Author Topic: Man City 3 - 1 Liverpool - Full Time Discourse  (Read 85293 times)

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Man City 3 - 1 Liverpool - Full Time Discourse
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »
Barely created a chance in 180 minutes of football this season.
Was pretty much the same at the start of last season.

Only difference is there's no Suarez to come back any time soon.

Said it in the Summer: Prepare for a hard season. It will take time for us to adjust to life without our main goalscorer and main creator.
I hope everyone will be patient with Rodgers if it gets rocky at times.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:40 pm »
find it hard to see skrtel starting vs spurs. what the hell was the for the second goal? as rodgers said you cant teach people out of things they do naturally. both him and glen.

i actually thought we played well. dont give a shit what the pundits say, we played a very good team and controlled large portions of the game until the mistake by moreno. they genuinely made no individual errors that led to clear chances all game. we made 2 and half.

i still dont think sturridge was offside for his goal. lambert should have put away his second chance instead of passing. i take a fair few positives out of the game...

but lets be clear. if we dont cut out the individual mistakes we are in for as rude awakening this year without suarezs genious.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:42 pm »
Ps Mignolet needs to buck up his ideas this season.

Should have done better with the third goal. Don't think he saved anything, but first and second goals he can't be blamed for
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:43 pm »
Overall their quality in the final third was the difference. A couple of defence splitting passes and a mistake and that was it. When chasing the game against City it will always be difficult.

In fairness to us though we have two new defenders to bed in so hopefully the defence will become a little bit tighter.

We need coutinho to play well to help us create and today he wasnt quite on it. We started looking a bit like england hoping sterling will make the breakthrough. With Lallana to come hopefully there will be other options.

Lastly I would like to think that by the next time we play City we will be much more of a settled team and a far greater handful.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:49 pm »
De ja vu with our defense.

Is Lovren an improvement on Agger?

Where is Sakho?

Not a chance, said it at the time we were spending 20m without improving. He wasn't the player we needed.

Just wish we would realise it isn't a case of replacing defenders like for like and instead a problem with the system and defence as a unit, we must have spent close to 80m on players that can play in that back 5.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:49 pm »
Hope Glenno, Skrtel and Moreno will be all fine. It is a defeat and hopefully a defeat that we could bounce right back of. Not a good day in office for the lads but we go again next week. Come On Redmen!!!
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:49 pm »
We don`t have a single elite defender. It`s a huge problem going forward for us.

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:50 pm »
Probably best to avoid this place for a couple of hours.
The reigning champions, at home, got a comfortable win, despite being 2nd best 1st half.
Shit happens. We beat Spurs next week then we are at 2 points per game, after a very tough opening and everyone should be happy.

Spot on.

Online Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:04 pm »
Bad day at the office, we got into good positions and were the better team in the first half but we couldn't make that final pass or take our chances. City on the other hand made the most out of almost every chance they had.

And then when we pull one back and add some pressure, Johnson get's injured and we finish with 10 men, killing any momentum we had. I don't know how bad Skrtel and Moreno's injuries are but hopefully not too bad if they were still able to play.

Moreno was culpable for the first goal, but considering that it was his first premier league match and at the Etihad I thought he had a good game. I also can't wait to see Balotelli in this team as sometimes Sturridge can struggle on his own.

Oh and classless from the City fans for cheering when Moreno went down injured, but I didn't expect anything better from that lot.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:07 pm »
Need the link player between the 3 in the middle and sturridge. The wide players are all good but we need someone releasing Sturridge and stretching them up. Next game at Spurs I'd play Sterling behind Balotelli and Sturridge, and play Manquillo and Moreno (if he's ok) out wide. Moreno has showed that he can be quite a handful coming forward.

Also thought Henderson had an anonymous game. No major mistakes but just anonymous. Needs to grab these chances and step up.

Offline Red_Potato

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Potato beats scissors
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:12 pm »
undeserved???
How?
We were shocking....

Watched the game on ceefax did you?
SOS member 7832

Online Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:26 pm »
Ps Mignolet needs to buck up his ideas this season.

Yeah, positionally poor for a couple...

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:29 pm »
Oh bollocks it.

ShitBollocksFuckshitbollocksfuck.

2nd half was utterly grim.  We're now conceding all sorts of goals, not justthe one where we don't track the run from midfield.  Need fixing quickly.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Stringer123

• Kopite
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:34 pm »
Disappointing. Can't wait for the week long blame game though.

Offline Gonebay

• Horny for Dudek
  • Kopite
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:35 pm »
Gerrard should play more advanced.

Online Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:36 pm »
Sobering stuff.

We were alright for 40 minutes, lacking in a bit of penetration but playing well. Then we made a mistake, got punished and never really looked like getting back into it. Even in the early stages it seemed like they were controlling us rather than us running them ragged. Nice for Lambert if that was his goal, aside from that it was one to forget.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:37 pm »
Liverpool - had a good spell of possession football in the first half and tried hard to take the game to them but ultimately mistake prone in defence and blunt in attack.
City - quality to spare all over the park, barely got out of second gear and clinical in attack on the break.

The resources at our disposal are incomparable but sadly for us they are the benchmark right now.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:40 pm »
I guess it got City home out of our way, I can imagine them dishing out similar to pretty much every side that goes to the Etihad. Out of all the top teams they have the most settled squad with a familiar setup. I think Spurs will be a better indicator for us next week as to how we're doing.

I feel we were caught in limbo a bit today in terms of the system we want to play and the shape of the team. Perhaps Balotelli in the starting 11 might bring in some balance.

There were some positives in terms of link-up play, passing and movement, but the final third was lacking.

Asides from the mistake, Moreno had a decent-ish debut. Put in some decent balls into the box.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:01:23 pm by RainbowTrout »
YNWA.

Online Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:42 pm »
Very little between the 2 sides for me. Only difference was that they made the most of their opportunities and we didn't. Despite how Martin Tyler tried to rewrite history with his summing up. Though we were well in the game until the 2nd goal. Sturridge millimetres offside at 1nil.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:47 pm »
Surprised we didn't make more changes in midfield

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:49 pm »
We didn't play badly tonight. I thought we played well overall but our main problem is Rodgers hasn't got a clue how to set a team up defensively and without Suarez we can't expect to score 4 goals a game to account for it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
A few good signs in the first half and the beginning of the second, fell apart after their second.  Moreno at fault for the first, but its his first game in English football, don't think he'd make that mistake in a couple of months.  That aside he looked promising and showed grit by staying on, hopefully he's okay.

Disappointed, but we'll have to dust ourselves off and put things right against Spurs.

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »
Good first half but we never looked like scoring, Sturridge was completely isolated, in my opinion he can't play alone up front, he needs a partner.

Lovren out of position and partly at fault for all 3 goals. Absolutely fucking diabolical performance.

Mignolet's positioning on the 3rd goal is absolutely laughable, he's given Aguergo 3/4's of his goal at the near post. He should arguably do better on the first not only as it's straight at him but commanding his area and screaming at Moreno to clear it.

Coutinho couldn't get in the game, Allen was excellent, our MOTM. Johnson was his usual self, hopefully now he's injured Rodgers will try something new.

Overall it's shown that we've largely not changed at the back, solid but we gift teams goals. Literally throw games away at the back. If you're playing Liverpool keep it tight and we'll shoot ourselves. Oh well, i thought we'd lose but i didn't think we'd be that poor defensively.

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:59 pm »
We were awful tonight, but give credit to City, they're bloody good. I do hope Johnson is okay but I'm thankful we've got Moreno and I'm confident he'll come in and do well, I really thought he should be starting ahead of Glen anyway.

Moreno looked decent aside from the mistake, rather he did it early on in the season than late. Lovren was quite poor tactically, hoping it was just the occasion and not a sign of his ability.

I just have to get my one quip out the way. Why does Daniel Sturridge ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL try to do something elaborate and flashy instead of the simple pass? I'm a huge fan of his and he's an excquisite footballer but it's like he's doing it in an attempt to show off. Every. Single. Time.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:00 pm »
Johnson looks like he's out injured
:missus :missus :missus

That's not on. I don't think he is good enough for LFC anymore but being happy with him being injured? Poor stuff, very poor.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:03 pm »
city didn't have to play that well  :(
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:06 pm »
Well, glad that's out the way.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:06 pm »
Not worried. Could have done with this fixture later in the season.
We'll get the 3 points at Anfield so all square.
Don't read too much into this result.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:10 pm »
Moreno had a baptism by fire and apart from getting caught out of position a few times, did well.

Lovren has a bad night, as did Skrtel and the less I say about Johnson the better, the lazy bastard.

They won at walking pace by the end of it, we barely looked like scoring all night even though we had the chances to. Need a lot of work on the training ground this week!

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:13 pm »
Toughest fixture done, not too disheartened. Would have liked something, but didn't expect it.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:19 pm »
Not too gutted to be honest, basically knew we had little chance tonight. Big game for Lovren and Moreno. Lovren needs to get back to the standards of last week. Sakho should be in the defence, he's still our best defender imo. They were better than us tonight, no shame in admitting it.

Johnson just not really bothered is he
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:22 pm »
On a side note, Can very very lucky not to pick up a red there...

Dreadful technique for the old stick your leg out and make contact chestnut ;D
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »
Did I glimpse a flat-ish 4-4-2 out there when Lambert came on?
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Online wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:33 pm »
We got schooled today by a professional outfit who took their chances. There wont be many teams that will do that to us this season. Also, thank heavens we bought another striker.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Just Dan

• cing on the precipice - it's a long way, Dan!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:36 pm »
Played very well first half and in bits second.

Johnson did a couple of good crosses. Other than that awful.

Moreno had a very good game I thought for his first game. Made one mistake and paid for it. But other than that I thought he did extremely well, going forwards aswell as defensively. Hope the ankle is alright.

Lovren got caught out a few times, he's supposed to be commanding the back 4 and holding the line. But he seemed to be the one who was too forwards. Back 4 will get better in time. Still early days and we had 2 new players playing on our left side. That has to be taken into account.

Thought we lacked legs in midfield when going backwards.

Sturridge impressed me as did Sterling in parts.

Hendo made some nice forward runs into the box.

We need to limit Gerrard sprinting back towards his own goal as much as possible.

Not many teams will go to Man City and get points. Its gone. Move on to Spurs, make up for it and deck them twofold.

Offline Midekima

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:39 pm »
Pretty obvious we set up to counter City and instead Pellegrini has played a blinder. City defended deep put men behind the ball (9 at times) and totally reversed the game. As usual we gave a soft goal away and then proceeded to get counter attacked by the best team in the league.

Pellegrini had it spot on. Luckily for us our season wont be defined by a loss at the Etihad.

Lets hope other teams dont do the same! Its fairly obvious the way we play. 1st and 3rd goals were poor but we miseed a few good chances where City were equally shambolic. Hendo twice recieved the ball in the box and turned the wrong way!

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:40 pm »
At least its out of the way. We're not the first team and won't be the last to lose at the Etihad. Markovic looked sharp as did Sterling. Moreno was decent but one mistake and it went downhill from there. Lovren had a poor game compared to last week and Johnson again struggled.

Ultimately City are so clinical at home and Pellegrini got his tactics spot on.

Let's get back on track vs Spurs and after that the fixture list eases up a bit.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:40 pm »
No doubt some will look at the scoreline and judge the game by that alone (Guardian I am looking at you).

Personally I felt that was a good performance, despite the occasional lapse.

2 City goals came against the run of play and it was really only 15 minutes that saw Liverpool unravel. Even the defensive lapses were mostly down to the raft odf new players in the side.

I was actually impressed by most of the new players, Moreno had a fine game, I thought Lovren did well again, Markovic really impressed and Lambert scored.

Only Can looked a little out of his depth, but give him time.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline bakstabba

• Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:46 pm »
City were very, very good. We were decent. They were just far more clinical.

Jovetic is some player, and we all know about Silva's quality. It says a lot about their squad when Dzeko comes off for Aguero to come on and score.

Markovic looked good when he came on, Moreno has some serious pace.

Socrates did have a habit of polarising opinion, as does Lucas. Lucas is also good at hemming opponents in and locking them into difficult situations.