Author Topic: RAWK Eye Witness: LFC v Utd: The one where you stand up for the whole match.  (Read 10106 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Make some noise for David Moyes, that footballing genius of.... wait, no, today is not about gloating, well not that much anyway, its about remembering and enjoying and commemorating all the great things about LFC and Bill Shankly and what he brought to our club. He didn't just make the people happy, he made us great.

Great perhaps not in current trophies, but great in a sense that he fostered a culture at Liverpool that was just that cultured. We have a fantastic heritage, and not just in the nostalgic rosy tinted days of glory, but also in the sense that (most) Liverpool fans are steeped in what's right, what's the proper way, and what it is to support the mighty reds.
And so, yes I'll come to the match, but as ever, that point of the RAWK Eye Witness is to bring a little different perspective to the game, not a match report, but a personal retort to the bland and witless.

And so we go back some weeks, when Royhendo, MichaelA and I agreed now that we had happily come by 3 spares for the game against that shower down the East Lancs Road; that we should get up early and stop by en route at Shankly's Memorial, which for those not in the know (sit up at the back), is in Glenbuck. Ayrshire. That's Scotland. South West Scotland, a no longer there mining village.

But work and life gets in the way of a good Shankly saying, and so it was that only two of us, MichaelA and myself found ourselves too lazy to get up early and without the admirable Royhendo who was probably still drinking in Liverpool itself.

Meeting up outside the flagpole, I like on match days to get in early, especially against Utd, just to shout at them really more than anything else, but by the time we were in, it was only 15mins before kick off. Time enough to work out we had a white bit of paper to hold up

Of course there was only really one image on the programme cover too:

and the opposition were missing most of their villains, no Fergie, no Rooney and I still miss reminding Gary Neville certain aspects of his love life.

No matter, the Utd fans were quiet. Kind enough to join in the minute's applause for Shankly, although the whole ground was
reverberating to "Shankly, Shankly, Shankly, Shankly" and it would have been hard to hear a jet fighter never mind anything else.
It was lovely to see Shank's family on the sidelines and a real treat to see the place properly jumping again.

Onto the match:
Of course we stood up. I was next to a kid of probably about 8 who was stood on his chair the entire game, so the loudspeaker pleas to sit down for the child's sake can get to fuck. Only the hungover and lazy would sit at this game, Royhendo managing to stand thereby proving he was neither ;)

The flags were real, homemade and massive and our manager didn't need to encourage us to make some noise.: Jose take note.
Watching Utd play always is a nervous activity, but I genuinely think most of us felt the lack of Fergie's prescence. Some of that mystique has gone, leaving in its place, or rather revealing in its place, the true bitter nature of some of his players. Van Pursestrings truly is a nasty wanker, Ashley Young falling like an eager autumn tree leaf and Evra just being, well "There's only one lying bastard" went the chant.

We scored early doors but there was only probably about 20 minutes of nail biting at the end. We defended and we didn't come out enough and we didn't attack enough and Sterling looked like a anorexic mosquito against their defence but then what the fuck do I know. We won. 5 minutes of Fergie Time. Sorry, Moyes' Minutes but we were singing and cheering.

Half time saw the usual zonal raking. Anfield playing a 3 man raking sweep across the penalty box.

And so off we went back up the road, and thought fuck the rain, we're off to Glenbuck. MichaelA and I rang 606 and got them to call us when we were there. Hopefully I praised Shankly the right way, and it was a lovely moment to be in the rain, at this tiny Memorial, literally in the middle of nowhere on a day he would've approved of. Fast passing football, resolute defence and beating the blues and mancs all at the same time. Fucking lovely.
Yep.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Lovely stuff thanks for that

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I heard your phone call on 606 mentioning the forum, wondered who it was. Nice write up too.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Awesome write up mate.

Echo everything, and the noise from the Kop was as loud as recent memory.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Lovely mate, it must have been a treat for you to go to two great places in one day.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
Brilliant read - thanks for posting.

Wasn't able to get to the game myself so gave my ticket to a friend who has never been to a LFC v Utd game.
Went up on his own on the train but said it was one of the best days ever.
Picked him up from the station and he was pretty pissed but very happy !

Watching at home the atmosphere seemed fantastic from start to finish and I really think it helped the players on the day.  Shanks would've been proud !

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
I think my daughters put one of those stones on the memorial.

There are usually quite a few on top there, placed by visitors as in a jewish headstone.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Beautiful. And to think I thought it was MichaelA on the phone to Kelly Cates  ;D
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline pundapat

• Kopite
Beautiful write-up mate, had a cheeky grin on my face the whole way through!

Offline ★deb★, please ?

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
nice post, thanks

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Beautiful. And to think I thought it was MichaelA on the phone to Kelly Cates  ;D

Ha ha we both wanted to chat with her but I was like you can have Ian Wright if you like ;)
Yep.

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
This is brilliant! Conveys the atmosphere so well in so less. The pictures speak for themselves.

As from the point of view of someone who will most likely never get to Anfield, thank you very much.
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Lovely read, thanks.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
cheers mate :wave
Yep.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good stuff Hinesy - heard the bit on 5 Live and thought 'I know them!!'

Was a great match and the atmosphere was as good as it has been in ages........even singing in the Main Stand.  Whatever next?

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
Just about the perfect day to pay tribute to the great man.

87:13

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
Thanks for that... a great read
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Good stuff Hinesy - heard the bit on 5 Live and thought 'I know them!!'

Was a great match and the atmosphere was as good as it has been in ages........even singing in the Main Stand.  Whatever next?

;D

Just about the perfect day to pay tribute to the great man.

totally
Yep.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Really enjoyed reading this, Hinesy. Is there a link to an archive of the radio programme?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Really enjoyed reading this, Hinesy. Is there a link to an archive of the radio programme?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039c4tz think its 30+ min in

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
iPlayer Radio mate, last week's 606, about 30mins in is the best I can do :wave (just after the news bulletin)
Yep.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Love these.

Cheers
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks, guys.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
really enjoyed that..thanks
bollocks

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Great stuff Hinesy. A fitting tribute. A terrific week.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
iPlayer Radio mate, last week's 606, about 30mins in is the best I can do :wave (just after the news bulletin)

31:33 Trying to listen now but keeps buffering  :no

Interesting website you both help to run there http://www.redandwhite.com/  :D
« Last Edit: September 4, 2013, 11:51:41 pm by Barneylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
Did most of the stadium actually stand up the whole game then? From clips I've seen it looked like a lot of people in the main stand did (obviously KOP also).
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
Brilliant stuff. Thanks for that, Hinesy.
Justice For The 96

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Lovely read that.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
Well in lads. More then fitting recap to an excellent tribute to Shanks.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Beautiful moving read that, thank you for sharing it. Great pictures, too. Cheers.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
Very nice read that. Well done.
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Did most of the stadium actually stand up the whole game then? From clips I've seen it looked like a lot of people in the main stand did (obviously KOP also).

The kop did for sure. I wasn't looking at the rest of the crowd during the game ;)
Yep.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
Lovely read mate and kudos for making the trip north.

Thanks

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Volunteered to do a diy job, put the iplayer on - got brownie points from the missus and thoroughly enjoyed hearing that really evocative interview. Well done, those lads.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Had been waiting for the Eye Witness report from this game, and for some reason only just seen it, doh! Anyway, good read. :)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline ripsaw19

• Kopite
Re: RAWK Eye Witness: LFC v Utd: The one where you stand up for the whole match.
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »
The kop did for sure. I wasn't looking at the rest of the crowd during the game ;)

I was in the Annie Rd end (top tier, back row) and we weren't standing as much as we tried to! I think it may have had something to do with the Mancs directly below us though. Some of us tried standing along the back row but we were politley told that if we remained standing, we would be removed from the ground. I pointed out that the whole of the Kop was standing but they were unwavering! Great day none the less and the atmosphere down that end was immense!
ST Waiting List Position - 1556

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • The thing about common sense is it isn't common
Re: RAWK Eye Witness: LFC v Utd: The one where you stand up for the whole match.
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 06:47:49 pm »
Great pics..especially the raking malarkey.. ;)

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 11:00:34 am »
Just got around to this one. Excellent Hinesy - thank you.

And don't worry, listened to that radio thingie - all good mate.

All Reds owe you two a proper thanks. And a drink!
@Yvanicuzz