type of football and that lad Brahimi looks quite exciting.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2014, 07:22:33 pm »
I really like the looks of William Carvalho. Looks proper boss on the ball.

He'd definitely be at a different club had it not been for their extortionate price tag on him wouldn't he?

Hard to tell how much is conformation bias though surrounding the hype.

i.e. does he look better because we know he's a talent? Or is he genuinely very good?
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2014, 05:03:04 am »
He'd definitely be at a different club had it not been for their extortionate price tag on him wouldn't he?

Hard to tell how much is conformation bias though surrounding the hype.

i.e. does he look better because we know he's a talent? Or is he genuinely very good?

I haven't seen an awful lot of him to give a definite opinion, but Carvalho does look like something else. There's something about how he moves around the pitch and distributes the ball - he looks incredibly calm and composed. He also has some nice physical attributes.

He isn't terribly young, though (22), so I don't think he'll be in Portugal come next season.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 12:02:16 pm »
Benfica kept Perez, Gaitan, Salvio and Luisao after the raid they always get by the end of the season... and get some names on the last days of the market. Julio Cesar, Samaris, Cristante and Jonas... Let's see what they will do this season.

Last night a 5-0 win at Setubal with 3 goals from the 20 year old Talisca.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 07:58:29 pm »
Porto drew with Guimarães today, only caught a bt of it but looked like there was some crowd trouble

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 01:28:17 am »
Porto drew with Guimarães today, only caught a bt of it but looked like there was some crowd trouble

After 4 rounds

Benfica 10
Porto 10
Guimarães 10
Rio Ave 10

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 01:55:41 am »
Porto and Benfica look on course for a battle once more. No offense to the other two teams.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 02:33:28 am »
Porto and Benfica look on course for a battle once more. No offense to the other two teams.

Guimaraes is playing some nice football... maybe they have a word to say for the 3rd spot battle with Sporting Lisbon and Braga.
Another curious fact, Boavista returned to the 1st league, after a severall years absence. They were in the champions league a few years ago.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 06:50:56 am »
What bothers me about Portugal is it's very defensive minded league,most matches ending 1-1,1-0,2-0. Which probably has something to do with them not producing enough strikers.it was more fun league when they produced likes of Rui Costa,Figo,Joao Pinto.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 07:12:36 am »
Guimaraes is playing some nice football... maybe they have a word to say for the 3rd spot battle with Sporting Lisbon and Braga.
Another curious fact, Boavista returned to the 1st league, after a severall years absence. They were in the champions league a few years ago.

Wouldn't know about them but I was hoping that Braga or Sporting Lisbon would put-up a fight after 3 of these four traditional giants were in the last four of the Europa League a couple of years ago iirc. They haven't been doing much off-late or are they?

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 10:59:39 am »
it was more fun league when they produced likes of Rui Costa,Figo,Joao Pinto.

Yes, there is a real lack of quality Portuguese players at the moment when compared to that generation. It seems that Portugal is being used as a shop window to show off (mostly) south american imports for europe, which on the one hand has led so some very talented players playing in the league, and on the other hand is having a detrimental effect on youth development (I think). When you see the current national side, Ronaldo looks very out of place, the rest are no where near his level. Ten or twenty years go you could say that Rui Costa, Figo, JVP, Victor Baia, Paulo Sousa, Fernando Couto were all world class players

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 07:59:43 pm »
Wouldn't know about them but I was hoping that Braga or Sporting Lisbon would put-up a fight after 3 of these four traditional giants were in the last four of the Europa League a couple of years ago iirc. They haven't been doing much off-late or are they?

Who? Braga or Sporting?

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:23 am »
Don´t think they can aim for the title... Benfica and Porto are raising the level incredible high this days.

Offline Durlmints

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 02:21:41 am »
Don´t think they can aim for the title... Benfica and Porto are raising the level incredible high this days.

Sporting need to keep hold of their best youth players to catch them. They sell very often.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 08:52:15 pm »
Sporting and Porto playing now, not a bad game to follow.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 11:18:38 pm »
What bothers me about Portugal is it's very defensive minded league,most matches ending 1-1,1-0,2-0. Which probably has something to do with them not producing enough strikers.it was more fun league when they produced likes of Rui Costa,Figo,Joao Pinto.
Might be because everyone aspires to be the next Mourinho... AVB...

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 10:56:30 pm »
Might be because everyone aspires to be the next Mourinho... AVB...

Is that really the management "trend" there?

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 09:08:53 am »
Is that really the management "trend" there?

Not really... for instance Jorge Jesus, the Benfica coach and Mourinho have completely differente styles, and I don´t even think they like each other that much.

After 6 games

1   Benfica   16
2   FC Porto   12
3   Vitoria de Guimaraes   11
4   Braga   11
5   Rio Ave   10
6   Sporting CP   10
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:16:27 am by theartist »

Offline LondonRapLondon

• "Please leave me alone.....These little forum games are annoying."
  • Kopite
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 12:11:21 pm »
I'm in Lisbon this coming weekend and will try to watch Benfica v Arouca. Looking forward to seeing their eagle fly.

BTW if anybody has been there before and wants to give me some tips then please do. Also, is it a place where a black male on his own aint gonna get racist crap? Or in an inter-racial relationship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G89r9tP1Lt0

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 02:23:40 pm »
I'm in Lisbon this coming weekend and will try to watch Benfica v Arouca. Looking forward to seeing their eagle fly.

BTW if anybody has been there before and wants to give me some tips then please do. Also, is it a place where a black male on his own aint gonna get racist crap? Or in an inter-racial relationship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G89r9tP1Lt0

Of course you won´t get any problem... Benfica symbol is Eusebio  :D
If you go by metro leave in Alto dos Moinhos station and before you get to the stadium you will see one of the meeting points of Benfica fans where they eat and drink before the games... ask for a beer and a "bifana", you won´t regret it.
Also as it is a game against a weak side you will have no problem in buying the ticket even a few hours before the start of the match... 20€ and you will be fine

Offline LondonRapLondon

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »
Of course you won´t get any problem... Benfica symbol is Eusebio  :D
If you go by metro leave in Alto dos Moinhos station and before you get to the stadium you will see one of the meeting points of Benfica fans where they eat and drink before the games... ask for a beer and a "bifana", you won´t regret it.
Also as it is a game against a weak side you will have no problem in buying the ticket even a few hours before the start of the match... 20€ and you will be fine

Haha I forgot about Eusebio. I think I wll get there real early and take in the stadium, club shop and the buzz.

Will let you know how I find it. Getting more excited about it :)

Offline LondonRapLondon

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 07:14:24 pm »
Went to see Benfica v Arouca. Was 0-0 at 70 mins and 4-0 at the end. Talisca was brilliant - he scored a really neat goal, we are being linked to him:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-face-arsenal-transfer-battle-4391162

For me, the Portuguese league seems to have a lot of the smaller clubs capitulating when the first goal or two goes in. Not sure if that's due to their result bonus disappearing, tiredness or a bit of both.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 01:44:30 pm »
That Talisca has just come over from Brazil though?

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 01:55:00 pm »
ask for a beer and a "bifana", you won´t regret it.

Good advice right there

Offline GoodSpirit

• Main Stander
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 11:49:13 pm »

END OF THE MATCH - PORTUGUESE CUP

FC Porto 1 - 3 Sporting CP (Marcano 31' - AG, Nani 38', Carrillo 83')

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later..."

"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it."

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 7, 2014, 10:23:18 pm »
A surprising Vitoria de Guimaraes is leading by this time the portuguese league... altough with one more match than the competition, but still great accomplishmente by now for this side.

Vitoria de Guimaraes10 23
Benfica 9 22
FC Porto 9 21
P.Ferreira 9 17
Belenenses 9 17
Sporting CP 9 16
Braga 9 15
Rio Ave 9 14

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 8, 2014, 03:07:43 am »
How has Porto been doing? They have been good in CL it seems, they have already qualified. But I think their new coach has been tinkering the first team a lot. I am checking their results time to time to see how Tello is doing, and I see that they haven't been that consistent in Portugal.

It's a shame Lopetegui left his post as a Spanish U21 coach. The new coach has failed to even qualify for the next summer's tournament.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 9, 2014, 07:14:28 am »
Are the rules on portugese loans the same as in premier league @ Theartist

For example, Estoril play Porto and m looking at getting on kleber @5/1 but Ive just seen he is on loan from Porto so I dont know if he will play or not

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 9, 2014, 02:22:58 pm »
How has Porto been doing? They have been good in CL it seems, they have already qualified. But I think their new coach has been tinkering the first team a lot. I am checking their results time to time to see how Tello is doing, and I see that they haven't been that consistent in Portugal.

It's a shame Lopetegui left his post as a Spanish U21 coach. The new coach has failed to even qualify for the next summer's tournament.

They are doing well in champions, already qualified, but being honest their group is kind of a joke with an out of shape Bilbao, a Bate Borisov team that is going to beat all the records of goals against and Shaktar that ain´t bad, but are in a difficult situation in Ukraine.
The problem with Lopetegui is that he is yet to decide wich 11 players are his starters.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 9, 2014, 02:24:49 pm »
Are the rules on portugese loans the same as in premier league @ Theartist

For example, Estoril play Porto and m looking at getting on kleber @5/1 but Ive just seen he is on loan from Porto so I dont know if he will play or not

He can play, but it's a porto loan so he can always get "injured" during the warm up if you know what I mean. That kind of ethic is common there.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 9, 2014, 08:10:43 pm »
He can play, but it's a porto loan so he can always get "injured" during the warm up if you know what I mean. That kind of ethic is common there.

He won´t start the game, there you go lol.

Offline Durlmints

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 04:24:58 pm »

I really don't get why you loaned him to be honest!

He's never getting in to your current front 3, and it feels like you have better players emerging through from the youth team at the moment.

Perhaps it's because he doesn't want to leave Barca? I know when Liverpool were interested he said in an interview he loves the club and doesn't want to leave.

Just not sure what two years at Porto achieves, is it a shop window thing or is it playing time so he comes back with more experience?

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »
I really don't get why you loaned him to be honest!

He's never getting in to your current front 3, and it feels like you have better players emerging through from the youth team at the moment.

Perhaps it's because he doesn't want to leave Barca? I know when Liverpool were interested he said in an interview he loves the club and doesn't want to leave.

Just not sure what two years at Porto achieves, is it a shop window thing or is it playing time so he comes back with more experience?

I don´t know what is expected from Tello, but the Nani loan seems to be working for both parts. Sporting is having in Nani their best player, and it seems like he is returning to his better days with some consistent gameplay time. Maybe the Mancs will call him back soon or have better proposals for him now.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 02:55:24 am »
Porto 0-2 Benfica

6 points leading for Benfica

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 04:25:36 am »
Porto 0-2 Benfica

6 points leading for Benfica
Which is surprising for me given the fact that Benfica didn't even make out of their CL group. I think they even managed to finish last in perhaps the weakest CL group along with Porto's group. I thought they are weak with no remarkable players left, whereas Porto seem to have a better squad and better performances in CL.