Author Topic: Louis Van Gaal was the Manager of Mourinho United  (Read 3900924 times)

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
Re: Louis Van Gaal is still the Manager of Manchester United
« Reply #26280 on: July 13, 2015, 12:32:20 am »
Bit of a shout that. You don't win 13 titles with shite midfields.
`99, giggs-keane-scholes-beckham wasn't it?

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26281 on: July 13, 2015, 12:39:22 am »
I think Herrera's possibly their best midfielder, even with the signings. I think he'll probably be the mainstay and the other 3 will rotate depending on matchup/fitness.

Still think they're short an experienced centre back and probably a striker. Then whatever happens with the De Gea situation of course...

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26282 on: July 13, 2015, 12:47:19 am »
They only finished 5 points behind Arsenal and have made the better signings so far. Seems crazy to me that people think Arsenal are that far ahead of them.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26283 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49:34 am »
I know I'm in the minority but Wanyama > Schneiderlin.
and for good reason, he can barely pass.

They'll have a very deep midfield going into this season. Carrick/ Schneiderlin -- Herrera and Schweinsteiger/Di Maria --- Mata and Fellaini (oh and Depay)

They definitely need that striker though. They have Rooney and Hernandez after he comes back from injury but that's not enough. Will definitely be hard to edge them out this season if they get that and a CB. Our striker signing is crucial.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:54:05 am by Sir Psycho Sexy »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline TheRevanchist

• Reports back to Red Cafe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #26284 on: July 13, 2015, 12:50:22 am »
I think Herrera's possibly their best midfielder, even with the signings. I think he'll probably be the mainstay and the other 3 will rotate depending on matchup/fitness.

Still think they're short an experienced centre back and probably a striker. Then whatever happens with the De Gea situation of course...

Herrera and Schneiderlin are around the same level IMO, and in theory should be able to form a great partnership.

If Schweinsteiger doesn't get injured and can play how he did pre-Pep (or how he plays for Germany), he is a level above them though.

CB is by far the biggest priority IMO. Even before the signings, it was the biggest weakness in the team. Saying that, I think that we have a deal in place for Otamendi.
“Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’. The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We have dismissed this claim.”

Offline TheRevanchist

• Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #26285 on: July 13, 2015, 12:53:08 am »
and for good reason, he can barely pass.

They'll have a very deep midfield going into this season. Carrick/ Schneiderlin -- Herrera and Schweinsteiger/Di Maria --- Mata and Fellaini.

They definitely need that striker though. They have Rooney and Hernandez after he comes back from injury but that's not enough. Will definitely be hard to edge them out this season if they get that and a CB. Our striker signing is crucial.

If Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal plans to play with a single striker for the entire season, maybe we won't go for a striker. It won't make sense to spend a lot of money for a backup player, when we already have Hernandez (who has shown in the past that can do an excellent job as cover). It also seems that the club trusts a lot Wilson.

If we go for a striker, I hope to God that we'll go for Lacazette instead of Benteke/Lukaku (although between them I rate Lukaku mroe than Benteke).
“Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’. The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We have dismissed this claim.”

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26286 on: July 13, 2015, 12:57:25 am »
If Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal plans to play with a single striker for the entire season, maybe we won't go for a striker. It won't make sense to spend a lot of money for a backup player, when we already have Hernandez (who has shown in the past that can do an excellent job as cover). It also seems that the club trusts a lot Wilson.

If we go for a striker, I hope to God that we'll go for Lacazette instead of Benteke/Lukaku (although between them I rate Lukaku mroe than Benteke).

Non related question to what you're discussing. Didn't you lot sign a kit deal with Adidas? Why is your new fullback presented in a Nike kit?

Offline TheRevanchist

• Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #26287 on: July 13, 2015, 01:02:39 am »
Non related question to what you're discussing. Didn't you lot sign a kit deal with Adidas? Why is your new fullback presented in a Nike kit?

adidas deal starts from first of August.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26288 on: July 13, 2015, 01:06:18 am »
I think Man U have bought well.  Especially like the Depay and Schneiderlin signings.

But I think the Man U centre midfield was fairly strong already, especially when Carrick was fit.  I think they have improved it, but for me the key signings for them are more the keeper, defenders and strikers they get.  They're the ones who will ultimately keep the clean sheets and finish the chances to win games.  They didn't struggle to control games last season on the whole.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26289 on: July 13, 2015, 01:10:10 am »

Care to elaborate?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26290 on: July 13, 2015, 01:11:35 am »
adidas deal starts from first of August.

Ah, thanks for that.

United have resolved their midfield issue that they've had for the last couple of years. De Gea will leave most likely and it will be interesting to see who they replace him with. Their other main crucial area is at the back. If they address everything, they will be title challengers most likely.

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26291 on: July 13, 2015, 01:21:22 am »
United have resolved their midfield issue that they've had for the last couple of years.

Not sure it was that big of an issue.  Man U had more possession last season than any other side in the league, averaging 61% per game.  So their midfield were controlling football matches.

I think their defence and strikers were the issue last season, De Gea papering over a lot of the cracks defensively.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline TheRevanchist

• Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #26292 on: July 13, 2015, 01:25:38 am »
Not sure it was that big of an issue.  Man U had more possession last season than any other side in the league, averaging 61% per game.  So their midfield were controlling football matches.

I think their defence and strikers were the issue last season, De Gea papering over a lot of the cracks defensively.

Bar in a few games (like that insane streak against Spurs, Liverpool and City) it was toothless possession. Against Chelsea we had 70% or so but still managed to create feck all.

Schneiderlin should provide the needed defensive stability which we didn't have when Carrick was out. A lot of defense problems were caused by not having a good player there.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26293 on: July 13, 2015, 01:32:31 am »
I thought I was the only one!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26294 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:21 am »
Bar in a few games (like that insane streak against Spurs, Liverpool and City) it was toothless possession. Against Chelsea we had 70% or so but still managed to create feck all.

Schneiderlin should provide the needed defensive stability which we didn't have when Carrick was out. A lot of defense problems were caused by not having a good player there.

Agreed.

But I think the creativity of someone like Depay, giving better supply to Rooney etc.  Will be more useful than the centre midfield signing personally, although you have upgraded that position as well.

Will be interesting to see what strikers you go for.  Also whether you get another keeper or Valdes becomes number 1.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26295 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:40 am »
Care to elaborate?

Not much to elaborate on. I think he's a better player with more potential.

His passing isn't great but he can dominate a midfield without the Alonso range of passing. I think Schneiderlin is easier on the eye as far as playing style goes but I'd much rather come up against a midfield with Schneiderlin in it that Wanyama.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #26296 on: July 13, 2015, 01:56:09 am »

Seems a little thin though, if you're serious about a title challenge. I'm not really sure Hernandez is the type of #9 Van Gaal wants either, to be honest. At least not in a system with one up front. Think you could be more likely to see Fellaini as Rooney's deputy, and Hernandez used as an impact sub. A lot of games this season if you qualify for the CL, so it would surprise me if Van Gaal decides he's happy with the striker options he currently has.

United have done very good business so far though. With Schweini and Schneiderlin in there with Carrick, Herrera and Blind, the midfield suddenly looks really solid. Last season I thought Southampton and Chelsea were the only teams in the league who were tight enough in midfield to really control games. United tried, but just didn't have the quality or the cohesion - before it improved tenfold with the introduction of Carrick. United with and without him are two very different teams, and with these two signings you suddenly don't rely as much on him anymore. Some questions about his and Schweinsteiger's fitness, but with Blind and Schneiderlin there as well it suddenly doesn't matter that much if one of them is injured.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26297 on: July 13, 2015, 02:26:42 am »
We wish and hope their new transfers fail there but Depay, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Otamendi (looks like deal is almost done) will improve them significantly.

Bar Schweinsteiger, other three are only 25,25 and 27. I also think Otamendi's arrival will improve Rojo too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:37:22 am by elsewhere »

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
Louis Van Gaal is still the Manager of Manchester United
« Reply #26298 on: July 13, 2015, 02:36:44 am »
Darmian and Depay I think are risky but promising signings. I think we've done better with Firmino and Clyne. Schniederlin and Schwienstiger however are a great midfield partnership and we'll struggle to match that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:39:14 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26299 on: July 13, 2015, 02:38:33 am »
United have done very good business so far though. With Schweini and Schneiderlin in there with Carrick, Herrera and Blind, the midfield suddenly looks really solid. Some questions about his (Carrick) and Schweinsteiger's fitness, but with Blind and Schneiderlin there as well it suddenly doesn't matter that much if one of them is injured.

I think there's a pretty big drop off in quality if Blind ends up turning out in their midfield. Tactically very good but physically overmatched for speed and strength by just about every midfielder in the league.

I see him as the odd man out after their business so far. At best, he's maybe 5th choice midfielder and 2nd choice left back - although I'd personally have Rojo and maybe even Young, in certain circumstances, before him in that position too.

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26300 on: July 13, 2015, 03:10:41 am »
Schweinsteiger is a beast, I do not like him signing for Utd....scares me a bit.
In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26301 on: July 13, 2015, 03:24:45 am »
Darmian and Depay I think are risky but promising signings. I think we've done better with Firmino and Clyne.

Interesting one, considering the fees paid are relatively the same (wages might be different). I think all four will prove to be good signings, though ours will probably settle quicker, Firmino in particular, as he's further along in his development than Depay. 

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26302 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:25 am »
Darmian and Depay I think are risky but promising signings. I think we've done better with Firmino and Clyne. Schniederlin and Schwienstiger however are a great midfield partnership and we'll struggle to match that.
Firmino should prove a superior acquisition to Depay, this year anyway. Darmian is incredible though, criminally underrated because he is a fullback at a modest club. For me, he is miles ahead of Clyne.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26303 on: July 13, 2015, 04:04:57 am »
Bar Schweinsteiger, other three are only 25,25 and 27. I also think Otamendi's arrival will improve Rojo too.
Not sure how Otamendi's arrival will improve Rojo. Rojo, IMO, is an average player. He was his own self for Argentina, too, during Copa America.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26304 on: July 13, 2015, 04:08:52 am »
Darmian is a decent player, I've seen enough of him, but I don't think he's much better than Clyne, we have done well for that position too.

Schneiderlin I rate very, very highly, wish we had gotten him. Depay will do very well as an individual threat and as part of the team, Firmino depends a bit more on the team.

They look to have a nice midfield group now though - Herrera, Schneiderlin, Blind, Schweinsteiger, Carrick.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26305 on: July 13, 2015, 06:23:36 am »
Darmian is a decent player, I've seen enough of him, but I don't think he's much better than Clyne, we have done well for that position too.

Schneiderlin I rate very, very highly, wish we had gotten him. Depay will do very well as an individual threat and as part of the team, Firmino depends a bit more on the team.

They look to have a nice midfield group now though - Herrera, Schneiderlin, Blind, Schweinsteiger, Carrick.

Isn't there a problem there (similar to what we have), about the playing styles being very similar for all 5 of them. Not an overtly athletic or fast set of midfielders, though qualities on the ball are obvious.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26306 on: July 13, 2015, 07:46:17 am »
And also, 2 of them (Carrick and Schweinsteiger) are possible injury concerns - Carrick certainly so.

As always I'm not really worried about what other teams do, if we can sort ourselves out with goals then that's all that matters.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #26307 on: July 13, 2015, 08:24:37 am »
They still need a striker and a GK though.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26308 on: July 13, 2015, 08:36:34 am »

They need a backup striker. Rooney is a good player and capable of 20+ goal if used as a striker. I think the bigger concern is GK and CB personally. For me Schniederlin is the key signing, he's the only signing that improves them defensively and that's where most of their problems lie IMO.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26309 on: July 13, 2015, 08:37:48 am »

They will get them.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #26310 on: July 13, 2015, 08:49:14 am »
They need a backup striker. Rooney is a good player and capable of 20+ goal if used as a striker. I think the bigger concern is GK and CB personally. For me Schniederlin is the key signing, he's the only signing that improves them defensively and that's where most of their problems lie IMO.

Rooney won't be fit all season and will surely get suspended too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26311 on: July 13, 2015, 09:02:04 am »
Isn't there a problem there (similar to what we have), about the playing styles being very similar for all 5 of them. Not an overtly athletic or fast set of midfielders, though qualities on the ball are obvious.

Yeah, Schneiderlin is the clear standout physically in the air and has pace, and I suppose Herrera can provide adequate support - you would fancy your chances against the likes of Blind, Schweini and Carrick in a battle.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #26312 on: July 13, 2015, 09:08:54 am »
Guardian saying Cavani is key target.

They will swap Di Maria I suspect.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26313 on: July 13, 2015, 09:15:29 am »

They keep the ball so well and are so compact when they defend it is not much of an issue.

It wouldn't be if we had those options given the expansive way we play.  But United are so compact, positioning is more important than speed.  Which is why I think a player like Lucas would look even better at a club like Man U, rather than our open approach... although that's for another topic.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:17:15 am by LFC4LIFENET »
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26314 on: July 13, 2015, 09:16:28 am »
Ha Ha.

They are gonna be strong if th eright GK (Loris?) and striker (Cavani?) come in.
No doubt about it.

Offline Whispering Death

• ....but call me Ishmael....moby.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Samie are you okay? Are you okay Samie?
« Reply #26315 on: July 13, 2015, 09:27:12 am »
Still the 4th best team in the league.

The attack doesn't hold up when you compare it to the other three. They lack an elite attacker. Chelsea have Hazard, Arsenal hold Sanchez and City possess Aguero.

Di Maria and Mata are alright.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26316 on: July 13, 2015, 09:28:52 am »
I think it's a safe assumption to say that there will be more purchases to come. United will spend many more millions yet this window.

For me their midfield is now better than both Arsenal and City's. So they don't need a top tier striker necessarily, they have quality everywhere.

It is necessary though. That's the area of the field which matters the most. The best teams all over possess at least one attacker who is elite.

United hold a batch of good attackers but not anyone truly outstanding.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26317 on: July 13, 2015, 09:30:26 am »
Di Maria and Mata are alright.

Mata is nowhere elite. Di Maria is capable of being that if he were to show his Madrid form but that looks highly unlikely.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26318 on: July 13, 2015, 09:32:10 am »
Cavani their main striker target.

Bloody hell, they are really going for it this window. If they get him I think they'll be challenging for the title.

Online redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #26319 on: July 13, 2015, 09:40:29 am »
I hate to say it but if and when they get Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin they'll have the makings of a great side,

Still defensively weak but they'll be very solid in midfield so it might compensate. If they got Cavani and another CB it'd be a really fucking annoyingly great window for them. 

I have to say after a bit of a lull the PL on paper is becoming very strong again. City had better pray that Aguero stays fit, Sterling hits the ground running and they remember Yaya's birthday because they seem to be standing still whilst everyone else strengthens