Author Topic: Spyin' Kop - Liverpool v Swansea City - 17th February 2013  (Read 10479 times)

royhendo

Spyin' Kop - Liverpool v Swansea City - 17th February 2013
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:06:42 pm »
    v

Liverpool v Swansea City

Kick Off: 3:00pm
    17/02/13

Liverpool arrived home from St Petersburg on Thursday night to the prospect of a league opponent truly at its zenith. In a week's time, the club is expected to secure its first major honour in the League Cup Final, with Bradford awaiting them at Wembley.

Fresh from their mighty thumping of Harry Redknapp's bionically rebuilt QPR, but with the memory of their 1-0 reverse at the Boleyn just as current in their minds, the match at Anfield promises a great deal for the neutral. While Swansea's away record in the league of late has been mixed, we saw in October how effective Laudrup's team can be on the counter, and their display is surely one of the most impressive we've seen at Anfield in recent years.

Excellent contributors for this one folks - thanks to both for their time and their excellent responses:

1. First up, good luck ahead of the final next week. It's been great to see you do so well (even the ball boys). Ordinarily you'd think a league away at Anfield would be a high point in most team's season; but does part of you think Sunday's game is a distraction ahead of the big event?

Chris: I wouldn't say a distraction. You have to remember how long Swansea as a club were in the doldrums to realise and respect that there are - and apologies for the cliche - 38 cup finals for the side and supporters a season. And certainly, the prospect of Liverpool at Anfield will remain a highlight for both fans and players regardless of big games ahead, and even the cup game earlier this year. With that in mind I can't see it being described as a distraction, even if cup fever has been bubbling away since the Chelsea games. If anything the fact that Swansea are all but safe and have less pressure riding on them going into the game may take off some of the edge that may have been there if the trip had been earlier in the season.

Peter: Thank you. No I don't think it's a distraction, it's very important in itself. Even though we sit on 37pts currently and that means we're all but safe in reality, for a Club like ours the PL is always going to mean that retention of our status is the no1 priority. Having said that, I'm an advocate of protecting some of our players prior to the Final since winning the Cup that you did last year will be a huge honour and will give us a European adventure next year - something we're not as used to as you. It remains for me (and us as a Club) a pleasure to come to Anfield - this is what we fans have always aspired to - so to get a result on Sunday would be huge in several senses.

2. Anfield's been quite a happy hunting ground for you of late, hasn't it? Rodgers set you up to control the game and pass, pass, pass. Laudrup, on the other hand, seems to have mixed things up this season. How do you expect him to set you up? Will you sit deep and hit on the counter? Or will you go toe-to-toe as you're more than capable of doing? 

Chris: I think one of the factors of Swansea success is that they are capable of both. Yes, Swansea are slightly more direct this year but it's all relative; Swansea's direct is still pure tiki-taka compared to the majority of the division. There is an awareness that they can soak it up more and can spring a little faster into counters, but that is as much about the maturity of the side in their second year as Laudrup's hand over Rodgers'. It's difficult to predict which way they'll go this weekend, it tends to be a case of Swansea playing the game in front of them than predetermined plans.

Peter: I suspect we'll be a little more defensive than you've seen us previously. Of late, ML has sat us deep in Away performances and set up to hit on the break. Sometimes it's worked (Chelsea COC away), sometimes it hasn't (WHU away PL). My feeling is he won't deviate from that. He is, though, constantly capable of surprise. He's played Dyer as a support striker, Rangel as a defensive MF'er in front of the full back, Michu (often) as a false 9, Shecter in front of Graham etc etc... so I won't know for sure until I see the team sheet.

3. How do you feel about Laudrup? How does he differ from Brendan Rodgers? 

Chris: From a journalistic point of view he's a joy to listen to, very humble given his standing but with a playful wit that can often remind you what a legend in the game is was and still is. Rodgers was a lot more chatty, more willing to talk all things and pass the time of day, a fantastic person to be in the company of in general. Laudrup, as friendly as he is, only tends to speak on football matters and doesn't often go into detail when he doesn't need to. I think that's the same with players where he is more distant compared to Brendan's very hands-on approach to man-management. Neither's better or worse, just different.

Peter: We've learned to trust him. He is an impressive individual - witness his "confession" last week apres QPR that Ash Williams had indeed "got away" with a handball. He has tweaked BR's style by getting the wingers to play narrower so that they're more in the game, he rotates more effectively (we think) than BR did, our tempo and pace is increased, we shoot more, we pass less at the back and more forward. This is not to knock BR, who was, after all, the Manager who got us up here! Still, after yet another change of Gaffer, we're very happy with him.

4. How do you feel Rodgers has done at Liverpool so far?

Chris: As well as can be expected. I think the injury to Lucas hurt him, not just in losing a key player but the knock-on for how he wanted his midfield to shape and get to grips with what he wanted from them. Just take Joey Allen as an example, who had to fill-in and did well but then may have suffered from tiredness of body and mind after a long year - Olympics included - by the time he got the chance to try and push on. The varying issues with the strikers also took time adjusting around but, as pointed out when he first arrived, Rodgers was building on top of things when he went to Swansea and so the impact was very sudden. He is laying foundations at Liverpool - and in the unsympathetic surroundings of the Premier League too - so time had to be given to him. I'm not saying he benefited more from Swansea's existing style than he benefited Swansea - far from it, he was a huge factor in their success - but it is a bigger and longer-term project at Liverpool and that has to be taken into consideration when you see what he's done to date. If given the right time and support there he'll be a hit, of that I have very little doubt.

Peter: I think he's done reasonably well in a difficult situation. Following KD (a genuine icon) was always going to be hard. Whilst he can be "David Brent-ish" with his NLP speak and he can sometimes be stubborn in the extreme, I do think he's begun to move you on. Given the quality of players you attract, I think it's been a learning curve for him, too. I think he's coming to terms with the enormity of his task, but last Monday v WBA and away at Zenit tonight obviously haven't helped. If the owners (and fans) are prepared to sit out the rough times I do think he'll get there.

5. Michu is obviously getting a lot of attention since his arrival, but the other signings in the summer seem to have taken you up a level. How does the scouting work there? Does Laudrup take all the credit given we took most of your backroom team to Anfield with Rodgers? 

Chris: On the contrary, Swansea kept their scouting team which the club have always felt key to really ensuring the philosophy and success stayed. They learned the lessons when Martinez left for Wigan taking their chief scout with him and made sure that wouldn't happen again. It is not to say the manager does not have a big hand in who comes in - look at the signings of both at Swansea to see evidence of that - but Swansea still have the same two chief scouts that make sure only 'Swansea players' come in. Players are bought to fit the system and philosophy and not the other way around.  Of course, Laudrup's Spanish contacts have come in handy but - for example - I know Ki was a target before Rodgers left.

Peter: Prior to BR's removal Huw Jenkins, our Chairman, was cute. David Leadbetter had been recruited as our Chief Scout and he has an excellent reputation from his Middlesbrough days. Similarly, ML recruited one of his men, Erik Larssen, as his Assistant now supplemented by Morten Wieghorst leaving Larssen free to spend time scouting abroad. These moves were key in negating the loss of almost all of Brendan's staff. Continuity was supplied by Alan Curtis, a Swans legend who is nowadays not just a coach but the first team coach. Plus, above all else, ML's personal cachet as a genuinely world class player is hugely influential - we would never have got Michu or Pablo were it not for him.

6. How do you feel Rodgers' signings have done since joining Liverpool in the summer?

Chris: I've mentioned Joey already and he will be a class act for LFC I'm sure - the radio phone-in nonsense about his ability was shown up with the performance he gave for Wales against Austria. I was a big fan of Borini from his Swansea days but he has obviously been unfortunate with injuries and Sturridge is someone who looks to have picked up on what's required of him within a style of play very quickly. I've not really seen enough in depth of the others to give fair comment - you can't judge players on 20 minute highlights, certainly not in sides with this kind of style. 

Peter: I am gutted for Joey Allen in that he seems to have fallen back. Whilst I think you overpaid by about £5m, he is a genuinely cracking player who I still think will go on to do well with. Similarly, when I've heard some of your fans grumble about Fabio Borini I feel for him, too. He had a great spell with us and the one thing I'd point out is that they're both incredibly young still. Patience mon braves. Assaidi and Yesil I haven't seen enough of, but I was disappointed you couldn't accomodate Nuri Sahin, who I'd have had in a heartbeat, were it not for the fact that Borussia Dortmund is perhaps a little more at his level.

7. Which Liverpool player or players should you be keeping an eye on this Sunday?

Chris: All of them - as well as Swansea have done, don't be fooled into thinking they don't respect they are underdogs in almost every game they play. Gerrard and Suarez are probably the boring but accurate answers though.

Peter: Your pricipal threat is Luis Suarez. A real world class player, he was a joy to watch for his ability when you came to us. He was like a big powerful snake - constantly twisting, turning and attacking - and what energy! I swear he played a 1-2 off the excellent Ash Williams' shins and then hit Vorm's side netting with a shot. Amongst the best 5 players I've seen live since we've been in this Division. Danny Sturridge too, if he's fit, I expect to be a threat. And then you've got also the incomparable Steven Gerrard, still one of the best of the PL's elite MF'ers. I rate Pepe Reina too, and I hope to see Joey Allen for old times sake.

8. And what about Swansea?

Chris: Laudrup could do with Vorm having the type of game he did last year in the league, Ashley Williams needs to be at the kind of levels he's been at recently and Leon Britton - if fit - could be key. If he had been five years younger, Rodgers would have been after him. Michu is the obvious one but Pablo Hernandez is a lovely, lovely player when he's on form.

Peter: If he plays Miguel Michu is THE man. I heard him described recently as "long, lean, languid, likeable" and it's on the money. He has been, and is, an absolute gem. Jonathan de Guzman, our Dutch MF'er, is also playing out of his skin. Couple that with the stellar keeper Michel Vorm, and the ticking heartbeat of the team Leon Britton and we should give you a decent game. Check out also the young tyro Ben Davies at LB, and the divine Pablo Hernandez, a Valencia player in a Swansea City shirt.

9. Prediction for Sunday? 

Chris: I've gone for 2-2 in our podcast (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2013/02/14/91466-32809521/?) so I can't change my mind now.

Peter: I fancy a 1-1 draw. You've had a tough week but BR will wind your boys up for a comeback on Sunday. We've had a lazy week in Dubai so I hope to see us get out of the blocks without stumbling.

10. Prediction for both teams' final league position?

Chris: Liverpool 7th, Swansea 9th. But it's still guesswork at this stage.

Peter: Anywhere around the 10th mark for us would be great but if we could go higher than that it would be huge progress. I wouldn't be surprised to see you go on a run that takes you to about 6th/7th. We'll see.[/list]
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:21:14 am by royhendo »

royhendo

Re: Spyin' Kop - Liverpool v Swansea City - 17th February 2013
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:09:29 am »
    Over to you guys.

Offline gollne

• clearance...
    • Legacy Fan
    • Arts pics like ass in the morning
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:58:15 am »
    Great spying kop. Nice bunch. Hope their predictions are wrong though.
    Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
    • RAWK Supporter
    • Legacy Fan
    • Blimey!
    « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:01 am »
    Really nice read that, credit to their supporters who answered who've spoken really well there. Thanks for that!
    And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
    Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
    And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
    And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
    Gratitude

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
    • Legacy Fan
    « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:38:10 am »
    Very good read that. They know their football, and obviously they know us quite well. Perhaps their take on us is about as objective as you can get. If we didnt have the hysteria that we do surrounding us, perhaps we could start to get more balanced views from our fan base.

For me the key bit from that, is how much easier it would be to restructure and build in a less pressured environment. We are a mid table side with all the pressure of a European Giant of a football club. I remember how it weighed so heavy on Utd for all those years, and i also remember the time given to Fergie in order to take the club forward.

i like Swansea, i did last year too. I'm expecting a draw. It does make you laugh though. We have been neck and neck with them all year. They are having a blinder, and we are shit. How does that work. Leagues are not qualative they are quantative. Surely we are as good as Swansea, ergo a good side. Still It seems like the only reference point we ever hark too is our former selves. This is not good enough, but only in relation to that 88 side or the 80 -84 sides. Even the rafa side of 2009 was seen as shit (maybe not shit, but it got booed at anfield), i know because i was guilty of being discontent with it. Remarkable really.

Anyway its all gone for the season now. No more pressure, Rodgers was perhaps guilty of cranking it up a bit when he didnt need to. pressure off go and play. Could be a belter, or could be a game of chess. looking forward to it though, because although our current side can be dissapointing, they can also play a bit, and i'm hoping for a peak aftr a trough.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
    • Legacy Fan
    « Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:39:14 am »
    Nice one Roy. Good words about Allen too.
    Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
    • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    « Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:44:23 am »
    Very interesting thanks for that.

Makes a nice change hearing some balanced opinion given it’s come from a Journalists standpoint, as opposed to hardcore fans where tribalism can rule the roost. I’m sure if you asked a couple of random Swansea fans who didn’t have a reputation to uphold, they’d be less sympathetic of the plight of Borini and Allen in particular.

Agree with the common theme of patience, and as cliché as it may sound, this season was always going to be work in progress.

royhendo

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »
    Thanks for the nice comments. The two contributors put the majority on this site to shame.

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
    • Legacy Fan
    • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
    « Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 05:47:08 am »
    I always read these but don't usually comment.

I have to say that I am surprised at the lack of remarks - is this because everyone is just feeling a bit jaded?

Anyway, I enjoyed reading, Thank you :-)
    http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
    « Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 05:53:25 am »
    This is going to be a tough game, Swansea are a quality side but with Sturridge back I feel we may just nick a win.
    Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
    • Legacy Fan
    « Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 06:47:53 am »
    Great read - clearly know their onions... Patience mon braves indeed!

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
    • Legacy Fan
    • We go again
    « Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 08:13:24 am »
    Haven't seen supporters on the internet be so respectful to another side's supporters in forever. Very classy, wish all football fans were a bit more like that, the world would be an easier place to live in, wouldn't it?
    HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
    « Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 09:14:25 am »
    Classy set, those two. Great work, thanks.
    "If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
    • Legacy Fan
    « Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 09:31:37 am »
    I liked that Roy, nice to see that they still have a respect and fondness for BR, and I could picture him spending all day chatting to them.
    Its not often a team comes up and pretty much establishes themselves as a PL club. You have to admire the structure they've cemented.

They were one of very few teams that were clapped off the park at Anfield last year, although people like to accuse the home support of no longer being "the best fans in the world", they appreciate decent football when its played in front of them.

And I don't expect an easy game tomorrow, I suspect they'll be more offensive than defensive.

Thanks Roy.

royhendo

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 11:08:11 pm »
    Was a pleasure dealing with them John. :)

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
    • RAWK Supporter
    • Legacy Fan
    « Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 11:31:48 pm »
    Great read that, thanks to all involved. Interesting insight into Rodgers' methods

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
    • Legacy Fan
    • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
    « Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 11:58:20 pm »
    Really interesting and different Spyin Kop. Thanks Chris and Peter (and Roy).

Should be a cracking game.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
    • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    « Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 12:29:38 am »
    They clearly know there football. Would be a great game and should be a refreshing change from West Ham vs Villa shit that I had to watch the other week.

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
    • Anny Roader
    • That's how they roll.
    « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 12:44:48 am »
    Think we will get a good result they will be thinking of the League Cup Final and the prospect of Europa league if they can win. 

Good read well done the Spyin Kop
    JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
    • Legacy Fan
    • You may say I'm a Dreamer
    « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 12:46:04 am »
    Very interesting read from two obviously knowledgeable and nice fellas.

Cheers
    The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
    • Legacy Fan
    • Never buy the Sun
      • www.level3football.com
    « Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 06:04:25 am »
    Incredibly interesting to see their comments re Allen. I agree with them too - I reckon Allen will make people look daft in a couple of years.
    You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline payback

• is full of shit, shit and more shit, oh and chillies.
    • Legacy Fan
    « Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 08:25:14 am »
    one of the best spyin kops i've read. thanks to all involved.  :)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
    • Legacy Fan
    « Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 08:42:49 am »

Incredibly interesting to see their comments re Allen. I agree with them too - I reckon Allen will make people look daft in a couple of years.
    :wave  I really hope you're right mate, if I'm feeling daft sometime soon its because Liverpool are in a healthy position, getting the results.

Offline Sarah Deane

• The Artist Formerly Known As sair37. RAWK Pornographer
    • Legacy Fan
    • The only woman to be sacked by Houllier
      • Tales From The City
    « Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 10:35:14 am »
    Great read and very erudite comments, especially what Chris says about Joe Allen. He's kind of assuaged my concerns a bit, in looking at the bigger picture.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
    • RAWK Supporter
    • Legacy Fan
    « Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 11:04:40 am »
    Fair any good answers there. Well in Roy.

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
    • Legacy Fan
    • Don't buy the S*n
    « Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 11:58:32 am »
    Peter wrote: Your pricipal threat is Luis Suarez. A real world class player, he was a joy to watch for his ability when you came to us. He was like a big powerful snake - constantly twisting, turning and attacking - and what energy!... Amongst the best 5 players I've seen live since we've been in this Division

I say, it's a welcomed change to see spying kop have discussion about Luis without negativity and raw emotions. Just concentrate and appreciate the football when discussing the player for a FOOTBALL preview.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
    • Legacy Fan
    • Make us Dream
    « Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 02:26:30 pm »
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/coutinho-starts-follow-live

Philippe Coutinho will make his full Liverpool debut against Swansea at Anfield today - and you can follow live text and audio commentary from 3pm GMT.

Daniel Sturridge returns to the side after missing the Reds' last two games and Jamie Carragher partners Daniel Agger at the heart of the defence.

The Liverpool team in full is: Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Carragher, Lucas, Gerrard, Coutinho, Downing, Sturridge, Suarez. Subs: Gulacsi, Skrtel, Henderson, Shelvey, Sterling, Allen, Borini.

good to see Shelvey and Allen make the bench, lets hope that's where they both stay. It looks a decent team but I feel we will still leak further goals,

It might be a case of, if you score 2 we will score 3, a win to keep the boo boys quiet
    « Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:28:10 pm by Benimar Col »

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
    • Anny Roader
    • That's how they roll.
    « Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:36 pm »
    Think we will get a good result they will be thinking of the League Cup Final and the prospect of Europa league if they can win. 

Good read well done the Spyin Kop

Good prediction by myself
    JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not