Author Topic: Rene Meulensteen to leave Manchester United  (Read 23251 times)

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
Rene Meulensteen to leave Manchester United
« on: May 27, 2013, 05:07:42 pm »
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchesterunited/article3776269.ece

I don't have the website paid access, but here's the intro.

Rene Meulensteen, the Manchester United first team coach, is expected to leave the club in the next 24 hours as David Moyes continues his overhaul of the back-room staff at Old Trafford.

Meulensteen, 49, has been offered the chance to remain at United to work with their youth academy in a role similar to that which he filled for five years between 2001 and 2006 but the Dutchman is almost certain to seek a new challenge elsewhere.

An unwise move in my book, Meulensteen has been an integral part of the backroom staff according to my Manc mates. It kind of defeats the idea that they're building a 'Boot Room' to rival our own.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Rene Meulensteen to leave Manchester United
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:09:26 pm »
If he's that good we should try to snap him up.

Offline HoinkDoink

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 05:09:38 pm »
Quite a big loss for them, think he was a key member to their staff
Liverpool FC
Stop for the Klopp!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=294839.0 - RAWK Soccer Manager Thread, Come Play

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:11:18 pm »
Come in, clean house, remove everything that made them tick.

Agent Moyes?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »
Oh Moyesy you truly are the gift that keeps on giving.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 05:12:26 pm »
This guy is good in FM. May be he should be signed by Liverpool, will bring tons of experience.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 05:12:52 pm »
Tricky situation for the Mancs. They've got to be seen to be backing David Moyes and not just having him in there as a virtual puppet for Ferguson in the board room and his lieutenants on the coaching staff.  By getting rid of Meulensteen, Phelan and Steele they're making Moyes his own man, but trusting a fucking huge club to David fucking Moyes.

There's a generation of United fans about to find out what it's like to be a normal football club. Continuity be going, yo.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:14:09 pm »
According to anyone who should know, this guy was supposed to be really good. Don't know what Gollum is doing getting rid of him if so but the more change the better i suppose

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 05:16:22 pm »
Seems a very short sighted move by Moyes. Replacing Fergies winning staff with some of his own from Everton?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »
Seems a very short sighted move by Moyes. Replacing Fergies winning staff with some of his own from Everton?

They're all winners ;)

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 05:20:30 pm »
Was hoping this would happen, the chances of Moyes failing there just increased massively ;D

Offline Damien1990

• Main Stander
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »
Moyes wants him to stay, but unfortunately the role would be a reduced one. Under Ferguson, Meulensteen did the majority of the training sessions etc as the responsibility for things like that was delegated out as at Ferguson's age, he couldn't do all that. With Moyes coming in, there isn't that need to delegate training out like that as he can take control of those sessions himself.

Losing Meulensteen would be a big blow as we need some continuity. Not sure where he'll go from here though unless he's planning to go back into management as if he goes coaching somewhere else, he'd be likely to have a similar role that Moyes was going to give him.

Full article:

Rene Meulensteen, the Manchester United first team coach, is expected to leave the club in the next 24 hours as David Moyes continues his overhaul of the back-room staff at Old Trafford.

Meulensteen, 49, has been offered the chance to remain at United to work with their youth academy in a role similar to that which he filled for five years between 2001 and 2006 but the Dutchman is almost certain to seek a new challenge elsewhere.

United confirmed the departures of Mike Phelan and Eric Steele, the assistant manager and goalkeeping coach respectively, on Friday and now Meulensteen is set to follow in their footsteps.

Meulensteen spent a year in charge of United’s reserve team before leaving to take over as Brondby coach only to return to Old Trafford in 2007. He has been linked with the vacant manager’s post at Twente in his native Holland.

Although Meulensteen is widely respected in coaching circles, Moyes is keen to bring in his own people as he begins the task of succeeding Mr. Ferguson as manager.

Moyes is likely to bring in Chris Woods, the former England goalkeeper, and Jimmy Lumsden, a trusted coach and ally, from Everton. There are also expected to be places among the coaching team for Paul Scholes, who announced his retirement before United’s final home game of the season against Swansea City, and Nicky Butt, another former United midfielder.

Ryan Giggs has already signed a 12-month extension to continue playing for United next season but the midfielder – who is expected to complete his Uefa Pro Licence coaching badge over the next 12 months – will be given a role on Moyes’s staff at some point.

Phil Neville, the Everton captain, has been linked with the role of United No 2 under Moyes, although he is also thought to be in the running to succeed his former manager at Goodison Park. Steve Round, who worked as Moyes’ assistant at Goodison Park, is another name in the frame for the job vacated by Phelan.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 05:22:33 pm »
I find it absolutely mind-boggling Phillip bloody Neville is being talked about as a serious contender for a managerial job.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 05:23:56 pm »
I find it absolutely mind-boggling Phillip bloody Neville is being talked about as a serious contender for a managerial job.
Isn't it wonderful?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 05:27:11 pm »
An unwise move in my book, Meulensteen has been an integral part of the backroom staff according to my Manc mates. It kind of defeats the idea that they're building a 'Boot Room' to rival our own.

I said to my mate when they announced gollum - If I were a manc <shudders> it wouldn't be moyes himself that would worry me, it'd be him trying to show he's not the straw boss and ripping out the coaching staff of which this fella was by far and away the most important.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 05:39:38 pm »
I thought the whole idea behind Moyes, was he was supposed to help with continuity, not disrupt everything.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »
Moyes wants him to stay, but unfortunately the role would be a reduced one. Under Ferguson, Meulensteen did the majority of the training sessions etc as the responsibility for things like that was delegated out as at Ferguson's age, he couldn't do all that. With Moyes coming in, there isn't that need to delegate training out like that as he can take control of those sessions himself.

Losing Meulensteen would be a big blow as we need some continuity. Not sure where he'll go from here though unless he's planning to go back into management as if he goes coaching somewhere else, he'd be likely to have a similar role that Moyes was going to give him.

Full article:

Genuine question mate, how did you honestly feel when Moyes got the job and what was the general feeling around your mates and other United forums when he got it? Taking that into account, has the way you feel changed since Phelan, Steele and now Meulensteen have got their marching orders only to be seemingly replaced by people like Chris Woods, Steve Round and Phil Neville?
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 05:46:52 pm »
If I were Everton, I'd offer him the manager's job. Clarke didn't do too badly and I think Rene wouldn't do that bad at Everton either.

Can see him going to Stoke to be honest.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 05:47:43 pm »
Get him snapped up.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 05:48:26 pm »
I didn't realise how stupid Moyes actually is until now. I could understand Phelan and Steele but to lose Meulensteen? Batshit crazy!
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 05:51:51 pm »
More good news.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:46 pm »
Excellent decision by Moyes. They need the world class backroom staff of Everton if they ever want to win trophies and be the best club in Europe.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 05:56:18 pm »
Personally I think it's a bad idea when you have the manager bring in his whole staff. Means the whole organization is changing direction when Man Utd doesn't really need to.

So in other words I think that it's a good thing. He wouldn't have looked like "Ferguson's pupper" if he kept them winning.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »
I didn't realise how stupid Moyes actually is until now. I could understand Phelan and Steele but to lose Meulensteen? Batshit crazy!

In this case it doesn't sound like Moyes is at fault. Meulensteen is obviously not happy at the prospect of losing some of his current advanced responsibilities which Ferguson delegated but have now naturally reverted to Moyes.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 05:58:22 pm »
Get him snapped up.

Big loss for them if it happens, don't think he would fit here as the coaching methods he devised are not used by Rodgers.
No time for caution.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 05:58:55 pm »
In this case it doesn't sound like Moyes is at fault. Meulensteen is obviously not happy at the prospect of losing some of his current advanced responsibilities which Ferguson delegated but have now naturally reverted to Moyes.

Moyes should be doing everything he can to keep him. I bet he'd stay if he was made Assistant Manager
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »
Stupid decision by Moyes to let him go. Meulensteen is one of the best skills trainers in the world, and was a huge factor in their academy's decision to switch to the Dutch 4v4 model for training. If he's gone, I can see that going too. Which is great for everyone else, and quite amusing too, but in football terms, United fans should be expecting some pain in the near future.

For me, yet another example of the British distrust of skill coaching and developing skilled players. You don't lose good technical coaches unless you are planning on not working on technique. I daresay the new United description will be "Everton in Red" :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:04:40 pm by PhaseofPlay »
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 06:01:08 pm »

So you'd be happy with a demotion from first team duties to academy duties after you'd worked your way up then? I wouldn't.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 06:01:10 pm »

Please let it be so!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 06:04:01 pm »
Big loss for them if it happens, don't think he would fit here as the coaching methods he devised are not used by Rodgers.

Not true at all. Rodgers uses a lot of the Dutch principles of 4v4, rondos, and basic game forms, as well as manipulating the field variables to achieve his coaching points (small goals in 4v4 games, for example, force the teams to focus on possession rather than attack - big goals in a small area, though, focus on shooting under pressure and rapid transition - both very Dutch concepts which Meulensteen utilised). I think he'd fit in well, from a methodology perspective with Rodgers, but I don't think there would be an equal-level position right now. He'll probably go to Chelsea or City, or back to Holland.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »
Moyes should be doing everything he can to keep him. I bet he'd stay if he was made Assistant Manager

Maybe, but that wasn't what I was arguing. His current role isn't enough after losing the extra responsibilities. If Moyes could offer the AM role then maybe that was the route to go, presumably Moyes has his own man he wants there though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 06:05:33 pm »
Won't make a blind bit of difference. You'd have to be mad to think it would.

Manchester United haven't been a football club for a long, long time. A manager coming in to that corporation is more like a new man taking over a Tesco or a president of an electronics firm. Ferguson will still have the power and the ear of the board and of his cronies in English football and the media.

Their juggernaught of a company has only a tenuous link to football - it's all about business. They long since stopped being 'just a sports franchise'.

I fully expect (after the laughter has subsided) to see them roll onto leagues every year/every other year and for business to go on as usual. Because that's what it is - a business. Ferguson was nothing special and Moyes will prove that with continued success brought to that business.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:08:38 pm by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 06:05:57 pm »
So you'd be happy with a demotion from first team duties to academy duties after you'd worked your way up then? I wouldn't.

That was my point. Meulensteen isn't happy at losing those extra bits of responsibility and doesn't want to stay without them. Moyes isn't at fault though for taking back areas that naturally are his anyway but were in this case delegated out. Yes, Utd will be weaker for losing him but I don't see Moyes as at fault if Meulensteen doesn't want to stay without a promotion.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 06:06:19 pm »
Stupid decision by Moyes. Meulensteen is one of the best skills trainers in the world, and was a huge factor in their academy's decision to switch to the Dutch 4v4 model for training. If he's gone, I can see that going too. Which is great for everyone else, and quite amusing too, but in football terms, United fans should be expecting some pain in the near future.

For me, yet another example of the British distrust of skill coaching and developing skilled players. You don't lose good technical coaches unless you are planning on not working on technique. I daresay the new United description will be "Everton in Red" :D

Would you have him at Liverpool given the chance? I don't know what he does (did), but I'm interested whether some of what I envy in Ferguson's Man Utd could be transplanted to Liverpool with a member of their coaching set up.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 06:09:56 pm »
I've always thought ferguson was an excellent manager.

Not the hair dryer stuff or the stuff during games, but he was brilliant at getting the right coaching staff.

He got absolutely the best coaching staff he could and trusted them to coach the way he wanted.

It let him adapt to different playing styles which he perhaps wasn't so familiar with with ease.

People put it down to delegation because of his age, for me, it was the key thing to his management of his club.

He's still a c*nt mind ;)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 06:12:00 pm »
Would you have him at Liverpool given the chance? I don't know what he does (did), but I'm interested whether some of what I envy in Ferguson's Man Utd could be transplanted to Liverpool with a member of their coaching set up.

He's a Coerver coach, so if we look at that aspect, he would be great for players like Coutinho, Sterling, Suso, Suarez, Sturridge, Assaidi (if he's kept), Agger, Ibe, Johnson, Allen and Borini to work with. In terms of the benefits to other players, he would help them to become individually comfortable on the ball - not technically, but mentally. His 4v4 methods would neatly fit into the Rodgers way, and he would have a different perspective that could add to the training plan. And to add to all that, he has the experience of seeing up close what made the United teams tick, and could offer that perspective too, in much the same way that I would bet Kidd's experience with United helped City a lot when they won the league, in terms of mentality and what to expect. So from a professional standpoint, I think he would be a great addition to the staff, and would settle in quickly. But I'm not sure there's a position open. If not, then shoe-horning him in would only lead to frustration as there would be less for him to do. But in terms of "best practices", I'd have him as a coach like a shot if I was manager.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 06:15:15 pm »
Don't understand this at all. Fair enough bringing in a few of your own people that you are familiar with, but surely the purpose of Moyes coming in, was so he could just continue Fergusons work. He is going to struggle if all the backroom staff and training methods are drastically changed.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 06:15:26 pm »
Won't make a blind bit of difference. You'd have to be mad to think it would.

Manchester United haven't been a football club for a long, long time. A manager coming in to that corporation is more like a new man taking over a Tesco or a president of an electronics firm. Ferguson will still have the power and the ear of the board and of his cronies in English football and the media.

Their juggernaught of a company has only a tenuous link to football - it's all about business. They long since stopped being 'just a sports franchise'.

I fully expect (after the laughter has subsided) to see them roll onto leagues every year/every other year and for business to go on as usual. Because that's what it is - a business. Ferguson was nothing special and Moyes will prove that with continued success brought to that business.

The players have been prepared meticulously by the coaches who are now leaving the club, according to a strict set of tactical principles of play and attacking visual triggers laid out by a manager who is no longer in charge. This will be like the Frank O'Farrell situation and the Souness situation to a degree. Moyes is going to try to be his own man, and be exposed ruthlessly if he isn't up to task. Players are creatures of habit and routine. They are now going to have to train a completely different way to how they have done for the last 20-odd years. Let's see how that works out for them.

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 06:16:51 pm »
You know what Im quite shocked how many people are leaving so soon. I was half expecting most of them to stay and Moyes bring in one other person and change the backroom staff over the course of the season. Hopefully this will weaken them significantly more than what I was 1st expecting.

Just read the above comments. Glad to see im not the only one thinking along these lines of completely dismantling the good thing they had going.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:18:44 pm by benn25 »
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.