Author Topic: Liverpool's Defence  (Read 701891 times)

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool's Defence
« Reply #4160 on: December 14, 2014, 03:51:04 pm »
I'm getting so tired of this shit. Week after week after week.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4161 on: December 14, 2014, 03:51:12 pm »
It doesn`t matter about personnel. Not one single defender has improved during entire BR`s tenure. Questions need to be ask on BR`s defensive nous and his coaching on that side of the ball.

No it doesn't but you have to admit Lovren is a poor player.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4162 on: December 14, 2014, 03:52:12 pm »
I don't think I've actively disliked a Liverpool player as much as Lovren. Worst centre back I've seen play for us since following in 99. I'd flog him off for free in January.

He really is rank isn't he?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #4163 on: December 14, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »
i'll chip in for petrol money for someone to drive lovren back to southampton?

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4164 on: December 14, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »
Spot on, was thinking about that as i saw the replay. Of course moreno and lallana are overrun too easily, but the space in behind these two was just baffling. As a cb its your job to cover the wingbacks as. He didnt even attempt to cover it, in fact he moved into the middle and left much more space for vslencia. This suggests to me he has no idea where to stand. The clearance for the third was just as bad. How can you clear a ball directly in front of goal this way. Selling agger for peanuts and bringing in lovren is probably worse then the carroll signing.

I also think he is a worse buy than Carroll.

We could have just coached Sakho and Skrtel (if the manager is dead set on keeping Skrtel in the team). The idea that we spent £20m on Lovren as an upgrade on Sakho makes me sick.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline RdJRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4165 on: December 14, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »
Moreno poor today.  That Spurs goal and the fact that Enrique isn't good enough has contributed to him being one of the names on the fans teamsheets all year.  he's only young and got potential but keeps sleeping and losing his man or making errors. Gives away freekicks every game.  Is he getting the best caoching from BR & his team..?  Who knows...
YNWA

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #4166 on: December 14, 2014, 03:54:03 pm »
He really is rank isn't he?

They are STILL laughing at him on Lyon forums. 1.5 years after his departure. They couldn't believe getting 8M for him from the Saints, let alone that sum we paid in Summer (And add the opportunity cost lost of losing Agger/Sakho).

Lovren has cost us more than just 20M. He's cost us Sakho and Agger as well. That's what fucking hurts.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4167 on: December 14, 2014, 03:54:16 pm »
I don't think I've actively disliked a Liverpool player as much as Lovren. Worst centre back I've seen play for us since following in 99. I'd flog him off for free in January.

I can't stand him anymore. He came talking with so much confidence in himself and now he is an absolute shambles.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #4168 on: December 14, 2014, 03:54:46 pm »
Don't know what has Lovren done to deserve a starting place in the line up again. Must have been tremendous in training or Brendan is fixated with him.

Bottom line is he doesn't deserve to start. What's that? His 6 defensive error so far?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:56:30 pm by Yiannis »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online tyrolean_red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4169 on: December 14, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »
I also think he is a worse buy than Carroll.

We could have just coached Sakho and Skrtel (if the manager is dead set on keeping Skrtel in the team). The idea that we spent £20m on Lovren as an upgrade on Sakho makes me sick.
The idea of upgrading on sakho after very little playing time is insane in itself.
Thank you Stevie! It was a pleasure.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4170 on: December 14, 2014, 03:56:03 pm »
Told you all Lovren was our worst ever signing.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4171 on: December 14, 2014, 03:56:37 pm »
No it doesn't but you have to admit Lovren is a poor player.

Problem is we are extracting nowhere near the best level our defenders can play at. And that is solely down to Rodgers. Our defenders don`t stand a chance, look at our shape for their 3rd goal, there is not a hint of compactness there, Rodgers can`t allow that to happen. We concede 1.25 goals per game during the entire BR`s tenure, that means we have to score 2 goals each game to win it.

Our whole defensive concept is flawed, we press high up the pitch and our CBs are deep in our own half. It`s not gonna work in a million years. It`s no wonder Lovren and Moreno are dramatically regressing under Rodgers. It`s a huge question now if Rodgers can ever be up to making us solid defensively while we play expansive football.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4172 on: December 14, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »
He's not shown any signs that he is or could develop into a good centre back for us. I know it's after yet another abject performance, and here might be notions of knee jerking.... but i'd entertain any offers for Lovren in January, it's not like he's had one or two poor games, i can't recall one decent solid game he's actually had, there's been mistakes in every performance - that's not so much form, but inherent ability.

I think the reality is, he's simply just not good enough for us.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #4173 on: December 14, 2014, 04:01:01 pm »
should just rename this the the lovren bashing thread filled with c*nts.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4174 on: December 29, 2014, 12:46:33 am »
On the plus side, kiNki has been kind enough to allow this thread to reopen.  :thumbup On the downside, he's got my nuts in a vise and is threatening to crush them if any of you annoy the mods in even the slightest way. Which basically means I'm doomed. :P So be gentle and let's keep the thread open. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, I'd like to start a discussion about the relative merits of a back four vs. a back three given our current personnel. My preference would be to see a back four of the two Spaniards, Lovren and Sakho.

Despite the misgivings of many about Lovren, he does seem to be pretty good with the ball on the deck. When he recovers, I think he will eventually settle in and be at least a bit better in performance.

Mamadou for me is an absolute must in any formation. I was looking at the video summary of his Boxing Day work and thought it was excellent overall.

Our young fullback transfers have been a mixed bag, I'll grant you, but I think both have tremendous potential and we need to see what they can do. I'd like to give them both an extended run.

If we are to drop one of the young Spanish boys, I'd rather see Enrique than Johnson. The latter's upside is better on a given day, but for me Enrique gives you a more predictable steady game. Johnson can be very up and down and is prone to defensive gaffes.

That leaves Skrtel and Toure, plus Flanagan. Three solid backups. I have no problem with any of them in that role. Our problem is that we need four defenders (in particular Sakho and Lovren) to start giving week in week out top notch work. With it, we'll get top 4 IMO. Without it, we're in deep trouble.

Thoughts? KEEP IT CIVIL WITH NO NASTY ATTACKS ON INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS OR THIS WILL GET LOCKED AGAIN!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:20:00 am by soxfan »

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4175 on: December 29, 2014, 12:54:35 am »
Your balls in the vice ready to be crushed? Hmmm... let's see...   ;D

Playing with three at the back gives all of the CBs more opportunities. I'd pink Sakho on the right, Skrtel in the middle and Can on the left. Yeah, I know, one game and all that... But he seemed solid to me and more assured than Kolo. I'd also think that Kolo and Lovren would be versatile backups, but I can't see any one of them displacing Skrtel, and I think that's where our Achilles heel is.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4176 on: December 29, 2014, 12:56:47 am »
It doesn`t matter about personnel. Not one single defender has improved during entire BR`s tenure. Questions need to be ask on BR`s defensive nous and his coaching on that side of the ball.

Can see Rodgers being the same

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4177 on: December 29, 2014, 01:58:21 am »
should just rename this the the lovren bashing thread filled with c*nts.

;D On this day, I was quite angry.

If Can plays CB tomorrow for a full 90, then that's exciting.

You mean not having a clue about defensive positioning?

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4178 on: December 29, 2014, 02:00:25 am »

You mean not having a clue about defensive positioning?
No clue on defensive positioning,structure or tactics really.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4179 on: December 29, 2014, 02:03:38 am »
I said it before he even signed.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4180 on: December 29, 2014, 02:05:57 am »
No clue on defensive positioning,structure or tactics really.

Hmm. It'd make sense, kind of. For example, Lovren's defensive instructions seem to be "go on, take care of it, be boss, lad." It doesn't work, yet Rodgers persisted. It's a bit extreme, and I'm not sure I completely buy it, though. I think the problem is mostly a mix of keeping individuals who don't fit the "system" onside, general myopia, behind-closed-door politics, and bullishness

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4181 on: December 29, 2014, 02:06:27 am »

You didn't say worst ever.  :missus

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4182 on: December 29, 2014, 02:23:52 am »

Hmmm... Someone's nuts are in the vice...

...snip... (or should I say "crush")
On the downside, he's got my nuts in a vise and is threatening to crush them if any of you annoy the mods in even the slightest way. Which basically means I'm doomed. :P So be gentle and let's keep the thread open. 

...snip...

Thoughts? KEEP IT CIVIL WITH NO NASTY ATTACKS ON INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS OR THIS WILL GET LOCKED AGAIN!

Run, soxfan, run...

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4183 on: December 29, 2014, 02:25:41 am »
I certainly said he'll be our worst ever ;)

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4184 on: December 29, 2014, 02:40:32 am »
The personnel we have are no worse players than at many other clubs - we've conceded just as many as the clubs around us. Swansea and Southampton have conceded less but you could argue our defenders are no worse than theirs individually.

Our problems are tactical, a lack of focus, and a lack of teamwork when it comes to defending. We defend 2-3 players at a time rather than the entire team working its socks off to defend. The key feature of all the best teams is how hard they work to get the ball back. This doesn't necessarily mean length of the field sprinting - it can be as simple as being the first to loose ball, looking to shepherd the ball into areas where it's hard to score from, having the right tactical shape to be able to crowd a team looking to dwell on the ball, the effective coverage of space.

When you look at the individuals, our players are reasonably good in the air, strong in the tackle, risk averse and relatively disciplined. You could argue that were a bit slow and lack some physicality but overall with the right coaching we certainly have the players to be very miserly. Brendan doesn't set his teams up to defend well so we'll always look shady. It's only noticeable this season because we aren't scoring many at the other end and results aren't going our way. weve actually conceded a similar number of goals last season I think.

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4185 on: December 29, 2014, 02:49:19 am »
We need Sami Hypia back as a coach and then BR can pick his brain about central defenders. There is no "steel" in the team and every team needs a balance of flair and steel. Too many central defenders that are good with the ball struggle with being bullied by physical forwards (Agger comes to mind for me - very good with the ball, but struggled when put up against a bully) I don't recall Sami losing out too often to physical forwards.

BR needs to come up with a blend that will take the best of the Spanish/Dutch philosophy that he so loves and combine it with the physicality of the English game. If he isn't able to do that then the best that we can hope for is that we end up with some very stronger attackers and are able to out score most teams to challenge for the title most years, but we will continue to be fragile in the back.  It will be interesting to see if he is able to pull it off.

(Of topic - forgive me for that, but I think it is relevant) Last year was an anomaly. As many on here have stated SAS papered over the cracks in the overall squad. This year was about bringing in depth, which I have been impressed with the youngsters that have been brought in as we are deeper than last year. All of them have shined at certain times of the season and all have had some real stinkers. They just need time to develop.  Losing Danny for as long as we have had to endure has been rough. Mario is a player who is a quality side kick to the main man, but not the main man. Once he has someone like Danny back I think Mario will start scoring goals again.  This is a work in progress and I don't expect much. If we ever made a CL position at the end of the season I think that would be glorious accomplishment for this group and how steep the learning curve has been. Next year will be much better. So yes, my glass is half full.   :wave

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4186 on: December 29, 2014, 06:54:03 am »
Hmmm... Someone's nuts are in the vice...

Run, soxfan, run...

;D
Do you have a secret room in your house that I can hide in? Looks like I'll need it.  :boxhead

Back to the topic...do you folks think we are better off persisting with 3 at the back or 4, at least until Sturridge returns?

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4187 on: December 29, 2014, 09:15:27 am »
I would like to see what Can and Sakho are like as a CB partnership.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4188 on: December 29, 2014, 09:53:10 am »

Hmm. It'd make sense, kind of. For example, Lovren's defensive instructions seem to be "go on, take care of it, be boss, lad." It doesn't work, yet Rodgers persisted. It's a bit extreme, and I'm not sure I completely buy it, though. I think the problem is mostly a mix of keeping individuals who don't fit the "system" onside, general myopia, behind-closed-door politics, and bullishness
Rodgers was a defender though, Arsene was an attacker. He would know how a defense is supposed to operate, organized and where every man needs to be. AND that's what is puzzling.

He did only play until 20 though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:06:16 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline slw614

• Anny Roader
  • I moustache you a question but I'm shaving it
« Reply #4189 on: December 29, 2014, 10:10:37 am »

Agreed.

Offline ShayGuevara

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4190 on: December 29, 2014, 10:13:23 am »
The great Liverpool teams were always built on a strong and sound defence and excellent counter-attacking. Even for all its attacking prowess, the 87/88 side had the best defensive record in the league. It's extremely worrying that after three seasons in the position, BR still hasn't worked that one out.

For us to not have improved at all at the back in 3 seasons it's extremely worrying. I like Brendan as our coach, I enjoy the football but for me its too direct and we don't have to protection in front of the back 4 to keep trying to force the play.

By the end of this season or the start of next we'l be smashing in 2+ goals every game I'm confident of that but at the back I've lost all confidence we'll ever tighten up.

"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life" Bill Shankly

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #4191 on: December 29, 2014, 10:20:22 am »
Imagine if Rodgers brings Lovren straight back into the team for Sakho when he's fit again...

Offline slw614

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4192 on: December 29, 2014, 10:23:24 am »
I still don't think Lovren is the problem. He is a really class centre-back; just not for us. The problem lies deeper than that and unfortunately with the manager and coaching staff.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #4193 on: December 29, 2014, 10:24:04 am »
Sometimes you have to take what ex-players say with a dollop of salt.

While defence may not be Wenger/Rodgers strength to suggest they don't know about positioning/organisation is ridiculous. 

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #4194 on: December 29, 2014, 10:24:42 am »
Imagine if Rodgers brings Lovren straight back into the team for Sakho when he's fit again...
Haven't seen the game against Burnley.  How did Sakho do?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4195 on: December 29, 2014, 10:25:26 am »
I still don't think Lovren is the problem. He is a really class centre-back; just not for us. The problem lies deeper than that and unfortunately with the manager and coaching staff.

Everything is the manager's fault. Directly/indirectly this is the only drum you've been banging

Change the tune please. If this is not possible for you let me know
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #4196 on: December 29, 2014, 10:26:21 am »
Haven't seen the game against Burnley.  How did Sakho do?

Our man of the match in my opinion.

Offline slw614

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4197 on: December 29, 2014, 10:27:19 am »
Everything is the manager's fault. Directly/indirectly this is the only drum you've been banging

Sorry if it seems like that but I do rate Lovren. Just not in a Liverpool shirt. And before he came to us, so did practically everyone on here. So since joining us, something has gone wrong for him. He has been poor but uncharacteristically so. So where else should I look other than the tactics or training, which falls under the remit of the manager!?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:29:25 am by slw614 »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #4198 on: December 29, 2014, 10:44:23 am »

While I don't agree that there is a problem with the manager/coaching, I don't think we will/can significantly improve on the current set of centre halves.  Both Sakho and Lovren are international centre halves and have played top level football for a number of years.  They are not youngsters and will soon be coming into their peak. 

I've recently been thinking the issue may be to do with the instructions we give players, in particular the defenders.  We clearly work on decision making on the ball.  And I think this may be the issue.  The centre halves and GK may be overburdened with information.  There is only so much information somebody can take in and process efficiently.  Maybe we are trying too much.  It's why we see lapses in concentration.  The mental energy expended on the ball may be leading to off the ball mistakes.  There is always a trade-off. 

This may well be a process thing.  It may take the defensive players longer to adjust to Rodgers methods.  Maybe they need 50/75/100 games to adjust.  I don't know.  Personally, the best centre halves under Rodgers have been Carragher (2nd half of 2012/13) and Skrtel (2nd half of 2013/14).  The defenders with the most experience.  In that case we should expect Sakho and Lovren to get better.  Alternatively, Rodgers may need to tweak his methods to achieve better balance.  It may mean we give up a bit of ball circulation for defensive solidity.  But I don't know how much that deviates from the current plan. 

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #4199 on: December 29, 2014, 10:48:48 am »
People may laugh but the information overload thing may be why we see Mignolet do things like let the ball run out of play and look like a Sunday leaguer.  In his head he's following protocol, possibly something like;

1. Hit early pass, if not available then
2. Delay & wait for shape change
3. Delay as much as possible to create opening
4. Delay should not exceed 7 seconds