Author Topic: Olympics 2020 Tokyo  (Read 105213 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2020 Olympics (Tokyo) July 23 - August 8
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2021, 02:44:25 pm »
Swimming and Athletics mainly I watch.

I do enjoy the randomness of arrow shooting for some reason.
 ;D

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 2020 Olympics (Tokyo) July 23 - August 8
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2021, 02:58:50 pm »
Athletics is always great and should be this year as well, the women's 100m is particularly strong and that could be a great final. Usually watch the swimming and cycling as well. And also whichever random sport that looks to be exciting.

Pretty much the same but we'll also watch rowing, hockey, gymnastics, shooting, judo, boxing and any others that Team GB are likely to get medals in.

When it was in Beijing I took 2wks off work just to be able to binge watch everything from about 6am every day. 

All my clients would ask "are you going anywhere nice" and when I answered I'm watching the Olympics they all though I was going to China 😂😂

I'm one of those crazies who has got up/stayed up to watch a potential GB medal attempt which in my youth would usually be one per games so it's quite nice that we do better these days.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Olympics 2020: Tokyo to host games
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2021, 03:16:17 pm »
Was thinking of visiting Japan for the first time to watch the Olympics so its a shame. It will be crap without fans but still better than not as it is without doubt the best sporting event.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2021, 03:23:17 pm »
I love watching kayak/canoe, rowing during this.

Two things that I can see having an impact on performance/medal counts:

1) COVID obviously. If the favourite in an event tests positive then that is going to alter things

2) Heat. Tokyo will be hot and humid in the summer. Thus, athletes who have been training in hot and humid locations will have an advantage compared to those with the ability to acclimatize themselves

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2021, 05:13:01 pm »
Pretty much the same but we'll also watch rowing, hockey, gymnastics, shooting, judo, boxing and any others that Team GB are likely to get medals in.

When it was in Beijing I took 2wks off work just to be able to binge watch everything from about 6am every day. 

All my clients would ask "are you going anywhere nice" and when I answered I'm watching the Olympics they all though I was going to China 😂😂

I'm one of those crazies who has got up/stayed up to watch a potential GB medal attempt which in my youth would usually be one per games so it's quite nice that we do better these days.

ha I'm exactly the same.

Yeah, I'll watch the gymnastics as well, probably the diving and the archery (given the medals are on the first 'proper' day) and the latter stages of the football and volleyball.

Like rafa says, we're all going to be experts for two weeks on sports we watch every four years :D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2021, 05:20:02 pm »
Japan and the local community wanted to cancel, due to the current situation.  The IOC threatend them with legal action and said they would be liable for billions.  The IOC are an autocratic organisation that couldn't care less about athletes, or the cities and communities where the games are held.  So, I'll be giving it a big fuck off from now on!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:52:18 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2021, 05:21:30 pm »
ha I'm exactly the same.

Yeah, I'll watch the gymnastics as well, probably the diving and the archery (given the medals are on the first 'proper' day) and the latter stages of the football and volleyball.

Like rafa says, we're all going to be experts for two weeks on sports we watch every four years :D

But that's the joy of the Olympics, you never get to see those sports on TV normally which is why I'm not that bothered about watching the golf, football or tennis.

It's going to great again as it'll be on from early morning pretty much all day.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2021, 05:33:37 pm »
But that's the joy of the Olympics, you never get to see those sports on TV normally which is why I'm not that bothered about watching the golf, football or tennis.

It's going to great again as it'll be on from early morning pretty much all day.

Oh I agree 100%. Although I'll probably watch the latter stages of the football ;)

Starts on Wednesday as well, so only a few days to go!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2021, 05:38:05 pm »
Looking forward to this.

Bides us over until proper football starts.

Athletics, Swimming, Rowing, Gymnastics, Boxing, Indoor Cycling and Equestrian tend to be the events i watch the most.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2021, 06:32:53 pm »
Oh I agree 100%. Although I'll probably watch the latter stages of the football ;)

Starts on Wednesday as well, so only a few days to go!

In true Monica from Friends style..... I know!!!!!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2021, 07:48:22 pm »

I haven’t taken off any time to watch it but I have always wangled a way to work from home. This time it will be tougher but I will still work out a way to ensure I work from home on certain days.

The thing about the live coverage is that it’s not just the sports but they have local stories, interviews, reports of general stuff taking place around the events and stadium etc. It’s all part of the experience and makes it feel even bigger than it is. Unfortunately that’s something that will be vastly reduced this year.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2021, 08:03:33 pm »
What an epic shit show this is going to be. No spectators whatsoever with the athletes essentially imprisoned and not even being allowed to interact with each other. Top that off with Japan having a very, very low percent of its population vaccinated and it's just an overall disaster. I never realized they were such anti-vaccers to be honest.

If I was an athlete I'd give this a hard pass. If ever there was to be an asterisk placed next to your name it'd be in this farce of an Olympics. It should have never gone on.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2021, 08:18:26 pm »
Top that off with Japan having a very, very low percent of its population vaccinated and it's just an overall disaster. I never realized they were such anti-vaccers to be honest.

Their is some vaccine hesistancy, but their slow vaccination rate is mostly down to having to import all their vaccines, a bungled rollout including the wrong needles and requesting late domestic trials in addition to multinational trials. Also there is  a shortage of personnel (only doctors, nurses and more recently dentists may administer them)

Athletes are in a tough position. Their careers are short, but people moaning about top athletes in sports like tennis declining to attend are missing the point. Yes, they travel around the world, but at those tournaments they don't have issues like the Olympic Village
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:20:55 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2021, 08:27:13 pm »
I haven’t taken off any time to watch it but I have always wangled a way to work from home. This time it will be tougher but I will still work out a way to ensure I work from home on certain days.

The thing about the live coverage is that it’s not just the sports but they have local stories, interviews, reports of general stuff taking place around the events and stadium etc. It’s all part of the experience and makes it feel even bigger than it is. Unfortunately that’s something that will be vastly reduced this year.

It won't be the same but it'll be unique in its own way and I'm sure there'll still be plenty of drama and history making on the way.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2021, 08:53:38 pm »
It won't be the same but it'll be unique in its own way and I'm sure there'll still be plenty of drama and history making on the way.

In the sports absolutely there will be. But around the stadium in the live coverage there are things that the TV crews report on such as with the spectators or at the sites themselves. Not something we will get this time unfortunately.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2021, 08:57:47 pm »
Carsten Warholm couple of weeks ago broke the longest standing world record in Athletics. He's the 400m Hurdler who's 2x World Champion. He's dominated the field for the past 3 years.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2021, 09:06:22 pm »
In the sports absolutely there will be. But around the stadium in the live coverage there are things that the TV crews report on such as with the spectators or at the sites themselves. Not something we will get this time unfortunately.

Are there even going to be film crews there?  It wouldn't surprise me if they don't all stay at home and just use the IOC footage with commentary/discussion seeing as there's no crowds for the atmosphere.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2021, 09:13:14 pm »
Carsten Warholm couple of weeks ago broke the longest standing world record in Athletics. He's the 400m Hurdler who's 2x World Champion. He's dominated the field for the past 3 years.

That was brilliant, broke the world record in his native Norway as well. Also looking forward to seeing Femke Bol in the women's event, she's been getting better and better this year.

And Mondo Duplantis is the current world record holder in the pole vault and might break his own world record as well.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2021, 09:14:20 pm »
Are there even going to be film crews there?  It wouldn't surprise me if they don't all stay at home and just use the IOC footage with commentary/discussion seeing as there's no crowds for the atmosphere.

No idea but that’s what I meant. A big element but of the live coverage gone. But it’s the Olympics so will be good.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2021, 09:16:39 pm »
What an epic shit show this is going to be. No spectators whatsoever with the athletes essentially imprisoned and not even being allowed to interact with each other. Top that off with Japan having a very, very low percent of its population vaccinated and it's just an overall disaster. I never realized they were such anti-vaccers to be honest.

If I was an athlete I'd give this a hard pass. If ever there was to be an asterisk placed next to your name it'd be in this farce of an Olympics. It should have never gone on.

It’s massively compromised but if you missed this Olympics then basically it would be 8 years between Olympic Games. That’s just far too long in any prospective Olympians career.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2021, 09:18:03 pm »

Imagine losing Mo for the start of the season to this shitshow. Good job the club told them where to go (Konate as well).
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2021, 04:32:45 am »
Anyone know where will be best for coverage of this Olympics? the Beeb usually has a million channels on iPlayer showing everything, but i heard they only have 2 channels this time... has someone else got coverage too?
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2021, 07:53:42 am »
Anyone know where will be best for coverage of this Olympics? the Beeb usually has a million channels on iPlayer showing everything, but i heard they only have 2 channels this time... has someone else got coverage too?

Nobody really knows mate.

As discussed above we don't even know if the film crews and presenters will be over there covering it or sat in the studios in London 🤷

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2021, 08:40:07 am »

Eurosport I think. Which is shit because Eurosport is shit, and I don't have it.

BBC are still advertising a red button service, so I presume they will still be covering most of the good stuff.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2021, 08:56:42 am »
Such a shame because in normal times, this would have shaped up to be an epic Games.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2021, 09:39:43 am »
It’s still better than no sport at all and takes up towards the start of the new season quite nicely.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2021, 10:00:25 am »
It should've been cancelled, but the IOC are a bunch of *****.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2021, 11:52:28 am »
Nice day by day write up by the the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57778808

The lack of crowds kills it as an event which is a shame. It probably shouldn't take place. But for these athletes it is everything and they deserve their moment.

Plus im sure we need more gold postboxes :P

And I do like watching and cheering a sport I know nothing about

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2021, 01:26:20 pm »

Some 'useful info' for anyone following the Olympic football tournaments (GB Women have a team competing)...

Live Olympic football matches on UK TV : www.live-footballontv.com/2020-olympics-football-on-tv.html (BBC2 / Eurosport / BBC iPlayer & Red Button / Eurosport Player / discovery+)

Live Olympic mens football being shown around the world (+great for IPTV etc) - www.livesoccertv.com/competitions/international/olympics-soccer-men

Live Olympic womens football being shown around the world (+ great for IPTV etc) - www.livesoccertv.com/competitions/international/olympics-soccer-women

60+ stream sites (a decent number of which will likely be showing the Olympic matches) - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.0

Live Scores site - Mens (fixtures & results, tables, live scores, line-ups, subs, in-game comms etc) - www.flashscore.co.uk/football/world/olympic-games

Live Scores site - Womens (fixtures & results, tables, live scores, line-ups, subs, in-game comms etc) - www.flashscore.co.uk/football/world/olympic-games-women

Wikipedia page for Olympic Football at Tokyo 2020 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics

2020 Summer Olympics : Men's tournament - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_tournament

Mens Squads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_team_squads

2020 Summer Olympics : Women's tournament - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_tournament

Womens Squads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_team_squads

^ Meikayla Moore, of New Zealand Women, is the only Liverpool player at the 2020 Olympics Football tournaments. (https://twitter.com/MeikaylaMoore)

Official Olympic Football website page: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/sports/football

FIFA's Mens tournament website: www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/mensolympic/tokyo2020

FIFA's Womens tournament website: www.fifa.com/tournaments/womens/womensolympic/tokyo2020

A history of football at the Olympics (both mens and womens tournaments) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Summer_Olympics

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:58:43 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2021, 01:52:40 pm »
Nice day by day write up by the the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57778808

The lack of crowds kills it as an event which is a shame. It probably shouldn't take place. But for these athletes it is everything and they deserve their moment.

Plus im sure we need more gold postboxes :P

And I do like watching and cheering a sport I know nothing about

But it's not about the athletes, that's the thing.  The Olympic ideal is a crock of shit!

IOC holds Tokyo as Olympic hostage to fortune with grim Games ahead
Barry Glendenning

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/02/olympics-over-a-barrel-grim-games-afoot-with-iocs-tin-ear-for-torment-in-tokyo

Olympics chief mixes up Japanese and Chinese at Tokyo Games presser

Gaffe by International Olympic Committee president triggers backlash on social media

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/13/olympics-chief-refers-to-people-of-japan-as-chinese

Tokyo Olympics: anger in Japan at IOC call to make ‘sacrifices’
This article is more than 1 month old

Senior Games figures John Coates and Thomas Bach criticised for attitude amid calls for event to be cancelled

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/24/tokyo-olympics-anger-japan-ioc-coronavirus-sacrifices

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2021, 10:06:02 pm »
Toyota paid $1 billion to be an Olympics sponsor. Now they're pulling their TV ads
https://apnews.com/article/sports-2020-tokyo-olympics-business-health-coronavirus-pandemic-5eb0e254b9a0cac7ad57005677eebe66

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2021, 08:48:43 am »
Was surprised to see some events have already started.

Women's football (Great Britain have just gone 1-0 up), and baseball today and tomorow it seems.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2021, 08:55:22 am »
No crowds just kills it as a spectacle. Must be very disheartening for the athletes who've spent their lives preparing for this.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2021, 09:43:58 am »
Brisbane been awarded the 2032 games
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2021, 09:49:37 am »
Brisbane been awarded the 2032 games
Gives Australia 11 years to ensure zero covid. Good luck.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2021, 10:23:17 am »
Sweden currently beating the USA and should be going in more than one goal up at halftime.  Good game.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2021, 10:35:54 am »
Was surprised to see some events have already started.

Women's football (Great Britain have just gone 1-0 up), and baseball today and tomorow it seems.

The team sports tend to start before the official opening ceremony just because they’re basically a full tournament I think.

Is Rugby Sevens in again this year? Fiji winning their first ever Olympic Gold (maybe first ever medal?) in Rio was one of the highlights last time.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2021, 11:01:02 am »
USA 3-0 down.

Always nice to see.
AHA!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2021, 11:04:54 am »
USA 3-0 down.

Always nice to see.
Just need a field goal to level it though.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2021, 11:25:54 am »
USA 3-0 down.

Always nice to see.

Sweden 3-0 US; full-time. Deja vu for the US vs Sweden there from the last Olympics ;D highlights - www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeH4lP3a31U

www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/21/sweden-come-back-to-haunt-uswnt-again-in-shock-olympic-thrashing

GB 2-0 Chile; highlights - www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57905236

www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/21/team-gb-chile-olympics-match-report

Brazil 5-0 China; Marta with a brace - and still going strong (5th straight Olympics games for her). highlights - www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/olympics/57913423

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 12:25:14 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576