Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 334050 times)

Offline Number 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • "the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing"
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #2920 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:41 PM »
It's more likely that Arsenal win the CL and finish 5th than Utd.

True.

Although that won't happen either.
YWNA

Offline Red_Rich

• Legend
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #2921 on: February 24, 2014, 11:42:24 PM »
Why is this thread now about united's chance of winning the CL?

Because it could affect us if we finish 4th and they were to somehow win it.

For what it's worth, I don't THINK they will win it.  There are too many good teams that SHOULD get in their way before they even get a sniff of the final.

But I still think it's not impossible (unlike finshing 4th which I think is too much of a task)

League is league.  But the CL is a KO comp.  Luck does come into it.

Chelsea won it in 2012 DESPITE Di Matteo.  The players went for it and got the breaks.  FFS even Terry was giving out instructions from the bench vs Napoli!!!

I guess yoiu cant argue too much with the bookies though.  And they have them now even further out at 20-1.

Offline kcbworth

• Legend
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2922 on: February 24, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
I have a feeling we'll be the closest (in points/GD terms) to the PL title that we ever have been (either by winning it, or finishing 2nd or 3rd within a point or two of the winner)

Offline kcbworth

• Legend
« Reply #2923 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:38 PM »
It's more likely that Arsenal win the CL and finish 5th than Utd.

Ha now that would be sneaky... bastards

Offline Red_Rich

• Legend
« Reply #2924 on: February 24, 2014, 11:47:43 PM »
Have a look-see of some of the threads which deal with calculations of 'form'...there are some clever people on them who can work out the realistic probabilities of the various situations.

One of which is whether United will overhaul us...you don't need to be a boffin to answer that one...they won't and no amount of pretend fear will change that.

It's been shown that over the last 1/3rd of the season the PPG form of sides doesn't change very much [usual range is up to +0.1 PPG].

United are currently 45pts from 27 games = 1.67 PPG. If they improve by the 10% they'd have 1.83 PPG over their last 11 games, they'd get 20pts and finish with a total of 65pts.

Liverpool are currently 56pts from 27 games = 2.07 PPG. If we reduce by the 10% we'd have 1.87 PPG over our last 11 games, we'd get 20pts and finish on 76pts.

Now...tell me how fans projecting their pessimistic attitude without any form of analysis is benefitting anyone...?

Those who are more positive of mind aren't the ones ignoring the 'realities'...they're the ones paying attention to the probabilities.

When considering the way things may turn out it's only half of the assessment if you're projecting the pessimistic view...not a call to realism.

Didn't United throw an 8pt lead away with 5/6 games to go to hand City the title not so long ago?

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 96.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2925 on: February 25, 2014, 12:01:17 AM »

Didn't United throw an 8pt lead away with 5/6 games to go to hand City the title not so long ago?

We could be 21 points clear with 7 games to go and you'd still be telling us they could over take us ;)

Seriously though, out of the 12 games we have left, how many do you think we can win....?
We will challenge for the title, and you will not finish top 4. Quote me on that all you want.

Offline turkish kopite

• Kopite
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #2926 on: February 25, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »
soton away.. IMO that's more difficult than manu away..

just get 2 pts average per game

If we do this, if we can really do this I believe we will win the title
"Kargalar Sürüyle Kartallar Yalnız Uçar."

"Justice For 96"

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • Legend
« Reply #2927 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:33 AM »
Beat Southampton & Utd away from home and I will believe. At the moment I think we're good value for third.
JFT96

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legend
  • JFT96 RIP
« Reply #2928 on: February 25, 2014, 12:18:42 AM »

Yes. That would be the expensively assembled City with Hart, Aguero, Balotelli, Toure, Silva, Nasri, Kompany, Zabaleta, Dzeko, Zabaleta and Tevez, managed by the Serie A winning Roberto Mancini.

United are managed by David Moyes.
JFT96 YNWA

Online Spraynard Kruger

• Kopite
  • Kolo Toure Brown Town.
« Reply #2929 on: February 25, 2014, 12:21:10 AM »
As is, I think we're reasonably comfortable for 4th but taking maximum points from our next two games would well and truly solidify us as a team that is serious for the title.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legend
« Reply #2930 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:04 AM »
Yes. That would be the expensively assembled City with Hart, Aguero, Balotelli, Toure, Silva, Nasri, Kompany, Zabaleta, Dzeko, Zabaleta and Tevez, managed by the Serie A winning Roberto Mancini.

United are managed by David Moyes.
zabaletta so good you named him twice!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• RAWK Writer
  • Legend
  • JFT96 RIP
« Reply #2931 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
zabaletta so good you named him twice!

He played two positions :D
JFT96 YNWA

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Main Stander
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere
« Reply #2932 on: February 25, 2014, 12:27:57 AM »
If we win this.. would it be bigger than istanbul?

me thinks so.

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2933 on: February 25, 2014, 12:50:16 AM »
Roaring at the fact that some people on here are concerned Man Utd may win the Champions League.

It's like these guys don't consider just who they could up against in the Quarter Final, should they get there. Bayern Munich? Best team on the planet, only perhaps van Persie or Rooney would get in to their side and even that is debatable. Barcelona? Still a world class team. Real Madrid? Absolutely flying at the moment. Ronaldo and Bale alone would cause carnage to Man Utd, but if that's not enough then check out the Real midfield in comparison to United's. PSG? A ridiculously good attack, the world's best defender, a midfield stronger than that of United's. Dortmund? Superior in most departments. Atletico? A very well oiled machine. Chelsea? Managed by a man who has won the Champions League twice and boasts a very impressive record against United. I could go on and on.

That's even if they manage to get past Olympiakos. They should, because the Greeks have sold their two best attacking players (Mitroglou and Weiss), but it's not beyond the realms of possibility United go out at this stage with David Moyes in charge.

To even compare their chances to ours in 2005 is insane in itself. We had a great manager, one of the best tactical minds in the game, a solid defence, two of the best midfielders around and a big game forward in the form of Luis Garcia. This United side has a man in charge whose record against big clubs is utterly diabolical. Their defence has players who are either past it or young and not all that. Midfield is, as everyone knows, a complete mess. Attack, top drawer I'll grant you, but can you really see them getting the ball up to Rooney and van Persie against the likes of Bayern and Barca? They'd do well to surpass 30% possession against those sides.

There isn't zero chance of them winning the competition, it would be foolish to say that, but they are incredibly unlikely to do so that it's not worth thinking about unless they somehow spawn their way to the semi-finals. There's actually more chance of them finishing 4th than of them winning the European Cup this season in my opinion, and the chances of that happening are ridiculously slim as it is.

So chill.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legend
« Reply #2934 on: February 25, 2014, 12:56:48 AM »
Haven't read any of the posts since Swansea, but as I've been saying for a few weeks, the race for 4th place is over. We're 6 points ahead of our nearest rivals (people seem to underrate how big a gap that is at this point in the season, but it's HUGE), and we're, by virtually every measure, simply on another level quality-wise from Sherwood's Spurs. Our job now is to overtake those above us.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legend
« Reply #2935 on: February 25, 2014, 01:12:49 AM »
We could be 21 points clear with 7 games to go and you'd still be telling us they could over take us ;)

;D

Seriously though, out of the 12 games we have left, how many do you think we can win....?

Before the Fulham game I said this and I'm going to stick to it ...

W9  D2  L2  .... of our remaining

So now it's  W7  D2  L2  of our last 11 games.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2936 on: February 25, 2014, 01:57:31 AM »
;D

Before the Fulham game I said this and I'm going to stick to it ...

So now it's  W7  D2  L2  of our last 11 games.

That's actually fairly positive! Would give us 79 points.

Tottenham would have to W9 D2 to match that, and their goal difference still wouldn't beat it. So W10 D1 it is. Man U and Everton can't catch us if we go by your run of form!
We will challenge for the title, and you will not finish top 4. Quote me on that all you want.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legend
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #2937 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04:44 AM »
Haven't read any of the posts since Swansea, but as I've been saying for a few weeks, the race for 4th place is over. We're 6 points ahead of our nearest rivals (people seem to underrate how big a gap that is at this point in the season, but it's HUGE), and we're, by virtually every measure, simply on another level quality-wise from Sherwood's Spurs. Our job now is to overtake those above us.

United and Spurs fans are now doing the sort of thing people on here have been doing the past X years. Looking 5 fixtures down the line and building up these ideas of "well if they only get 2 points from the next 12..." or "if we get 13 from 15...".

Let's get this right kids - statistically we've been closer to the three sides above us than we have the teams 'competing for 4th'. "Oh, but stats don't tell you the whole picture, you can twist them however you want". Well, "the league table doesn't lie" and all that nonsense. We're 6 points ahead of anyone else competing for 4th. That's 6 points with a +32 goal difference on Spurs. That's a three game swing over eleven games. Spurs, the closest challenger for 4th, need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Everton need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Manchester United need us to lose four more games than them. Over the next 11. Not draw. Lose. Do you know how many we've lost this season? 5. Do you know how many league games we've lost since the start of 2013? 8 in 45. I'll go back even further. Since United won at Anfield last season on the 23rd of September 2012, we've lost 10 games. Out of 60 in the league. That's not with Sturridge or Coutinho. That's Rodgers record besides the first 5 games. We aren't an easy team to beat. Haven't been in a long fucking time. More than long enough to say it's part of the Brendan Rodgers Liverpool DNA, not a streak. We've lost one set of back-to-back fixtures under Rodgers, and they were away to City and Chelsea. But hey, we must be fucking due a collapse, because that's what piss-pants logic dictates, right?

There is literally fucking nothing suggesting we're in a race for 4th instead of a title. I'm not even attempting to be an arrogant dickhead about it. It's just the only thing saying that is fucking cowards logic.

Practically every decent statistical model has us nailed on for top four. Our goal difference (usually a decent indicator) is 2nd best in the league. We're the only team to have kept even remotely within touching distance of City's goalscoring. This Liverpool team had scored more goals after 25 games than any of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal teams had. More than any of Ferguson's league winning teams had. More than any of Chelsea's teams. More than Keegan's Newcastle, more than fucking London club or Keegan's Newcastle. More than the 87-88 team. We're not lucky to be where we are. We're closer to the top than we are to anyone who thinks they're in a 'race for 4th'. We've been picking up 2 points a game steady enough for long over a year now. With Suarez, without Suarez. With Sturridge, without Sturridge. The only thing that doesn't look 'title contenders' about us is our defensive record. And y'know what? It's roughly in the same ball park as United's and Spurs' ones. Not that it fucking matters, because no team below us in the league has scored more than our front 3, never mind the rest of the team.

I'll just say this to end:

If the league had started January 1st 2014, we'd be top.

On December 25 2013, we were top.

Here's a fucking thought for you - maybe we are in a false position. But maybe it's not because we're 'due' to slip up or United or Spurs are ready to pounce and hanging in there. Maybe it's because we were unlucky having the two toughest fixtures in the calender back-to-back, over 3 days, during the most congested period in the calender? Maybe that's it. Because we were top of the league before those two games to the bankrolled pair. We're top of the form league since those two games. Maybe we are in a false position after all...

Or fucking maybe, just maybe I should be scared of the name of other clubs, or guard against optimism lest I look foolish for actually being bullish about what is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to measure by form, underlining statistics, the league table, basic common sense gleaned from watching matches or anything else that isn't piss-pants cowards logic because you're scared to fail and think your posts on here matter a jot about what will happen between now and the end of the season.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline just Craig?

• lite. Well lite in certain depts. AKA Nintendo
  • Legend
  • YNWA
« Reply #2938 on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:34 AM »
^^ great post
Watch out, I'm an FSG mole. No really I am - they planned my existence on here over a year before they bought the club.

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legend
« Reply #2939 on: February 25, 2014, 02:10:12 AM »
It's Chelsea's to lose, "on paper"

Mar 1    10:00 ET    Fulham     v     Chelsea    Craven Cottage    Premier League
Mar 8    12:30 ET    Chelsea     v     Tottenham Hotspur    Stamford Bridge    Premier League
Mar 15    1:30 ET    Aston Villa     v     Chelsea    Villa Park    Premier League
Mar 22    8:45 ET    Chelsea     v     Arsenal    Stamford Bridge    Premier League
Mar 29    11:00 ET    Crystal Palace     v     Chelsea    Selhurst Park    Premier League
Apr 5    10:00 ET    Chelsea     v     Stoke City    Stamford Bridge    Premier League
Apr 12    10:00 ET    Swansea City     v     Chelsea    Liberty Stadium    Premier League
Apr 19    10:00 ET    Chelsea     v     Sunderland    Stamford Bridge    Premier League
Apr 26    10:00 ET    Liverpool     v     Chelsea    Anfield    Premier League
May 3    10:00 ET    Chelsea     v     Norwich City    Stamford Bridge    Premier League
May 11    10:00 ET    Cardiff City     v     Chelsea    Cardiff City Stadium    Premier League

Only our match with them looks like one where they wouldn't be favored coming into the fixture.  Of course, Spurs and Arsenal might cause them problems, but overall its a reasonable schedule for them, with 4 points on us.

On the other hand, the way we are scoring we could just as well near run the table....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:11:57 AM by shook »

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legend
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #2940 on: February 25, 2014, 02:12:07 AM »
If we win this.. would it be bigger than istanbul?

me thinks so.
The European Cup is the pinnacle, and the way we won that one to keep the trophy will never, ever be eclipsed.

But our very first Premier League title? A 38-game marathon, with a ridiculously thin squad, up against some of the oil-richest clubs in world football, having finished barely above midtable for four consecutive seasons prior? As an achievement, it would be beyond absurd.

Whatever happens this year, we know we can compete next.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline just Craig?

• lite. Well lite in certain depts. AKA Nintendo
  • Legend
  • YNWA
« Reply #2941 on: February 25, 2014, 02:13:43 AM »
Only our match with them looks like one where they wouldn't be favored coming into the fixture.  Of course, Spurs and Arsenal might cause them problems, but overall its a reasonable schedule for them, with 4 points on us.

Of course, the way we are scoring we could just as well near run the table....

We've got to beat them and City at Anfield, we do that and its 1 point from the both of them with 10 games to make it up counting from now (presuming City win the game in hand).
Watch out, I'm an FSG mole. No really I am - they planned my existence on here over a year before they bought the club.

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legend
« Reply #2942 on: February 25, 2014, 02:18:19 AM »
We've got to beat them and City at Anfield, we do that and its 1 point from the both of them with 10 games to make it up counting from now (presuming City win the game in hand).

Indeed we do.  For all people - and Rodgers - talk about our defense, if you can score the way we do (and that's an extremely rare group), anything is possible, including an insane PPG for the next 11 matches. 

If we beat Southampton it might be hard to suppress any "internal" hype, given the way their 3 wins against Rodgers' Liverpool.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
    • Grime Forum

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legend
We're all two or three bad decisions away from becoming the ones we fear and pity.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2945 on: February 25, 2014, 02:35:38 AM »
This Liverpool team had scored more goals after 25 games than any of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal teams had. More than any of Ferguson's league winning teams had. More than any of Chelsea's teams. More than Keegan's Newcastle, more than fucking London club or Keegan's Newcastle.

I didn't know all of these were true either!

Offline Juan Loco

• RAWK Writer
  • Legend
« Reply #2946 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:36 AM »
I didn't know all of these were true either!

Yup. Both Newcastles.

And London Club (which I may just start calling Spurs anyways, 'cos they're so fucking Landaaahn).

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
Too many negative, over-critical, spoilt, over-reactionary supporters on these boards, with no sense of the big picture, and no courage to look at the best-case scenario.

Offline Juan Loco

• RAWK Writer
  • Legend
« Reply #2948 on: February 25, 2014, 02:44:08 AM »
Yeah, but he's only doing that because the Everton game was cancelled. Keeps us ahead in the race for fourth.

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legend
« Reply #2949 on: February 25, 2014, 02:46:28 AM »

Hopping on the great post bandwagon. Pretty much sums up anything I could possibly say on the matter, but going to anyway because I like to hear myself talk obviously.

It's a wee bit nuts but we are legitimately title challengers right now. Outside shot, maybe, relative to Chelsea and City (the latter of whom have that tricky game in hand and have also been crazy good this year). Not so much Arsenal at this point in time I'd say, but okay, maybe them too. Fair enough. But we're there. If we screw this up now it's not because of bad refs or anything like that. It's because we screwed it up by ourselves, for ourselves. Go out there and twat Southampton, then steamroll the rest of them. It's ours for the taking. Go take it. Talking about "challening for top four" or whatever atm is missing the damn point. (Also worth noting if we maintain our current new year's PPG over the last run of games, that's another 27.5 (so we'll cheat & round up to 28) pts. So even if we just maintain the level we've been at since January, we're looking at 84 pts this year; while if Chelsea, Arsenal, and City maintained theirs they'd be on 88, 82, and 84 respectively. So we could be looking at 2nd/3rd even if we just maintain our current level). Top four is there. It's over. Bigger and better things await us.

Offline CRAZY HORSE EMLYN

• Kopite
« Reply #2950 on: February 25, 2014, 02:46:32 AM »
Juan Loco, great post.

Haemogoblin, next year I've already started thinking / worrying about… about how this might be our best opportunity before others around us strengthen. But now I'll refer to that as 'piss-pants cowards logic' :)
Lewsoppppijojikk nnunhkbjhjoiijoifc gg c. C Czech
45 Woolmer Close, Birchwood, Warrington WA3 6TT, UK
 x. X

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legend
  • Its GERAAARD. What a hit son, what a hit.
« Reply #2951 on: February 25, 2014, 02:48:17 AM »
Meh, that gif will be nothing compared to the one showing Gerrard's celebration when he rips one in from 40 yards at home to Chelsea.
"I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring."

Joe Allen will be fucking boss, absolutely fucking boss.

"This does not fucking slip, this is gone. We go Norwich, exactly the same, we go again. "

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legend
  • Its GERAAARD. What a hit son, what a hit.
« Reply #2952 on: February 25, 2014, 02:50:44 AM »
United and Spurs fans are now doing the sort of thing people on here have been doing the past X years. Looking 5 fixtures down the line and building up these ideas of "well if they only get 2 points from the next 12..." or "if we get 13 from 15...".

Let's get this right kids - statistically we've been closer to the three sides above us than we have the teams 'competing for 4th'. "Oh, but stats don't tell you the whole picture, you can twist them however you want". Well, "the league table doesn't lie" and all that nonsense. We're 6 points ahead of anyone else competing for 4th. That's 6 points with a +32 goal difference on Spurs. That's a three game swing over eleven games. Spurs, the closest challenger for 4th, need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Everton need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Manchester United need us to lose four more games than them. Over the next 11. Not draw. Lose. Do you know how many we've lost this season? 5. Do you know how many league games we've lost since the start of 2013? 8 in 45. I'll go back even further. Since United won at Anfield last season on the 23rd of September 2012, we've lost 10 games. Out of 60 in the league. That's not with Sturridge or Coutinho. That's Rodgers record besides the first 5 games. We aren't an easy team to beat. Haven't been in a long fucking time. More than long enough to say it's part of the Brendan Rodgers Liverpool DNA, not a streak. We've lost one set of back-to-back fixtures under Rodgers, and they were away to City and Chelsea. But hey, we must be fucking due a collapse, because that's what piss-pants logic dictates, right?

There is literally fucking nothing suggesting we're in a race for 4th instead of a title. I'm not even attempting to be an arrogant dickhead about it. It's just the only thing saying that is fucking cowards logic.

Practically every decent statistical model has us nailed on for top four. Our goal difference (usually a decent indicator) is 2nd best in the league. We're the only team to have kept even remotely within touching distance of City's goalscoring. This Liverpool team had scored more goals after 25 games than any of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal teams had. More than any of Ferguson's league winning teams had. More than any of Chelsea's teams. More than Keegan's Newcastle, more than fucking London club or Keegan's Newcastle. More than the 87-88 team. We're not lucky to be where we are. We're closer to the top than we are to anyone who thinks they're in a 'race for 4th'. We've been picking up 2 points a game steady enough for long over a year now. With Suarez, without Suarez. With Sturridge, without Sturridge. The only thing that doesn't look 'title contenders' about us is our defensive record. And y'know what? It's roughly in the same ball park as United's and Spurs' ones. Not that it fucking matters, because no team below us in the league has scored more than our front 3, never mind the rest of the team.

I'll just say this to end:

If the league had started January 1st 2014, we'd be top.

On December 25 2013, we were top.

Here's a fucking thought for you - maybe we are in a false position. But maybe it's not because we're 'due' to slip up or United or Spurs are ready to pounce and hanging in there. Maybe it's because we were unlucky having the two toughest fixtures in the calender back-to-back, over 3 days, during the most congested period in the calender? Maybe that's it. Because we were top of the league before those two games to the bankrolled pair. We're top of the form league since those two games. Maybe we are in a false position after all...

Or fucking maybe, just maybe I should be scared of the name of other clubs, or guard against optimism lest I look foolish for actually being bullish about what is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to measure by form, underlining statistics, the league table, basic common sense gleaned from watching matches or anything else that isn't piss-pants cowards logic because you're scared to fail and think your posts on here matter a jot about what will happen between now and the end of the season.

Give this man a medal and a pint.  :champ
"I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring."

Joe Allen will be fucking boss, absolutely fucking boss.

"This does not fucking slip, this is gone. We go Norwich, exactly the same, we go again. "

Online Legacy

• Legend
« Reply #2953 on: February 25, 2014, 02:54:56 AM »
Juan Loco, great post.

Haemogoblin, next year I've already started thinking / worrying about… about how this might be our best opportunity before others around us strengthen. But now I'll refer to that as 'piss-pants cowards logic' :)
I'm sure they are just as worried about us getting stronger  :)

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #2954 on: February 25, 2014, 02:57:08 AM »
Chelsea's last minute goal against Everton is a massive blow to our hope of catching Chelsea.

While i do hope/believe they'll drop points ... i also believe we will too.

We just have to keep within that 6 point range before they meet us.

Then we have City to deal with as well. And they'll likely have no Champions League to distract them, Augero back, so they're looking strong too.

You do wonder how we would have fared had we had Sturridge available for those two games against Chelsea and City.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legend
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #2955 on: February 25, 2014, 02:59:03 AM »
Juan Loco, great post.

Mate, I'm just as fucking pumped for next year as Juan is for this.

Of course, we could always play silly beggars in the transfer market and fail to capitalise, or even weaken. But to hell with that shit - I'm imagining we augment what we've got here, lose none of our best, and then ramp it up a notch, whatever the fuck the others do. Our attack does not look like a bunch of expensive footballers just thrown together, in fact at times it looks like they were born to do this together in the same side, and it took LFC to make it happen.

I'm a little tipsy right now, but really, I'm drunk on this team (or roughly just under two thirds of it!).
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online bailey90

• Legend
  • YNWA
« Reply #2956 on: February 25, 2014, 03:01:57 AM »

I like how Henderson is practically stood next to Stevie by the time the ball hits the net.
All these places have their moments

Betfair referral code: QTNVPV44K

Basically if you spend £25 on sports bets in the first month, we both get another £25 free : )

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2957 on: February 25, 2014, 03:02:31 AM »
Chelsea's last minute goal against Everton is a massive blow to our hope of catching Chelsea.

I know. They fail to score there and Toure doesn't do that pass.... we're ahead of them :(

But for every Toure mistake we can remember Mignolet saving a penalty to protect 2 points, I think our total is perhaps fair, but I'll always look back on the shit reffing at Chelsea/Man City specifically because we deserved 2 additional points for those, and them to both have lost 2 points. Would be 1 point separating us/Arsenal and Chelsea then 59/58/58, Man City on 55 with a game in hand.

I fucking hate Howard Webb.

Then again, if we do it despite that, I'm booking the first train to Liverpool and getting absolutely bladdered
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:06:07 AM by Hij »

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2958 on: February 25, 2014, 03:05:17 AM »
I like how Henderson is practically stood next to Stevie by the time the ball hits the net.

Quite a good idea in terms of rebounds to run from far as the penalty taker is running actually, so you're ahead of pretty much everyone if it rebounds, never thought of that before.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• RAWK Writer
  • Legend
  • JFT96 RIP
« Reply #2959 on: February 25, 2014, 03:07:45 AM »
Big picture thinking

Whether we do or don't this season - NEXT season we are already building towards another challenge.

Other teams can strengthen all they want. They can only put 11 players on the pitch at any one time, and field 14 in total in any one game. If we can gather together a top notch 15 players, plus the youth and reserves, we will be in as much a position as anyone else considered a "contender".

It's all in the coaching, people. Skillful football with an iron will, smart transfers and intelligent leadership will always compete with big money. Wenger showed that in 98 and 02 and 04.
JFT96 YNWA