Author Topic: Gareth Bale - £85 million?! I can't understand it....  (Read 107108 times)

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
Gareth Bale - £85 million?! I can't understand it....
« on: September 1, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »
I can't understand that price, I really can't. I'd value Suarez at more than him yet we got pathetically lower bids.

Is he doomed to fail? Or is he really up there with Messi and Rondalo? I don't think so, do you?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8901865/transfer-news-gareth-bale-has-completed-his-move-from-spurs-to-real-madrid

Tottenham and Real Madrid have confirmed that a deal has been completed for the transfer of Gareth Bale to the Spanish side for a world record fee.

Madrid say the 24-year-old Welsh winger will sign a six-year contract, pending the completion of a medical, and it is believed he will cost them 100m euros (£85.3m).

He will be presented as a Real player at noon UK time on Monday, in front of 80,000 fans at the Club's Bernabeu Stadium.

Bale has released a statement in which he said: "I have had six very happy years at Tottenham but it's the right time to say goodbye.

"We've had some special times together over the years and I've loved every minute of it.

"I would like to thank everyone at the Club; the Chairman, Board, staff, coaches and players and, most of all, the fantastic fans, who I hope will understand this amazing career opportunity.

"I am not sure there is ever a good time to leave a club where I felt settled and was playing the best football of my career to date. I know many players talk of their desire to join the club of their boyhood dreams but, I can honestly say, this is my dream come true.

"I am well aware that I would not be at the level I am today were it not for, firstly Southampton, and then Spurs, standing by me during some of the tougher times and affording me the environment and support they have.

"Tottenham will always be in my heart and I'm sure that this season will be a successful one for them. I am now looking forward to the next exciting chapter in my life, playing football for Real Madrid."

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said: "Gareth was a player we had absolutely no intention of selling, as we look to build for the future.

"He is a player whose career we have fostered and developed, and he was only a year into his new four-year contract.

"Such has been the attention from Real Madrid and so great is Gareth's desire to join them, that we have taken the view that the player will not be sufficiently committed to our campaign in the current season.

"We have, therefore, with great reluctance, agreed to this sale, and do so in the knowledge that we have an exceptionally strong squad.

"We wish Gareth all the best in the future and he shall always be welcome at(White Hart) Lane."

Tottenham signed Bale for £10m from Southampton in 2007 but he made little impact initially and was on the verge of being sent out on loan at one point.

However, he thrived once given a more attacking role and was named the PFA Players' Player of the Year for the 2010/11 season.

And he took his game to stunning new heights last season, once again winning the PFA Player of the Year award, as well as the young player of the year gong, after a sensational campaign packed with spectacular goals.

However, Spurs were unable to qualify for the Champions League, which may have been a factor in Bale's desire for a new challenge.

Speaking after Tottenham's 1-0 loss to Arsenal on Sunday, Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas said of Bale: "The player is an absolutely wonderful player.

"He has left us with some great memories from last season, which every Tottenham fan cherishes, but he has moved on and we will move on as well."
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Gareth Bale - £85 million?! I can't understand it....
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2013, 09:22:07 pm »
Over hyped English media creation.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2013, 09:22:33 pm »
Marketing
Great Left Foot
Marketing
Young
Martketing
Scores Goals
Marketing

All reasons for Real wanting to sign Bale.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2013, 09:23:16 pm »
Bargain.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2013, 09:23:22 pm »
Sky Sports.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2013, 09:23:27 pm »
Emperor's new clothes.

End of story.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »
The funniest thing about it is they are going to "unveil" him in a special ceremony with a capacity crowd. Real Madrid are like a fat Spanish mayor who has an addiction to buying expensive statues for his town.

I'd be embarassed. Deeply embarassed.

However Spurs must be absolutely made up with £85M. It'll be like having Roman Abramovich on loan for a season.

Offline Sniffles

• Main Stander
  • Lead Explorer
Please consider the environment before printing this post.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2013, 09:34:16 pm »
Talented player, horribly overpriced and IMO going to flop miserably at Real Madrid. Can't see him justifying his price tag, especially since there will be a cheaper and far better player across the pitch around whom the team will be based.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2013, 09:41:01 pm »
Real just swinging their dick again.

Hes not even worth half of that fee.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2013, 09:46:36 pm »
He's a good player, but the hype has made him into a great player. €100m is insane.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2013, 09:52:19 pm »
£50-55m player in my opinion. Levy is just incredibly good at this.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2013, 09:55:03 pm »
I can't understand that price, I really can't. I'd value Suarez at more than him yet we got pathetically lower bids.

Is he doomed to fail? Or is he really up there with Messi and Rondalo? I don't think so, do you?

He's very talented theres no doubt about that; coming of the back of a very good season he was alway going to be in demand from the likes Real. Sometimes you pay a premium for a players potential. I personally don't think he will end up as good as Ronaldo or Messi; however, I certainly think he has the potential to be best british player of the last 25 years; he's got the potential to get better playing around other world class players and given how good  he already is thats a frightening prospect.

In terms of the transfer fee and his wages; well at £85M and a reported £300,000 per week that works out £175M over the course of his contract, which just a staggering sum of money to invest in one player. It is difficult to see how this works from a pure financial perspective. They will of course sell a few shirts; however, from a image perspective Bale doesn't yet have the same appeal as say Beckham or even Ronaldo did at this stage of his career.

Bale has a good chance to do well there and improve his game even more. If he achieves this, which I think he has a very good chance of doing then people will forget about the transfer fee. When Ronaldo went for £80M everyone said that was crazy now no one really mentions the fee. 

Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2013, 09:56:17 pm »
Bale didn't set the price, he's ambitious, Real Madrid is a dream move.

Fantastic footballer, crazy money but I'm looking forward to seeing how Ancelotti utilises him and how he links with Ronaldo and Isco.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2013, 10:02:59 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Stevie93

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2013, 10:00:33 pm »
If he flops, it would be quite majestic.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2013, 10:01:57 pm »
I could never understand Trevor Francis at £1M.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2013, 10:06:42 pm »
£50-55m player in my opinion. Levy is just incredibly good at this.

Levy?! Sky Sports should get 60% at least
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 1, 2013, 10:07:44 pm »
If When he flops, it would be quite majestic.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 1, 2013, 10:09:55 pm »
He's very talented theres no doubt about that; coming of the back of a very good season he was alway going to be in demand from the likes Real. Sometimes you pay a premium for a players potential. I personally don't think he will end up as good as Ronaldo or Messi; however, I certainly think he has the potential to be best british player of the last 25 years; he's got the potential to get better playing around other world class players and given how good  he already is thats a frightening prospect.

In terms of the transfer fee and his wages; well at £85M and a reported £300,000 per week that works out £175M over the course of his contract, which just a staggering sum of money to invest in one player. It is difficult to see how this works from a pure financial perspective. They will of course sell a few shirts; however, from a image perspective Bale doesn't yet have the same appeal as say Beckham or even Ronaldo did at this stage of his career.

Bale has a good chance to do well there and improve his game even more. If he achieves this, which I think he has a very good chance of doing then people will forget about the transfer fee. When Ronaldo went for £80M everyone said that was crazy now no one really mentions the fee. 

Steven Gerrard says hi  :wave

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #19 on: September 1, 2013, 10:10:48 pm »
Meh who cares football prices are crazy it's nothing new. Ronaldo and Bale together ripping teams apart will be great to watch.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
On the basis of last season he's a great player. £85,300,000 though?  ???
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #21 on: September 1, 2013, 10:13:40 pm »
This makes me worth at least 50k.....  :lmao
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 1, 2013, 10:14:44 pm »
I don't think he is even one of the top 10 players in the world. Stunned and amazed by the price to be honest.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #23 on: September 1, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2013, 10:17:26 pm »
Southampton had a 25% sell on fee for Bale when they sold him to Spurs. The sold the clause for £3m when they were skint and needed the cash. I bet they're devastated.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #25 on: September 1, 2013, 10:18:01 pm »
You have to wonder how long these sort of things can last in football
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #26 on: September 1, 2013, 10:18:37 pm »
Take last season out of the equation and you'd struggle to find someone who'd pay more than 20m for him. And he scored most of his goals in the second half of the season. Good player but not even worth half of what he's gone for and he will never reach anywhere near Ronaldo's current level

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 1, 2013, 10:18:53 pm »
I don't think he is even one of the top 10 players in the world. Stunned and amazed by the price to be honest.

Concede at least that he has enough quality to compete for that 11th slot

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #28 on: September 1, 2013, 10:18:54 pm »
He will earn about £94m in wages over 6 years....

NINETY FOUR MILLION!!

FFS

:butt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2013, 10:20:41 pm »
I've met Gareth Bale a few times. My school would play his. A very nice pleasant fella. I wish him all the best.

However..... the fucking mind boggling stupid offensive price tag is beyond

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 1, 2013, 10:23:33 pm »
This is going to put Ronaldo's nose right out of joint

Offline tanvir

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: September 1, 2013, 10:23:36 pm »

NINETY FOUR MILLION!!

FFS

£300,000 a week?

Naaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 1, 2013, 10:25:00 pm »

NINETY FOUR MILLION!!

FFS

He won't make all of it though, that's before tax. Madrid will have to pay it though at £300,000 a week.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #33 on: September 1, 2013, 10:25:37 pm »
Real pays because they can afford it. More than €500 million in revenues last season according to Deloitte, and has made a profit after taxes at least the last two seasons.

On the other hand, Bale is hardly worth half that.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: September 1, 2013, 10:26:11 pm »

NINETY FOUR MILLION!!

FFS

I don't really get that part about the wages. Who were they bidding against? Did Bale's representation start out negotiation at 400k/week? You know Spurs wouldn't get anywhere near that and no one else would have been in the ballpark to pay that transfer fee. The whole handling of the transfer from Real Madrid's perspective doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 1, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »
Quite easily..have you seen the tv contracts?

Still, overpriced as a player but real Madrids signings have never set the market for everyone else. So it isn't that much of a concern when trying to sign other players for your team.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 1, 2013, 10:29:19 pm »

Ribery
Robben
Reus
Cavani
Suarez
Falcao
Iniesta
Ibrahimovic
Van Persie
Lewandowski

All off the top of my head.

Insane transfer, this.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #37 on: September 1, 2013, 10:31:25 pm »

Best copyright/trademark that celebration Chopper. :wave

Offline gordonchas

• Jilted John was right.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 1, 2013, 10:36:06 pm »
I could never understand Trevor Francis at £1M.

Why anyone finds this sort of thing "offensive" I can't understand. At what multi-million level did it become something to offend? We can all think of transfers for about half of this value that have proven to be utterly useless.

BCCC makes the point in 8 words. But at least Trevor Francis, when you could get him off the treatment table, was a proper player.  At some point or another, yet through no fault of their own, the likes of David Mills, Steve Daley and Bob Latchford set new British record transfer fees. Now that was offensive.

As for Bale, I'm neutral and un-convinced.

Having watched Spurs today, though, I might be more easily persuaded.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 1, 2013, 10:37:41 pm »
Over hyped English media creation.

Pretty much and Real Madrid waving their big dick around as someone described above

Quality player but not even the best in England for me

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3