Author Topic: Iago Aspas Deal Announced  (Read 255334 times)

Offline Dani LFC

• Legend
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Iago Aspas
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2013, 11:57:25 PM »
I think we will sign this player as cover for Downing's replacement personally. Him and player x to compete for the right wing slot.

Personally, I think that we will sign Aspas as competition for Downing at the right sided attacking position.

Offline hugoboss

• Legend
  • Lightning Frightning!!!
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »
He doesn't seem anything like a right winger to me, I wouldn't mind him and Atsu. I'm in favour of having more players in attack than needed that way there is always competition and those who are unhappy are more likely to be those further down in the pecking order.

Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Borini, Henderson, Sterling, Aspas and Atsu fighting for 4 places will bring out the best in them.
Prandelli: "I prefer to concede a goal on the counter-attack rather than sit, wait and suffer for 20 minutes."

Offline Dani LFC

• Legend
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2013, 12:29:47 AM »
He doesn't seem anything like a right winger to me

If I had to pick one thing that I like about Rodgers, I would say that I love the fluidity of his attacking system, and the fact that the attacking players in his system don't have a fixed position. I know that most of us are still thinking in terms like "target man/lone striker", "second striker", "right winger" and "left winger", but these terms have absolutely no meaning in Rodgers' attacking system.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:26:57 PM by Dani LFC »

Online Livo.85

• Legend
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2013, 04:06:19 AM »
Personally, I think that we will sign Aspas as competition for Downing at the right sided attacking position.
Agree. My biggest gripe about Downing is he doesn't get into good goal scoring positions. Although Aspas isn't the definition of a right winger you know that he would do a similar job to Dirk Kuyt. He suits Rodgers fluid system better than Downing too. I think the Kuyt comparison is actually a pretty close one. 1st touch can let him down at times but his work rate, versatility & goal scoring ability more than makes up for that. He is certainly quicker than what Kuyt was too.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2013, 06:32:26 AM »
He looks more like Bellamy than Kuyt to me
Passion, work rate, decent pace and he can also be a complete nutter  ;D

Hopefully celta go down and we can get him for the 5 million euros. Low risk signing and I'm sure if he fails to settle down some Spanish team would take him back for around that price.

Doubt he'd be first choice if he joined but hopefully we bring in another winger aswell which should bring out the best out everyone. Competition for places should keep everyone on their toes and it'll give Brendan loads of options to choose from. Aspas Borini and suarez as wide forwards cutting in,  Downing, Sterling and hopefully a 10-15mil winger to add competition to that. We also have hendo Coutinho and sturridge who can all play out wide if needed

Online Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2013, 06:38:27 AM »
If Celta do go down, you'd think there would be a lot more teams in for him than just us.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legend
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2013, 06:50:41 AM »
He doesn't seem anything like a right winger to me, I wouldn't mind him and Atsu. I'm in favour of having more players in attack than needed that way there is always competition and those who are unhappy are more likely to be those further down in the pecking order.

Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Borini, Henderson, Sterling, Aspas and Atsu fighting for 4 places will bring out the best in them.

BR doesn't really use traditional wingers, in the 3 up front the most top teams use wide forwards that chip in with 10+ goals over yhe seaaon rather than wingers that chip in 3/4. Barca and German national team as examples.
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline HeartAndSoul

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:32 AM »
If Celta do go down, you'd think there would be a lot more teams in for him than just us.

That is true but so far we haven't seen him linked to bigger clubs than us. Only seen Valencia and Swansea links and with all due respect, we're a bigger team than both of them and should be able to offer him better wages than either of those 2 teams would. Unless he's looking to go to a team and be a regular first team member or stay close to his family in Spain, I don't see any other reason why he might want to join them clubs over us and I really doubt many bigger teams will be looking at him.

Offline hugoboss

• Legend
  • Lightning Frightning!!!
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2013, 07:53:13 AM »
If I had to pick one thing that like about Rodgers, I would say that I love the fluidity of his attacking system, and the fact that the attacking players in his system don't have a fixed position. I know that most of us are still thinking in terms like "target man/lone striker", "second striker", "right winger" and "left winger", but these terms have absolutely no meaning in Rodgers' attacking system.

Ofcourse they all interchange but u dobt want 3 guys in attack who all prefer to play through the middle at least should favor the wide areas this also helps the fluidity.
Prandelli: "I prefer to concede a goal on the counter-attack rather than sit, wait and suffer for 20 minutes."

Offline Didi_ram

• Legend
  • We go again.
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2013, 08:07:04 AM »
I think we will sign this player as cover for Downing's replacement personally. Him and player x to compete for the right wing slot.
Cant see why we can have Aspas, Downing, and your player X in our squad. Suso may go on loan, Assaidi should be sold, and maybe Shelvey may go (loan/sale), so there's definitely space.
Suarez, Sturridge, Borini, Sterling, Coutinho, Downing, Aspas, new player. That's a good line.

Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen for the CM places.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2013, 08:11:48 AM »
Cant see why we can have Aspas, Downing, and your player X in our squad. Suso may go on loan, Assaidi should be sold, and maybe Shelvey may go (loan/sale), so there's definitely space.
Suarez, Sturridge, Borini, Sterling, Coutinho, Downing, Aspas, new player. That's a good line.

Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen for the CM places.

I think he`s saying Downing out and Aspas as cover for Downing`s incoming replacement
Born on the Bluebell.

Never forget our 96 Brothers and Sisters

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legend
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2013, 11:38:54 AM »
If the youtube videos are any guide, I'm not sure why AAspas could possibly be a replacement for Downing - he does not look like a right or left winger at all. What he does look like in the youtube videos is a decent centreforward. 7M would be a very good price for such a player.

That would not be a bad thing to bring in another striker who knows where the goal is given that Suarez is suspended for a long stretch and  Sturridge is our only centreforward.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legend
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »
Celta have to lose their last game to go down, right?
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »

That would not be a bad thing to bring in another striker who knows where the goal is given that Suarez is suspended for a long stretch and  Sturridge is our only centreforward.
Borini ?
SOS No.1406

Offline MikaelLFC

• Legend
  • There's an evil monkey in me closet!
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »
Celta have to lose their last game to go down, right?

The last 5 teams in La Liga:

Pts   Pld   W     D      L     GF    GA
16 Osasuna     39     37    10     9    18    31    46
17 Deportivo    35    37     8     11    18    47    69
-------------------------------------------------------------------
18 Celta           34    37     9      7      21   36    52
19 Zaragoza    34    37     9      7      21   36    59
20 Mallorca      33    37     8      9      20   39    70

In other words, for Celta to stay they have to win and Deportivo have to lose or draw their last game, so it's not entirely up to them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:02:53 PM by MikaelLFC »
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."
Bill Shankly

For all of you getting hyped over this transferwindow, please calm down and have a look:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=269840.0
As for the rumours: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

Offline Stevie93

• Legend
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »

20 Mallorca      33    37     8      9      20   39    7

In other words, for Celta to stay they have to win and Deportivo have to lose or draw their last game, so it's not entirely up to them.

It's very possible for Celta to stay up. Deportivo play Real Sociedad, who need to win to have a chance in qualifying for the Champions League. And Celta play Espanyol, who have nothing to play for and have a pretty poor away record.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legend
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »

20 Mallorca      33    37     8      9      20   39    7

how can Mallorca have lost 20 games and only conceded 7 goals.

It's a fix ;)

Online Number 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • "the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing"
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »

We just have to show him a video of Suarez and Coutinho in action, and he'll be on the next plane here.

:)
YWNA

Offline NotHarinder

• RAWK Star. Need a banner? Yes please! He will revert with the needful... Top Kharbooja
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legend
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
The question is which colour will we get?

If he does join, remind he'll be living in the UK and he can sign this too  :wave

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legend
  • He who laughs last, didn't get the joke...
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »
I thought a Lago Aspas was a small hairy Tibetan dog ....

or is that a Lhaso Apso......

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legend
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »
I know absolutely nothing about him but Sid Lowe seems to think the sun shines out of his arse which is good enough for me, not to mention he seems a bit mental and we need some more of that.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legend
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
He seems like another Sturridge, not sure we need two of those.

Offline JerseyKopite

• Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • Exiled to London...
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
He seems like another Sturridge, not sure we need two of those.

You're right, Sturridge has been terrible.

Offline Thog

• Legend
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
You're right, Sturridge has been terrible.

I didn't mean it to come across like that - Sturridge has been good but we don't need two Sturridge's, not sure they would link together well and it's pretty pointless having two similar players, even if it was two Falcao's for example. I think we'd be better off getting someone like Son.

Offline JerseyKopite

• Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • Exiled to London...
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
I didn't mean it to come across like that - Sturridge has been good but we don't need two Sturridge's, not sure they would link together well and it's pretty pointless having two similar players, even if it was two Falcao's for example. I think we'd be better off getting someone like Son.

I was being flippant, but I take your point. We can't rely on Sturridge all season though, either in terms of form or fitness, and if we build our team to include someone playing in his 'style' then a backup Sturridge would be extremely useful.

That's just assumign they wouldn't fit in the same team, which they might.

Offline Thog

• Legend
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
I was being flippant, but I take your point. We can't rely on Sturridge all season though, either in terms of form or fitness, and if we build our team to include someone playing in his 'style' then a backup Sturridge would be extremely useful.

That's just assumign they wouldn't fit in the same team, which they might.
Fair enough and it is an assumption but based on what I've seen they are too similar to strike up a good partnership. Surely to have really good options you want strikers with different sets of attributes so you can rotate and make changes from the bench, rather than having like for like backups - you need competition, I think it would get the best out of Sturridge if someone really threatened his place, you could see how good he was against Chelsea when he had a point to prove.

Offline gjr1

• Legend
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »
I'd take 2 Sturridge's in a flash. The more players we have who can put the ball in the back of the net the better. They all don't have to play at the same time...

Offline Touchstone

• Geoffstrong (RIP ). Saw Geoff play many times. classy player, hard as nails simply a Liverpool legend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • Mario our crazy diamond
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
I think we should sign him because not many letters in his name, mush easier to get right so better than that papadopodopodopolous guy and that aldowired fella
JFT 96 R.I.P
http://hillsboroughinquests.independent.gov.uk/

“My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Had Napoleon had that idea he would have conquered the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in.”

Offline Irakla

• Anny Roader
  • A Mignolet, A Mignolet, A Mignolet
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »
We knew that Aspas on his official Twitter account was following spanish LFC twitter,but today he started to follow a Premier league account too.
also Twitter: Celta Vigo's Iago Aspas will sign for Liverpool for £7.7m on a wage of £26k p/w.   (Cadena SER)

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legend
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »
on a wage of £26k p/w.   (Cadena SER)
  8)
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline stardorman

• Very gullible, please avoid showing him photoshops
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legend
  • 5 times in Istanbul.. Twatter @stardorman
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
We knew that Aspas on his official Twitter account was following spanish LFC twitter,but today he started to follow a Premier league account too.
also Twitter: Celta Vigo's Iago Aspas will sign for Liverpool for £7.7m on a wage of £26k p/w.   (Cadena SER)
Be good deal that.. Could be fairly close if reports are to be believed..

Offline Samie

• Would edit his own posts if he could be arsed!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »

IT'S A LIE!

I've heard he'll be on 126K p/w.

Offline Touchstone

• Geoffstrong (RIP ). Saw Geoff play many times. classy player, hard as nails simply a Liverpool legend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • Mario our crazy diamond
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »

IT'S A LIE!

I've heard he'll be on 126K p/w.

And Kolo is selling him a merc
JFT 96 R.I.P
http://hillsboroughinquests.independent.gov.uk/

“My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Had Napoleon had that idea he would have conquered the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in.”

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • 'No, is called The Ass Master. It's German!'
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
For every pound Kolo Toure earns, Aspas will earn a penny.

So that is correct, it'll be £26k a week.
'She doesn't have to eat the chocolate, she can play with the toy inside'

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • #JFT96
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »
For every pound Kolo Toure earns, Aspas will earn a penny.

So that is correct, it'll be £26k a week.

Pounds earnt? Last time he had weight issues he ended up with a 6month ban!

Offline Didi_ram

• Legend
  • We go again.
« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2013, 04:05:48 PM »
That's as economical as we could get in terms of wages. If he is a hit, it could be a big effing bargain. And his workrate,movement, and "bite" suggests that he certainly wont be a flop if he joins.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legend
  • 'No, is called The Ass Master. It's German!'
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Pounds earnt? Last time he had weight issues he ended up with a 6month ban!

Money pounds or body pounds, its still £26k a week for Aspas. One of those bizarre natural occurances, Kolo Toure puts on exactly as much weight in pounds per week as he earns in pound sterling. That's also in his contract. And the money that he spends on krispy kreme donuts legally has to be matched by the Premier League and then paid to his six wives, all of whom own Hyundai dealerships. And the profits from those dealerships goes to the surgery required to keep Kolo Toure looking young.

Its a strange deal in all honesty.
'She doesn't have to eat the chocolate, she can play with the toy inside'

Offline ArchieC

• Legend
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »
That is true but so far we haven't seen him linked to bigger clubs than us. Only seen Valencia and Swansea links and with all due respect, we're a bigger team than both of them and should be able to offer him better wages than either of those 2 teams would. Unless he's looking to go to a team and be a regular first team member or stay close to his family in Spain, I don't see any other reason why he might want to join them clubs over us and I really doubt many bigger teams will be looking at him.

We are bigger no doubt about that but both Valencia and Swansea are in Europe next season.

Offline Thog

• Legend
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
Found this description of him on the Daily Mirror:

A fiery striker with a gift for creating and scoring goals, Iago Aspas would be a fantastic signing for most clubs in the Premier League. 10 goals in his first La Liga season has shown the confident nature the Spaniard possesses, but many are forgetting another dimension to his game.

Aspas has also been the best creative outlet at Celta this season, weighing in with 6 assists and playing a vital role in all approach play duties. Aspas is someone who can add variation to the attack, dropping off deep to initiate play while also moving into the channels and holding up the ball. The 25-year-old has pace, skill and impressive movement off the ball especially.

His style at times is reminiscent of David Villa in his pomp at Valencia. There is a darker side to Aspas though, and with his sort fuse is known to get in the faces of opponents and officials. He's certainly one of those classic players you'd love to have on your team, but despise when an opponent.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legend
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2013, 04:17:36 PM »
This guy reminds me of Lavezzi who can play anywhere across the front and is an utter nightmare for defenders.
He's also a big fan of Robbie Fowler apparently. So for that reason I'm in.
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1