Author Topic: Dad 23  (Read 9517 times)

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
Dad 23
« on: February 8, 2013, 06:15:17 am »
Nothing has the power to both age and rejuvenate the soul quite like football. Buried amongst the eulogies for the great Jamie Carragher, who has- just to clarify- neither died nor retired just yet, that much is evident. Tributes for fading legends cascade forth, and it seems the man destined for the Premier League glue factory may yet paddle there on the tears of our collective inner child.

Nearly every man or woman who has held the dream of being a footballer, at some point has to make peace with it. It is just one of football’s many ageisms. The next might be when your idol retires, or indeed realising they are younger than you are. For others, it is watching children being paid in a week what you earn in a year. For those with kids of their own, I can only imagine a whole other set of depressing benchmarks to give your exuberance a kicking.

And so Carragher, fit as a butcher’s dog but now greying at the temples, must have stared into the pitying eyes of his new master Brendan Rodgers and feared that last car ride. ‘Where’s Jamie gone?’ asks Steven Gerrard. ‘A long holiday’ replies Brendan as he bangs the mud off his shovel.

Sportsmen are offered no tonic to age. Even with a heady cocktail of steroids, lies, and the color yellow, Lance Armstrong found his supply of career-Botox finite. For footballers, the Transfer Deadline shines a particularly unflattering light on the crow’s feet of the senior pro.

Around him, Jamie has team-mates almost young enough to be his sons. Had he a little of the Raheem Sterling to him, perhaps grandchildren. One wonders if watching Phillipe Coutinho arrive at Melwood, Carragher questioned whether Liverpool had signed Terry McDermott’s niece. The times they are a-changin’, and in Coutinho and Carragher Liverpool have two players so diametrically opposed, Carragher could kill and eat the slightly-built Brazilian and it’d be written off as food chain justice.

Yet, Carragher’s well-practiced at outlasting arrivals at Anfield, so it’s unlikely that the latest waif with a step-over was what hurried him towards his slippers. He perhaps instead cast fearful glances towards the players leaving Premier League clubs this January, and it was that which led him to call ‘time’.

As he sat there on ‘Deadline Day’, in one of a thousand identical tracksuits, eating his signature dish of plain pasta, I have no doubt Carra flicked over to Sky Sports News curious to see how things were unfolding. For a man who reclines cosily every year knowing the carousel does not let you get on at Bootle, Jim White slinging dimebag rumours would be extra repellent. And when Peter Odemwingie began circling the Queens Park Rangers car park like Collymore on GHB, Carragher was left with only the decision he made. The grim reality of free agent wilderness will hail the retirement of even the bravest of legends.

It will be an emotional procession to retirement, but Jamie I do offer you some solace. Some years ago, in the most time-honoured of ‘wool behaviour’, I popped into the club shop. Struggling to choose my favourite piece of eye-molesting merchandise, I spied none other than Jamie himself at the counter. Of course, I was awestruck.

‘The man is a mountain, go into the dressing room and walk around him’ Shankly said of Ron Yeats, and my mind took the same tour of Jamie. Everything about him was as imagined: that red-faced pre-temper; the wiry frame like six feet of knuckle; pleasantness blended with Scouse agitation. Meeting him is a silly little moment that will stay with me forever.

Why was Jamie there? He was picking up baby-sized home kits with ‘Dad 23’ on the back: one of the cutest damned things you’ll ever see. These days you can see his son James in an almost full size version playing for one of the youth teams, and that really feels like a fact that should age a guy.

And yet it doesn’t. Earlier in the week, Steven Gerrard’s goal against Manchester City brought sadness at the prospect of extinction, but it also reignited the joy of every other goal of his I have burned in my memory. It was strange to know there wouldn’t be many more like it, and yet the goal itself brought all sorts of clichéd childlike wonder, and I felt just that one moment meliorate my entire football soul.

Football gives with one hand, and takes away with the other, but you can bet your life it’ll give it back a moment later. You’re only ever one rewind of the clock away from your next rejuvenation, and that even goes for the immortal Jamie Carragher. So I say to Jamie: don’t worry, there’ll be plenty of moments for you to feel young again. In the meantime, just enjoy a few months of growing old: you've earned it 'Dad 23'.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2013, 06:39:08 am by BreakfastPercy »

royhendo

Re: Dad 23
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2013, 11:59:35 am »
Phenomenal. :)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2013, 12:05:12 pm »
The whole thing is a brilliant piece of writing but I particularly loved this part...

And so Carragher, fit as a butcher’s dog but now greying at the temples, must have stared into the pitying eyes of his new master Brendan Rodgers and feared that last car ride. ‘Where’s Jamie gone?’ asks Steven Gerrard. ‘A long holiday’ replies Brendan as he bangs the mud off his shovel.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2013, 12:05:29 pm »
another brilliant brilliant brilliant post.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2013, 12:06:52 pm »
Class.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline chloec

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »
Bravo, I recall a time we met Jamie ourselves, Brann Bergen away, We found ourselves in the players hotel, my daft brother cops for Jamie and says' how do you know when your getting a game Jamie? Does Roy come in and tickle yer balls'? He was only a kid starting off, I doubt it he'd say the same thing to him now.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2013, 12:11:57 pm »
Superb stuff, absolutely superb  :wellin
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

royhendo

« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2013, 12:12:22 pm »
Stan Collymore straightens his hair as well? Who knew?

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2013, 12:13:40 pm »
Around him, Jamie has team-mates almost young enough to be his sons. Had he a little of the Raheem Sterling to him, perhaps grandchildren. One wonders if watching Phillipe Coutinho arrive at Melwood, Carragher questioned whether Liverpool had signed Terry McDermott’s niece. The times they are a-changin’, and in Coutinho and Carragher Liverpool have two players so diametrically opposed, Carragher could kill and eat the slightly-built Brazilian and it’d be written off as food chain justice.

Oh c'mon !  :D

Superb.

Offline Reepicheep

• Main Stander
  • This is where we fight! This is where they die!
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2013, 12:22:05 pm »
Just an exceptional piece of writing.

:wellin :wellin :wellin
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

Offline Dr_Evil

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2013, 12:22:48 pm »
That's just brilliant. Thanks, BP.
Holy fuck lads I got family home. My computer isn't at a hidden place in the house. They saw the penis.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2013, 12:24:10 pm »
Absolutely lovely.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2013, 12:25:20 pm »
Fantastic piece that!  :wellin

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2013, 12:26:17 pm »
Quite the writer, excellent

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2013, 12:32:05 pm »
the wiry frame like six feet of knuckle

I like.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #15 on: February 8, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »
Great read. :)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2013, 12:34:53 pm »
Wonderful OP - well done !

Favourite bits :

...And so Carragher, fit as a butcher’s dog but now greying at the temples, must have stared into the pitying eyes of his new master Brendan Rodgers and feared that last car ride. ‘Where’s Jamie gone?’ asks Steven Gerrard. ‘A long holiday’ replies Brendan as he bangs the mud off his shovel.

....The times they are a-changin’, and in Coutinho and Carragher Liverpool have two players so diametrically opposed, Carragher could kill and eat the slightly-built Brazilian and it’d be written off as food chain justice.

;D
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 8, 2013, 12:39:19 pm »
Wonderful stuff, bravo.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #18 on: February 8, 2013, 12:44:41 pm »
I really enjoyed that.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline sowellred

• Anny Roader
  • Brainwashing the kids with Anfield delight
« Reply #19 on: February 8, 2013, 12:45:53 pm »
The perfect post.
Yes, we are good enough.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #20 on: February 8, 2013, 12:48:50 pm »
Brilliant OP. :wellin

Offline Ben86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: February 8, 2013, 12:55:11 pm »
Lovely written piece.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #22 on: February 8, 2013, 12:59:43 pm »
Well written, great read that.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 8, 2013, 01:18:37 pm »
Your dad the journalist would be proud   ;D
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #24 on: February 8, 2013, 01:56:12 pm »
Your dad the journalist would be proud   ;D
He has a funny way of showing it  ;D

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 8, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »
Epic mate, quality piece  ;)
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Adamski LFC

• Kopite
  • Polymath, ... I think not
    • Dash Equestrian
« Reply #26 on: February 8, 2013, 02:01:13 pm »
BP Quality yet again, thanks
Hoping not to embarrass oneself should not be the ultimate aim when posting

Offline Red-O

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: February 8, 2013, 02:02:40 pm »
Great stuff.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 8, 2013, 02:23:48 pm »
Simply brilliant.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #29 on: February 8, 2013, 03:29:05 pm »
I rarely post without having something to add to a debate (or to wind up 5th B in the cricket threads), but just want to say thanks for that BP, bloody marvellous.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 8, 2013, 03:32:42 pm »
Wow. What a great piece.

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #31 on: February 8, 2013, 03:39:22 pm »
Fantastic mate, well done.

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 8, 2013, 04:13:53 pm »
Brilliant read.

Really identified with this bit:

Nearly every man or woman who has held the dream of being a footballer, at some point has to make peace with it. It is just one of football’s many ageisms. The next might be when your idol retires, or indeed realising they are younger than you are. For others, it is watching children being paid in a week what you earn in a year.

At 15 years of age I was still convinced my career would be in professional football, despite never playing at county level let alone nationally. Also, watching Michael Owen tear defenders apart in his early years and realising I was idolising someone 6 years younger than me came as a bit of a jolt.

Am dreading the day Gerrard retires. It broke my heart to learn Ian Rush was leaving for Juve, having discovered the news from reading Ceefax on my schools BBC Micro! There were also the departures of Joe Fagan, Kenny (twice) and the retirement of Alan Hansen - all LFC legends I will never stop idolising.

As you say, football takes with one hand but almost always gives it back again. We've been blessed with so many great players and so many special moments over the years. Carra has played an indelible part in that :)

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 8, 2013, 04:20:43 pm »
That is one superb piece of writing!  :wellin :wellin
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #34 on: February 8, 2013, 04:24:25 pm »
Great stuff, Percy.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 8, 2013, 04:40:32 pm »
Tip of the hat. Superb piece of writing.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline bigjinks

• Main Stander
  • Just a Red trying to make his way in the world.
« Reply #36 on: February 8, 2013, 04:47:00 pm »
Best thing I've read in quite a while.
JFT96

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #37 on: February 8, 2013, 04:54:46 pm »
Phenomenal stuff BP, I especially loved the bit about food chain justice.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #38 on: February 8, 2013, 05:00:36 pm »
Nice post Percy. Verbose yet eloquent. K+
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 8, 2013, 07:04:14 pm »
RAWK used to be full of pieces of high quality writing. How great it is to read a piece like that, thanks mate.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.