Author Topic: Suarez banned for 4 months (discuss ban not transfer rubbish)  (Read 240996 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Suarez banned for 4 months (discuss ban not transfer rubbish)
« Reply #2240 on: June 26, 2014, 09:14:43 pm »
Question for those defending Suarez, with no provocation meant.

If this was a drug problem, he failed a test, or didn't show - would you still back him? 

Again just trying to find out where people draw the line, and not look to spark a row.

A drug problem would be his choice to take the drugs in the first place knowing he was doing something wrong but doing it anyway, his biting (imo) is a emotional reaction with no premeditated thought about it.

I can't really compare the two for that reason.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2241 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:10 pm »
Quicker to ask someone than scroll though a page a minute thread.

Probably quicker to tell me than think of a snarky reply too.
It really wasn't meant to be snarky....

It was just telling you where to look!  Honest!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline JonnyDubb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2242 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:18 pm »
I was hoping he'd have a shocking World Cup to put off bids from Real and Barca.

But not like this Luis...

Not like this  :'(

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2243 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:27 pm »
Is he allowed to train with the rest of the team?
I guess if he's still here this coming season the club will send him on one of those types of fitness jaunts rooney seems to have when he travels to the states(which i think is the nike HQ in portland oregon) to work up his fitness,not sure where suarez would go maybe uruguay.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2244 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:30 pm »
You've got to think that A) this will be appealed and probably reduced, at least as far as LFC are concerned since FIFA is unlikely to want to see this go to the CAS. And B) we put some sort of morality clause in his last contract that says we don't have to pay him while he's suspended for something like this. I wouldn't be surprised if biting is directly mentioned.

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #2245 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:36 pm »
No,

Thought so. Pepe has numerous kicking, stomping and headbutting incidents to his name. IIRC, the biggest ban he has ever gotten was 4 matches. Suarez just got banned for 4 months from ALL football and from international incidents for 7 matches (extends to 2015 or 2016). This ban is WAY over the top.

And this isn't bias. If he were a man Utd player I'd still think chucking him into footballing prison for 4 months over a bit is OTT

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2247 on: June 26, 2014, 09:16:08 pm »
His point was absolutely correct.

There are no morals. I've seen many people on Facebook commenting on Suarez over the last few days, the vast majority are people who have never mentioned football on there once before. Why? Are they really shocked and upset? Nah. But the footage and images have been rammed down everyone's throats by the media, who are desperate to milk every angle of the Suarez story to make money. On top of the numerous articles, did the Guardian really need another two on their front webpage telling us what Bruce Springsteen and Andy Murray make of the incident (yes really). What does Springsteen think about the 1000 deaths of migrant workers in Qatar? Where's all the facebook outrage over the predicted 4000 death toll before a ball is kicked in 2022? What's FIFA doing about it? Why isn't this story being rammed down our throats? Because the story doesn't get half as many clicks as anything with Suarez's name in the headline.

What Suarez did is stupid. He deserves punishment. But do I want to sell him? No. He's the most exciting player in the world to watch, and we have more chance of winning games with him on the pitch. If Suarez was doing all this as a United player, I wouldn't be made up at the prospect of United having their name dragged through the mud. I wouldn't care. I would be made up at the prospect of them being forced to sell their most dangerous player. Yes, Suarez is a liability, and I fully understand and appreciate the views of everyone who wants to get rid and cash in. But if we keep Suarez I know for a fact I'll be cheering his goals (hell, we all did this season after the Ivanovic ban). So even though he's let us down badly, and I'm so disappointed with him, our team is a much more dangerous prospect with him in it (when he's not banned).

I couldn't agree more, the faux moral outrage is the most irritating thing about the whole situation. There are horrible things happening in our own country never mind around the world and a bite gets billing on the news, while atrocities are going on in Libya and Iraq. It's a fucking joke, of course it is.

My stance on Suarez has nothing to do with moral outrage or OTT condemnation of what he's done (i.e. bite someone). It's more to do with him constantly letting us down and causing us issues we don't really need. It's the uncertainty his behaviour causes. How can we make long-term plans when our best player and biggest financial asset is constantly fucking around? How much time and energy do we waste dealing with these situations and making "Suarez contingencies" when we could be focusing on the players who aren't constantly leaving themselves open to these ridiculous sanctions?

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2248 on: June 26, 2014, 09:16:58 pm »
It really wasn't meant to be snarky....

It was just telling you where to look!  Honest!

;D I'm lazy. Sorry bud.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2249 on: June 26, 2014, 09:17:49 pm »
;D I'm lazy. Sorry bud.
No worries....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Silly Effin' Pidl

• drove an Aldi
  • Kopite
  • Annie Roader to victory in the Grand National
« Reply #2250 on: June 26, 2014, 09:18:00 pm »
Luis I still love you but please please stop pretending you're the Count. Please get some serious therapy and counselling to get at the root of what has been causing you to vent your frustration on the pitch in such a way.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2251 on: June 26, 2014, 09:18:05 pm »
The one thing that annoyed me more than anything is some stupid c*nt bitch I went to law school with who has no idea how many players are even on a football team trying to passive aggressively take the piss out of me on twitter over it.

Offline TheRevanchist

• Reports back to Red Cafe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #2252 on: June 26, 2014, 09:18:26 pm »
Thought so. Pepe has numerous kicking, stomping and headbutting incidents to his name. IIRC, the biggest ban he has ever gotten was 4 matches. Suarez just got banned for 4 months from ALL football and from international incidents for 7 matches (extends to 2015 or 2016). This ban is WAY over the top.

And this isn't bias. If he were a man Utd player I'd still think chucking him into footballing prison for 4 months over a bit is OTT

He got 10 when he decided to repeatedly kick on the back that poor player. To clarify, he didn't got 10 matches because of the red card but because he hit that player when he was down. The punishment was seen as very soft but Spanish FA are softer than other federations. In England - most likely - he would have got something like Cantona.
“Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’. The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We have dismissed this claim.”

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #2253 on: June 26, 2014, 09:19:08 pm »

If this was a drug problem, he failed a test, or didn't show - would you still back him? 

Again just trying to find out where people draw the line, and not look to spark a row.

Would definitely have a problem if his ban for drug taking was way in excess of any ever given for that breach by a player before.

Offline GeneticRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2254 on: June 26, 2014, 09:20:33 pm »
No. I said that it would be 'naive' to believe there would be no domestic repercussions. If FIFA hadnt banned him domestically, I think the FA probably would have. And if the FA didnt ban him I suspect he would have been suspended by the club - actually I think the club would probably have suspended him to be proactive to prevent FA intervention.
We do not directly benefit from him scoring goals for his country so we should not be directly punished for his indiscretions.

This is not a naïve expectation.

A suitable punishment would be a long ban from the competitions of the team he was playing for when he committed the offence.

If it was to be judged more severe than a 9 game international ban then add games to that.

He is already immediately out of the biggest competition he can play in for his country and for a long while after that. He and his country will be severely affected by this.

Increase this if necessary to say 15 games. It's him and his country who should be punished.

Liverpool should not in any way - just as Uruguay weren't when he committed the Ivanovic bite.

The ban for us is out of order. We should not be punished at all and certainly as it currently stands, more than anyone else.

I fully expect LFC to challenge for the club part of it to be reversed/severely reduced.

It has been made in haste because of the time pressure for the 2nd round match and has not been thought through enough.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2255 on: June 26, 2014, 09:20:44 pm »
He got 10 when he decided to repeatedly kick on the back that poor player. To clarify, he didn't got 10 matches because of the red card but because he hit that player when he was down. The punishment was seen as very soft but Spanish FA are softer than other federations. In England - most likely - he would have got something like Cantona.
He got 10 games for the sending off, the kick outs, a punch to another player and abusing an official.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2256 on: June 26, 2014, 09:20:48 pm »

How about the fact he has been done twice, domestically, for headbutting, and then in THIS world cup he got sent off for headbutting... where is his long term ban?

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #2257 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:13 pm »
Do we reckon that Brendan has spoken to him yet?

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #2258 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:28 pm »
I don't see anyone defending him - just a lot of people thinking the punishment does not fit the crime

I think its more a case of the punishment fits the crimes.

This isn't a first time offender in a sudden fit of stupidity - its a serial offender and FIFA have simply run out of patience.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2259 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:47 pm »
I'm not sure it's the right time...
W

Offline TheRevanchist

• Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #2260 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »
How about the fact he has been done twice, domestically, for headbutting, and then in THIS world cup he got sent off for headbutting... where is his long term ban?

I don't think that headbutting is the same as biting, and apparently Dutch FA/English FA/FIFA doesn't think it too. I also agree that for repeated offense (in this case headbutting) the punishment should be higher and should be taken into account.
“Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’. The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We have dismissed this claim.”

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #2261 on: June 26, 2014, 09:23:02 pm »
Is it normal for Fifa to issue world wide bans like this against players? Either from stuff happening in tournaments or just internationals?

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2262 on: June 26, 2014, 09:23:30 pm »

Reckon he's probably been egging his house and posting shit through the letterbox since Tuesday!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2263 on: June 26, 2014, 09:23:41 pm »
Is it normal for Fifa to issue world wide bans like this against players? Either from stuff happening in tournaments or just internationals?

Never happened before as far as I know.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2264 on: June 26, 2014, 09:25:24 pm »

Only for drugs and match fixing as far as I'm aware.

Drugs, match fixing, biting.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2265 on: June 26, 2014, 09:25:51 pm »
I don't think that headbutting is the same as biting, and apparently Dutch FA/English FA/FIFA doesn't think it too. I also agree that for repeated offense (in this case headbutting) the punishment should be higher and should be taken into account.

Go on youtube and search for a video called "Pepe - Pure Evil" it's a 4-minute-compilation of Pepe running all over the pitch hitting and kicking players, feigning injury and doing all kinds of awful stuff. He got a ONE-MATCH-BAN for his headbutt against Müller. The guy is a raving lunatic and not a single person seems to give a fuck about that. Suarez' punishment is about 20 times worse than that. It's simply ridiculous...

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #2266 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »
Quicker to ask someone than scroll though a page a minute thread.

Probably quicker to tell me than think of a snarky reply too.
Mine is word for word, because I rewound it and typed it up :P

In any other business if someone has a stress related problem, you help them. We give Uruguay stick about defending him, every manager defends a player who steps out of order. In football, people talk about morals, in football we don't have it, there are no morals in football, lets get that right, we have none. Over the years I've played football there's been wife batterers, drunk driving incidents, infidelity, there's been Eric Cantona jumping into the crowd and kung-fu kicking somebody in the chest, the clubs stand by them. The supporters themselves, when these guys come back, they stand up and applaud them on the pitch. So don't anybody start talking about morals, because we don't have any in football. All its about is winning football matches.
If these things had been done by youth team players, who've not got any importance to a first team, they get sacked. But because they can bring in merchandise, they can bring in money, they will back them to the hilt.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #2267 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:32 pm »

Even so, FIFA has done NOTHING to Pepe. Nada. The guy played in a match today.

I also haven't heard anything from FIFA about Song's punch (which lead to a red) or Sahko's elbow (no red). Unless FIFA considers punch, headbutts and kicks as being ok as long as it is your first timw
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:28:45 pm by apocalypse »

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #2268 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:32 pm »
I'm not sure it's the right time...

Really? He is his club manager. I know football is different to real life, but surely they've had contact?

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #2269 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:34 pm »

At least then the suspension would be fair and consistent with the crime. That is most peoples problem.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2270 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:43 pm »
Just stunned by this stunned. 4 fuc king months ffs. This is what the media can do as far as targeting a player is concerned.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline TheRevanchist

• Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #2271 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:48 pm »

It happens only on very extreme cases. Joao Pinto is the last player to have been banned from football for offenses he did during a world cup (he hit the referee on 2002). Luisao of Benfica had been banned from all football activities several years ago but I am not sure if it had been done from Portuguese FA or from FIFA. And of course, there are numerous drug, doping and match fixing cases.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2272 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:51 pm »

I'd ask him what he scored and could he get me some.

Offline TheRevanchist

• Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #2273 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:29 pm »
Even so, FIFA has done NOTHING to Pepe. Nada. The guy played in a match today.

Apparently they count a headbutt only as a normal red card.

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #2274 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »
Only for drugs and match fixing as far as I'm aware.

Drugs, match fixing, biting.

Sounds like a Saturday round Blatters gaff

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2275 on: June 26, 2014, 09:28:02 pm »
I don't think that headbutting is the same as biting

It isn't.

One involves propelling your hard head in a forward motion, often to soft areas such as noses and eye sockets, and the other involves slightly pressing your teeth, through clothes, into someone.

:D

The fact that FIFA clearly see head butting as a lower offense is shocking in itself, which is apparently what they are saying in this instance.

and apparently Dutch FA/English FA/FIFA doesn't think it too. I also agree that for repeated offense (in this case headbutting) the punishment should be higher and should be taken into account.

Yet he got a red card and nothing else. 3rd time he has been done for it, with the 3rd time coming in this WC.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #2276 on: June 26, 2014, 09:28:30 pm »
Luis' first match back would be against Newcastle Utd at St. James' Park.

I did some exploring and found this article from the Newcastle's Evening Chronicle; http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/luis-suarezs-st-james-park-7332565

An interesting viewpoint from someone not wishing to have to contend with Luis!

:scarf

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2277 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »
Just stunned by this stunned. 4 fuc king months ffs. This is what the media can do as far as targeting a player is concerned.

I doubt the media outcry over here would have had any impact whatsoever as Fifa despise them.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2278 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:41 pm »
What I find hard to stomach is the fact Suarez clearly doesn't feel he has done anything wrong. He hasn't acknowledged that he made a mistake, and infact has tried to imply he was the victim of this scenario. It seems that in his head it is ok to bite people, and I start to wonder if the "apology" he made last year to the club and fans for his bite on Ivanovic wasn't some forced move by the club to appease the media and fans.

If Suarez had come out after this incident and immediately acknowledged he had done wrong, apologised and held his hands up then I could have sympathy for him. He clearly does have some issues to sort out, but until he acknowledges the fact he has done something wrong then all the psychologists in the world won't help him overcome this problem. For me he is too much of a loose cannon and he doesn't show any signs of changing, and for that reason I would not be surprised to see us cut our ties with him and move him on. The club deserve better from him, especially given the support he has had over the last 3 and a half years here.

Offline RedDevo

• Main Stander
« Reply #2279 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:12 pm »
By that logic, if they banned him for life ( for example ) - we'd lose 60-80 millions euros overnight. I think Liverpool do come into it.

Of course Liverpool come into it. But why should his value to Liverpool be a consideration for FIFA?

Liverpool are being punished for something completely out of their hands, and have in a nutshell been told to take it up the ass and shut up. It's not that hard to see why fans and the club would be pissed off.
?

I completely agree. I am gutted for Brendan and gutted for Liverpool. Whether we were planning on selling for £70m-£80m or continuing to build our team around him this has royally fucked our preparations for the start of next season.

It does affect Liverpool mate. What right do FIFA have of stopping players playing in their domestic leagues? There is no precedent for that.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I would like to know if there was precedent of a player being banned from domestic matches by FIFA?
The punishment is excessive if not surprising, driven in part to satisfy the media outrage and protect FIFA from criticism.

Maybe it would be down to the Premier League and UEFA to appeal as FIFA are unilaterally banning a player from their competitions. Of course, that’s not going to happen.

My point is that if FIFA do have the ultimate jurisdiction to punish Luis as they see fit why should we expect them worry about how it affects Liverpool?