Author Topic: Talking to the Opposition  (Read 12823 times)

Offline Bluemalloy

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Talking to the Opposition
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:36:39 pm »
Hello, Everton fan here and I come in peace...

I usually do a piece for our forum ( http://www.theevertonforum.co.uk/forum.php ) and news-site ( http://myevertonnews.com/ ) where I ask our upcoming opponent fans questions about themselves, about Everton and the upcoming match.

Hopefully I can get some decent replies, so here it goes:

1. Eleven games into the season and enough games to judge the start of the season. How do you feel your Liverpool side have done?

2. Have there been any key players in your side this season that have gone unnoticed to media/opposition fans?

3. Is there a weak point in your starting eleven?

4. What are your expectations for the rest of the season?

5. With that in mind, is Brendan Rodgers the man to take you there?

6. Your tactics have been brought under discussion recently, are we likely to see the 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or another formation?

7. Are you confident of a win going into the derby?

On to Everton... (be kind  ;) )

8. How do you think we have performed so far this season?

9. What do you make of our manager Roberto Martinez? Do you think he will be successful with the Blues?

10. Under Martinez, do you think you'll see a different, maybe more attacking, approach by Everton to the derby games?

11. Which Everton player do you think will trouble you most next Saturday?

12. Where in the starting eleven do you think the weak link lies?

13. Where do you think us Toffees will finish this season?

Finally...

14. Predictions?

Thanks.

Offline Bluemalloy

• Boys Pen
Re: Talking to the Opposition
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:37:41 pm »
If the mods would be kind enough to move this into the Liverpool section if it is more likely to be viewed and replied to more, it would be very much appreciated.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:01:49 pm »
1. Eleven games into the season and enough games to judge the start of the season. How do you feel your Liverpool side have done?

It's early days but I've been delighted with how we've done. To be sitting in second place in the middle of November as will be the case come the derby is a big achievement. We've played some great football and have shown the sort of resilience we've lacked for years.

2. Have there been any key players in your side this season that have gone unnoticed to media/opposition fans?

He got a fair bit of recognition after Alex Ferguson needlessly criticised him in his book but Jordan Henderson has been really good so far this year. He has an endless amount of running in him and provides a bit of bite in the middle of the park, something which is valuable for us. He does need to improve his final product, though. That's an issue.

Left-back, without a doubt. Cissokho has been starting there for us in recent matches and is a good option going forward but is almost lethargic in defensive positions. Jose Enrique suffers from footballing schizophrenia - on occasions he is incredible but all too often he is sloppy and easily targeted by the opposition.

I don't imagine we'll stay as far up the table as we currently are. Going from seventh to second is just too big an ask. However, a top four bid is a definite possibility and the likes of Spurs/Man Utd are making this all the more possible with their inconsistency.

Without doubt. Rodgers has got us playing good football and his ability in the transfer market is highly commendable. He gets the club and I hope he's our manager for a very many years.

6. Your tactics have been brought under discussion recently, are we likely to see the 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or another formation?

This answer won't be much use but you'd have to ask Brendan Rodgers! I actually like the 3-5-2 a lot and think it can be very effective when Glen Johnson is on the pitch. In my opinion 4-4-2 does little to embrace the attacking talent we have available to us so I hope we see less of it in the future.

To be perfectly honest, I can't see us not winning. I know that anything can happen but Suarez and Sturridge are absolutely incredible, Coutinho is back in the starting eleven and Steven Gerrard is in great form. With that attacking talent I fancy us against any Premier League side.

On to Everton... (be kind   )

Well, surprisingly so. Although I wasn't one of the Liverpool fans who predicted a relegation battle for Everton without Moyes in charge, I certainly didn't expect you to get into the swing of things as quickly as you have. For the first time in years, watching Everton isn't a painful experience.

9. What do you make of our manager Roberto Martinez? Do you think he will be successful with the Blues?

I've always liked Martinez. I respected him a lot for getting Wigan to keep the ball on the ground and play nice football when it would have been easier for them to lump the ball upfield all day as so many teams in their position would have done. I really think his long-term success at Everton depends on how you want to define success. I certainly don't see him getting you guys into the Champions League but there's no doubt he has the chance to establish you as a fixture in the Europa League, consistently reaching the latter stages of cup competitions.

10. Under Martinez, do you think you'll see a different, maybe more attacking, approach by Everton to the derby games?

I certainly hope so. All too often, Moyes used to set up for derby games with a 0-0 in mind. Obviously there were occasions when you beat us but those occasions were the exceptions, not the rule. All too often your tactics would involve kicking the likes of Torres, Gerrard and Suarez whilst smashing the ball into the box for Fellaini and co to stick their heads on. Martinez has a decent record against us, too, so hopefully he goes all out and we get a quality game.

I'm going to go for the most obvious answer and say Romelu Lukaku. As well as having had a brilliant season so far, the little bastard tears us to pieces every time he plays us!

I don't think Everton have a specific weak area, you're solid enough all over the pitch. The midfield will be crucial, though, and I really do fancy Gerrard and Coutinho to dominate Gareth Barry.

It's hard to call this year but I'm going for seventh, possibly sixth if Tottenham don't start scoring goals.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

I don't see us not scoring but I don't fancy our chances of keeping a clean sheet, either. I'm going to go for 1-2, maybe 1-3 if Suarez and Sturridge play at the top of their games.

Good luck  :wave
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:05:01 pm by cfcciom »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:14:51 pm »
Hello, Everton fan here and I come in peace...

I usually do a piece for our forum ( http://www.theevertonforum.co.uk/forum.php ) and news-site ( http://myevertonnews.com/ ) where I ask our upcoming opponent fans questions about themselves, about Everton and the upcoming match.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

Thanks.

Evening Blue nose.

1. We've started well, that goes without saying. Look at where we were last year and the difference is incredible. We're getting important players back from injury which is nice as Brendan can finally put his best team out together. The only caution I would add is that we've had one difficult test so far and were soundly beaten. If we can start picking up points on the road at places like Emirates and Stamford Bridge then we might well have something to shout about at the end of the season.

2. Our forwards are obviously getting a lot of attention and rightfully so as they have been our match winners. Mignolet has gone about his work very well and in my opinion if your goalkeeper isn't in the headlines that's a good thing. Henderson always impresses me and is starting to gain increasing recognition for his ability from those outside of Anfield.

3. Left back for me. I think BR tried to address it in the summer but there weren't many options available. Enrique is ok and Cissokho is taking a bit of time to settle in.

4. Top 4 would do just fine. I know first is everything and second is nowhere but after the few years we've been through with owners and managers, the Top 4 would be a welcome 'prize'.

5. Without doubt. Not afraid to change tactics/formations. He's an innovative, forward thinking manager. If a player isn't good enough, he'll ship him out. In the past we've held onto sub standard players for too long, mainly due to ridiculous contracts. Those days seem to be gone and the club looks much healthier now. Just want the stadium resolved but I digress.

6. I think we'll go with a back four, we did against Fulham although it was relatively untroubled. I think he wants Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge in the team and the only way to do that is with four at the back. Henderson wont be dropped for the derby and the others pick themselves.

7. Would probably take a draw.

8. Very well. I think Martinez was shrewd in the market and the Lukaku deal was madness on Chelsea's part. Barkley looks a great prospect. I'm in a minority but I also think Barry was a decent bit of business.

9. Good fit for you. I think a job at the top four or five clubs might have been a risk but a club like yourselves on the verge of the Europa spots is a good move. You're playing decent football and he knows the league well too. I guess his target is top 6 or 7, anything more would be very impressive. If he can pick up a cup over the next two seasons that would be a job well done, better than Moyes in his time with you anyway:)

10. Definitely a different approach with the ball on the floor and an emphasis on attack. He'll be wary though, especially with the form that our front two are in. It should be a good watch, although derbies often aren't.

11. Lukaku

12. You're a good unit without a stand out worldie. Maybe you're slightly weak at the back when put under pressure. I've only seen you a couple of times live (and a few highlights) and one of those was the Newcastle game. You were all over the place in the second half.

13. 7th

14. Head says draw, heart says Liverpool win. 2-1 Liverpool:)
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:45:47 pm »

Very well. I'm still angry about the Southampton game and to draw with 10 men Newcastle was disappointing but apart from that we've exceeded expectations.

Not that I can think of. Henderson has been playing great.

Left back. This is controversial but I feel that Gerrard in the holding midfield position is a weak link, especially against Arsenal, he was far too static for my liking.

I have high expectations but it all depends on how the teams around us do, at this point I'd be very disappointed if we missed out on top 4.

Take us where?  ;D At this moment in time, yes.

I couldn't possibly say, depends how Rodgers is feeling, I think the 3-5-2 might make another appearance against you.

Not any more confident than I usually am  ;D We definitely have the quality and form to do it but derbies are one-of-a-kind games so anything could happen, I'd be content with a draw.

Apart from a few draws at the beginning of the season, quite well.

I like him, he needs time though.

No, I think your setup will be largely similar to how it was under Moyes.

Lukaku and Baines.

On the flanks.

8th

14. Predictions?

2-1 to Liverpool

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 06:46:33 pm »

Points wise we have done well.
Performance wise there have been issues.

Toure..although the switch to 3 at the back didn't help....also Skrtel has done brilliantly.

I think the issue is midfield....we aren't compact enough shuffling back and we do need to move gerardr and put in a player to compliment lucas at this part fot he game....the counter attack game has also been a low point. Also bedding in the new left back and sakho has been problematic

I think we can improve and it will be a close call for top 4 as I see some of the others in transition improving too.

Very hard to say. Comparing him to other managers learning their trade id say he could but other managers would certainly have a better chance...Simeone and pottechino spring to mind

im sure we will play 4 at the back more against top half sides....3 at the back works to a degree but isn't really gonna work against good sides.

depends how well you press the midfield...if you don't do it well and we score first your in trouble.

impressed to be honest...Martinez has done well.

ha...once again I think Martinez has done well....not in pottechinos class mind.

I think we may see both teams playing more football than usual as maybe you lot have changed your ways lol.
could be a really good game boith for the fans and the lovers of toial football. You can never be sure about "more attacking" though as sometimes even good footballing sides can cancel each other out.

worried about lukaku naturally but more worried about barry macarthy pressing our midfield.

tough question that......id say the goalie and maybe baines

top 8 easily probably 7th
Finally...

14. Predictions?

2-2
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:47:10 pm »
Above expectations, in my opinion. Was expecting some improvement, but not as much in terms of points in contrast to the previous season. Despite the fact that we've not been at our best so far, we're right at the top :)

Lucas is one of my favorite LFC players, so I'm more than a bit biased in this opinion, but I honestly believe the media are not giving him enough credit for his performances this season, he's been very good to excellent in most of the games and deserves a place in the Brazil side at the World Cup. Henderson is another player who worked his socks off in multiple positions over the first 11 games, but I wouldn't call him as key as Lucas.

I assume that would be the left back position, it's not critical, but it could be improved. Our problem is not so much in the starting eleven as much as in having decent backup in some positions.

Hard to say, if we're up there come January, after the tough Christmas period, who knows where we could end up, if we lose most of the points against the touher opposition we could still put up a decent fight to get into the Champions League spots. Wasn't expecting a top 4 finish at the start of the season, so that would be a very decent achievement.

By there, I assume you mean towards the top of the table. Yes, no doubt about that!

I'm guessing the 3-5-2 was something we used in a few games and we'll keep it as a backup option, but I would expect us to field a 4-4-2 (a bit different than the common 4-4-2, but still a 4-4-2 :)) in most of the games this season, this derby included.

Not all that confident, to be honest, but we've done our job in the first 11 games and even if we don't win, it won't be the end of the world.

Above my expectations, what I've seen you've played very decent football and Lukaku has been a very impressive loan signing.

He wasn't one of my choices when we were looking for a manager a year or so back, but he seems like a very decent manager, I reckon he could be a good choice for you.

I would expect so, but it's his first Derby so it's hard to predict how his side is going to look or play in it.

We had a lot of trouble with Lukaku last season when we played WBA, so that's the obvious choice. If we manage to keep him quiet, our chances of winning are going to improve massively. Barkley is another player that looked very good both in the league and in the U20 Euros (or was it the U21 WC, think it was the previous) this summer, hope our midfield does it's job well and wins that battle.

Really hard to say, wouldn't want to jinx any player so he plays the best game of his career in the Derby :) Let's just say I hope that, if Distin plays, he has a replay of the FA Cup semi-final a few seasons back :)

I would guess out of the top 6, maybe fighting with Southampton for 7th or 8th spot, Soton were looking the better team so far, but I wouldn't expect them to keep it up for the whole of the season.

14. Predictions?
2-0 win for us, Coutinho to give you a lot of trouble and Suarez to get one of the goals :)

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:06:12 pm »
I've always wanted to answer one of these!

As well as I could have imagined. We're in a good position to hopefully kick into gear in the second half of the season - not since 08-09 have we given ourselves such a platform and in that season injuries to Torres staggered our progress - but I feel like we have a little more depth this time and we arguably, play better football. So yeah, great start.

Do I say Henderson? I'm not sure. Perhaps I should say that my mate has talked about Gerrard not being as good anymore - I'd say he has been just as good as ever just in different, more playmaking ways. It's also fair to say pretty much everyone has stepped up to the plate when required and the team is why we are getting the results - Suarez is an added bonus.

Left back. Enrique doesn't quite fit, Cissoko isn't really better. A bombing wingback like Baines (I love Baines) or maybe Shaw would be a huge aquisition imho.

Don't know. I like to think that with things as they are we can press on and maybe, just maybe win the title - but that's dreamtalk as of right now. Champions league would be good but it's so tight a bad run of form could see us drop out again. I'm naturally pessimistic about every game (except Fulham, cause they're shite) so just winning games keeps me happy. I want a top 3 place I think - that would do.

Yes he is. Tactically he is very flexible, he is taking the club in the right direction and we are of course getting results. Even if we weren't I'd want to keep him - albeit Potecchino(sp?) is turning my head just a bit. When talking about a long term revival it's hard to gauge exactly who fits.

4-4-2, I think almost certainly. It's more fluid with Coutinho around for one thing - it's been Rodger's preferred formation for a while. But maybe we need three centre backs to stop your tankling...

I'm never confident (Except of course, against Fulham). That said I feel a bit better going into this derby because we recovered well from the Arsenal game. Are Gerrard and Studge fit? I'm not sure. That could change my view.

Not too badly. A great young set of players in Barkley, McCarthur and Lukaku (Although Lukaku is probably not long term), good football cept against Palace. A great win against Chelsea. Decent enough.

I think so. But maybe his shortcomings will come more into effect overtime. I'm not sure if Everton are retaining the best of Moyes and adding the best of Martinez (and if so, will the Moyes effect wear off?) or if Martinez is going to keep some Everton steel because he's at a bigger club. Certainly, if he can win something with Wigan he can do it with Everton.

Undoubtedly - Martinez if I were to be mean, is a naive manager (you could say the same about Wenger maybe) suseptible to conceding silly goals. But with Lukaka, Barkley and Baines in the side, I think you have to attack - otherwise Suarez and Sturridge are fairly likely to crack you open.

Lukaku. Or 'stage four pacific rim monstery thing' as I might call him from now on. Last season he was a pain, this season he will probably continue to be a pain. Him or Barkley anyway.

I don't think I can say anywhere but at centre back - our attack is very potent and even against Arsenal when SAS were nullified they could have had a couple if crosses were better, balls bounced better etc. It's a very strong attack and Martinez is Martinez. The question is I guess how Barry and McCarthy play in response to the threat.

8th. Southampton look so good and then there are now this big 6 who long term will outgrind even Potecchinos men, and yours.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

Blergh. It won't be simple I don't think. 3-1 Liverpool, in the end. Rodgers does have a decent record against Martinez iirc, so maybe that will alter things as well.

Thanks for the Spy!
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 07:24:17 pm »

I think results wise we have had an excellent start - if you said to me in August that after 11 games we'd be 2 points off 1st place I'd have grabbed that with both hands. Performances have been good, however the midfield more often than not has been poor - as a whole - with some good individual performances. Results suggest playing 3 at the back was a good thing, however I am glad we are going to a flat back four as I believe this helps the midfield and overall gives us better balance.

I would say Kolo Toure who everyone thought would just make up the numbers in the squad but he has been excellent. The other key players this season for us aren't exactly unnoticed!!

I would say left back is definitely a weak spot and central midfield too.

My expectations is to challenge for a top 4 place. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Yes without a shadow of a doubt. He has shown an aptitude to learn from his mistakes. He has underpinned his philosophy in how he wants us to play and is not afraid to make tough decisions. All he needs is time and the right support from Henry and Co.

I would say 4-3-1-2.

Yes I am confident. But not over confident.

Surprisingly well actually. Hard to beat but better on the eye! Barry has been a good bit of business on loan. He just keeps that midfield ticking letting others do the business for you. Defence is solid but not spectacular. Lukaku is a beast. Shame he's only on loan ;) I'd say you've done well.

I've always liked Martinez. I like how he goes about things - full of class and dignity. He wants to play football the way he sees fit and is a likeable chap. Depends on what you mean by success. Personally I think he will find it hard to replace the experienced players in your team because you haven't the money to replace their ability like for like. So he will have to nurture and develop replacements which will take time. So really depends on your definition. If he can win a trophy for Wigan then he can for Everton. But I do not see Everton challenging for a CL place anytime soon really. I think a top 8 place on a consistent basis and doing well in the cups should be considered successful for you.

You'll play to win. Simple as that. Which will make for a fascinating contest because as I said Everton are hard to break down but are attempting to play football now. So it is exciting times really. But we are even better attacking and are as solid defensively.

Lukaku.

McCarthy who I believe is overrated. Plus your right flank.

8th. I believe in no particular order that Arsenal, Chelsea, Man C, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, Southampton will finish above you.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

1-2. Lukaku for you guys and Sturridge and a Kolo Toure winner for us :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:28:08 pm by Teddy Ted Ted Anfield Ed »

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »

Better than I expected. Still very early days and not getting carrier away, but for the first time in years we are actually ahead of our target. 2 points of the top after 11 games, we only lost against the other teams that make up the top 3. I sit back and enjoy the ride.

I'd say Lucas. I'll go as far and say if you take him out of the team the levell of performance will drop. He is the player that keeps things ticking over behind our attacking force. I think by now he has become the player Rafa bought him for.

Not convinced about either leftback, still, we can do alot worse.

Can 't tell, thought we would be in a dog fight al season, but we at the moment we seem to bark the loudest. Ask again in january.

Yes, yes he is.

Would say 442. Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho will start.

Pretty confident.

I think your a bit like us really, higher up than you expected and doing better than most people, including myself, thought at the start of the season.

I think you will be more entertained than with Moyes. Results wise, I reckon you won't improve much.

I don't think you have a defence to go out and really attack us, maybe Martinez sees it differently, I hope he does. Suarez without space is hard to stop, so step forward Everton and attack.

Lukaku.

Probably at the back, and we are pretty good upfront.

8th

Finally...

14. Predictions?

2-0 for Suarez.
Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 07:29:50 pm »

Really good start to the season. Three wins on the bounce has done our team the world of good and I'm confident of finishing in the top four and maybe even higher. Still think there is a lot left to come and despite some good performances, our attack hasn't clicked yet.

Mignolet and Henderson have both been very consistent, despite not having stand out games every week but they've both had their moments. It's pretty hard to get the headlines ahead of Sturridge and Suarez.

Left back and central midfield have been problematic all season. Enrique is brilliant but lacks footballing intelligence, Cissokho has been poor. Central midfield is more of finding the right balance than personnel problems.

Top four and win the FA Cup, would be nice!

Really had my doubts when he was appointed but ever since, he has really convinced me that he is the man to build the club back up. I thought he would be really rigid and stubborn with his passing philosophy but last season when it wasn't working, we switched to a more direct, counter attacking approach.

He has shown the pragmatism that all top managers need to climb the league table and he's done it whilst playing entertaining football. Very happy with him.

Most likely a 4-4-2 if everyone is fit, 3-5-2 seems to have been a short term solution whilst the likes of Johnson and Coutinho were injured. It was an experiment that brought mixed results but long term a back four will be what we play.

How our midfield and attack sets up is up for debate. Playing Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho in their best positions isn't an easy task, especially when so few teams play with two strikers up front anymore.

If I was 100% of beating Fulham at the weekend, then I'd say I was 60% confident of beating Everton. I definitely don't think we'll lose.

Much better than I expected, haven't watched many Everton games but already seems worlds apart from how Moyes was having you play.

I think he's a good manager and he'll have you playing good football. I think you'll do better in the league with him this year than previous years for definite.

Yes, I imagine it will be a lot more open and Martinez will set out to win the game. Could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on individual performances.

After West Brom did the double over us last year, not looking forward to playing against Lukaku but now we have Toure and Sakho, we're much more capable of dealing with a physical threat like the big Belgian.

Baines is a tidy player and is great from dead ball situations and with his crossing. I can see the danger coming from Baines' side or a free kick.

Midfield at the moment. Saw your game against Spurs and was surprised by how poor your midfield's passing was, that's probably just teething problems and over time it will become a cohesive unit.

But if your passing is as loose against us as it was against Spurs, we'll be able to spring counter attack after counter attack. Spurs didn't have anyone to take advantage of that but Coutinho thrives on those situations.

6th to 8th. Competition in the top 8 is ridiculous this year, another year I think you'd be an outside bet for top 4, but this year it's too strong.

14. Predictions?

2-0 or 3-1 to us.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 07:31:14 pm »

About as well as I could have hoped for, to be honest! Would have liked a draw at the Emirates, and maybe losing to Soton was harsh (though they are quite good, we just didn't really know it at the time), but overall its hard to complain! Still room for improvement though, and we have a lot of difficult matches coming up.

I think the key players (SAS, Gerrard/Lucas, etc.) have all been noticed, if only due to our good start. I think maybe Johnson and Sakho are the most unappreciated by non-Liverpool supporters though. Johnson always makes our side so much better when he plays, and Sakho has been very solid in defense and good in possession.

Our midfield, if the opposition presses us. We need another fullback because Johnson and Enrique both have injury problems, and so far their backups aren't really good enough (a bit early to judge Cissokho though).

Keep beating the times we know we can beat (that is, the bottom 12 or so teams in the table), try to do as good as possible against the top teams, and see where we end up. Would love 3rd/4th, but its as much up to the form of the teams around us as it is us. Chelsea/City/Spurs could all hit top form and keep us lower than we'd like to me, so who knows where we'll end up.

I certainly think so! I'm sure others will say more about him, but I'm really happy with how things have gone and its hard to complain.

I think we'll see the 442ish formation we played against Fulham. I like the 3 at the back, but its a bit pointless against a team playing with a lone striker.

Somewhat. I've learned over the years never to be TOO confident of anything, especially because that seems to be when we always fall apart. But we're in good form, and a win is definitely possible.

Very well. I've mostly been surprised at how quickly Martinez has you playing a nice passing style, and how solid at the back you've been. Also did great with transfers. I was a bit disappointed to see Lukaku choose you over West Brom, to be honest.

Wasn't sure of him before recently. I thought Moyes to Manchester United and Martinez to Everton would make both sides weaker. Unfortunately only half of that seems to be true. ;) Still early, and it'll be interesting to see how he does in the next few transfer windows, but it seems he'll do well.

I think so. It'll definitely be interesting to see a derby without Moyes managing Everton, thats for sure. Seems like the end of an era. I can't see Martinez abandoning all the work he's done with getting Everton to pass it around and play well just for this match.

Lukaku and Mirallas. Lukaku because in recent years, big strong forwards have always done well against us (though Toure and Sakho seem to have helped this problem), and Mirallas because he's just a class player, and I'm surprised no bigger teams were in for him this summer.

In my opinion, Everton have a solid squad, but no real "great" players anywhere (other than the 2 I named above... though I know Everton supporters will disagree with me, and thats fair enough). So it's hard to pick out a specific weakness, but at the same time, most of the squad just seems so "meh" or "potential only" to me. If we beat you, I can't see it happening just exploiting a specific weak spot, since there aren't really any.

Edit: Realized I forgot about Baines. Obviously, he's class as well.

Who knows. Its such a weird season so far. Out of the current top 8, in theory Everton and Soton should finish 7th and 8th... but Soton certainly don't look like going anywhere. I think a lot of it will be down to the form of the other teams, as I mentioned earlier. If some of the other teams in the top 8 really pick up their form, I don't think Everton will be able to match them.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

1-1 or 2-1 to us. There will be a few goals, but I can't see either side really dominating.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:14:31 pm by iamrobk »

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:32:10 pm »
dont tell him our weak point...maybe he's Martinez
YNWA

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 07:46:04 pm »

I think we've done well, better than I expected. We had some disappointing results against a 10 man Newcastle, and a home loss to Southampton, but other than that there can be no complaints. I think after the last few seasons we've had, to have a start like this feels good, but alongside that I think there's a lot of trepidation to getting ahead of ourselves.

I don't know, I think that the media has highlighted our top performers. Obviously SAS have been phenomenal for us. We've missed Enrique a lot while he's been out so you could say that's gone very unnoticed but he's an important player for us alongside Johnson. Mignolet has also put in a lot of decent performances and made some top saves.

I would say left back if Enrique is out. But other than that central midfield is our weak point. If a team comes at us and presses our midifield on the ball we struggle. Lucas and Gerrard haven't got a huge amount of mobility and can be caught, especially when we play 5 at the back and sacrifice a midfielder. I feel when we have Lucas Gerrard and Henderson in the middle helps, because of Jordan's mobility and pressing.

This is difficult because this season has been so unpredictable and I don't want to predict anything. Having said that aslong as everyone stays fit I can only see us getting stronger. I expect us to challenge for a top four spot, but after the start we've made I have high hopes that we can achieve it this season.

Definitely. I was extremely happy with his appointment at the time and I still think he will be a great manager for us. He has a clear idea of how he wants to play but can also adapt to the players he has. He's shrewd in the transfer market, and a terrific man manager. He sometimes makes tactical errors, but he has got us playing better than we have in years and he's still young with time to continue learning and instilling a winning mentality into our team.

Hmmm, I think we all saw that the 5 3 2 did not work against Arsenal, and I can see Rodgers wanting four in the middle for the bigger games, especially as he wants to bring Coutinho into things. I can see us playing a 4-3-1-2 formation in the game against Everton, with Coutinho playing ahead of a central 3, most probably made up of Hendo, Gerrard and Lucas.

I think it's hard not to go into all games confident aslong as Suarez and Sturridge are fit. These two are on fire and when you watch Liverpool these days you feel like we can score at any point, and most probably will score atleast once. We have attacking quality and defensive quality, with a very capable keeper in the sticks. The midfield is the worry but I think we have enough to control the game. Having said this, Lukaku is a worry and I think Agger might be dropped so that Sakho can come in for the battle. With the derby anything can happen though and Everton are strong side and it'll be tough.

Better than I thought. I thought you lot might drop off with a new manager for the first time in ten years but I've been surprised how well you've done. Martinez made some quality late signings, especially Barry and Lukaku who I think without you would be in the bottom half. I would say he's taking Moyes' team and strengthened it.

I really like Martinez. He comes across as a very astute, intelligent coach with all the ingredients to be a top manager. He reminds me very much of Rodgers actually, and they're two young managers I like a lot. Whether he'll be a success will depend a lot on funds because I feel like success for Everton at the minute is to remain where you are, as I'm not sure anyone could blame Martinez for not getting you into the Champions League without significant funds but I think Europe can be a realistic target.

I really haven't seen much of Everton this season other than match of the day so I'm not too sure how different your style of play has been. I can actually see you dominating possession as Mcarthy and Barry might get the better of our midfield but I think we hold the greater threat. It's going to be a very interesting game that's for sure.

Lukaka. He's a top player and the reasons for Chelsea loaning him out again I will never know as he would easily improve their team/squad. He's strong, he's quick and he can finish. Like Andy Carroll but decent.

I think Coutinho will be able to find space in behind your midfield. Also don't think your CB partnership is weak, but I think they'll find it tough against our attacking line (as most would in the PL). That's where we'll get our most joy.

I think 6th would be an extremely good season. 7th or 8th is more likely I think.

14. Predictions?

2-1 Liverpool. Think it will be a tight game and I think both teams will score, but we'll score more. Going for a Sturridge goal and a Gerrard pen won by Suarez.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:53:26 pm by NorthamptonKopite »

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 07:47:50 pm »

In short, we've been brilliant. Losing to Southampton and Arsenal isn't anything to be worried about too much as they're both good sides and if we turned up in the second half against Swansea and had beaten 10 man Newcastle we'd be a few points clear right now. I can't complain with where we are right now though, considering where we've been the last few seasons. I'm just trying to keep myself grounded and not get carried away with our start.

Not particularly. Suarez and Sturridge have rightly got a lot of the press, Coutinho hasn't really started yet which is worrying for other teams in the league. If I were to pick some though Toure has been surprisingly good for what his perceived squad status was when we signed him and Henderson has continued to improve.

Left back. Enrique is ok and Cissokho hasn't had the best start. Both are prone to errors though and can slow our play down.

To carry on our form as much as we can. We've got a difficult stretch coming up in December with Spurs, City and Chelsea away in 4 games. We could seriously come unstuck in those matches but if we can get some points from them I'd be delighted. Still, expecting a top 4 finish at the moment.

Without a doubt. He's proving to be tactically astute, learning from his mistakes and he's got us playing good football.

I'm not convinced by the 3-5-2. I think we looked disjointed playing it. We could play anything though. 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-3-3. We're flexible.

No. Never am. I hate the derby. There's so much on the game I don't tend to enjoy them, unless we're a few goals up very quickly.

I'll be honest, I've not watched much of you. Then again, I don't watch much of teams outside of Liverpool matches. I'm just not that interested.

I'm not convinced he's as good a manager as everyone makes him out to be from his time at Wigan. Yeh he won the FA Cup with them but he took a team that was comfortably achieving midtable under previous managers to relegation to the Championship. Still has a lot to prove.

I hope so. Create space for us and Coutinho and Suarez especially.

Lukaku. Tore us a new one last season and his physicality was too much for our defence.

Couldn't tell you. Though from what I've heard you've looked particularly shakey this season in defence. So, maybe there?

8th to 10th.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

Always going to back Liverpool. 2-1.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 07:47:58 pm »

Fantastically, if you said we'd be second after 11 games I'd have appreciated your optimism and then called your carer! On a serious note it's a fantastic to be in the position after 11 games and only 2 points of the top. Title challenge talk is still a little early but if we're there or thereabout after 19-20 games then you really never know.

Personally for me, it has to be Simon Mignolet. Yeah I know he has been spoke about in the papers and on this site but I really don't think we appreciate how many of his saves have been top class this season, I have a lot more faith in our keeper now than I did in Reina's latter years

Left back, no question for me. Enrique seems to be top class one minute and league 2 the next. I think Aly Cissohko is better and will eventually come good but his performances so far haven't been what I'd hoped they'd be.

I'm trying to keep myself from going over the top as I have done so often at false dawn after false dawn. I'm going to stay with what I said at the start of the season and say we will be fourth. Though injuries play a massive part of that.

No questions in my mind. Love the man and love his style.

If we see 3-5-2 I'll be watching with a pillow in front of my face! Though with the 4-3-3 or 4-1-3-2 we played at Anfield working so well against Fulham (who are admittedly awful at the moment) I hope and imagine that's what we'll see at your place.

I'm always confident untill about 2 hours before kick off personally. I'll be having numerous kittens just before and during.

Very well, only one loss this season shows that, however it's draws again for you lot at the moment due to not scoring enough. You're good on your day but that game vs Spurs was painful to watch.

I like Martinez, the Evertonians I've spoken to seem to like him as well. (some already saying they prefer him to that guy up at United) Also to win the FA cup with Wigan is no small feat. If you give him time then I'm sure he will do well for you lot.

Bloody hope so! Sometimes under Moyes it really seemed like attack vs long ball defense. Surely as a Evertonian you want to see your team come out and attack the Reds so let's hope it's a good game with a few goals and a short trip home after saying 'cheers for the 3 points!'  :P

Lukaku, just....Lukaku. When you lot signed him on Transfer Deadline Day I could hardly believe it. Great signing and if he's on one he's a nightmare to stop. Also I will personally hold my breath if Baines gets a free-kick in range.

Now I am going to contradict myself after saying that Lukaku puts the fear in me. Though the stats don't lie, you aren't scoring enough goals. It's funny because you don't really have any players who are BAD, that said I'm no Everton expert so I don't know why you aren't scoring a lot but when we have two of the Prem's top scorers up top who have scored more than some teams put together, I really do think we can outscore you if it comes to it.

A respectable, first season with new manager, 7th and maybe a good FA cup run, would love to see you lot win the FA cup if Liverpool went out as it would just be funny that Martinez did in one year what Moyes couldn't in ten!

Finally...

14. Predictions?

I predict a good game, but I really do fancy us to beat you. 3-1 Suarez to get that hat-trick he deserved last year!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 07:52:15 pm »

With my hands

John Barnes

Sky Diving

World peace

Yes, him and Kofi Annan

2, 4, 6, 8
who do we appreciate

Lillets with wings

On to Everton... (be kind  ;) ) -

Bafta material

No, Spanish-flamenco is more his thing

You'll use the grass this time

Glen Keeley

Footballing ability

Stuck behind a molar

14. Predictions?

I'm getting the word nonce.....

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:35 pm »

We've done fantastic continued the fine form of last season and significantly strengthened areas of the team

No i think everyones starting to notice the likes of henderson et al for what they bring to the team.

I cant tell you that cos you'd tell martinez.....

Honestly lb spot but we're sound

To win games win the fa cup and finish in a champions league spot.. Fuck it lets win the league

Yeah hes doing fine growing in the job i like him

Wait and see yer nosey get

Yeah its the first half of our  guarenteed six points a season

Alright but then again anythibgs better than under moyes

I hope not.... I think he'll get ya a europa place..

Nah youll play attractive but ineffective football.. Or the everton way as its called :p

Duncan ferguson

Between 1-11... Especially the keeper his heads on upside down

9th
Finally...

14. Predictions?
Yeah 7-0 lfc brad jones scores the 7th.

Thanks.

Thanks for the 3 points.
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 07:55:38 pm »

Southampton apart I think we've mastered the art of flat-track bullying. So far, so good.

Henderson has done well as had Skrtel. I also think Johnson is underrated.

If anything it's the 3 centre back formation that we played in the 2nd half at Goodison last season. Hopefully Enrique comes in for Cissokho though.

To be at least competitive for a top 4 place.

Time will tell. I'm not convinced about Rodgers but I'm certainly prepared to give him the season and see where we end up. At which point he has 1 year left on his contract.

It will be 4-4-2

I can't see us losing. Not certain we'll take all 3 points though.

You've played decent football which I expected under Martinez. I also think you did better business than any other club on deadline day.

It will be difficult to replicate David Moyes record there IMO.

Certainly at Anfield, I don't think things will change at Goodison.

Lukaku, he was a real handful every time we played West Brom last season.

I think Everton are a relatively strong side but will have trouble dealing with Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez.

5 or 6th

14. Predictions?

My heart says 3-1 to us but my head says 1-1.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 07:57:15 pm »
Hi....

Can't really moan considering our position currently. There's been games where we've probably not played great but still got the three points. Think were playing well last month or so, couple of key players back from injury have helped.... 

Probably Henderson, it's easy to say he runs around like a headless chicken but he presses well and we don't have the most mobile players behind him (Gerrard and Lucas) so he's been important in that aspect.

I'd say midfield three and maybe left full back. Cissokho is ok, takes up good positions but falls short technically and generally doesn't like to commit to tackles. Enrique blows hot and cold so if he plays I'm hoping it's the good Enrique they turns up. I think when Gerrard and Lucas are pressed high up the pitch we can struggle, but maybe we've been a bit naive in going forward and not giving them enough help in the midfield department.

To continue like we have been, we've had a few tough fixtures but were coming into an important period now. Few games that we should be looking to win as we've got a tough christmas schedule after those. I expect us to be in the fight for fourth come April time but it'll be tough

Yeah I think so. Last season was exactly what we expected, very Jekyll and Hyde, sometimes it clicking and other times not so much but you can't fault how he's done this season.

Not sure, the manager has chopped and changed it around now and again, but with the performance and result against Fulham then I'm an imagine him sticking with it because we did well (albeit against a really poor side)

I'm always relatively confident, I think any fan thinks his team can win every game deep down, that's why we go the match. I think the game against yous will be a tight one, you like to pass it round a bit more now under Martinez so I'm hoping for a good game.

Very Well, I think Lukaku has been brilliant and gives your supporting midfielders lots to work off. Your trying to play football and much like us last season it takes time but I'd say you've adapted well, I think when your pressed quite high you can revert to the long ball. So I think that might be a tactic we'll use.

Yeah, I mean I don't know how yourselves would define success but I think he's got yous playing good stuff and picking up points, so early days but it bodes well.

Not sure, nobody wants to lose and I think that kind of thinking can take over, so even though the managers want to play good attacking open football you don't wanna leave yourselves open in a derby.

Think I mentioned it earlier but Lukaku can cause a lot of problems. Obviously baines has good delivery into the box. So those two more than anything.

I wouldn't say there's a glaring weak link. I mean I'd fancy Suarez and Sturridge most times against any defence so that's not a slight on Jagielka and Distin but obviously they might have trouble with them two. I think your gonna wanna knock it about a bit more compared to Moyes so if we pressure high up the pitch I think that might be our best chance, not so much individual weaknesses but more as a collective unit.

Sixth

Finally...

14. Predictions?

2-1.....to us obviously  ;)

Thanks.
[/quote]

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
YNWA

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 08:14:37 pm »

Better than expected, although we have had a relatively easy start to the season. We haven't played many of the "big boys" yet, or many of the teams we will be around come the end of the season. When we have played them it's been a mixed bag (beat Utd, lost to Arsenal). What is good to see is that we seem to be really taking apart the lesser teams when we've struggled to do that in the past. We're also great to watch at the moment and going to the match is a pleasure.

Not really, but if anything I'd say Henderson has improved and he still seems to be rated quite badly by a lot of other fans.

Left back. Sell us Baines?

I don't think we'll stay as high up the table as we currently are as I think we lack quality in depth, but I think we're firmly in position now for a decent crack at getting back into the Champions League. Hopefully a good FA cup run as well.

It's still early days, but I think he's certainly showed enough to merit his appointment as manager. Whether he has the temperament to succeed at the highest level remains to be seen but he's certainly had a solid start.

3-5-2 didn't work at Arsenal and while I think it can do in certain games I hope we don't see it in the derby. I doubt it will be a flat 4-4-2 but I'd predict us playing 4 at the back.

No. Never am though, I absolutely hate them. Love the buildup week but the game itself makes me feel sick and there's no feeling worse than losing the derby. Very few better than winning it though.

After a slow start you seem to be performing well, I think the signings that you managed to make on a limited budget are very good and have immediately improved you.

I quite like the fella, which is quite annoying. I think he will do well yeah, but ultimately no manager will take Everton to the next level without more investment.

Probably. Moyes used to bottle it quite a lot, less so at Goodison but I think you'll have a real go. It should actually be a very entertaining game for that reason.

Lukaku bullied us last season, he's the player I'm most afraid of and obviously Baines is always a threat.

It's not a weakness becuase they're good players, but everyone but the very best defenders would find it difficult against Sturridge and Suarez just now so I'll say central defence. To be honest though you're a pretty solid outfit with no glaring weaknesses.

Top 5.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

Heart says a late Suarez winner (to make up for last season's one!). Arsehole says it's Everton away and we'll lose.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 08:31:42 pm »
So far so good but there's potential for us to get much better.

Henderson, at 23 he already has over 100 games for Liverpool under his belt. Rodgers named him the most improved player and he's the real driving force in our midfield; he presses the opposition constantly.

Our left back, Enrique is coming back from an injury and Cissoko proved to be a liability so far

Top 4

Most definitely

Same team/tactics that faced Fulham - if it goes tits up we'll revert to 3-5-2, if Suarez is too shattered after his international game (which he won't be) Then we might see 4-3-3

Positive that with SAS we can get a result against anyone in this league

Pretty good, will do even better the more the players get used to Martinez's tactics

Great guy, good manager so yes.

I wouldn't say more or less attacking, but more possession based football will mean more controlling.

Without a doubt Lukaku

I fancy Suarez and Sturridge against the 35 year old Distin

4-8
Finally...

14. Predictions?
1-2

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:33:30 pm by SlowRap »
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:45 pm »

We've exceeded expectation. I expected us to be fighting for fourth but to see us very nearly first place is a welcome surprise. I don't think 11 games is enough to judge how the season will pan out though. The BPL seems more tightly contested this year, despite lopsided score lines.

Jordan Henderson is our workhorse and probably gets little mention behind SAS.

LB and CM are the two areas I would strengthen in January.

Keep performing well at home, and make a decent effort for the top 4. I think we'll finally get there.

Very much so. But let's see what happens in January. We're still 2-3 players short of a long term CL team in my reckoning.

I think the personnel are more important than the formation. Having Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Gerrard in top form makes us very dangerous going forward. Elsewhere, Johnson and Henderson bring a lot to our side too. When we press aggressively and attack with pace, we look very threatening regardless of how many CBs we field.

No. Derby games are tough games, and we have the international break to spoil things a bit. Let's see who we have available cone derby day.

Much better than expected. I didn't expect them to be in with a shot of European football, but they're hanging in there.

I think it takes a while to appreciate his vision for the club. If you place faith in him and can bring in some technical players and some more pace to your squad, I think you'll do very well.

We shall find out. I think all teams look uncomfortable when pressed aggressively. That's simply a reminder of the fact that the majority of the players in the league aren't comfortable/gifted on the ball when under pressure. Whoever wins this battle will win the derby.

Lukaku. The man-beast still gives me nightmares after our 3-0 hiding last season against WBA.

You've struggled to create and score. I think if we press aggressively then we could expose a lack of pace in your defenders.

I think you'll look for a top 6 finish and get 7th or 8th. Man City will finish above you, and surely Spurs too. Southampton won't stay in the top 4. Whether or not you can move beyond them will be the big question. I think you need to sign well in January with perhaps 2-3 good players to be in with a shot.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

Whoever presses well and keeps their cool will win. I think we just have a bit better end product and will clinch it 2-1.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 09:31:23 pm »

Can't shake the feeling they are over-achieving, but its lovely to watch over-achieving

Skrtel has improved his form immeasurably over the last season, he's been really important to the good start this season.

Midfield (don't tell Martinez) Gerrard is getting on and the rest are honest scurriers, but the side can come unstuck against the better midfields in the division.

Finishing in an European spot would be a good start, CL phenomenal, winning out not an option really, i feel.

Still not sure, but I am naturally cautious, he does seem less inclined to spoofer statements that were a bit testing at the start last year. He has handled the media well this year. However, I still feel he hasn't been truly tested yet, a bad run of results say, or a loss in form of the team.

I suspect 4-3-3 though it will more likely look like 4-5-1. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sturridge dropped for this one, go for a midfield battle royale and let the chips fall where they may.

No, never. I also feel Everton are due this year

Pretty well, still a bit dependent on a loanee upfront, but considering the managerial change and loss of Fellaini, its been a more than positive start. Don't think you will crack CL this year though and EL may also be too competitive.

I never liked him at Wigan, but he seems to have started well. Cautious positive then.

Hah! No, it will be the usual assault and battery by both sides.

Lukaku or one of the fullbacks, Coleman or Baines.

In Everton's? Age is not on your side, I suspect that it will tell more as the season wears on. The squad is a bit shallow looking and I would say they could do with more midfield guile.

Somewhere between 5th and 7th, can't see them making CL.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

2-1 or 2-0 Everton (you are due I tell yers)
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 09:34:23 pm »
Can't have asked for much better. I was a little worried at the start of the season as though we were grinding out the wins, we weren't actually playing well for sustainable lengths of time, add to that the fact that we were never scoring in the second half of matches and I was a little worried that we'd begin to drop off and be "found out" so to speak. In fact it feels we've gone the opposite way, and putting Fulham to the sword so easily has renewed my confidence.

Henderson. The flack he gets from opposition fans is ridiculous, heck, plenty of our own supporters seemingly don't appreciate him either. I think he's been fantastic however, he does far more than work hard - he presses well, makes some beautiful passes and with just a bit more luck/confidence he'll start netting a couple too. Feels like it did with Lucas a few seasons back, and I think in a couple of seasons he'll be known as one of the best midfielders in the league.

Left back certainly. Cissokho's had a poor start (though not much game time) and Enrique, whilst solid defensively and powerful going forward, can't really cross to save his life and is just a tad too one-dimensional. Think we need a goal scoring and powerful midfielder too, a Yaya Toure type figure would absolutely thrive for us.

Continue to expand our style of play and hopefully up our possession stats a little bit. I'm hoping for a LB and a CM in January (expect the latter more) but in terms of league position I expect a top four challenge. Not getting too far ahead of myself, as long as we're fighting and in contention up to the last I'll be relatively pleased.

Yes. I've always liked Rodgers, he gets us, and I feel he's the type of manager we could really have for years if things keep going the way they are, and that's a stability we've been sorely lacking recently. He has the team playing good football, and okay he comes out with some ever-so-slightly cringey soundbites occasionally but he's a young and learning manager. Want him here for years to come.

I'd expect a 4-4-2. Rodgers has a habit of sticking with a formation until we lose a match with it, then going from there. Given how easily we dispatched Fulham I wouldn't expect a change in personnel for our match - aside from Enrique coming in for Cissokho.

Less confident this season than I would have been last season - but overall, yes. There's no doubting you're playing well, but you've had a couple of rather dull results on the bounce and due to your rather open style of play I do think we'll be able to take advantage. Can see goals on both sides, though.

Aside from against Tottenham and Palace - really well. You've been good to watch and Lukaku was a fantastic loan signing. I think, like us, most of you probably didn't expect to be doing quite as well as you are.

I'll admit I didn't want Martinez managing us, but I think he's been rather fantastic. Everton have never been that exciting to watch under Moyes, but your style of play is far more interesting season and in general he's far less of an annoying manager to hear/look at/know he exists. It makes it harder to dislike your team with him managing, annoyingly! :P

Yup. Don't think either manager is going to go and say "Play for the draw" or "Try and nick a winner". Think it'll be an open game all around with some good expansive attacking play, and goals on both sides. Hopefully more on ours!

Baines. I'm not as worried about Lukaku as I don't think he's been exceptional in the past couple of games, but I always get nervy at set-pieces and god knows there's not many better than Baines at delivering them.

Up front. If Lukaku has a bad game then you've got pretty much nothing in reserve, desperately in need of another striker (or two) I feel.

5th ahead of Tottenham and United.

Finally...

14. Predictions?
3-1 to Liverpool. God willing!

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 09:50:06 pm »
      Pretty great and we have avoided any huge slip-ups(barring Southampton though they ar a very good side). Second after 11 games is the best I could have asked for

Henderson has been pretty consistent for most part and it is only now he is beginning to be noticed

Central midfield could be an issue if we play 3 at the back(though unlikely). Cissokho can become a bit unsettled at LB

Minimum 4th

Without a doubt, most of his decisions and long term tactics have been spot on

6. Your tactics have been brought under discussion recently, are we likely to see the 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or another formation?[

4-4-2 without a doubt

Think we are the favourites especially as you have looked a bit blunt in attack in recent times

Better than I expected to be honest. Think you would take time to adapt to Martinez's tactics but 20 points from your first 11 games is a very decent return

Long way to go, but think he will be more successful than Moyes and may even win you a trophy if you persist with him

Definitely expect the game to be a lot more open

Lukaku definitely, especially as the likes of Skrtel and Agger have had difficulty in facing burly strikers

Lack of a creative force in midfield

7th

Finally...

14. Predictions?

1-3 to us

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 09:50:33 pm »
Very well. Beating the teams we should be beating. Only dissappointment(s) have been the two losses. We were thoroughly outplayed by two form teams in Arsenal and Southhampton.

Henderson has been a star player for me so far this season. Proving his use as a utility player and injects a fantastic amount of energy in to our game. He has been popping up with assists, been really tidy with his passing and is constantly looking to press. For me, the only thing lacking in his game is a few goals. This time last year he had played less than 90mins. This season he has played every single minute of the league and he deserves to be there in my opinion.

Nothing glaring in our best XI. However if i'm gonna be picky I'd say LB position needs to improve. For me Enrique/Cissokho just don't cut it. I don't think either of them have a defensive brain. We need cover for defensive midfield as well.

Hopefully a strong challenge at for a Champions League place. If we bolster our squad in January like we did last year I think we can have a real push for the top four. However think a 5th place finish is more realistic.

Yes. Enough said. Huge fan of BR. Favourite thing about him has been his adaptibility after setbacks. Liverpool have been an enjoyable team to watch since he took over.

No, with Coutinho back in the mix we will be reverting back to the preferred 4-3-1-2.

Always confident.  8)

Honestly haven't watched a lot of Everton but the results suggest you are doing all right. The fans having a go at Distin at the weekend maybe suggests a different story though. But this season is mental and you guys are only 3 points away from us.

Think he has a good mentality and will do well with you. I know you are playing much better with the ball this season thanks to his reliance on possession football. Depends what you blues gauge as success  ;D but could maybe envisage some cup success under martinez. I don't feel Everton will challenge for a European place this season.

Compared to Moyes? hahaha of course we will see a more attacking approach!

Baines.

Jagielka. As I say haven't seen a lot of Everton but Jagielka looks sloppy as fuck in posession this season. SAS could run him ragged.

7th or 8th. Can't see a European finish.

Finally...

14. Predictions?
Huge game as always but we can potential go top of the table and you can go level on points with us...
3-1 to Liverpool.
Our attack will prove to be too good.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:53:27 pm by N0rnIr0nRed »
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 09:53:15 pm »

We’ve done really well. Obviously its early days but we’re showing signs of becoming a really top side. If someone would have said at the start of the season we'd be on 23 points after 11 games i'd have snapped their hand off. We've given ourselves every chance to have a good season with that start. 

Jordan Henderson. Recently, mainly because of his England call up, he’s been given the recognition he deserves but in my opinion he’s been superb now since the start of the season and even at the back end of last season. His work rate and pressing has been superb. I wasn’t surprised to see him get the call up and I’m sure that he’ll get selected to go to Brazil too. I think he's one of the most underrated players in the league but I am confident that in 18 months he'll have everyone eating their words.

CM has been the main issue this season. The game against Arsenal last week highlighted a big problem when it comes to playing against a top team who can pass the ball well and exploit our midfield. LB is also an area we need to improve on.

I think we have every chance of getting in the top 4. Our run into the new year isn’t ideal however if we can come out of that in and around the top 4, we can then strengthen in the areas I said above and make a push to solidify top 4. Anything higher than that would be amazing considering where we have finished for the past 3-4 years but its not unrealistic considering the transitions that other clubs are going through.

Absolutely. I wouldn’t swap him for anyone. He talks a good game but I think that anyone who watches us regularly can see what he is trying to do here. Im excited about the future that’s for sure.

I would think you will see us play a 4-4-2 like we played at Fulham. We can get the best out of Suarez, Sturridge & Coutinho this way whilst also keeping it tight at the back.

I’m never confident about the derby if im honest. Most of the time I stand there wanting to throw up in front of the fella in front of me! It’s kind of a big deal.

You’ve surprised me if I’m honest. I didn’t think you’d have as good of a start as you have. Lukaku was a great signing (albeit a temporary one) and he offers you something completely different up front and is a handful for any defence in the league. You’ve played some decent stuff along the way too.

I do yes. I think you can see already the style of play that he’ll get you playing is much better to watch than you ever had under Moyes. I guess it all depends on what you class a ‘success’. I think he can get you to a cup final or even win a trophy in time but I’d be gobsmacked if with the resources you have, he can get you any higher than 7th. 

It’s hard to tell. I think certainly for the home game you will set up to set the tempo and come at us. He’ll know that you’ll have to be careful though as we are one of the best counter attacking sides in the league so I think there will be some cautiousness too.

Lukaku. He’s a monster and a real handful. Im sure that Agger and Skrtel aren’t looking forward to playing against him.

Distin. Watch him have a worldie performance now I’ve said that but I think that SAS can really get at him and force an error.

As I said earlier, I think that any higher than 7th and you really will have over achieved this season based on your budget

Finally...

14. Predictions?
I think we’ll be too strong for you and we’ll run out 2-1 winners.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 10:18:31 pm »

Great so far. Exceeded what I thought at the start of the season, and with some magnificent individuals stepping up in a good solid team, I think we can keep it up. I think Rodgers has got the whole squad feeling more confident in themselves, and got the players, no matter which 11, combining very well. The two losses so far have come in games that we can't be too unhappy about (No matter what you read in here). A good Arsenal side away from home, and a resilient and so far impressive Southampton team that came and knew exactly what their game plan was. Putting it in context and seeing other teams results makes me very happy with the results so far.

Although many seem to miss it, I feel Johnson and even Enrique to a point. When these two play, I think we offer a lot more in attack, and seem to be better in defence. Johnson is fantastic attacking from right back as he isn't just straight lines like many fullbacks in the league. He can vary his game and knows when to pass it. Enrique on the other side connects very well with a lot of players in the team, and although he has his flaws, he fits our playing style well.

The centre of midfield can be a bit vulnerable at times. I always think Gerrard should be played further up the pitch with less defence responsibility. When we dominate though, Lucas and Gerrard are brilliant. When we lose, we usually pick on the negatives of every player, and it is rare that a player will escape from the criticism. That seems to be the norm in most teams now though.

Maintain good performances, add a player or two in the winter window, and try and get that top 4 finish.

Yes. He is growing into his job, he has a great way with words, and seems to be improving and learning every season. He is starting to make the team and the club his own now, to get rid of him after a few bad games would be foolish. Still young and learnt his trade under some good managers. Promising for us.

I think we will go for 3-5-2. 1 defender to stick with Lukaku, and the other two to tidy up behind. The only reason we may go for 442 is so we can get Coutinho and Henderson both playing, but I think Henderson may sit this one out for the first 60.

I think we should be confident, as we have played very well so far this season. We just need to make sure Everton don't get on top of us early.

Admittedly I haven't seen as much of Everton this season. Martinez could go either way, but so far so good. Most of my Everton supporting mates seem to be happy and Lukaku has been a good addition for the team. They just can't rely on him for all the goals!

It could go either way. He may make the team play some good football and get you into the Europa League/put in some good cup performances. I don't think he could challenge for the top 4 though unless a lot of money was put in. Interesting that he has gone for loans and only bought players he knows from Wigan.

I think Martinez may take a risk in this game, as it is his first derby he will be wanting to go out and impress and please the fans, so he will certainly get the players to go for it, pressing and attacking in numbers. It will be down to the Liverpool players to punish them if they do that.

Barkley, if he plays, will be really up for it, and probably cause a few problems. Then of course the obvious of Lukaku, which ever defender has him to handle will have to be on the very top of their game.

I think Everton could be got at down the right, Coleman is decent but we have a lot of players that tend to play mainly on the left of our attack. Enrique, Coutinho and Suarez all coming over could cause problems, Jagielka and Coleman will need the right winger and one of Mccarthy and Barry to help out plenty during the game.

Between 6th and 8th. It would be a challenge to break into the top 5.

Finally...

14. Predictions?
Another fantastic derby game.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:13 pm »

Excellently, above expectations. Good, but ultimately nervy start against stoke led into 2/3 tight games. Since Suarez's return, we've been very good. Great position after 11 games.

Not for me. Along those line Henderson was, but last few games & England call up have seen him get recognition. I'm on lines of thinking he's good, most often - slightly better than that, but to become a top drawer player, which I think he's got in him, he needs to develop still. Good that he can stay out of limelight and develop imo.

Johnson, gets too much stick re his defensive side.

Other than that, anyone who's had the praise, deserves it.

Set pieces as a whole still, though we're looking increasingly threating from our offensive ones.

Midfield, when dis-organised, can be got at.

To seriously compete for the top 4.

Elaborating, the league is fucking tight. The mancs, for all the fun I've had winding Utd fans up over David Moyes, won't go from title winners to 5th IMO. The last result against Arsenal will spur them on I think, but, they'll continue to drop points. Personally, I think it'll end up between them, us & spurs for 4th. City & Arsenal pull away, Chelsea either with them, or it's just gonna be some absolutely crazy 8 teams can win it on the final day situation.

With Southampton smashing someone 8-0 to take the crown.

Yes

Depends on who comes back fit, and what Rogers thinks.

All satisfactorily fit? for me, Suarez/sturridge/coutinho/gerrard/agger/johnson/lucas are our best players. So get them in and fill in the gaps.

On a side note, it's a while since I've(we've?) been able to drop seven names out of that quality.

Nope. But I am of avoiding defeat. Which, I wouldn't take ahead of the game. I think we can win, but equally, so can you. Lukaku scares the shit out of me frankly. Plus, I like Martinez & think he'll improve you.

Baines is excellent, and is good enough to give most problems (Johnson will have to prove me right :) )

moving on..

For a transitional period of management, gotta be down as pretty good, if not better (not sure what Blue's fans expectations were really)

Lukaku was a fantastic bit of business.

From what I've seen, Martinez has already had a huge impact, games are more controlled & patient. You pass & move better.

And again, Lukaku is a beast.

What do you define as success? Top 4 (maybe 1/2) is increasingly competitive, 9/10 down, not TOO much quality. Personally, with City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham & Liverpool as teams to compete with for the top 6, I'd think he'd done very well if he/you finished top 6.

Wouldn't write off an FA cup run.

Drogba.

Haven't seen enough to comment.

Jagielka is excellent, always seem to remember him having good games against a good Torres. 

7th.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

4 goals or more.

Thanks.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:18 pm »
not for nothing but shouldn't this be in the General Sport thread?...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 10:37:14 pm »
We seem to have eliminated the issue of not beating the sides we are 'expected' to beat in the main. There are still some inherent weaknesses but progress is being made and I am delighted to be second in the table at this stage.

Henderson is a player that seems to be 'growing into the shirt' and now looks like a proper player though he still has ineffective performances on occasion.

The centre midfield has already been shown up against Arsenal and while it will do the job against the weaker sides, it will be in trouble during tougher games.

I'm a miserable sod so I'd better tell you my hopes instead of my expectations! I hope we can sustain this form, put away the weaker sides in the league and be playing Champions League football in the 2014/15 season.

Yes. He is proving to be a good manager with lots of potential.

While we like to have 2 strikers, I don't think playing 2 in centre midfield against your lot would be the best idea.

I believe we will nick a result and we have a great record at Goodison in recent years but I am never 'confident' of a win over you lot!

I've not watched you much at all to be honest but the results appear to be very good.

He has every chance as I think he is a talented young manager but a lack of funds will hamper him.

Are you saying the Moyes-iah was negative? ;) Yes, Wigan were not afraid to attack and with better players at Everton and the backing of the crowd, I expect Everton to be more attacking.

Lukaku! He is a beast and just the kind of striker that troubles us. Add in quality crossing from Baines and there is a problem.

Your centre defence could be in for a torrid time.

Genuinely no idea; somewhere in the top 8 for sure but I'm not sure how far your team can go.

Finally...

14. Predictions?
Controvesy; probably caused by Suarez  ;D and a nailbiting 2-1 win for the reds.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 11:44:20 pm »

Pretty good. We've won the games we dominated, and only lost to two good teams in Arsenal and Southampton. Before the season I hoped for a top 4 fight, but realistically put us at 5th. So far we're looking good for a top 4 fight, but we have a few tricky games in December, and there's also the derby that can tip either way, really.

Maybe not the media, but I think many opposition fans underestimates Glen Johnson. He's good defensively, and very good at the front. It's like having an extra attacking player that the opposition need to be aware of, and gives us another dimension to our attack.

Also, Kolo Toure is the dogs bollocks.

I'd say left back is our weakest position quality wise. We also seem to struggle in the middle when facing teams with high quality energetic midfielders that press. Both Lucas and Gerrard are lacking a bit of quickness.

I'll expect us to take advantage of our good start and fight to stay in the top 4 and get back in the CL next season.

Definitely, yes. He showed last season that he can make us play attractive attacking football, make mid game tactical changes to give us an advantage, change the system to stop specific oppositions threats and he's not afraid to use younger players as long as they're of the necessary quality. This season he's shown that he can be cynical and play for the results, that he can be ruthless in team selections and change the system to make us of the squad and play the best players at his disposal. I think he has all the tools needed to be a top, top manager.

Personally I'd like to see the 4-4-2 with our current fullbacks, and I think that's what Brendan will have in mind for the derby. Probably the same line up too, if no one gets injured in the international break, or Enrique in for Cissokho. The 3-5-2 demands very high quality wingbacks with very high work rates, and I think at least our left side is not of the necessary quality.

I'm confident we'll put in a good shift and take our chances, but the derby is the derby. It can be anything from 3-0 to 0-3, but I'm positively optimistic and predict a 2-1 win for us. :)

I have only seen four of your games (Chelsea, City, Spurs, Palace), in two I've been impressed, in the other two not so much. I am, however, impressed that you're on par point wise to Man Utd and Spurs after facing Chelsea, City and Spurs.

Oh, and getting Moyes to pay £27 million for Fellaini, that got to be one of the master strokes of the summer. :)

I remember when we were looking for a new manager a year and a half ago, it was rumored that we were in for Rodgers and Martinez and someone posted pictures of Martinez having a chat with John Henry. At that time I hoped we'd go for Rodgers, and now I'm glad we did. Not that I don't like Martinez, but I think Rogders suited us a lot more, in the way that he works and the way he approaches the game. In the same way, I think Martinez was the right choice for you this summer. He's able to make the best of the squad he has, and he can do what Moyes did for you for many years, to create a team and make them play footy without a massive pile of money.

Possibly, but I'm not sure that's the best way for you to get something from the game. Honestly, I think you're best chance is sitting deep, hitting us on the counter and chip it in to Lukaku, either from central runners or early long ball and hope we don't outscore you on the other side. As I've mentioned we do lack a bit of pace in the middle and also, our fullbacks tend to go very far up simultaneously.

Lukaku, or Baines if we give away too many free kicks from less than 25 yards or give him too much space far up the pitch to make a pass/cross/goal attempt.

Distin isn't the quickes of defenders, if he starts I'd say central half. If not, I'd probably say left flank, however you do have a lot of quality in your side. I'm a fan of Mirallas, and Barkley has been pretty good so far.

7th, just behind Spurs, but I wouldn't actually mind you ahead of them and Man Utd as long as we're ahead of you, their fans would deserve that.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

2-1 us.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 12:24:34 am »

Very well, as good as I'd hoped and better than I thought. The performances are now matching the results as well

Mignolet doesn't get enough mentions. When you compare his stats to Reina's from last season there is a massive improvement there. Henderson improving too

Left back and central midfield

A good January window that will help us kick on and make top 4. Maybe more if we get lucky

Definitely, he's still learning how to be a manager at a big club but is doing it fast

Who knows? I think it's good that we can switch between different systems. Think we'll have 4 at the back for this one though

Reasonably, but would take a draw. Martinez an unknown quantity in this game. Was always more confident when Moyes was there as I didn't believe he could handle the pressure of this game

Very well, you've played some great stuff

Hard to dislike, similar to Rodgers I think in style. I think he could be successful, yes

I think it will be similar as the nature of the fixture dictates that, but there will be a more measured tactical approach by Everton I would imagine

Lukaku

Both centre backs, especially Distin

6th

Finally...

14. Predictions?

Have to go for a reds win so 3-2 to us :)

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 12:42:35 am »

When Stoke got that penalty, the first game of the season, in the dying minutes when we were 1-0 up, I thought "oh, it's going to be one of those seasons again". When Mignolet saved it, it was like an omen. No, it won't really be one of those seasons. As far as results go we've done very well. We're still very much in the running for top 4 and I think we can play even better.

Sakho has been brilliant but I feel he hasn't received much attention at all, which is very good. Mignolet has gone a bit under the radar as well. An upgrdae to Reina for sure, even though Reina was a favorite.

If Brendan has all players available that would probably be left back (or left wing back). Jose Enrique's brain lets him down too often and Cissokho hasn't proven to be an upgrade on him.

The expectation is to keep up the fight for top 4. There might be a dip of points in December where we have some tough games (Manchester City and Chelsea away), but we will most likely have a good run in, f not only for the fact that Brendan and the fitness team works to peak the physical ability later in the season and keep that through April and May.

Without a single doubt. He makes mistakes as every other manager but he is a good match for Liverpool. He is a great tactician who seems to get the best out of most players, both on a personal level and a tactical level. While he is not a charismatic manager, he seems to say all the right things in press conferences and interviews, and he doesn't draw unnecessary attention to players or the team. Brendan and the scouting team has managed to bring in some quality players who fit the team, even when Champions League was not there, in the likes of Sturridge, Coutinho, and Sakho.

Other people with more insight will give you a better answer to that. What I can tell you is that Brendan has done a good job to get the best out of Suarez and Sturridge being on the field at the same time, and that 3-5-2 was not his preferred formation but that it was what would be the best choice for the players available at the time. As long as they are both fit, we're likely to see a formation with two strikers. Weather that will be with 3 or 2 center backs probably depends on the opposition, which I unfortunately know too little of the make an educated guess on.

Not at all, but I'm confident that we will have an entertaining match which hopefully will not be decided by the ref.

Judging from the league position, very well. I've only seen one or two games so I can't go in to depth too much but I always thought well of Martinez as a manager and he seems to be doing a very good job.

I believe so. He's showed at Wigan that he can do very much with very little. The Barry signing was perfect for your team to bring in some experience, physique, and calmness in the midfield. The sale of Fellaini was another stroke of genius. To get more money than the initial sale price must have been the deal of the summer. Also he's shite.

Difficult to say, but there is some truth to the cliché that the Merseyside derby's are taken out of context in regards to league standings and form. Whichever team turns up for the day can win it. As many others will agree with I was never a big fan of Moyes, so loosing him can only be a good thing.

Hopefully none but Lukaku will of course be a worry. We've never done too good against physically strong attackers recently if the delivery to them can't be shut down. If he can get good chances from the wings we should worry. I also worry that Barlkley will have a good game. He looks some player, and one who's just waiting for that big breakthrough. Future England starter if he can keep fit and improving.

I suppose the starting XI looks quite decent but if I'd have to go for one it would be Distin. He's not the fastest guy in the league and if Sturridge, Coutinho, and Suarez is given space he can be in trouble.

Depends a lot on the other teams. If Tottenham keeps up their goal scoring record, and Manchester United has a few more dips, you could have a chance for a EL place. But then you'd have to get points at a lot of places, keep up the current form and avoid injuries to key players. Realistically I think you'll finish 7th or 8th.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

Yikes. I think it depends a bit on Suarez. He will travel half across the world for the games against Jordan. If he's fit I can see us win it, if he's tired and jet lagged I'd put my money on a draw with goals.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 12:54:38 am »

Very impressed with our start, we're getting points on the board and putting in some fine displays as well.

As stated by a few others, Henderson has really impressed me for a while. Maybe not the best player to watch, but he does a lot of work that doesn't get included in the highlight clips they show on MOTD and what have you.

For me, it's strength and pace in midfield we're lacking the most for a side that relies on pressing.

Top 4 is the goal, and if we can strengthen in January, I don't see any reason why we can't achieve that.

Yes, I think so. He seems a perfect fit for the club.

I think we look our best when playing four at the back, so that with whatever formation Rodgers sees fit further up the field is what I'd guess.

Hard to say, as these games live their own lives. Less confident than I was before the Fulham game.

I expected you to struggle before the season started, but I've been impressed with what I've seen, which admittingly isn't a whole lot.

I think he's quite likeable, has his teams playing some nice stuff. If he gets backing and time, I think he'll do a good job with you.

I don't know, but if he does it should make for some entertaining derbys.

Lukaku. Can also see Mirallas giving either one of our left backs a good runaround, if he's played there.

Not sure, as I think you are generally well balanced. However, I fancy our attack against your defence.

I'll hazard a guess at 7th.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

1-3, Lukaku for you, Gerrard and Suarez x2 for us.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 12:54:54 am »

Rodgers has started to finally build a squad, we've saw it from his first season that he's made mistakes however the important thing that's noticeable this season is he's learnt from them, he's bought well in the transfer windows in the Sturridge and Coutinho deals, Sakho has quickly become one of my favourite players, his brashness in the tackle and his sheer dominance on the pitch for a 23 year old lad is outstanding.
With those 3 players alone, we've become a unit, our midfield still lacks that cutting edge, guile and compactness but it's something that I'm hoping we can fix in January, Suarez has also helped us a lot with his unreal form since his return but personally, I think we've over-performed so far. We've got a good squad, I'm incredibly happy with how we're doing at the minute, but it's going to be a hard hitting fail if we don't manage to sort that midfield out.

As per every season, I'd say Lucas has really been unnoticed by a lot, the lad does such a great job for us in the middle and he's somewhat of an unsung hero outside of Liverpool fans, barely gets noticed yet always does a fantastic job. Other than him, i'd say Henderson. When he plays in that deeper role and he's got a job to just hassle the opposition and give Lucas an extra pair of legs, he's fantastic, just needs to get confidence in himself when going forward.

Definately the midfield, but don't tell Martinez that! ;D
We're strong at the back, Sakho, Toure, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel and Enrique all look solid so far, Cissohko has been terrible for me, injury or not, the lad's a liability when he's on the pitch.
Upfront, the fact Suarez has scored more goals that Spurs in only 5 games tells it's own tale and Sturridge and Coutinho are the equivalent of walking into your bedroom and finding Keeley Hazell and Jessica Alba gagging for a bit of loving from you after they've let you sit and watch them in a hardcore lesbian porno for an hour. They're unreal.

Personally, if we buy a decent midfielder or two in January and we're still there or there abouts at the top then i'm hoping for a title push, but my head is telling me it won't happen, as much as I have blind faith. We need to finish in the top 4.

I think so yes. He's a young manager with a vision in mind, he's got the ability to make mistakes like everyone but as I touched upon in an earlier question, he's learning from them, he's changing his system to suit the players we have and he's altering his overall style of football to suit the players, something which bodes well for the future.

In the Derby, it doesn't matter, tactics and form go out the window, personally think we'll need Toure to start with Sakho and Agger just to try and keep Lukaku quiet as well as keeping that ability to play out from the back, Johnson and Enrique will hopefully provide the width however Coleman and Baines are doing well this season so it won't be easy. We go 3-5-2 and Johnson and Enrique push to far forward then you'll have a lot of joy down the flanks.

I am yet at the same time I'm not, never pre-judge the Derby, there's always a suprise.

Getting rid of Gollum has done you wonders. The entire club needed that change at a management level just to revitalise your lot and Martinez has done extremely well so far. He's bought well and he's got you playing an attractive style of football.

Given time, yes, he'll definately push you further than Moyes did IMO, wouldn't be suprised to see you challenging for the top 4 in a few years if he carries on buying well and if you manage to keep/replace Lukaku.

It's difficult to judge, he helps get you a win and it'll be a major scalp for him and we've been beaten by his attack minded Wigan side in the past but it's the Derby, as I said earlier, tactics and form go out the window.

Lukaku, we never deal with physical strikers at all well however we've never had the likes of Toure or Sakho, who are both strong lads, at the back. Last time we had someone like that was Sami (fucking hell I miss him still,) yet he wasn't the fastest around so the more physical and faster strikers would still sometimes have a field day against our backline.

Being honest, I've not seen much of your lot this season however from what I have seen, your attacking options seem to let the rest of the team down. Your defence and midfield are settled and work as a unit yet your strikers sometimes seem to be on a completely different wavelength and if not for Lukaku, you'd be a lot further down the league.

Anywhere between 5th-8th I reckon, however i think it'll be closer to the former.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

It'll rain sometime before Christmas.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 02:16:31 am »
They've done well. A relatively easy draw and a pedestrian performance against Arsenal but we've won the games we should and baring the first couple, we've won them with style.

2. Have there been any key players in your side this season that have gone unnoticed to media/opposition fans?Johnson, he's the key to our build up play and crucial for us if we want to dominate posession. We've looked poor without him.

With everyone now fit, I wouldn't say there's a weak individual but there's weaknesses in our play. The mobility of Gerrard,  Enrique's build up play down the left, Henderson's finishing are all things that can hurt us. Question marks about our ability to work through a press also stands out.

They were to compete for top 4, they've shifted to make top 4.

Absolutely this season or the next, I think it will happen.

3-5-2 did the job with the injuries we had, 4-4-2 is much preferable and I think the way forward until we can buy a goal scoring midfielder. After that Rodgers has suggested we'll switch to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 but for now we don't have the squad to play that.

Yes, I think for the first time in awhile we matchup well and barring international injuries we field a full side. Defensively we have a strong right hand side to combat your left and the quick mobile strikers to test you CB's. More than anything I think the intesity will be a bit of a shock for Martinez and the new players which might catch them out in their first derby encounter.

Superbly. Playing some really attrative football and definately look a team in the mix for European football.

Excellent manager. With the budget I think Moyes achieved about as much as possible in terms of the league but I think Martinez will do similar and also win a trophy our two along the way. Certainly I like the football he plays much more then his predecessor and am particularly impressed with how quickly he's adapted the squad,  Coleman and Baines at times look world beaters. Personally I think you've upgraded with Martinez and will have some exciting football ahead.

I think it'll be a very different game. Cahill and Felliani were the types that stood up with their physical approach and you've lost that. It'll be a lot less scrappy now but often scrappy competitiveness payed dividends in these derbies. But you're a much better ball playing team now with some excellent wingplay and will be much more attacking in this area. I can see you having more posession but I'm confident we can keep Baines/Pienaar quite on the left, i'm less confident about Coleman and Miralas on the right though. 

Coleman. With Coutinho tucking in we tend to concede a lot of space on our left side and Coleman overlapping Miralas will eat that up. Lukaku bullied our CB's last season at Westbrom too

I've got question marks about your midfield pressure. You've got intelligent players good at maintaining posession but the skill and pace of SAS will cause headaches if you don't get pressure on Gerrard.  I think that's what Rodgers will look for, you might control posession but a long raking pass from Gerrard in behind Coleman/Baines is going to be a massive threat. If Sturridge and Suarez can get your CB's isolated I think they'll score.

6th, I don't think you have the depth to finish higher.
Finally...

14. Predictions?
3-1 Liverpool
I think you'll struggle to contain Suarez

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 03:01:14 am »

We have done great points-wise without always playing either at our best or the most attractive football that we're capable of playing. So, I feel LFC have done well, and I am optimistic about the future, especially if we stay healthy and out of disciplinary trouble.

I am not in the U.K. so I don't really know what the U.K. media have been focusing on. Indirectly (via twitter, etc) I've noticed a bit of over-emphasis on so-called SAS. Perhaps Henderson has been a bit under-appreciated.

Our fullbacks/wingbacks, perhaps. Minority-view here, but I don't think the much-discussed 'midfield problems' actually exist.

A continuation of current trend, i.e. about 2 pts per game over the season, maybe slightly more. Convincing wins vs the clubs we're "supposed" to beat home and away and maybe the odd victory at home and draw away vs the 'big clubs' (whoever they may be this season, to be honest).

I think so. I am not 100% on board with his "fairness" approach and not 'rotating' players but he seems to be learning from his mistakes and he's done a wonderful job getting e.g. Henderson to perform better, to become a wiser footballer tactically.

Vs EFC I reckon we'll feature the 442 of sorts you saw vs Fulham, uneven or unbalanced. Very LFC-glory-days like, that.

Never. I am a nervous wreck against lower-division opposition, let alone the derby. I'll be ok with a draw and a good performance. Happier with a victory, regardless of performance. Really upset with a loss and a good performance. And probably suicidal with a loss and a poor performance. :-)

Better than your pre-season would have indicated. I think adding Barry, McCarthy and Lukaku has helped you out quite a bit. You're playing better football this season, at least as far as my lying eyes tell me.

I think so. I think he's a thinking man's football manager, with a pragmatic streak.

Not necessarily. Perhaps a more 'controlled' approach, not necessarily more attacking as such.

Pienaar seems to be in very good form. Delofeu seems also to be finding his feet. And, of course, LUKAKU.

I don't know, maybe Osman. I still think he's a good player, though.

6th to 10th. Maybe higher, definitely NOT lower.

Finally...

14. Predictions?

1-2, maybe?

Ludi Circenses!